Subject: Pacific-NC: Tropical Storm Paka Discussion Number 8

From: SIU Weather Processor <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 1997 02:14:19 -0600

350
WTPA41 PHNL 040900
TROPICAL STORM PAKA DISCUSSION NUMBER 8
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE HONOLULU HI
11 PM HST WED DEC 03 1997

TROPICAL STORM PAKA HAS AGAIN SLOWED ITS FORWARD MOTION SPEED TO
ABOUT 5 KT AS THE STEERING FLOW OVER THE AREA IS VERY WEAK. THE
QUASISTATIONARY NATURE OF THE STORM IS LIKELY CAUSING UPWELLING OF

COOLER WATER UNDERNEATH ITS CENTRAL CORE WHICH MAY SLOW FURTHER
DEVELOPMENT. STORM LOOKS QUITE SYMMETRICAL OR CIRCULAR WHICH IS
PROBABLY A REFLECTION OF THE LACK OF VERTICAL WIND SHEAR IN THE
AREA. WILL MOVE THE STORM WNW CLOSE TO THE OLD FORECAST TRACK AND
KEEP THE SAME INTENSITY FORECASTS ALSO. ROSENDAL

FORECAST POSITIONS AND MAX WINDS

INITIAL     04/0900Z  8.8N 169.6W    45 KTS
12HR VT     04/1800Z  9.2N 170.4W    50 KTS
24HR VT     05/0600Z  9.8N 171.8W    55 KTS
36HR VT     05/1800Z 10.7N 174.2W    55 KTS
48HR VT     06/0600Z 11.4N 176.7W    50 KTS
72HR VT     07/0600Z 13.3N 177.4E    45 KTS

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message.  For help with the
WX-TROPL or WX-TALK discussion groups write to [email-masked] or see
http://www.inlink.com/~landmb/intro.html.  For more information on
tropical weather products, see the NCEP Products Homepage at
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/nhcprod.html.