Subject: Pacific-NW: Tropical Weather Summery -120116 (AUTOMATIC)

From: Charley Kline <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 1996 01:16:13 -0500

ZCZC DD+ 68081
ABPW10 PGTW 120600
MSGID/GENADMIN/NAVPACMETOCCEN WEST GU//
SUBJ/SIGNIFICANT TROPICAL WEATHER ADVISORY FOR THE WESTERN
PACIFIC OCEAN/120600Z/130600Z AUG 96//
REF/A/RMG/NAVPACMETOCCEN WEST GU/120151Z AUG 96//
RMKS/
1. WESTERN NORTH PACIFIC AREA (180 TO MALAY PENINSULA):
   A. TROPICAL CYCLONE SUMMARY:
      (1) AT 120000Z3 TYPHOON KIRK (13W) WAS LOCATED AT 25.9N6
128.3E4 AND MOVING NORTHWESTWARD AT 7 KNOTS. MAXIMUM
SUSTAINED WINDS WERE ESTIMATED AT 70 KNOTS WITH GUSTS TO 85 KNOTS.
SEE REF A (TYPHOON KIRK (13W) WARNING NR 34 (WTPN31 PGTW 120300))
AND SIX-HOURLY UPDATES FOR FURTHER DETAILS.
      (2) NO OTHER TROPICAL CYCLONES.
   B. TROPICAL DISTURBANCE SUMMARY:
      (1) THE AREA OF CONVECTION PREVIOUSLY LOCATED NEAR 10N1 152E8 I
S
NOW LOCATED NEAR 10N1 141E6. SATELLITE IMAGERY INDICATES AN AREA OF
PERSISTENT CONVECTION NEAR A WEAK LOW-LEVEL CIRCULATION AS INDICATED
BY
SYNOPTIC DATA. VISIBLE SATELLITE IMAGERY SHOWS THAT CONVECTIVE
ORGANIZATION REMAINS POOR. MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS ARE ESTIMATED AT 1
0
TO 15 KNOTS. MINIMUM SEA LEVEL PRESSURE IS ESTIMATED TO BE 1008 MB. T
HE
POTENTIAL FOR SIGNIFICANT TROPICAL CYCLONE DEVELOPMENT WITHIN THE NEX
T
24 HOURS IS POOR.
      (2) AN AREA OF CONVECTION IS LOCATED NEAR 33N6 159E5. SATELLITE
IMAGERY INDICATES IMPROVED ORGANIZATION OF THE LOW-LEVEL CIRCULATION
CENTER ASSOCIATED WITH THIS SUB-TROPICAL SYSTEM. MINIMUM SEA LEVEL
PRESSURE IS ESTIMATED TO BE 1003 MB. MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS ARE
ESTIMATED AT 25-30 KNOTS. THE POTENTIAL FOR SIGNIFICANT TROPICAL CYCL
ONE
DEVELOPMENT WITHIN THE NEXT 24 HOURS IS GOOD.
      (3) THE AREA OF CONVECTION PREVIOUSLY LOCATED NEAR 24N6 169E6 I
S
NOW LOCATED NEAR 29N1 169E6. SATELLITE IMAGERY INDICATES INCREASED
CONVECTION SOUTHEAST OF THE LOW-LEVEL CENTER. MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS
ARE ESTIMATED AT 20 TO 25 KNOTS. MINIMUM SEA LEVEL PRESSURE IS ESTIMA
TED
TO BE 1006 MB. THE POTENTIAL FOR SIGNIFICANT TROPICAL CYCLONE
DEVELOPMENT WITHIN THE NEXT 24 HOURS IS FAIR.
(4) NO OTHER SUSPECT AREAS.
2.  WESTERN SOUTH PACIFIC AREA (180 WEST TO 135E):
   A. TROPICAL CYCLONE SUMMARY: NONE.
   B. TROPICAL DISTURBANCE SUMMARY: NONE.
FORECAST TEAM: TREHUBENKO/NICKLAS/MEST/HONG/BOGLE//

NNNN