

by postoffice.cso.uiuc.edu (8.8.8/8.8.8) with SMTP id UAA39948;
Sat, 26 Dec 1998 20:24:43 -0600
Received: from POSTOFFICE.CSO.UIUC.EDU by POSTOFFICE.CSO.UIUC.EDU
(LISTSERV-TCP/IP release 1.8b) with spool id 11020305 for
[email-masked]; Sat, 26 Dec 1998 20:24:29 -0600
Received: from delyte.lib.siu.edu (delyte.lib.siu.edu [131.230.73.222]) by
postoffice.cso.uiuc.edu (8.8.8/8.8.8) with ESMTP id UAA39152 for
<[email-masked]>; Sat, 26 Dec 1998 20:24:28 -0600
Received: (from ldm@localhost) by delyte.lib.siu.edu (8.8.7/8.8.7) id UAA04650
for [email-masked]; Sat, 26 Dec 1998 20:24:27 -0600 (CST)
Date:	Sat, 26 Dec 1998 20:24:27 -0600
Reply-To: [email-masked]
Sender: WX-TROPL Tropical Storm and Hurricane WX products <[email-masked]>
From:	SIU Weather Processor <[email-masked]>
Subject:      Indian-S:    01 Active Tropical Cyclone In Southern Hemisphere
To:	Multiple recipients of list WX-TROPL <[email-masked]>
Status: U

999
WTXS31 PGTW 270300
1. TROPICAL CYCLONE 10S (CATHY) WARNING NR 005
01 ACTIVE TROPICAL CYCLONE IN SOUTHERN HEMISPHERE
MAX SUSTAINED WINDS BASED ON ONE-MINUTE AVERAGE
---
WARNING POSITION:
270000Z9 --- NEAR 16.7S4 93.6E8
MOVEMENT PAST SIX HOURS - 260 DEGREES AT 06 KTS
POSITION ACCURATE TO WITHIN 060 NM
POSITION BASED ON CENTER LOCATED BY SATELLITE
PRESENT WIND DISTRIBUTION:
MAX SUSTAINED WINDS - 040 KT, GUSTS 050 KT
RADIUS OF 035 KT WINDS - 040 NM SOUTH SEMICIRCLE
035 NM ELSEWHERE
REPEAT POSIT: 16.7S4 93.6E8
---
FORECASTS:
12 HRS, VALID AT:
271200Z2 --- 16.7S4 92.3E4
MAX SUSTAINED WINDS - 040 KT, GUSTS 050 KT
RADIUS OF 035 KT WINDS - 035 NM NORTH SEMICIRCLE
040 NM ELSEWHERE
VECTOR TO 24 HR POSIT: 265 DEG/ 07 KTS
---
24 HRS, VALID AT:
280000Z0 --- 16.8S5 90.8E7
MAX SUSTAINED WINDS - 035 KT, GUSTS 045 KT
VECTOR TO 36 HR POSIT: 270 DEG/ 07 KTS
---
36 HRS, VALID AT:
281200Z3 --- 16.8S5 89.4E1
MAX SUSTAINED WINDS - 035 KT, GUSTS 045 KT
VECTOR TO 48 HR POSIT: 275 DEG/ 07 KTS
---
EXTENDED OUTLOOK:
48 HRS, VALID AT:
290000Z1 --- 16.7S4 87.9E4
MAX SUSTAINED WINDS - 030 KT, GUSTS 040 KT
DISSIPATING AS A SIGNIFICANT TROPICAL CYCLONE OVER WATER
---
REMARKS:
270300Z2 POSITION NEAR 16.7S4   93.3E5.
TROPICAL CYCLONE 10S (CATHY) HAS TRACKED WESTWARD AT 6 KNOTS OVER
THE PAST 6 HOURS. THE WARNING POSITION IS BASED ON 262330Z6 VISIBLE
SATELLITE IMAGERY. THE WARNING INTENSITY OF 40 KNOTS IS BASED ON AN
AVERAGE OF 262330Z6 SATELLITE INTENSITY ESTIMATES OF 35 AND 45
KNOTS. TROPICAL CYCLONE 10S (CATHY) CONTINUES TO MOVE WESTWARD IN
THE LOW TO MID LEVEL STEERING FLOW FROM THE SUBTROPICAL RIDGE TO ITS
SOUTH. THE SYSTEM=S DEEP CONVECTION REMAINS LOCATED SOUTH OF ITS
LOW-LEVEL, A REFLECTION OF THE WIND SHEAR OCCURRING OVER THE SYSTEM.
SHEAR HAS INTERMITTENTLY RELAXED ALLOWING THE SYSTEM=S DEEP
CONVECTION TO REBUILD OVER THE LOW-LEVEL CIRCULATION CENTER. THIS
HAS ALLOWED TROPICAL CYCLONE 10S (CATHY) TO CONTINUE TO MAINTAIN ITS
PRESENT INTENSITY. TROPICAL CYCLONE 10S (CATHY) IS FORECAST TO
CONTINUE MOVING WESTWARD UNDER THE STEERING INFLUENCE OF THE RIDGE
TO ITS SOUTH. AS TROPICAL CYCLONE 10S (CATHY) TRACKS WESTWARD, IT
WILL MOVE INTO AN ENVIRONMENT OF INCREASING VERTICAL WIND SHEAR.
MAXIMUM SIGNIFICANT WAVE HEIGHT AT 270000Z IS 13 FEET. NEXT WARNINGS
AT 271500Z5 (DTG 271351Z9) AND 280300Z3 (DTG 280151Z7).//

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message.  For help with the
WX-TROPL or WX-TALK discussion groups write to [email-masked] or see
http://www.inlink.com/~landmb/intro.html.  For more information on
tropical weather products, see the NCEP Products Homepage at
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/nhcprod.html.