Subject: Pacific-NC: Tropical Storm Paka Discussion Number 15

From: SIU Weather Processor <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 1997 20:31:20 -0600

070
WTPA41 PHNL 060300
TROPICAL STORM PAKA DISCUSSION NUMBER  15
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE HONOLULU HI
5 PM HST FRI DEC 05 1997

DAYTIME VISIBLE SATELLITE IMAGERY SHOWS THAT PAKA ACCELERATED TO
THE WEST OVERNIGHT. SINCE PAKA WAS NOT ALL THAT ORGANIZED LAST
NIGHT...LOCATING THE CENTER USING INFRA-RED IMAGERY WAS DIFFICULT
AT BEST. THE 00Z POSITION RELOCATES PAKA WEST OF 175W AND IS CLOSE
TO BOTH THE GLOBAL WEATHER CENTER AND THIS OFFICES FIXES. THE NEW
AND IMPROVED FORECAST TRACK KEEPS PAKA ON A WESTWARD TRACK AT
ABOUT 10 KT. IF CORRECT...PAKA WILL CROSS THE INTERNATIONAL
DATELINE 18 TO 24 HOURS FROM NOW. THE INTENSITY FORECAST SLOWLY
WEAKENS PAKA AND IS IN AGREEMENT WITH GFDL MODEL DATA. CRAIG.

FORECAST POSITIONS AND MAX WINDS

INITIAL     06/0300Z  9.3N 176.9W    40 KTS
12HR VT     06/1200Z  9.3N 178.4W    40 KTS
24HR VT     07/0000Z  9.3N 179.7E    40 KTS
36HR VT     07/1200Z  9.5N 177.7E    35 KTS
48HR VT     08/0000Z  9.7N 175.7E    35 KTS
72HR VT     09/0000Z 10.3N 171.3E    35 KTS

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message.  For help with the
WX-TROPL or WX-TALK discussion groups write to [email-masked] or see
http://www.inlink.com/~landmb/intro.html.  For more information on
tropical weather products, see the NCEP Products Homepage at
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/nhcprod.html.