Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 26 Dec 2010 23:26:23 -0600

785 
ATHW40 PHFO 270525
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
0520 UTC MON DEC 27 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 0430 UTC DECEMBER 27 2010

WATER VAPOR IMAGERY LATE THIS AFTERNOON SHOWS AN UPPER LEVEL TROUGH 
880 MILES WEST NORTHWEST OF KAUAI. THE POINTS OF THE TROUGH AXIS ARE 
AS FOLLOWS...30N169W TO 24N175W TO 15N179W. THE AXIS EXTENDS FURTHER 
TO THE NORTH TO AN UPPER LEVEL LOW AT 37N163W. MULTILAYERED CLOUDS 
OCCUPY THE AREA BETWEEN THE TROUGH AND KAUAI AND FROM 30N TO 20N. 
THERE ARE POCKETS OF EMBEDDED THUNDERSTORMS...ONE OF WHICH IS 
LOCATED CLOSE TO KAUAI. THE 630 PM HST SATELLITE IMAGERY SHOWS A 
LINE OF CUMULONIMBUS CLOUDS /CB/...AND OR THUNDERSTORMS...WITHIN 60 
NM EITHER SIDE OF A LINE FROM 25N160W TO 19N167W...OR 70 MILES 
NORTHWEST OF KAUAI. THE TOPS OF THE CB/S ARE AROUND 41000 FEET. 
SOUTHWEST WINDS EAST OF THE TROUGH HAVE AN AREA OF MAXIMUM WIND 
SPEED POSITIONED TO THE NORTHWEST OF KAUAI. TO THE WEST OF THE UPPER 
TROUGH...IS THE NOSE OF A STRONG JET STREAM OF 135 MPH. 
ALTOGETHER...THE UPPER TROUGH IS ADVANCING EASTWARD AT ABOUT 12 
MPH...AND APPEARS TO BE DEEPENING SOUTH OF 20N.

A LARGE POOL OF TROPICAL MOISTURE...LYING IN WAIT BETWEEN 17N AND 
08N FROM 162W TO 175W...OR 650 MILES SOUTHWEST OF KAUAI...MAY PLAY A 
ROLE LATER ON ON THE ISLAND/S WEATHER SHOULD THE UPPER LEVEL TROUGH 
DEEPENS FURTHER.

ALSO...THE SATELLITE IMAGERY AT SUNSET...SHOWS THE ISLANDS WEST OF 
MOLOKAI BEING INFLUENCED BY VARIOUS TYPE OF CLOUDS FROM CIRRUS TO 
SCATTERED CUMULUS CLOUDS...INCLUDING AN ISOLATED CB/S WITH TOPS TO 
35000 FEET. PATCHES OF CIRRUS CLOUDS ARE PASSING THROUGH THE REST OF 
THE STATE WITH ONLY A SMALL HANDFUL OF LOW CLOUDS HERE AND THERE.
WEATHER RADAR IS DETECTING LITTLE SHOWER ACTIVITY FROM OAHU EASTWARD.
HOWEVER...MORE CIRRUS CLOUDS ARE HEADING IN OUR DIRECTION FROM THE 
SOUTH. SO...LOOK FOR INCREASING HIGH CLOUDS THIS EVENING.

ANOTHER ITEM WORTH MENTIONING...A DRY AIR MASS HAS SETTLED OVER 
MIDWAY ATOLL AND PARTS OF THE NORTHWEST HAWAIIAN ISLANDS REFUGE...
OR THE AREA WEST OF THE UPPER LEVEL TROUGH. PATCHY STABLE 
STRATOCUMULUS CLOUDS ARE NOTED HERE.

THE LOW LEVEL WIND FLOW OVER THE SMALLER OF THE MAIN HAWAIIAN 
ISLANDS IS OUT OF THE SOUTH AT 10 TO 20 MPH...WHILE THE BIG ISLAND 
IS EXPERIENCING SOUTHEAST OF 10 TO 15 MPH.

LOW CLOUD COVERAGE IS MINIMAL WITHIN 160 MILES NORTHEAST OF MAUI 
AND THE BIG ISLAND. SCATTERED TO BROKEN LOW CLOUDS ARE CLOSING IN ON 
THE BIG ISLAND FROM THE SOUTH AND SOUTHEAST HOWEVER.

$$

LAU

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.