Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2010 23:26:33 -0600

338 
ATHW40 PHFO 310526
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
0530 UTC FRI DEC 31 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 0500 UTC DECEMBER 31 2010

TO THE NORTHWEST...A PAIR OF SLOWLY DISSIPATING CLOUD BANDS 
ASSOCIATED WITH WEAKENING FRONTS EXTENDED ACROSS HAWAIIAN WATERS. 
THE MORE SUBSTANTIAL BAND OF DEEP LAYERED CLOUDS WAS LOCATED WITHIN 
200 MILES OF THE CURVE FROM 27N 180 TO 30N 175W AND FURTHER 
SOUTHWEST AND NORTHEAST. THE MORE BROKEN-UP BAND OF LOW TO MIDDLE 
CLOUD LAYERS AND STRATOCUMULUS FRAGMENTS WAS LOCATED WITHIN 60 MILES 
OF THE CURVE FROM 18N 180W TO 26N 172W TO 30N 158W AND FURTHER WEST 
AND NORTHEAST. HIGH AND LOW LAYERS OF THE NORTHERNMOST BAND MOVED IN 
OPPOSITE DIRECTIONS...WHILE THE SOUTHERNMOST BAND SHIFTED NORTHWEST 
SLOWLY.

TO THE SOUTH...THERE WAS LITTLE THUNDERSTORM ACTIVITY TO MARK AN 
ITCZ. LAYERED LOW TO MIDDLE DEBRIS CLOUDS FROM EARLIER CONVECTION 
MOSTLY OBSCURED LOWER FEATURES BETWEEN 11N AND 01N. HOWEVER... 
ISOLATED THUNDERSTORMS ASSOCIATED WITH A TROUGH OF LOW PRESSURE 
DEVELOPED WITHIN 60 MILES OF THE POINT 08N 158W...AND THEIR DEEP 
LAYERED DEBRIS CLOUDS OBSCURED LOWER FEATURES WITHIN THE AREA 
BOUNDED BY THE CURVE FROM 13N 158W TO 09N 147W TO 04N 161W TO 07N 
173W TO 13N 166W.

MIDDLE TO HIGH CLOUD LAYERS FORMING IN ASSOCIATION WITH A WEAK 
TROUGH OF LOW PRESSURE IN THE MIDDLE ATMOSPHERE OBSCURED LOWER 
FEATURES NORTH OF THE CURVE FROM 30N 165W TO 19N 170W TO 25N 149W TO 
20N 140W.

LOWER IN THE ATMOSPHERE...A LAYER OF MARINE STRATUS MOVING IN FROM 
THE NORTHEAST BROKE UP INTO FRAGMENTS AND BANDS OF MARINE CUMULUS 
AND STRATOCUMULUS IN THE CORNER NORTH OF 13N AND EAST OF 166W. THESE 
CLOUDS GENERALLY MOVED TOWARD THE WEST SOUTHWEST AT 15 TO 20 MILES 
AN HOUR...AND ROSE TO HEIGHTS OF 6000 TO 9000 FEET...THOUGH A FEW 
TOWERING CUMULI ALONG THE SOUTHWEST EDGE OF THIS AREA APPROACHED 
20000 FEET.

ACROSS THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS...HIGH TO MIDDLE CLOUD LAYERS 
OBSCURED LOWER FEATURES MOSTLY OVER KAUAI COUNTY...AND PARTLY OVER 
OAHU AND MOLOKAI. WHERE THEY WERE VISIBLE...LOWER CLOUDS CONSISTED 
ABOUT EQUALLY OF MARINE CUMULI AND STRATOCUMULI MOVING ASHORE ALONG 
SLOPES FACING EAST AND LAYERED DEBRIS CLOUDS FROM AFTERNOON CUMULUS 
BUILDUPS OVER HIGHER TERRAIN. BANDING IN THE STRATOCUMULI OVER OAHU 
PARALLEL TO THE KOOLAU RANGE IMPLIED THE PRESENCE OF TURBULENCE 
WITHIN THAT LAYER. AREAS WITH THE GREATEST CLOUD COVER INCLUDED 
EAST-CENTRAL KAUAI...NORTHEAST OAHU...THE WEST MAUI MOUNTAINS... 
NORTHWEST MIDDLE SLOPES OF HALEAKALA ON MAUI...AND MOST LOWER TO 
MIDDLE SLOPES OF THE BIG ISLAND EXCEPT IN THE KAU DESERT REGION. 
THESE LOWER CLOUDS GENERALLY ROSE TO HEIGHTS OF 5000 TO 7000 FEET. 
RADAR DATA FROM NEAR THE ISLANDS SHOWED SCATTERED SHOWERS OFFSHORE 
WELL TO THE SOUTHEAST OF THE BIG ISLAND...BUT ISOLATED SHOWERS AT 
MOST ELSEWHERE.

$$

RYSHKO

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.