Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2010 23:30:13 -0600

455 
ATHW40 PHFO 280530
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
0530 UTC TUE DEC 28 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 0500 UTC DECEMBER 28 2010

A DEEP UPPER LEVEL TROUGH IS EVIDENT ON THE WATER VAPOR SATELLITE 
CHANNEL AROUND 900 MILES WEST OF KAUAI. THE TROUGH EXTENDS NORTH TO 
SOUTH ALONG 175W. WINDS ALOFT EAST OF THE TROUGH ARE DIVERGENT... 
COMING OUT OF THE SOUTH-SOUTHWEST OVER KAUAI AND OAHU...AND OUT OF 
THE WEST-SOUTHWEST OVER THE REST OF THE STATE. SUCH DIFFLUENT FLOW 
AT UPPER LEVELS OF THE ATMOSPHERE AID AND ABET THE FORMATION OF 
WIDESPREAD SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS.

NUMEROUS THUNDERSTORMS WERE LOCATED IN A TRIANGULAR SHAPED AREA 
BOUNDED BY 25N160W TO 11N155W TO 15N165W TO 25N160W. ADDITIONAL 
THUNDERSTORMS WERE LOCATED SOUTHWEST OF THE ISLANDS IN AN AREA FROM 
15N TO 23N BETWEEN 166W AND 171W.

OVERCAST HIGH CLOUDS BLOWN OFF THE TOPS OF THE THUNDERSTORMS OBSCURE 
THE CLOUDS BELOW...BUT NEXRAD INDICATES THAT THERE ARE MERGING CLOUD 
LAYERS ALL THE WAY UP TO 35 THOUSAND FEET. THIS IS IN GOOD AGREEMENT 
WITH SATELLITE-DERIVED CLOUD TOPS.

ALSO EAST OF THE TROUGH ALOFT IS A SOUTHWEST TO NORTHEAST JETSTREAM 
RUNNING THROUGH 30N170W...OR ABOUT 800 MILES NORTHWEST OF KAUAI. THE 
JETSTREAM IS CARRYING HIGH CLOUDS FROM THE THUNDERSTORMS ALL THE WAY 
TO NORTHERN CALIFORNIA...WASHINGTON...AND OREGON.

THE AREA AS A WHOLE...CONSISTING OF MULTILAYERED CLOUDS AND EMBEDDED 
THUNDERSTORMS...LAYS FROM 10N TO 30N BETWEEN 150W AND 175W. THE AREA 
IS NEARLY STATIONARY.

$$

CRAIG

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.