

by postoffice.cso.uiuc.edu (8.8.5/8.8.5) with SMTP id SAA08902;
Tue, 26 Aug 1997 18:54:27 -0500
Received: from POSTOFFICE.CSO.UIUC.EDU by POSTOFFICE.CSO.UIUC.EDU
(LISTSERV-TCP/IP release 1.8b) with spool id 6112838 for
[email-masked]; Tue, 26 Aug 1997 18:54:20 +1900
Received: from delyte.lib.siu.edu (delyte.lib.siu.edu [131.230.73.222]) by
postoffice.cso.uiuc.edu (8.8.5/8.8.5) with ESMTP id SAA256920 for
<[email-masked]>; Tue, 26 Aug 1997 18:54:17 -0500
Received: (from ldm@localhost) by delyte.lib.siu.edu (8.8.6/8.8.6) id SAA23810
for [email-masked]; Tue, 26 Aug 1997 18:53:07 -0500 (CDT)
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Date:	Tue, 26 Aug 1997 18:53:07 -0500
Reply-To: [email-masked]
Sender: WX-TROPL Tropical Storm and Hurricane WX products <[email-masked]>
From:	SIU Weather Processor <[email-masked]>
Subject:      Pacific-EN: Hurricane Jimena Special Discussion Number   6
To:	Multiple recipients of list WX-TROPL <[email-masked]>
X-UIDL: 5d74f9c228d6b76032eef260b3c9093d
X-Mozilla-Status: 0001
Content-Length: 1955
Status: OR

738
WTPZ42 KNHC 262353
TCDEP2
HURRICANE JIMENA SPECIAL DISCUSSION NUMBER   6
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MIAMI FL
5 PM PDT TUE AUG 26 1997

JIMENA IS UPGRADED TO A HURRICANE AND THE TRACK IS SHIFTED A LITTLE
TO THE RIGHT IN THIS SPECIAL ADVISORY.

IR AND VISIBLE PICTURES FIRST SHOWED AN EYE DEVELOPING AROUND
1930Z...ABOUT A HALF A DAY AFTER A SIMILAR FEATURE WAS SEEN IN SSM/I
85 GHZ DATA.  CLEARLY...FOLLOW-UP WORK ON THE USE OF SUCH 85 GHZ
IMAGERY IS NECESSARY.  OBJECTIVE T-NUMBERS HAVE AVERAGED ABOUT 6.0
OVER THE PAST 3 HOURS.  THIS EQUATES TO 115 KT...BUT THERE IS SOME
HISTORY TO USING A SOMEWHAT LOWER ESTIMATE FOR SYSTEMS AS SMALL AS
JIMENA...WHICH CAN SHOW RATHER EXTREME FLUCTUATIONS DURING SHORT
PERIODS...SO THE ESTIMATE FOR THIS ADVISORY IS 90 KT.

TRACKING THE EYE OVER THE PAST SEVERAL HOURS GIVES A GREATER
NORTHWARD COMPONENT THAN PREVIOUS NOTED...345/5 KT.  THE TRACK IS
SHIFTED TO ACCOMMODATE THIS HEADING.

THERE IS SOME INDICATION THAT THE TROUGH ALOFT CONTAINS A WEAK
VORTMAX JUST WEST OF JIMENA.  IT IS POSSIBLE THAT THIS FEATURE HAS
HELPED THE TROPICAL CYCLONE INTENSIFY AND GIVEN THE NORTHWARD NUDGE.
ON A BROADER SCALE...OUTFLOW TOWARDS THE NORTHEAST CONTINUES TO BE
ENHANCED.

RAPPAPORT

FORECAST POSITIONS AND MAX WINDS

INITIAL     27/0000Z 12.2N 135.7W    90 KTS
12HR VT     27/0600Z 12.6N 136.0W   115 KTS
24HR VT     27/1800Z 13.3N 136.9W   115 KTS
36HR VT     28/0600Z 14.1N 138.2W   105 KTS
48HR VT     28/1800Z 15.1N 140.0W   105 KTS
72HR VT     29/1800Z 17.0N 143.5W    90 KTS

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message.  For help with the
WX-TROPL or WX-TALK discussion groups write to [email-masked] or see
http://www.inlink.com/~landmb/intro.html.  For more information on
tropical weather products, see the NCEP Products Homepage at
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/nhcprod.html.