Subject: Indian-S: 01 Active Tropical Cyclone In Southern Hemisphere

From: SIU Weather Processor <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 1997 21:26:48 -0600

964
WTXS32 PGTW 310300
1. TROPICAL CYCLONE 09S (SELWYN) WARNING NR 009
   01 ACTIVE TROPICAL CYCLONE IN SOUTHERN HEMISPHERE
   MAX SUSTAINED WINDS BASED ON ONE-MINUTE AVERAGE
    ---
   WARNING POSITION:
   310000Z4 --- 16.4S1 100.0E1
     MOVEMENT PAST SIX HOURS - 280 DEGREES AT 07 KTS

PAGE 02 RUEDMCA0002 UNCLAS
     POSITION ACCURATE TO WITHIN 045 NM
     POSITION BASED ON CENTER LOCATED BY SATELLITE
   PRESENT WIND DISTRIBUTION:
   MAX SUSTAINED WINDS - 035 KT, GUSTS 045 KT
   REPEAT POSIT: 16.4S1 100.0E1
    ---
   FORECASTS:
   12 HRS, VALID AT:
   311200Z7 --- 16.2S9 98.6E3
   MAX SUSTAINED WINDS - 035 KT, GUSTS 045 KT
   DISSIPATING AS A SIGNIFICANT TROPICAL CYCLONE OVER WATER
   VECTOR TO 24 HR POSIT: 280 DEG/ 07 KTS
    ---
   24 HRS, VALID AT:
   010000Z1 --- 15.9S5 97.1E7
   MAX SUSTAINED WINDS - 030 KT, GUSTS 040 KT
   DISSIPATING AS A SIGNIFICANT TROPICAL CYCLONE OVER WATER
    ---
REMARKS:
310300Z7 POSITION 16.4S1   99.6E4

PAGE 03 RUEDMCA0002 UNCLAS
TROPICAL CYCLONE 09S (SELWYN) HAS MOVED WESTWARD AT 07
KNOTS FOR THE PAST 06 HOURS. THE WARNING POSITION IS
BASED ON 202330Z0 VISIBLE SATELLITE IMAGERY ANALYZED BY
PHIK ANALYSTS AND CONTINUITY FROM A 301611Z2 SCATTEROMETER
PASS WHICH ALSO INDICATED THAT THE MAXIMUM INTENSITY WAS 35
KNOTS. THE CONVECTION WITH THIS SYSTEM HAS DIMINISHED WITH
THE NEAREST CONVECTIVE CELLS LOCATED APPROXIMATELY 65NM FROM
THE SYSTEM CENTER. TROPICAL CYCLONE 09S (SELWYN) SHOULD
CONTINUE WESTWARD FOR THE NEXT 24 HOURS AS IT IS STEERED
PRIMARILY BY LOW LEVEL FLOW FROM HIGH PRESSURE LOCATED SOUTH
OF THE CENTER. THE SYSTEM SHOULD CONTINUE TO WEAKEN SLOWLY
THROUGHOUT THE PERIOD AS AN UPPER LEVEL TROUGH APPROACHES
FROM THE WEST INCREASING THE VERTICAL WIND SHEAR. MAXIMUM
SIGNIFICANT WAVE HEIGHT AT 310000Z IS 13 FEET. NEXT WARNINGS
AT 311500Z0 (DTG 311353Z6).//
BT
#0002

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message.  For help with the
WX-TROPL or WX-TALK discussion groups write to [email-masked] or see
http://www.inlink.com/~landmb/intro.html.  For more information on
tropical weather products, see the NCEP Products Homepage at
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/nhcprod.html.