Subject: Pacific-EN: Hurricane Rick Discussion Number 11

From: SIU Weather Processor <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 9 Nov 1997 20:27:18 -0600

221
WTPZ44 KNHC 100228
TCDEP4
HURRICANE RICK DISCUSSION NUMBER  11
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MIAMI FL
7 PM PST SUN NOV 09 1997

SATELLITE IMAGERY AND THE ACAPULCO RADAR SHOW THE CENTER AT THE
COAST NEAR PUERTO ESCONDIDO.  THE LAST AND HIGHEST SURFACE WIND
OBSERVATION FROM PUERTO ESCONDIDO WAS 26 KNOTS WITH GUSTS TO 35
KNOTS AT 2145Z.  RICK IS PROBABLY WEAKENING AS HALF OF ITS
CIRCULATION IS OVER THE MOUNTAINOUS TERRAIN.  MAXIMUM WINDS ARE
ESTIMATED AT 65 KNOTS...STILL A HURRICANE...AND THE GOVERNMENT OF
MEXICO HAS EXTENDED HURRICANE WARNINGS EASTWARD TO THE GUATAMALA
BORDER AS A PRECAUTION....PRIMARILY TO WARN OF THE HEAVY RAIN AND
FLASH FLOOD THREAT.

THE INITIAL MOTION IS 070/11.  THE TRACK GUIDANCE MODELS ALL SHOW A
MOTION TOWARD THE EAST-NORTHEAST CONTINUING AND THIS SHOULD BRING
THE HURRICANE COMPLETELY INLAND IN THE NEXT 12 HOURS.  DISSIPATION
IS EXPECTED OVER THE MOUNTAINS.

LAWRENCE

FORECAST POSITIONS AND MAX WINDS

INITIAL     10/0300Z 15.9N  97.0W    65 KTS
12HR VT     10/1200Z 16.7N  95.5W    40 KTS
24HR VT     11/0000Z 17.9N  93.7W    30 KTS
36HR VT     11/1200Z 19.4N  92.0W    DISSIPATED

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message.  For help with the
WX-TROPL or WX-TALK discussion groups write to [email-masked] or see
http://www.inlink.com/~landmb/intro.html.  For more information on
tropical weather products, see the NCEP Products Homepage at
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/nhcprod.html.