

by postoffice.cso.uiuc.edu (8.8.8/8.8.8) with SMTP id LAA33640;
Sun, 17 Jan 1999 11:14:53 -0600
Received: from POSTOFFICE.CSO.UIUC.EDU by POSTOFFICE.CSO.UIUC.EDU
(LISTSERV-TCP/IP release 1.8b) with spool id 11125293 for
[email-masked]; Sun, 17 Jan 1999 11:14:37 -0600
Received: from delyte.lib.siu.edu (delyte.lib.siu.edu [131.230.73.222]) by
postoffice.cso.uiuc.edu (8.8.8/8.8.8) with ESMTP id LAA23366 for
<[email-masked]>; Sun, 17 Jan 1999 11:14:36 -0600
Received: (from ldm@localhost) by delyte.lib.siu.edu (8.8.7/8.8.7) id LAA19573
for [email-masked]; Sun, 17 Jan 1999 11:14:36 -0600 (CST)
Date:	Sun, 17 Jan 1999 11:14:36 -0600
Reply-To: [email-masked]
Sender: WX-TROPL Tropical Storm and Hurricane WX products <[email-masked]>
From:	SIU Weather Processor <[email-masked]>
Subject:      Indian-S: 1. Tropical Cyclone 12s (alda) Warning Nr 003
To:	Multiple recipients of list WX-TROPL <[email-masked]>
Status: U

999
WTXS31 PGTW 171500
IMMEDIATE DELIVERY REQ TO AMEMBASSY PORT LOUIS
1. TROPICAL CYCLONE 12S (ALDA) WARNING NR 003
02 ACTIVE TROPICAL CYCLONES IN SOUTHERN HEMISPHERE
MAX SUSTAINED WINDS BASED ON ONE-MINUTE AVERAGE
---
WARNING POSITION:
171200Z1 --- NEAR 24.3S9 38.6E7
MOVEMENT PAST SIX HOURS - 220 DEGREES AT 09 KTS
POSITION ACCURATE TO WITHIN 060 NM
POSITION BASED ON CENTER LOCATED BY SATELLITE
PRESENT WIND DISTRIBUTION:
MAX SUSTAINED WINDS - 040 KT, GUSTS 050 KT
RADIUS OF 035 KT WINDS - 135 NM EAST SEMICIRCLE
085 NM ELSEWHERE
REPEAT POSIT: NEAR 24.3S9 38.6E7
---
FORECASTS:
12 HRS, VALID AT:
180000Z9 --- 25.7S4 37.7E7
MAX SUSTAINED WINDS - 035 KT, GUSTS 045 KT
BECOMING EXTRATROPICAL
VECTOR TO 24 HR POSIT: 165 DEG/ 11 KTS
---
24 HRS, VALID AT:
181200Z2 --- 27.9S8 38.3E4
MAX SUSTAINED WINDS - 035 KT, GUSTS 045 KT
EXTRATROPICAL
---
REMARKS:
171500Z4 POSITION NEAR 24.7S3 38.4E5.
TROPICAL CYCLONE 12S (ALDA) IS MOVING SOUTHWESTWARD AT 06 KNOTS WEST
OF MADAGASCAR. THE WARNING POSITION IS BASED UPON ANIMATED VISIBLE
SATELLITE IMAGERY, AND THE WARNING INTENSITY IS BASED UPON A
COMBINATION OF A 171131Z4 VISIBLE SATELLITE IMAGE WITH A CURRENT
INTENSITY ESTIMATE OF 25 KNOTS AND SHIP SYNOPTIC DATA OF 40 KNOTS.
TROPICAL CYCLONE 12S (ALDA) WILL CONTINUE TO TRACK SOUTHWESTWARD
UNDER THE STEERING INFLUENCE OF A MID-LEVEL RIDGE TO ITS SOUTH AND
EAST. AS THE RIDGE WEAKENS IN 12 HOURS, ALDA WILL MOVE POLEWARD OVER
THE RIDGE AND BECOME EXTRATROPICAL. AS IT MOVES OVER THE RIDGE, IT
WILL ACCELERATE INTO THE SOUTHERN INDIAN OCEAN. THE INTENSITY IS
EXPECTED TO WEAKEN AS THE SYSTEM BECOMES EXTRATROPICAL. THE MAJORITY
OF DYNAMIC AND STATISTICAL OBJECTIVE GUIDANCE SUPPORTS THIS FORECAST
SCENARIO. MAXIMUM SIGNIFICANT WAVE HEIGHT AT 171200Z1 IS 15 FEET.
THIS IS THE FINAL WARNING ON THIS SYSTEM BY THE JOINT TYPHOON
WARNING CENTER (NAVPACMETOCCEN PEARL HARBOR HI). THE SYSTEM WILL BE
CLOSELY MONITORED FOR SIGNS OF REGENERATION. REFER TO TROPICAL
CYCLONE 11P (DANI) WARNINGS (WTPS31 PGTW) FOR TWELVE-HOURLY
UPDATES.//

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message.  For help with the
WX-TROPL or WX-TALK discussion groups write to [email-masked] or see
http://www.inlink.com/~landmb/intro.html.  For more information on
tropical weather products, see the NCEP Products Homepage at
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/nhcprod.html.