

by ms1.ust.hk (Sun Java System Messaging Server 6.2-3.03 (built Jun 27 2005))
with ESMTPS id <[email-masked]> for [email-masked]; Sun,
17 Feb 2008 15:53:16 +0800 (HKT)
Received: from wf-out-1314.google.com (wf-out-1314.google.com [209.85.200.171])
by mx1.ust.hk (8.13.8/8.13.8) with ESMTP id m1H7rERg012562	for <[email-masked]>;
Sun, 17 Feb 2008 15:53:15 +0800 (HKT)
Received: by wf-out-1314.google.com with SMTP id 28so291668wfc.22 for
<[email-masked]>; Sat, 16 Feb 2008 23:53:14 -0800 (PST)
Received: by 10.142.237.20 with SMTP id k20mr3420779wfh.227.1203234794460; Sat,
16 Feb 2008 23:53:14 -0800 (PST)
Received: by 10.143.192.1 with SMTP id u1cs19482wfp; Sat,
16 Feb 2008 23:53:13 -0800 (PST)
Received: by 10.35.63.2 with SMTP id q2mr5170073pyk.49.1203234793189; Sat,
16 Feb 2008 23:53:13 -0800 (PST)
Received: from vacuum.cso.uiuc.edu (vacuum.cso.uiuc.edu [128.174.5.113])
by mx.google.com with ESMTP id y64si6246496pyg.22.2008.02.16.23.53.11; Sat,
16 Feb 2008 23:53:13 -0800 (PST)
Received: from vacuum.cso.uiuc.edu (vacuum.cso.uiuc.edu [128.174.5.113])
by vacuum.cso.uiuc.edu (8.14.2/8.14.2) with ESMTP id m1GDrUkn019880; Sun,
17 Feb 2008 01:52:33 -0600 (CST)
Received: by LISTSERV.UIUC.EDU (LISTSERV-TCP/IP release 14.5)
with spool id 14880873 for [email-masked]; Sun,
17 Feb 2008 01:52:33 -0600
Received: from relay7.cso.uiuc.edu (relay7.cso.uiuc.edu [128.174.5.108])
by vacuum.cso.uiuc.edu (8.14.2/8.14.2) with ESMTP id m1H7qW3E026611 for
<[email-masked]>; Sun, 17 Feb 2008 01:52:32 -0600 (CST)
Received: from weather3.admin.niu.edu (weather3.admin.niu.edu [131.156.8.48])
by relay7.cso.uiuc.edu (8.14.2/8.14.2) with ESMTP id m1H7qQ2c018899 for
<[email-masked]>; Sun, 17 Feb 2008 01:52:32 -0600 (CST)
Received: from weather3.admin.niu.edu (weather3.admin.niu.edu [127.0.0.1])
by weather3.admin.niu.edu (8.14.2/8.14.2) with ESMTP id m1H7qPJh025534 for
<[email-masked]>; Sun, 17 Feb 2008 01:52:26 -0600
Received: (from ldm@localhost) by weather3.admin.niu.edu (8.14.2/8.14.2/Submit)
id m1H7qP9l025533 for [email-masked]; Sun, 17 Feb 2008 01:52:25 -0600
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2008 01:52:25 -0600
From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Subject: Western Pacific: Synoptic Discussion For The Marianas
Sender: WX-TROPL Tropical Storm and Hurricane WX products
<[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Reply-to: [email-masked]
designates 128.174.5.113 as permitted sender) client-ip=128.174.5.113;
Authentication-Results: mx.google.com; spf=pass (google.com: domain of
[email-masked] designates 128.174.5.113 as permitted sender)
smtp.mail=[email-masked]
spamscore=0 ipscore=0 phishscore=0 bulkscore=100 adultscore=0
classifier=spam adjust=0 reason=mlx engine=3.1.0-0801230000
definitions=main-0802160063
Original-recipient: rfc822;[email-masked]
__CP_URI_IN_BODY 0, __HAS_MSGID 0, __HELO_GMAIL 0, __LINES_OF_YELLING 0,
__MIME_TEXT_ONLY 0, __RDNS_GMAIL 0, __SANE_MSGID 0'

811
FXPQ60 PGUM 170752
AFDPQ

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE TIYAN GU
552 PM CHST SUN FEB 17 2008

.SYNOPSIS...
SHEAR LINE IS PASSING SLOWLY OVER GUAM NOW...WITH 88D IMAGERY
REVEALING ISOLATED SHOWERS IN THE WAKE OF THE SHEAR LINE BEFORE THE
RADAR WENT DOWN AT 425 PM. AS A RESULT...WILL COMBINE ALL THE
MARIANAS ZONES BASED ON CONGRUENT SHORT-TERM WEATHER. SATELLITE AND
QUIKSCAT IMAGERY SHOW A SECOND SHEAR LINE BEGINNING TO FORM IN THE
CNMI AROUND AGRIHAN.

&&

.DISCUSSION...
GFS DID NOT INITIALIZE WIND FIELDS WELL WITH RESPECT TO THE
AFOREMENTIONED SHEAR LINES...SO HAVE GONE WITH THE UKMET THROUGH 72
HOURS...THEN THE GFS75 FOR DAYS 4 AND 5. GFS AND ECMWF KEEP THE LEAD
SHER LINE SOUTH OF GUAM THROUGH TUESDAY NIGHT...THEN CONSOLIDATE
BOTH SHEAR LINES NORTH OF SAIPAN ON WEDNESDAY. IF THIS TRANSITION IS
NOT SMOOTH OR TAKES SOME TIME...MAY NEED TO RE-DIVIDE THE FORECAST
ZONES. LATEST UKMET SUGGESTS THE LEAD SHEAR LINE WILL BECOME THE
DOMINANT ONE. HAVE FOLLOWED THE GFS/ECMWF THROUGH WEDNESDAY...BUT
CONFIDENCE IS LOW. FRONTAL BOUNDARY MERGERS USUALLY FAVOR THE
SOUTHERNMOST BOUNDARY. IF SHEAR LINE BEHAVIOR IS ANALOGOUS...FUTURE
SHIFTS MAY NEED TO CHANGE THE FORECAST PARADIGM. ALSO...GFS GUIDANCE
SHOWS QPF ENHANCING NORTH OF THE SHEAR LINE MONDAY AND TUESDAY...
APPARENTLY IN RESPONSE TO MID AND UPPER-LEVEL TROUGHING ALOFT. IF
THE SHEAR LINE SETS UP FARTHER SOUTH...MAY NEED TO ADD SCATTERED
POPS AND LOWER TEMPS ON MONDAY AND TUESDAY. IN ANY CASE...THURSDAY
THROUGH SUNDAY LOOK SEASONABLY DRY AS THE SHEAR LINE DISSIPATES AND
RETREATS NORTHWARD.

&&

.MARINE...
STILL LOOKS LIKE PERSISTENT LONG PERIOD NORTH SWELL WILL MAINTAIN
THE HIGH SURF ADVISORY THROUGH AT LEAST WEDNESDAY. TAKING INTO
ACCOUNT RECENT EVENTS...WOULD NOT BE SURPRISED TO SEE THIS ONE LAG
ONWARD THROUGH THURSDAY. TRADE-WIND SURGE IN THE WAKE OF THE
NORTHERNMOST SHEAR LINE MAY BRING SMALL CRAFT ADVISORY CONDITIONS TO
THE MARINE ZONES MONDAY AND TUESDAY. BEST CHANCES WILL BE IN TINIAN AND
SAIPAN WATERS. CAN SEE AN OUTSIDE CHANCE THAT A HIGH SURF ADVISORIES
MAY BE NEEDED FOR EAST-FACING EXPOSURES AS WELL IN CONJUNCTION WITH
THIS SURGE.

&&

.EASTERN MICRONESIA...
A WELL-ORGANIZED CLUSTER OF LOW TO MID-LEVEL CLOUDS ASSOCIATED
WITH A TRADE-WIND DISTURBANCE IS LOCATED ABOUT 150 MILES EAST OF
POHNPEI...AND IS MOVING WEST AT 15 TO 20 MPH. GFS IS BRINGING
SCATTERED SHOWERS OVER POHNPEI EARLY MONDAY...WHILE UKMET DELAYS
BRINGING SCATTERED POPS OVER POHNPEI UNTIL MONDAY MID-MORNING.
SATELLITE IMAGERY DOES NOT REVEAL A LOW-LEVEL CIRCULATION BUT
MODELS SUGGEST A WEAK SURFACE LOW PRESSURE ASSOCIATED WITH THIS
ACTIVITY. FARTHER EAST...TRAILING SHOWER BANDS OVER MAJURO ARE
TRADE-WIND DRIVEN AND SCATTERED POPS ARE EXPECTED OVER MAJURO
TONIGHT. KOSRAE WAS SURROUNDED BY SHOWERS TODAY...AND MORE
SCATTERED SHOWERS FROM THE EAST ARE EXPECTED TO MOVE OVER KOSRAE
TONIGHT.

UPDATED THE HIGH SURF ADVISORY TO INCLUDE KOSRAE. INCREASING NNW
SWELLS ARE EXPECTED TO REACH KOSRAE WATERS LATE TONIGHT...AND THIS
EVENT MAY LAST FOR THE NEXT SEVERAL DAYS.

&&

.WESTERN MICRONESIA...
TRADE-WIND REGIME WILL DOMINATE LOCAL CONDITIONS OVER THE NEXT
COUPLE OF DAYS. MODEL GUIDANCE ENHANCES THE TRADE-WIND DISTURBANCE
CURRENTLY EAST OF CHUUK BEFORE IT PASSES CHUUK ON WEDNESDAY. WILL
HAVE TO MONITOR THIS SYSTEM DURING THE NEXT 36 HOURS.

HAZARDOUS SURF ON CHUUK WILL CONTINUE THROUGH MONDAY...AND THE
COASTAL HAZARD MESSAGE WAS UPDATED LATE THIS AFTERNOON. LARGE
NORTH SWELLS OF 6 TO 7 FEET WILL ARRIVE ALONG THE SHORES OF KOROR
AND YAP BY TUESDAY...AND THIS EVENT WILL PROBABLY REQUIRE A HIGH
SURF ADVISORY FOR BOTH ISLANDS.

&&

.GUM WATCHES/WARNINGS/ADVISORIES...
GU...HIGH SURF ADVISORY UNTIL 6 AM CHST WEDNESDAY FOR GUZ001>004.

MARIANAS WATERS...NONE.
&&

$$

MCELROY/BAQUI

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.