Subject: Pacific-EN: Hurricane Rick Advisory Number 10

From: SIU Weather Processor <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 9 Nov 1997 14:38:46 -0600

016
WTPZ34 KNHC 092039
TCPEP4
BULLETIN
HURRICANE RICK ADVISORY NUMBER  10
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MIAMI FL
1 PM PST SUN NOV 09 1997

...EYE OF RICK EXPECTED TO MAKE LANDFALL LATER TODAY...

A HURRICANE WARNING IS IN EFFECT EAST OF ACAPULCO TO HUATULCO
MEXICO.  PREPARATIONS TO PROTECT LIFE AND PROPERTY SHOULD BE RUSHED
TO COMPLETION.

AT 1 PM PST...2100Z...THE CENTER OF HURRICANE RICK WAS LOCATED NEAR
LATITUDE 15.7 NORTH...LONGITUDE  98.1 WEST OR ABOUT 70 MILES...110
KM...SLIGHTLY SOUTH OF DUE WEST OF PUERTO ESCONDIDO MEXICO.

RICK IS MOVING TOWARD THE EAST-NORTHEAST NEAR 13 MPH...20
KM/HR...AND THIS GENERAL MOTION IS EXPECTED TO CONTINUE INTO
TONIGHT.  THE CENTER OF THE HURRICANE IS EXPECTED TO CROSS THE COAST
OF MEXICO IN THE WARNING AREA LATER TODAY.  RAINBANDS OF THE
HURRICANE HAVE BEEN POUNDING THE COASTLINE WITH STRONG GUSTY WINDS
AND LOCALLY HEAVY RAINS.

MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS ARE NEAR  85 MPH...140 KM/HR...WITH HIGHER
GUSTS.  LITTLE SIGNIFICANT CHANGE IN STRENGTH IS LIKELY BEFORE
LANDFALL.

HURRICANE FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP TO  35 MILES... 55 KM...
FROM THE CENTER...AND TROPICAL STORM FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP
TO 115 MILES...185 KM.

ESTIMATED MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE IS  980 MB...28.94 INCHES.

RICK IS EXPECTED TO BRING HEAVY RAINS...5 TO 10 INCHES...TO AREAS
NEAR ITS PATH.  MANY OF THESE AREAS HAVE ALREADY BEEN AFFECTED BY
PREVIOUS TROPICAL CYCLONES THIS YEAR.  THESE RAINS COULD CAUSE
LIFE-THREATENING FLASH FLOODS AND MUD SLIDES.

A STORM SURGE OF 2 TO 4 FEET ABOVE NORMAL TIDE LEVELS WILL OCCUR TO
THE RIGHT OF WHERE THE EYE MAKES LANDFALL.  IN ADDITION... LARGE
WAVES RIDING ON TOP OF THE STORM SURGE WILL BATTER COASTAL
STRUCTURES.

REPEATING THE 1 PM PST POSITION...15.7 N... 98.1 W.  MOVEMENT
TOWARD...EAST-NORTHEAST NEAR 13 MPH.  MAXIMUM SUSTAINED
WINDS... 85 MPH.  MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE... 980 MB.

AN INTERMEDIATE ADVISORY WILL BE ISSUED BY THE NATIONAL HURRICANE
CENTER AT 4 PM PST FOLLOWED BY THE NEXT COMPLETE ADVISORY AT 7 PM
PST.

PASCH

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message.  For help with the
WX-TROPL or WX-TALK discussion groups write to [email-masked] or see
http://www.inlink.com/~landmb/intro.html.  For more information on
tropical weather products, see the NCEP Products Homepage at
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/nhcprod.html.