

by ms1.ust.hk (Sun Java System Messaging Server 6.2-3.03 (built Jun 27 2005))
with ESMTPS id <[email-masked]> for [email-masked]; Tue,
15 Jan 2008 04:04:51 +0800 (HKT)
Received: from wx-out-0506.google.com (wx-out-0506.google.com [66.249.82.234])
by mx2.ust.hk (8.13.8/8.13.8) with ESMTP id m0EK4nKD066347	for <[email-masked]>;
Tue, 15 Jan 2008 04:04:50 +0800 (HKT)
Received: by wx-out-0506.google.com with SMTP id h26so1188851wxd.22 for
<[email-masked]>; Mon, 14 Jan 2008 12:04:48 -0800 (PST)
Received: by 10.142.125.5 with SMTP id x5mr2747286wfc.191.1200341087821; Mon,
14 Jan 2008 12:04:47 -0800 (PST)
Received: by 10.143.17.19 with SMTP id u19cs225779wfi; Mon,
14 Jan 2008 12:04:47 -0800 (PST)
Received: by 10.142.232.20 with SMTP id e20mr2743681wfh.187.1200341086810; Mon,
14 Jan 2008 12:04:46 -0800 (PST)
Received: from vacuum.cso.uiuc.edu (vacuum.cso.uiuc.edu [128.174.5.113])
by mx.google.com with ESMTP id d34si9014297roh.5.2008.01.14.12.04.44; Mon,
14 Jan 2008 12:04:46 -0800 (PST)
Received: from vacuum.cso.uiuc.edu (vacuum.cso.uiuc.edu [128.174.5.113])
by vacuum.cso.uiuc.edu (8.14.1/8.14.1) with ESMTP id m0EDUAG4023584; Mon,
14 Jan 2008 14:03:22 -0600 (CST)
Received: by LISTSERV.UIUC.EDU (LISTSERV-TCP/IP release 14.5)
with spool id 14421044 for [email-masked]; Mon,
14 Jan 2008 14:03:22 -0600
Received: from relay4.cso.uiuc.edu (relay4.cso.uiuc.edu [128.174.5.122])
by vacuum.cso.uiuc.edu (8.14.1/8.14.1) with ESMTP id m0EK3Liu024365 for
<[email-masked]>; Mon, 14 Jan 2008 14:03:21 -0600 (CST)
Received: from weather3.admin.niu.edu (weather3.admin.niu.edu [131.156.8.48])
by relay4.cso.uiuc.edu (8.14.2/8.14.2) with ESMTP id m0EK3F80013166 for
<[email-masked]>; Mon, 14 Jan 2008 14:03:21 -0600 (CST)
Received: from weather3.admin.niu.edu (weather3.admin.niu.edu [127.0.0.1])
by weather3.admin.niu.edu (8.14.2/8.14.2) with ESMTP id m0EK3ENK028339 for
<[email-masked]>; Mon, 14 Jan 2008 14:03:14 -0600
Received: (from ldm@localhost) by weather3.admin.niu.edu (8.14.2/8.14.2/Submit)
id m0EK3EU5028338 for [email-masked]; Mon, 14 Jan 2008 14:03:14 -0600
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2008 14:03:14 -0600
From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Subject: Western Pacific: Synoptic Discussion For The Marianas
Sender: WX-TROPL Tropical Storm and Hurricane WX products
<[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Reply-to: [email-masked]
designates 128.174.5.113 as permitted sender) client-ip=128.174.5.113;
Authentication-Results: mx.google.com; spf=pass (google.com: domain of
[email-masked] designates 128.174.5.113 as permitted sender)
smtp.mail=[email-masked]
spamscore=0 ipscore=0 phishscore=0 bulkscore=0 adultscore=0
classifier=spam adjust=0 reason=mlx engine=3.1.0-0708230000
definitions=main-0801140126
Original-recipient: rfc822;[email-masked]
__CP_URI_IN_BODY 0, __HAS_MSGID 0, __HELO_GMAIL 0, __LINES_OF_YELLING 0,
__MIME_TEXT_ONLY 0, __RDNS_GMAIL 0, __SANE_MSGID 0'

781
FXPQ60 PGUM 142003
AFDPQ

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE TIYAN GU
603 AM CHST TUE JAN 15 2008

.SYNOPSIS...
WSR-88D HAS BEEN DOWN FOR REPAIRS SO ONLY INTERMITTENT RADAR
PRODUCTS WERE AVAILABLE FOR THE LATEST FORECAST UPDATE. LOOKS LIKE
FUTURE SHIFTS WILL BE DEVOID OF RADAR DATA FOR ABOUT A WEEK UNTIL A
NEW AZIMUTH ENCODER CAN BE PROCURED. FROM WHAT HAS COME IN...STILL
LOOKS LIKE ISOLATED SHOWER COVERAGE IS OUT THERE. A VIGOROUS
TRADE-WIND DISTURBANCE WAS BEGINNING TO PASS WELL TO THE SOUTH OF
GUAM. QUITE A BIT OF CIRRUS OUTFLOW FROM THIS SYSTEM CAN BE SEEN
ADVECTING NORTHWARD OVER THE MARIANAS IN IR SATELLITE IMAGERY. ALL
OF THE DEEP CONVECTION IS CONFINED TO SOUTH OF 10N. LOOKING UPSTREAM
OF THE MARIANAS...ONLY VERY MINOR TRADE-WIND DISTURBANCES ARE
EVIDENT.

&&

.DISCUSSION...
TRADE-WIND REGIME SOLIDLY ENTRENCHED. PARTLY CLOUDY SKIES AND
ISOLATED SHOWERS WILL BE THE GENERAL RULE. ONLY WEATHER DECISION OF
NOTE WAS WHETHER OR NOT TO GO WITH MOSTLY CLOUDY SKIES TODAY DUE TO
THE EXTENSIVE CIRRUS CANOPY OVERHEAD IN IR SATELLITE IMAGERY. GFS
TIME-HEIGHT CROSS SECTION SUGGESTS MID AND HIGH-LEVEL CLOUDS WILL BE
PREVALENT. HOWEVER...STARS WERE VISIBLE THROUGH THE CIRRUS AT
FORECAST TIME SO ELECTED TO LEAVE PARTLY CLOUDY WORDING UNTOUCHED
FOR TODAY. RAN GUST GRIDS OUT THROUGH DAY 9 USING A GUST FACTOR OF
35 PERCENT. BOTH ECMWF AND GFS MODEL RUNS BRING A SHEAR LINE THROUGH
THE MARIANAS SUNDAY AND MONDAY. HAVE LEFT GRIDS UNEDITED DURING THIS
TIME FRAME FOR NOW.

&&

.EASTERN MICRONESIA...
SCATTERED SHOWERS AND A FEW THUNDERSTORMS CONTINUE TO TRACK ACROSS
POHNPEI AND KOSRAE THIS MORNING AS TRADE-WIND CONVERGENCE REMAINS IN
THE AREA. LATEST MODEL RUN INDICATES THE CONVERGENCE ZONE WILL BE
SHIFTED SOUTH AND WEST OF BOTH ISLANDS BY WEDNESDAY MORNING. FRESH
TRADES WILL BRING IMPROVING CONDITIONS OVER POHNPEI INTO THE
WEEKEND. HOWEVER FOR KOSRAE...CONVERGENCE ZONE IS EXPECTED TO MOVE
BACK NORTH BY WEDNESDAY NIGHT WITH MORE SHOWERS. A WEAK TRADE-WIND
DISTURBANCE WEST OF THE DATELINE IS SLOWLY MAKING ITS WAY INTO THE
SOUTHERN MARSHALL ISLANDS. PERIODS OF SCATTERED SHOWERS WILL LAST
THROUGH WEDNESDAY AND THEN DECREASE IN COVERAGE TOWARD THE WEEKEND.

COMPUTER GUIDANCE SUGGESTS SURF HEIGHTS ON CHUUK...POHNPEI AND
KOSRAE ARE BACK AT ADVISORY LEVEL. SURF WILL BEGIN TO SUBSIDE ON
THURSDAY FOR CHUUK AND POHNPEI...DURING THE WEEKEND FOR KOSRAE. ON
MAJURO SURF WILL REMAIN AT ADVISORY LEVEL UNTIL SATURDAY.

&&

.WESTERN MICRONESIA...
AN INTENSIFYING SURFACE TROUGH IS TEAMED UP WITH UPPER-LEVEL
DIVERGENCE OVER CHUUK...PRODUCING HEAVY SHOWERS AND ISOLATED
THUNDERS. CONDITIONS WILL BEGIN TO IMPROVE EARLY WEDNESDAY AS THIS
SYSTEM PULLS FURTHER WEST. DRY TRADES FROM THE NORTHEAST WILL
STABILIZE THINGS BY THURSDAY. PALAU AND YAP WILL BEGIN TO FEEL THE
IMPACT OF THE SAME TROUGH EARLY WEDNESDAY MORNING AND LAST INTO
THURSDAY. THIS SYSTEM IS SHOWING SIGNS OF FURTHER DEVELOPMENT AND
NEEDS TO BE MONITORED CLOSELY.

&&

.MARINE...
PRIMARY FORECAST CONCERN CENTERS ON POTENTIAL FOR SMALL CRAFT
ADVISORY FOR COMBINED SEAS. LOOKS LIKE A GOOD CHANCE BEGINNING LATER
TONIGHT THROUGH WEDNESDAY NIGHT. WILL ADD TO CWF SYNOPSIS
PARAGRAPH...BUT SINCE THE SCA IS EVENT-DRIVEN...WILL LEAVE TO DAY
SHIFT TO ADD TO HAZARD GRIDS. MARINE SWELL GRIDS LOOKED GOOD WITH
SOME MINOR ADJUSTMENTS MADE. TRADE-WIND WAVES AND SWELL WILL COMBINE
WITH NORTH SWELL TO PRODUCE MODERATE RISK ON NORTH AND EAST-FACING
REEFS DURING THE NEXT SEVERAL DAYS. BELIEVE SURF ON NORTH-FACING
EXPOSURES WILL APPROACH THE ADVISORY THRESHOLD ON SAIPAN WED
NITE...BUT WILL REFRAIN FROM AN ADVISORY FOR NOW AS SAIPAN WAVE
WATCH TABULAR DATA ARE ACTUALLY FOR 16N147.5E...ABOUT 135 MILES
NORTHEAST OF SAIPAN.

&&

.GUM WATCHES/WARNINGS/ADVISORIES...
GU...NONE.
MARIANAS WATERS...NONE.
&&

$$

MCELROY/CHAN

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.