Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2010 18:40:37 -0600

690 
ATHW40 PHFO 280040
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
0030 UTC TUE DEC 28 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 0000 UTC DECEMBER 28 2010

A DEEP UPPER LEVEL TROUGH IS EVIDENT ON WATER VAPOR AROUND 700 MILES 
WEST NORTHWEST OF KAUAI AT 2 PM. LAYERED CLOUDS CONTINUE TO BLANKET 
THE AREA EAST OF THE TROUGH. THESE LAYERED CLOUDS COVER THE SMALLER 
MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS THIS AFTERNOON. THROUGH VISIBLE SATELLITE 
LOOPS...IT WOULD APPEAR THAT MOST OF THE CLOUDS OVER MAUI THIS 
AFTERNOON ARE HIGH CLOUDS...BUT THE CLOUDS ARE THICK ENOUGH TO 
OBSCURE LOWER CLOUDS UNDERNEATH. HIGH CLOUDS STREAM OVER THE BIG 
ISLAND AS WELL THIS AFTERNOON...PARTIALLY OBSCURING THE LOWER CLOUDS 
BENEATH. THROUGH THE USE OF SATELLITE LOOPS AND THIN SPOTS IN THE 
HIGH CLOUDS...LOW CLOUDS APPEAR TO BE CONCENTRATED OVER THE 
SOUTHEAST FACING SLOPES OF THE KAU AND PUNA DISTRICTS.

EMBEDDED THUNDERSTORMS ARE FOUND WITHIN THE LAYERED CLOUDS WEST OF 
MOLOKAI. THUNDERSTORM TOPS ARE REACHING NEAR 45000 FEET. THE CLOUDS 
WITHIN THE LAYERED CLOUDS ARE MOVING FROM THE SOUTH SOUTHWEST...YET 
THE BAND AS A WHOLE HAS NOT MOVED MUCH TO THE EAST OR WEST IN THE 
LAST SIX HOURS. LOW CLOUDS EAST OF THE BIG ISLAND CONTINUE TO MOVE 
FROM THE SOUTHEAST AROUND 20 MPH.

SHORTLY AFTER SUNRISE...A RELATIVE BREAK WAS NOTED BETWEEN THE BAND 
OVER KAUAI AND OAHU AND THE NEXT BAND TO THE NORTHWEST. OVER THE 
LAST SIX HOURS THE CLOUDS HAVE FILLED IN.

$$

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.