

by postoffice.cso.uiuc.edu (8.8.8/8.8.8) with SMTP id HAA34094;
Wed, 18 Mar 1998 07:49:32 -0600
Received: from POSTOFFICE.CSO.UIUC.EDU by POSTOFFICE.CSO.UIUC.EDU
(LISTSERV-TCP/IP release 1.8b) with spool id 8039770 for
[email-masked]; Wed, 18 Mar 1998 07:49:21 -0600
Received: from delyte.lib.siu.edu (delyte.lib.siu.edu [131.230.73.222]) by
postoffice.cso.uiuc.edu (8.8.8/8.8.8) with ESMTP id HAA40242 for
<[email-masked]>; Wed, 18 Mar 1998 07:47:13 -0600
Received: (from ldm@localhost) by delyte.lib.siu.edu (8.8.7/8.8.7) id HAA03523
for [email-masked]; Wed, 18 Mar 1998 07:47:12 -0600 (CST)
Date:	Wed, 18 Mar 1998 07:47:12 -0600
Reply-To: [email-masked]
Sender: WX-TROPL Tropical Storm and Hurricane WX products <[email-masked]>
From:	SIU Weather Processor <[email-masked]>
Subject:      Indian-S: 1. Tropical Cyclone 28s (fiona) Warning Nr 004
To:	Multiple recipients of list WX-TROPL <[email-masked]>
Status: RO

130
WTXS31 PGTW 181500
IMMEDIATE DELIVERY REQ TO AMEMBASSY PORT LOUIS
1. TROPICAL CYCLONE 28S (FIONA) WARNING NR 004
02 ACTIVE TROPICAL CYCLONES IN SOUTHERN HEMISPHERE
MAX SUSTAINED WINDS BASED ON ONE-MINUTE AVERAGE
---
WARNING POSITION:
181200Z2 --- 19.8S8 59.9E3
MOVEMENT PAST SIX HOURS - 230 DEGREES AT 05 KTS
POSITION ACCURATE TO WITHIN 060 NM
POSITION BASED ON CENTER LOCATED BY SATELLITE
PRESENT WIND DISTRIBUTION:
MAX SUSTAINED WINDS - 040 KT, GUSTS 050 KT
RADIUS OF 035 KT WINDS - 035 NM
REPEAT POSIT: 19.8S8 59.9E3
---
FORECASTS:
12 HRS, VALID AT:
190000Z0 --- 20.3S5 59.3E7
MAX SUSTAINED WINDS - 045 KT, GUSTS 055 KT
RADIUS OF 035 KT WINDS - 040 NM SOUTHEAST SEMICIRCLE
030 NM ELSEWHERE
VECTOR TO 24 HR POSIT: 225 DEG/ 04 KTS
---
24 HRS, VALID AT:
191200Z3 --- 20.9S1 58.7E0
MAX SUSTAINED WINDS - 045 KT, GUSTS 055 KT
RADIUS OF 035 KT WINDS - 040 NM SOUTHEAST SEMICIRCLE
030 NM ELSEWHERE
VECTOR TO 36 HR POSIT: 220 DEG/ 04 KTS
---
36 HRS, VALID AT:
200000Z2 --- 21.5S8 58.2E5
MAX SUSTAINED WINDS - 050 KT, GUSTS 060 KT
RADIUS OF 035 KT WINDS - 045 NM SOUTHEAST SEMICIRCLE
035 NM ELSEWHERE
VECTOR TO 48 HR POSIT: 210 DEG/ 04 KTS
---
EXTENDED OUTLOOK:
48 HRS, VALID AT:
201200Z5 --- 22.2S6 57.8E0
MAX SUSTAINED WINDS - 050 KT, GUSTS 060 KT
BECOMING EXTRATROPICAL
RADIUS OF 035 KT WINDS - 045 NM EAST SEMICIRCLE
035 NM ELSEWHERE
---
REMARKS:

TROPICAL CYCLONE 28S (FIONA) IS MOVING SOUTHWESTWARD AT
05 KNOTS. THE WARNING POSITION AND INTENSITY ARE BASED ON
181200Z2 INFRARED SATELLITE IMAGERY. ANIMATED INFRARED SATELLITE
IMAGERY INDICATES VERTICAL WIND SHEAR OVER THIS SYSTEM HAS
LESSENED SOMEWHAT OVER THE PAST 06 HOURS WITH A SLIGHT
CORRESPONDING INCREASE IN INTENSITY. NO SIGNIFICANT (CHANGE TO
FORECAST TRACK REASONING. TROPICAL CYCLONE 28S (FIONA) IS
EXPECTED TO MOVE TOWARD THE SOUTHWEST THROUGH 24 HOURS THEN TURN
MORE SOUTHWARD THROUGHOUT THE FORECAST PERIOD. INITIAL
ENVIRONMENTAL STEERING IS ANTICIPATED TO BE FROM THE MID-LEVEL
RIDGE TO ITS EAST, THEN AN APPROACHING MID-LATITUDE TROUGH IS
EXPECTED TO MODIFY THE STEERING FLOW. THIS SYSTEM IS FORECAST TO
SLOWLY INTENSIFY THROUGH 36 HOURS THEN LEVEL OFF AS IT ENCOUNTERS
WESTERLY VERTICAL WIND SHEAR. MAXIMUM SIGNIFICANT WAVE HEIGHT AT
181200Z2 IS 11 FEET. NEXT WARNINGS AT 190300Z3 AND 191500Z6.
REFER TO TROPICAL CYCLONE 29P WARNINGS (WTPS31 PGTW) FOR THE
INITIAL WARNING ON THIS SYSTEM AND TWELVE-HOURLY UPDATES.//

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message.  For help with the
WX-TROPL or WX-TALK discussion groups write to [email-masked] or see
http://www.inlink.com/~landmb/intro.html.  For more information on
tropical weather products, see the NCEP Products Homepage at
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/nhcprod.html.