Subject: Pacific-NW: Formation Alert -042344 (AUTOMATIC)

From: Charley Kline <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 04 Aug 1996 23:44:29 -0500

ZCZC DD+ 60864
WTPN23 PGTW 050430
SUBJ/TROPICAL CYCLONE FORMATION ALERT 050425Z AUG 96//
RMKS/
1. FORMATION OF A SIGNIFICANT TROPICAL CYCLONE IS POSSIBLE WITHIN
130 NM EITHER SIDE OF A LINE FROM 17.7N5 113.9E4 TO 26.1N9
113.7E2 WITHIN THE NEXT 12 TO 24 HOURS.  AVAILABLE DATA DOES NOT
JUSTIFY ISSUANCE OF NUMBERED TROPICAL CYCLONE WARNINGS AT THIS
TIME. WINDS IN THE AREA ARE ESTIMATED TO BE 20 TO 25 KNOTS.
METSAT IMAGERY AND SYNOPTIC DATA AT 050230Z INDICATE THAT A
CIRCULATION CENTER IS LOCATED NEAR 18.0N9 114.3E9.  THE SYSTEM IS
MOVING NORTHWARD AT 11 KNOTS.
2. REMARKS: A TROPICAL DISTURBANCE HAS FORMED IN THE SOUTH CHINA
SEA. SATELLITE IMAGERY AND SYNOPTIC DATA INDICATE THE PRESENCE OF
A LOW-LEVEL CIRCULATION ASSOCIATED WITH THIS AREA OF DEEP AND
PERSISTENT CONVECTION. THIS SYSTEM HAS BECOME MORE ORGANIZED
OVER THE PAST 12 HOURS.
3. THIS ALERT VALID UNTIL 060430Z3.
//

BT
#7866

NNNN