Subject: Pacific-NC: Tropical Storm Paka Discussion Number 9

From: SIU Weather Processor <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 1997 08:18:02 -0600

082
WTPA41 PHNL 041500 COR
TROPICAL STORM PAKA DISCUSSION NUMBER 9
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE HONOLULU HI
5 AM HST THU DEC 04 1997

...ADDED THE WORD PATH IN LINE 1...

TROPICAL STORM PAKA IS MOVING SLOWLY ALONG A WEST NORTHWEST PATH
AWAY FROM THE HAWAIIAN ISLANDS. STEERING FLOW REMAINS WEAK AND THE
DEEP LAYER MEAN FLOW OVER THE AREA SHOWS LITTLE CHANGE FOR ANOTHER
24 TO 48 HOURS. PAKA RETAINS ITS NICE CIRCULAR SHAPE WITH NEITHER
EASTERLIES NOR WESTERLIES DOMINATING. OUTFLOW IN PARTICULAR TOWARD
THE SOUTHERLY QUADRANTS LOOKS BETTER WITH GOOD STRIATIONS SHOWING
IN THE CIRRUS FOR A NUMBER OF HOURS. THIS USUALLY A GOOD LEADING
INDICATOR OF FURTHER DEEPENING SO WILL SLOWLY BOOST THE INTENSITY
TOWARD THE HURRICANE STRENGTH THRESHOLD AS PAKA APPROACHES THE
DATELINE.  ROSENDAL

FORECAST POSITIONS AND MAX WINDS

INITIAL     04/1500Z  9.2N 170.3W    45 KTS
12HR VT     05/0000Z  9.4N 171.0W    50 KTS
24HR VT     05/1200Z  9.9N 172.3W    55 KTS
36HR VT     06/0000Z 10.5N 174.1W    60 KTS
48HR VT     06/1200Z 11.1N 176.4W    60 KTS
72HR VT     07/1200Z 12.0N 178.8E    65 KTS

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message.  For help with the
WX-TROPL or WX-TALK discussion groups write to [email-masked] or see
http://www.inlink.com/~landmb/intro.html.  For more information on
tropical weather products, see the NCEP Products Homepage at
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/nhcprod.html.