Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2010 12:41:30 -0600

629 
ATHW40 PHFO 271841
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
1830 UTC MON DEC 27 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 1800 UTC DECEMBER 27 2010

WATER VAPOR SHOWS AN UPPER LEVEL TROUGH ABOUT 780 MILES WEST 
NORTHWEST OF KAUAI. LAYERED CLOUDS BLANKET THE AREA FROM THE MAIN 
HAWAIIAN ISLANDS WESTWARD TO THE UPPER LEVEL TROUGH. THESE LAYERED 
CLOUDS COVER NIIHAU...KAUAI AND OAHU AT 8 AM...AND ARE QUICKLY 
SPREADING OVER THE REMAINING ISLANDS. THROUGH THIN SPOTS IN THE 
CLOUDS...IT WOULD APPEAR THAT LOW CLOUDS OVER THE ISLANDS OF MAUI 
COUNTY ARE FOUND OVER THE NORTHERN SHORES OF MOLOKAI...THE NORTHERN 
SLOPES OF LANAI AND THE EAST FACING SLOPES OF HALEAKALA ON MAUI. 

THUNDERSTORMS ARE EMBEDDED WITHIN THE LAYERED CLOUDS...AND 
ADDITIONAL THUNDERSTORMS ARE FORMING OUT AHEAD OF THE MAIN AREA OF 
LAYERED CLOUDS. TO THE SOUTHWEST OF OAHU AT 8 AM...A COUPLE OF 
THUNDERSTORMS ARE NOTED WITH TOPS REACHING NEAR 43000 FEET. ONE 
THUNDERSTORM IS ABOUT 30 MILES SOUTH SOUTHWEST OF HONOLULU...AND 
ANOTHER IS ABOUT 47 MILES WEST OF HONOLULU. 

THERE IS A THICK LAYERED NORTHEAST TO SOUTHWEST BAND OVER KAUAI AND 
NIIHAU THIS MORNING...THAT EXTENDS ABOUT 190 MILES NORTHEAST OF 
KAUAI...AND ALMOST 500 MILES TO THE SOUTHWEST. THE SECTION OF THE 
BAND OVER KAUAI EXTENDS EAST INTO THE KAUAI CHANNEL...TO ABOUT 60 
MILES NORTHWEST OF KAUAI. FURTHER TO THE NORTHWEST...THERE IS AN 
APPROXIMATELY 125 MILES AREA WHERE THE CLOUDS ARE NOT AS THICK. THEN 
THE LEADING EDGE OF ANOTHER NORTHEAST TO SOUTHWEST ORIENTED LAYERED 
CLOUD BAND IS ABOUT 200 MILES NORTHWEST OF KAUAI.

LOW CLOUDS EAST OF THE BIG ISLAND ARE MOVING FROM THE SOUTHEAST 
AROUND 20 MPH. LOW CLOUD MOVEMENT NEAR KAUAI IS DIFFICULT TO DISCERN 
WITH THE LAYERED CLOUDS.

$$

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.