Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2010 23:30:32 -0600

832 
ATHW40 PHFO 300530
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
0530 UTC THU DEC 30 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 0500 UTC DECEMBER 30 2010

TO THE NORTHWEST...A PAIR OF NEARLY STATIONARY CLOUD BANDS 
ASSOCIATED WITH FRONTS EXTENDED ACROSS HAWAIIAN WATERS. THE MORE 
SUBSTANTIAL BAND OF DEEP LAYERED CLOUDS WAS LOCATED WITHIN 90 MILES 
OF THE CURVE FROM 25N 180 TO 28N 172W TO 30N 167W AND FURTHER WEST 
AND NORTHEAST. THE FRAGMENTING BAND OF DISSIPATING LOW TO MIDDLE 
CLOUD LAYERS WAS LOCATED WITHIN 60 MILES OF THE CURVE FROM 18N 177W 
TO 19N 174W TO 21N 174W TO 30N 160W AND FURTHER NORTHEAST. LOOSELY 
PACKED COLD-AIR CUMULI PREVAILED BETWEEN THE NORTHERNMOST BAND AND 
30N.

TO THE SOUTH...THERE WAS LITTLE THUNDERSTORM ACTIVITY TO MARK AN 
ITCZ. LAYERED LOW TO MIDDLE DEBRIS CLOUDS FROM EARLIER CONVECTION 
MOSTLY OBSCURED LOWER FEATURES BETWEEN 10N AND 02N. HOWEVER... 
ISOLATED THUNDERSTORMS AND THEIR DEEP LAYERED DEBRIS CLOUDS 
ASSOCIATED WITH A TROUGH OF LOW PRESSURE OCCURRED WITHIN THE AREA 
BOUNDED BY THE CURVE FROM 19N 164W TO 14N 159W TO 09N 160W TO 05N 
168W TO 07N 174W TO15N 166W.

THIN LAYERED HIGH TO MIDDLE CLOUD LAYERS FOLLOWING A JET STREAM 
NORTHEAST FROM THOSE THUNDERSTORMS...TOGETHER WITH SOMEWHAT MORE 
SUBSTANTIAL CLOUD LAYERS FORMING IN ASSOCIATION WITH A WEAK TROUGH 
OF LOW PRESSURE IN THE MIDDLE ATMOSPHERE...MOSTLY TO PARTLY 
OBSCURED LOWER FEATURES NORTH OF THE CURVE FROM 30N 161W TO 19N 
164W TO 19N 157W TO 25N 140W.

LOWER IN THE ATMOSPHERE...A LAYER OF MARINE STRATUS MOVING IN FROM 
THE NORTHEAST BROKE UP INTO FRAGMENTS AND BANDS OF MARINE 
STRATOCUMULUS IN THE CORNER NORTH OF 10N AND EAST OF 157W. THESE 
CLOUDS GENERALLY MOVED TOWARD THE WEST NORTHWEST AT 15 TO 20 MILES 
AN HOUR...AND ROSE TO HEIGHTS OF 6000 TO 8000 FEET...THOUGH A FEW 
TALLER CUMULI ALONG THE SOUTHWEST EDGE OF THIS AREA APPROACHED 18000 
FEET.

ACROSS THE MAIN HAWAIIAN WATERS...HIGH TO MIDDLE CLOUD LAYERS PARTLY 
OBSCURED LOWER FEATURES. WHERE THEY WERE VISIBLE...LOWER CLOUDS 
CONSISTED MOSTLY OF DAYTIME CUMULUS BUILDUPS OVER HIGHER SLOPES 
INLAND...THOUGH A FEW MARINE CUMULI ALSO MOVED ASHORE ALONG SLOPES 
FACING EAST. AREAS WITH THE MOST CLOUD COVER INCLUDED CENTRAL 
KAUAI...SOUTHEAST OAHU...EAST MOLOKAI...THE WEST MAUI MOUNTAINS... 
MOST MIDDLE SLOPES OF HALEAKALA ON MAUI...AND MOST LOWER TO MIDDLE 
SLOPES OF THE BIG ISLAND. THESE LOWER CLOUDS GENERALLY ROSE TO 
HEIGHTS OF 5000 TO 8000 FEET. RADAR DATA FROM NEAR THE ISLANDS 
SHOWED SCATTERED SHOWERS OFFSHORE WELL TO THE WEST OF KAUAI AND 
SOUTHEAST OF THE BIG ISLAND...BUT ISOLATED SHOWERS AT MOST ELSEWHERE.

$$

RYSHKO

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.