Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2010 06:19:27 -0600

076 
ATHW40 PHFO 271218
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
1210 UTC MON DEC 27 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 1130 UTC DECEMBER 27 2010

THE EARLY MONDAY MORNING WATER VAPOR IMAGERY SHOWS A SLOW MOVING 
UPPER LEVEL TROUGH 850 MILES WEST NORTHWEST OF KAUAI. USING THE BACK 
EDGE TO THE AREA OF MULTILAYERED CLOUDS AS THE TROUGH AXIS...SUGGEST 
A SLIGHT EASTWARD PUSH OF THE TROUGH DURING THE PAST 8 HOURS. THE 
POINTS OF THE TROUGH AXIS ARE AS FOLLOWS...30N169W TO 24N174W TO 
15N179W. THERE APPEARS TO BE A VORT MAX AT THE BASE OF THE UPPER 
TROUGH AT 17N177W. A LARGE POOL OF MULTILAYERED CLOUDS OCCUPIES THE 
AREA BETWEEN THE TROUGH AND KAUAI...AND FROM 30N TO 10N. 

SEVERAL AREAS OF DEEP CONVECTION MARK THE EASTERN EDGE TO THE AREA 
OF LAYERED CLOUDS. THE FIRST OF TWO AREAS OF CUMULONIMBUS /CB/... 
THUNDERSTORMS...IS ABOUT 65 MILES EITHER SIDE OF A LINE FROM 
29N155W TO 20N163W. CB TOPS ARE BETWEEN 40000 TO 45000 FEET...WITH 
ITS EASTERN MOST EDGE GRAZING KAUAI COUNTY. THE ISLAND...NIIHAU... 
LOCATED JUST SOUTHWEST OF KAUAI...IS ABOUT TO EXPERIENCE PASSING 
HEAVY SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS.

THE SECOND AREA HAS DEEPER CONVECTION WITH CB TOPS TO 51000 FEET. 
IT LOCATED JUST TO THE SOUTH OF FIRST...FROM 20N163W TO 15N166W TO 
12N170W. THE WIDTH OF THIS AREA IS ABOUT 100 MILES EITHER SIDE. A 
SEPARATE AREA OF DEEP CONVECTION LIES TO THE EAST OF THE SECOND 
AREA...BETWEEN 14N AND 10N...TO 160W. THIS MASS OF CLOUDS HAS 
STARTED ITS NORTHWARD PUSH TOWARDS THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS. DENSE 
HIGH LEVEL CIRRUS CLOUDS IS JUST REACHING THE ISLANDS AS WELL.

AN AREA OF SHOWER BEARING LOW CLOUDS...POSITIONED SOUTHEAST OF THE 
BIG ISLAND EARLIER IN THE EVENING...HAS REACH THE KAU COAST OF THE 
BIG ISLAND THIS HOUR...BRINGING A FEW SHOWERS TO THAT PART OF THE 
STATE. THE TOPS OF THESE SHOWERS ARE BETWEEN 10000 AND 15000 FEET. 
OTHER THAN THAT...REMAINING SMALLER ISLANDS...AND THE REST OF BIG 
ISLAND...HAVE BEEN PRETTY MUCH RAIN FREE. LOW CLOUD COVERAGE TO THE 
EAST AND NORTHEAST OF THE BIG ISLAND AND MAUI CONSIST OF SEVERAL 
POOLS OF CUMULUS CLOUDS CONTAINING A FEW SHOWERS. MORE UNSTABLE 
LOOKING SHOWER BEARING CLOUDS IS LOCATED ABOUT 370 MILES EAST 
SOUTHEAST OF THE BIG ISLAND.

LOW LEVEL WIND FLOW IS MAINLY SOUTHEAST AND SOUTH ACROSS THE MAIN 
HAWAIIAN ISLANDS. THE SPEED RANGES FROM 15 TO 20 MPH OVER THE BIG 
ISLAND END TO 20 TO 25 MPH ELSEWHERE. LAST BUT NOT LEAST...THE AREA 
WEST OF THE UPPER TROUGH...WHICH INCLUDE MIDWAY ATOLL...IS ENJOYING 
FAIR WEATHER WITH STABLE...SHALLOW...STRATOCUMULUS CLOUDS PRESENT. 

$$

LAU

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.