Subject: Pacific-EN: Hurricane Rick Advisory Number 9

From: SIU Weather Processor <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 9 Nov 1997 08:43:50 -0600

388
WTPZ34 KNHC 091444
TCPEP4
BULLETIN
HURRICANE RICK ADVISORY NUMBER   9
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MIAMI FL
7 AM PST SUN NOV 09 1997

...RICK BATTERING THE COAST OF MEXICO...EYE OF THE HURRICANE
   EXPECTED TO MAKE LANDFALL LATER TODAY...

AT 7 AM PST...1500Z...THE GOVERNMENT OF MEXICO HAS EXTENDED THE
HURRICANE WARNING EASTWARD TO HUATULCO...AND DISCONTINUED THE
HURRICANE WARNING WEST OF ZIHUATANEJO.  A HURRICANE WARNING IS IN
EFFECT FROM ZIHUATANEJO TO HUATULCO MEXICO.  PREPARATIONS TO PROTECT
LIFE AND PROPERTY SHOULD BE RUSHED TO COMPLETION.

AT 7 AM PST...1500Z...THE CENTER OF HURRICANE RICK WAS LOCATED NEAR
LATITUDE 15.6 NORTH...LONGITUDE  99.0 WEST OR ABOUT 95 MILES...155
KM...SOUTH-SOUTHEAST OF ACAPULCO MEXICO.  THIS POSITION IS ALSO
ABOUT 55 MILES...90 KM...OFFSHORE OF THE COAST NEAR PUNTA MALDONADO.

RICK IS MOVING TOWARD THE EAST-NORTHEAST NEAR 14 MPH...22 KM/HR...
AND THIS MOTION IS EXPECTED TO CONTINUE...BRINGING THE CENTER OF THE
HURRICANE ACROSS THE COAST IN THE HURRICANE WARNING AREA LATER
TODAY.  HOWEVER THE RAINBANDS OF RICK ARE ALREADY BATTERING PORTIONS
OF THE COASTLINE WITH STRONG GUSTY WINDS AND HEAVY RAINS.

MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS ARE NEAR  85 MPH...140 KM/HR...WITH HIGHER
GUSTS.  LITTLE SIGNIFICANT CHANGE IN STRENGTH IS EXPECTED BEFORE
LANDFALL.

HURRICANE FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP TO  35 MILES... 55 KM...
FROM THE CENTER...AND TROPICAL STORM FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP
TO 115 MILES...185 KM.

ESTIMATED MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE IS  980 MB...28.94 INCHES.

RICK IS EXPECTED TO BRING HEAVY RAINS...5 TO 10 INCHES...TO AREAS
ALREADY AFFECTED BY PREVIOUS TROPICAL SYSTEMS THIS YEAR.  THIS
COULD CAUSE LIFE-THREATENING FLASH FLOODS AND MUD SLIDES.

A STORM SURGE OF 2 TO 4 FEET ABOVE NORMAL TIDE LEVELS WILL OCCUR TO
THE RIGHT OF WHERE THE EYE MAKES LANDFALL.  IN ADDITION... LARGE
WAVES RIDING ON TOP OF THE STORM SURGE WILL BATTER COASTAL
STRUCTURES.

REPEATING THE 7 AM PST POSITION...15.6 N... 99.0 W.  MOVEMENT
TOWARD...EAST NORTHEAST NEAR 14 MPH.  MAXIMUM SUSTAINED
WINDS... 85 MPH.  MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE... 980 MB.

AN INTERMEDIATE ADVISORY WILL BE ISSUED BY THE NATIONAL HURRICANE
CENTER AT 10 AM PST FOLLOWED BY THE NEXT COMPLETE ADVISORY AT 1 PM
PST.

PASCH

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message.  For help with the
WX-TROPL or WX-TALK discussion groups write to [email-masked] or see
http://www.inlink.com/~landmb/intro.html.  For more information on
tropical weather products, see the NCEP Products Homepage at
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/nhcprod.html.