

by postoffice.cso.uiuc.edu (8.8.8/8.8.8) with SMTP id IAA39664;
Mon, 18 Jan 1999 08:21:56 -0600
Received: from POSTOFFICE.CSO.UIUC.EDU by POSTOFFICE.CSO.UIUC.EDU
(LISTSERV-TCP/IP release 1.8b) with spool id 11138161 for
[email-masked]; Mon, 18 Jan 1999 08:21:47 -0600
Received: from delyte.lib.siu.edu (delyte.lib.siu.edu [131.230.73.222]) by
postoffice.cso.uiuc.edu (8.8.8/8.8.8) with ESMTP id IAA38762 for
<[email-masked]>; Mon, 18 Jan 1999 08:18:07 -0600
Received: (from ldm@localhost) by delyte.lib.siu.edu (8.8.7/8.8.7) id IAA01675
for [email-masked]; Mon, 18 Jan 1999 08:18:02 -0600 (CST)
Date:	Mon, 18 Jan 1999 08:18:02 -0600
Reply-To: [email-masked]
Sender: WX-TROPL Tropical Storm and Hurricane WX products <[email-masked]>
From:	SIU Weather Processor <[email-masked]>
Subject:      Indian-S: 1. Tropical Cyclone 12s (alda) Warning Nr 004
To:	Multiple recipients of list WX-TROPL <[email-masked]>
Status: U

999
WTXS31 PGTW 181500
IMMEDIATE DELIVERY REQ TO AMEMBASSY PORT LOUIS
1. TROPICAL CYCLONE 12S (ALDA) WARNING NR 004
02 ACTIVE TROPICAL CYCLONES IN SOUTHEB#35)###-M;GKUKS)M;W4JS-U#; O
NE-MINUTE AVERAGE
---
WARNING POSITION:
181200Z2 --- NEAR 28.0S0 39.2E4
MOVEMENT PAST SIX HOURS - 170 DEGREES AT 09 KTS
POSITION ACCURATE TO WITHIN 090 NM
POSITION BASED ON CENTER LOCATED BY SATELLITE
PRESENT WIND DISTRIBUTION:
MAX SUSTAINED WINDS - 055 KT, GUSTS 070 KT
RADIUS OF 050 KT WINDS - 025 NM
RADIUS OF 035 KT WINDS - 110 NM EAST SEMICIRCLE
085 NM ELSEWHERE
REPEAT POSIT: NEAR 28.0S0 39.2E4
---
FORECASTS:
12 HRS, VALID AT:
190000Z0 --- 29.6S7 39.7E9
MAX SUSTAINED WINDS - 050 KT, GUSTS 065 KT
BECOMING EXTRATROPICAL
RADIUS OF 035 KT WINDS - 120 NM NORTHEAST SEMICIRCLE
075 NM ELSEWHERE
VECTOR TO 24 HR POSIT: 145 DEG/ 10 KTS
---
24 HRS, VALID AT:
191200Z3 --- 31.3S7 41.0E5
MAX SUSTAINED WINDS - 045 KT, GUSTS 055 KT
BECOMING EXTRATROPICAL
RADIUS OF 035 KT WINDS - 120 NM NORTHEAST SEMICIRCLE
070 NM ELSEWHERE
VECTOR TO 36 HR POSIT: 125 DEG/ 14 KTS
---
36 HRS, VALID AT:
200000Z2 --- 32.9S4 43.6E3
MAX SUSTAINED WINDS - 045 KT, GUSTS 055 KT
EXTRATROPICAL
---
REMARKS:
181500Z5 POSITION NEAR 28.4S4 39.3E5.
TROPICAL CYCLONE 12S (ALDA) HAS TRACKED SOUTHWARD AT 9 KNOTS OVER
THE PAST 6 HOURS WEST-SOUTHWEST OF MADAGASCAR. THE WARNING POSITION
IS BASED UPON 181100Z1 ANIMATED VISIBLE SATELLITE IMAGERY AND IS
CONSISTENT WITH EARLIER MICROWAVE IMAGERY FIXES. THE WARNING
INTENSITY IS BASED UPON AN 181100Z1 VISIBLE SATELLITE CURRENT
INTENSITY ESTIMATE OF 55 KNOTS. TROPICAL CYCLONE 12S (ALDA) IS
CURRENTLY UNDER THE STEERING INFLUENCE OF A RIDGE TO ITS EAST AND
SOUTH. WITHIN THE NEXT 12 TO 24 HOURS, THE RIDGE IS FORECAST TO
BECOME NORTHWEST TO SOUTHEAST ORIENTED, AND TC 12S (ALDA) WILL BEGIN
TO TRACK SOUTHEASTWARD. AS TC 12S (ALDA) MOVES POLEWARD OF THE
RIDGE, IT WILL ACCELERATE INTO THE SOUTHERN INDIAN OCEAN AND BEGIN
ITS EXTRATROPICAL TRANSITION. TROPICAL CYCLONE 12S (ALDA) SHOULD
WEAKEN SLIGHTLY IN INTENSITY AS THE SYSTEM MOVES INTO COLDER WATERS
AND BEGINS EXTRATROPICAL TRANSITION. ALTHOUGH TROPICAL CYCLONE 12S
(ALDA) APPEARS TO HAVE BOTH TROPICAL AND SUBTROPICAL HARACTERISTICS,
IT HAS YET TO UNDERGO  EXTRATROPICAL TRANSITION. SINCE TC 12S (ALDA)
HAS INDEED INTENSIFIED OVER THE PAST 24 HOURS BEFORE UNDERGOING
TRANSITION, JTWC HAS REGENERATED THE WARNINGS UNTIL TC 12S (ALDA)
UNDERGOES FULL EXTRATROPICAL TRANSITION. MAXIMUM SIGNIFICANT WAVE
HEIGHT AT 181200Z2 IS 20 FEET. NEXT WARNINGS AT 190300Z3 (DTG
190153Z9) AND 191500Z6 (DTG 191353Z2). REFER TO TROPICAL CYCLONE 11P
(DANI) WARNINGS (WTPS31 PGTW) FOR TWELVE-HOURLY UPDATES.//

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message.  For help with the
WX-TROPL or WX-TALK discussion groups write to [email-masked] or see
http://www.inlink.com/~landmb/intro.html.  For more information on
tropical weather products, see the NCEP Products Homepage at
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/nhcprod.html.