Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2010 18:41:54 -0600

039 
ATHW40 PHFO 290041
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
0030 UTC WED DEC 29 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 0000 UTC DECEMBER 29 2010

WATER VAPOR IMAGERY SHOWS AN UPPER LEVEL LOW NEAR 16N171W...OR ABOUT 
900 MILES SOUTHWEST OF KAUAI. THIS LOW IS MOVING TO THE EAST AT 15 
MPH. ISOLATED CUMULONIMBUS CLOUDS ARE LOCATED SOUTHEAST OF THE 
LOW...GENERALLY FROM 12N TO 15N BETWEEN 166W AND 171W. CLOUD TOPS 
EXTEND UP TO 36000 FT. INDIVIDUAL CONVECTIVE CELLS ARE SHORT LIVED 
AND ARE MOVING TO THE EAST NORTHEAST AT 10 TO 15 MPH. CIRRUS DEBRIS 
CLOUDS FROM THE EARLY CONVECTION ARE MOVING TO THE NORTHEAST AT 30 
TO 40 MPH. 

THE LOW IS PART OF A LONGWAVE TROUGH THAT EXTENDS NORTH THROUGH 
30N168W. BROKEN LAYERED CLOUDS ARE LOCATED EAST OF THE TROUGH... 
GENERALLY BETWEEN 153W AND 167W...COVERING MUCH OF THE MAIN HAWAIIAN 
ISLANDS. THESE CLOUDS ARE MOVING TO THE NORTH NORTHEAST AT 50 TO 60 
MPH. ISOLATED CUMULONIMBUS CLOUDS ARE EMBEDDED WITHIN THE LAYERED 
CLOUDS...GENERALLY NORTH OF 22N BETWEEN 159W AND 164W. INDIVIDUAL 
CONVECTIVE CELLS ARE MOVING TO THE NORTH NORTHEAST AT 20 MPH. CLOUD 
TOPS EXTEND UP TO 40000 FT. 

ADDITIONAL CUMULONIMBUS CLOUDS ARE LOCATED SOUTH OF 12N BETWEEN 151W 
AND 159W. THESE CLOUDS ARE LOCATED ALONG A PORTION OF THE 
INTERTROPICAL CONVERGENCE ZONE. CLOUD TOPS WITHIN THIS AREA EXTEND 
UP TO 50000 FT. CIRRUS DEBRIS CLOUDS FROM THIS CONVECTION EXTEND 
NORTHWARD...AND MERGE WITH THE MIDDLE AND HIGH LEVEL LAYERED CLOUDS 
DESCRIBED ABOVE. 

FARTHER EAST...AREAS OF LOW CLOUDS ARE EMBEDDED WITHIN A RETURNING 
TRADE WIND FLOW. BASED ON LOW-CLOUD MOTIONS...A SURFACE RIDGE IS 
LOCATED FROM 28N140W TO NEAR 27N152W. NORTH OF 24N...CLOUDS ARE 
BROKEN TO OVERCAST IN COVERAGE AND ARE COMPOSED PRIMARILY OF STABLE 
CLOSED CELL CUMULUS ELEMENTS. SOUTH OF 24N...CLOUDS ARE GENERALLY 
SCATTERED TO BROKEN IN COVERAGE AND ARE COMPOSED PRIMARILY OF 
SHOWERY OPEN CELL CUMULUS ELEMENTS. NORTH OF THE RIDGE...CLOUD 
MOTIONS ARE TO THE NORTH AND NORTHEAST AT 10 TO 15 MPH. SOUTH OF THE 
RIDGE...CLOUD MOTIONS ARE TO THE WEST AND NORTHWEST AT 10 TO 15 MPH. 
SOUTH OF 22N...CLOUD MOTIONS ARE TO THE WEST AT 25 TO 30 MPH. 

THE WIDESPREAD MIDDLE AND HIGH LEVEL LAYERED CLOUDS NEAR THE STATE 
ARE BEGINNING TO SHOW SOME BREAKS IN COVERAGE. HOWEVER...THEY 
CONTINUE TO OBSCURE MOST LOW-CLOUD FEATURES ACROSS THE MAIN HAWAIIAN 
ISLANDS. THE CLOUDS ARE THICKEST ACROSS MAUI COUNTY...FROM THE 
COASTAL WATERS SOUTH AND EAST OF OAHU TO THE COASTAL WATERS JUST 
WEST OF THE BIG ISLAND. CLOUD TOPS WITHIN THIS AREA EXTEND UP TO 
20000 FT. THESE CLOUDS ARE MOVING TO THE NORTH NORTHEAST AT 15 TO 20 
MPH. 

$$

BRAVENDER

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.