

by postoffice.cso.uiuc.edu (8.8.5/8.8.5) with SMTP id AAA44378;
Sun, 9 Nov 1997 00:13:57 -0600
Received: from POSTOFFICE.CSO.UIUC.EDU by POSTOFFICE.CSO.UIUC.EDU
(LISTSERV-TCP/IP release 1.8b) with spool id 6933828 for
[email-masked]; Sun, 9 Nov 1997 00:13:46 -0600
Received: from delyte.lib.siu.edu (delyte.lib.siu.edu [131.230.73.222]) by
postoffice.cso.uiuc.edu (8.8.5/8.8.5) with ESMTP id AAA17370 for
<[email-masked]>; Sun, 9 Nov 1997 00:08:56 -0600
Received: (from ldm@localhost) by delyte.lib.siu.edu (8.8.7/8.8.7) id AAA12493
for [email-masked]; Sun, 9 Nov 1997 00:08:56 -0600 (CST)
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Date:	Sun, 9 Nov 1997 00:08:56 -0600
Reply-To: [email-masked]
Sender: WX-TROPL Tropical Storm and Hurricane WX products <[email-masked]>
From:	SIU Weather Processor <[email-masked]>
Subject:      Pacific-EN: Hurricane Rick Special Advisory Number   7
To:	Multiple recipients of list WX-TROPL <[email-masked]>
X-UIDL: 7420c94e69dda3a2174b6332597fea86
Status: RO
X-Mozilla-Status: 8001

095
WTPZ34 KNHC 090609
TCPEP4
BULLETIN
HURRICANE RICK SPECIAL ADVISORY NUMBER   7
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MIAMI FL
10 PM PST SAT NOV 08 1997

..RICK BECOMES A HURRICANE...EXPECTED TO REACH THE COAST OF
MEXICO ON SUNDAY...

AT 10 PM PST...0600Z...THE GOVERNMENT OF MEXICO HAS ISSUED A
HURRICANE WARNING FROM LAZARO CARDENAS TO PUERTO ESCONDIDO
...INCLUDING ACAPULCO.  PREPARATIONS TO PROTECT LIFE AND PROPERTY
SHOULD BE RUSHED TO COMPLETION.

AT 10 PM PST...0600Z...THE CENTER OF HURRICANE RICK WAS LOCATED BY
SATELLITE NEAR LATITUDE 15.1 NORTH...LONGITUDE 101.0 WEST OR ABOUT
140 MILES...225 KM...SOUTHWEST OF ACAPULCO MEXICO.

RICK IS MOVING TOWARD THE NORTHEAST NEAR 13 MPH ...20 KM/HR...AND
THIS MOTION IS EXPECTED TO CONTINUE DURING THE NEXT 24 HOURS.  ON
THIS TRACK...THE CENTER OF RICK SHOULD BE NEAR THE COAST OF MEXICO
WITHIN THE WARNING AREA BY SUNDAY AFTERNOON.  HOWEVER...WEATHER
CONDITIONS SHOULD BEGIN TO DETERIORATE EARLIER.

RADAR FROM ACAPULCO AND SATELLITE IMAGES INDICATE THAT AN EYE HAS
DEVELOPED...SUGGESTING THAT RICK HAS REACHED HURRICANE STRENGTH.
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS ARE NEAR 75 MPH...120 KM/HR...WITH HIGHER
GUSTS.  SOME FLUCTUATIONS IN INTENSITY ARE POSSIBLE BEFORE LANDFALL.

HURRICANE FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP TO  25 MILES... 35 KM...
FROM THE CENTER...AND TROPICAL STORM FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP
TO 115 MILES...185 KM.

ESTIMATED MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE IS  987 MB...29.15 INCHES.

RICK IS EXPECTED TO BRING HEAVY RAINS...5 TO 10 INCHES...TO AREAS
ALREADY AFFECTED BY PREVIOUS TROPICAL SYSTEMS THIS YEAR.   THIS
COULD CAUSE LIFE-THREATENING FLASH FLOODS AND MUDSLIDES.

REPEATING THE 10 PM PST POSITION...15.1 N...101.0 W.  MOVEMENT
TOWARD...NORTHEAST NEAR 13 MPH.  MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS... 75 MPH.
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE... 987 MB.

THE NEXT ADVISORY WILL BE ISSUED BY THE NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER AT
1 AM PST...SUNDAY.

AVILA

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message.  For help with the
WX-TROPL or WX-TALK discussion groups write to [email-masked] or see
http://www.inlink.com/~landmb/intro.html.  For more information on
tropical weather products, see the NCEP Products Homepage at
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/nhcprod.html.