Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2010 18:40:33 -0600

045 
ATHW40 PHFO 300040
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
0030 UTC THU DEC 30 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 0000 UTC DECEMBER 30 2010

WATER VAPOR IMAGERY SHOWS A CLOSED UPPER LEVEL LOW IS CENTERED AT 
16N168W. ON THE EASTERN FLANK OF THE UPPER LOW AN AREA OF LAYERED 
CLOUDS WITH EMBEDDED THUNDERSTORMS COVERS AN AREA FROM 11N TO 18N 
AND 161W TO 167W. CUMULONIMBUS /CB/ CLOUD TOPS REACH TO 46 KFT IN 
THE VERTICAL. DIRECTLY NORTH-NORTHEAST OF THE OF THIS BAND OF 
CLOUDS...SEVERAL STREAMS OF SCATTERED TO BROKEN MIDDLE AND HIGH 
CLOUDS ARE MOVING TO THE NORTH PASSING DIRECTLY OVER THE MAIN 
HAWAIIAN ISLANDS TO AROUND 28N. THE NORTHWARD MOVEMENT IS DICTATED 
BY SOUTHERLY WINDS ALOFT EAST OF THE UPPER LEVEL LOW. THE UPPER LOW 
HAS A SURFACE TROUGH REFLECTION FROM 30N158W TO 18N175W AND IS 
CURRENTLY LIFTING TO THE NORTHEAST AT THIS TIME. NORTH OF 28N...THE 
TROUGH IS JOINED WITH A FRONT AND THEN CONNECTED TO A SHORTWAVE LOW 
CENTERED AT 34N154W. ABUNDANT LAYERED CLOUDS ASSOCIATED WITH THE 
FRONT AND DEEPENING UPPER LEVEL LONGWAVE TROUGH WEST OF THIS AREA.

A COLD FRONT IS LOCATED FAR TO THE NORTHWEST ALONG A LINE THROUGH 
38N167W TO 30N170W TO 25N180E AND AWAY TO THE SOUTHWEST. THE 
FRONT...WHICH CONSISTS OF A 200 MILE WIDE BAND OF OVERCAST LOW 
CLOUDS. THE CLOUDS BECOME LAYERED NORTH OF 30N.

CLOSED-CELL CUMULUS CLOUDS COVER THE AREA NORTH OF 19N AND EAST OF 
154W. THESE CLOUDS ARE PARTIALLY OBSCURED ON SATELLITE BY THE 
PASSING UPPER LEVEL CLOUDS ACROSS THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS. LOW 
CLOUDS CAN BE SEEN ACROSS LEEWARD BIG ISLAND AND THE LOWER SLOPES OF 
HALEAKALA WITH FEW LOW CLOUDS OVER THE REST OF THE ISLANDS AND 
ADJACENT WATERS. THE REMAINING ISLANDS ARE COMPLETELY OR PARTIALLY 
OBSCURED BY THE HIGHER CLOUDS ON SATELLITE.

$$

FOSTER

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.