Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2010 06:08:25 -0600

508 
ATHW40 PHFO 301207
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
1230 UTC THU DEC 30 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 1200 UTC DECEMBER 30 2010

TO THE NORTHWEST...A PAIR OF SLOWLY DISSIPATING CLOUD BANDS 
ASSOCIATED WITH WEAKENING FRONTS EXTENDED ACROSS HAWAIIAN WATERS. 
THE MORE SUBSTANTIAL BAND OF DEEP LAYERED CLOUDS WAS LOCATED WITHIN 
75 MILES OF THE CURVE FROM 25N 180 TO 28N 173W TO 30N 164W AND 
FURTHER WEST AND NORTHEAST. THE MORE BROKEN-UP BAND OF LOW TO MIDDLE 
CLOUD LAYERS AND STRATOCUMULUS FRAGMENTS WITH A FEW TOWERING CUMULI 
EMBEDDED NEAR 30N WAS LOCATED WITHIN 75 MILES OF THE CURVE FROM 17N 
180W TO 19N 174W TO 23N 173W TO 30N 159W AND FURTHER NORTHEAST. 
THESE FEATURES SHIFTED EAST SLOWLY. LOOSELY PACKED COLD-AIR CUMULI 
PREVAILED BETWEEN THE NORTHERNMOST BAND AND 30N.

TO THE SOUTH...THERE WAS LITTLE THUNDERSTORM ACTIVITY TO MARK AN 
ITCZ. LAYERED LOW TO MIDDLE DEBRIS CLOUDS FROM EARLIER CONVECTION 
MOSTLY OBSCURED LOWER FEATURES BETWEEN 08N AND 02N. HOWEVER... 
ISOLATED THUNDERSTORMS AND THEIR DEEP LAYERED DEBRIS CLOUDS 
ASSOCIATED WITH A TROUGH OF LOW PRESSURE OCCURRED WITHIN THE AREA 
BOUNDED BY THE CURVE FROM 14N 163W TO 10N 158W TO 08N 159W TO 04N 
174W TO 08N 176W TO 12N 168W.

THIN LAYERED HIGH TO MIDDLE CLOUD LAYERS FOLLOWING A JET STREAM 
NORTHEAST FROM THOSE THUNDERSTORMS...TOGETHER WITH SOMEWHAT MORE 
SUBSTANTIAL CLOUD LAYERS FORMING IN ASSOCIATION WITH A WEAK TROUGH 
OF LOW PRESSURE IN THE MIDDLE ATMOSPHERE...MOSTLY TO PARTLY OBSCURED 
LOWER FEATURES WITHIN 100 MILES OF THE LINE FROM 19N 166W TO 12N 
163W...AND NORTH OF THE CURVE FROM 30N 158W TO 22N 166W TO 22N 157W 
TO 25N 140W.

LOWER IN THE ATMOSPHERE...A LAYER OF MARINE STRATUS MOVING IN FROM 
THE NORTHEAST BROKE UP INTO FRAGMENTS AND BANDS OF MARINE CUMULUS 
AND STRATOCUMULUS IN THE CORNER NORTH OF 10N AND EAST OF 160W... 
THOUGH THE SOLID OVERCAST WAS LIMITED MOSTLY TO NORTH OF 17N AND 
EAST OF 150W. THESE CLOUDS GENERALLY MOVED TOWARD THE WEST SOUTHWEST 
AT 15 TO 20 MILES AN HOUR...AND ROSE TO HEIGHTS OF 6000 TO 9000 
FEET...THOUGH A FEW TOWERING CUMULI ALONG THE SOUTHWEST EDGE OF 
THIS AREA APPROACHED 22000 FEET.

ACROSS THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS...HIGH TO MIDDLE CLOUD LAYERS 
OBSCURED LOWER FEATURES MOSTLY OVER KAUAI COUNTY...AND PARTLY OVER 
OAHU. WHERE THEY WERE VISIBLE...LOWER CLOUDS CONSISTED MAINLY OF 
MARINE CUMULI AND STRATOCUMULI MOVING ASHORE ALONG SLOPES FACING 
EAST...ESPECIALLY ON MAUI AND THE BIG ISLAND. A FEW REMNANTS OF 
LAYERED DEBRIS CLOUDS FROM DAYTIME CUMULUS BUILDUPS ON WEDNESDAY 
STILL LANGUISHED IN PLACES...MOSTLY ALONG LOWER WEST SLOPES OF THE 
BIG ISLAND. THESE LOWER CLOUDS GENERALLY ROSE TO HEIGHTS OF 6000 TO 
9000 FEET. RADAR DATA FROM NEAR THE ISLANDS SHOWED SCATTERED SHOWERS 
OVER THE KOOLAU RANGE ON OAHU...ALONG THE SOUTHEAST COAST OF THE BIG 
ISLAND...AND OFFSHORE TO THE NORTH OF MOLOKAI....BUT ISOLATED 
SHOWERS AT MOST ELSEWHERE.

$$

RYSHKO

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.