Subject: Indian-S: 1. Tropical Cyclone 24s Warning Nr 005

From: SIU Weather Processor <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 1998 08:00:44 -0600

643
WTXS31 PGTW 181500
IMMEDIATE DELIVERY REQ TO AMEMBASSY PORT LOUIS
1. TROPICAL CYCLONE 24S WARNING NR 005
   03 ACTIVE TROPICAL CYCLONES IN SOUTHERN HEMISPHERE
   MAX SUSTAINED WINDS BASED ON ONE-MINUTE AVERAGE
    ---
   WARNING POSITION:
   181200Z2 --- 30.1S4 66.8E0
     MOVEMENT PAST SIX HOURS - 115 DEGREES AT 16 KTS
     POSITION ACCURATE TO WITHIN 060 NM
     POSITION BASED ON CENTER LOCATED BY SATELLITE
   PRESENT WIND DISTRIBUTION:
   MAX SUSTAINED WINDS - 045 KT, GUSTS 055 KT
   BECOMING EXTRATROPICAL
   RADIUS OF 035 KT WINDS - 065 NM NORTHEAST SEMICIRCLE
                            040 NM ELSEWHERE
   REPEAT POSIT: 30.1S4 66.8E0
    ---
   FORECASTS:
   12 HRS, VALID AT:
   190000Z0 --- 31.9S3 70.6E3
   MAX SUSTAINED WINDS - 040 KT, GUSTS 050 KT
   BECOMING EXTRATROPICAL
   RADIUS OF 035 KT WINDS - 060 NM NORTHEAST SEMICIRCLE
                            040 NM ELSEWHERE
   VECTOR TO 24 HR POSIT: 110 DEG/ 20 KTS
    ---
   24 HRS, VALID AT:
   191200Z3 --- 33.2S8 75.0E2
   MAX SUSTAINED WINDS - 035 KT, GUSTS 045 KT
   EXTRATROPICAL
    ---
REMARKS:
181500Z5 POSITION 30.5S8   67.7E0
TROPICAL CYCLONE 24S HAS BEEN MOVING EAST-SOUTHEASTWARD AT
16 KNOTS THE PAST 06 HOURS. THE WARNING POSITION IS BASED UPON
181202Z VISIBLE, INFRARED AND MULTI-SPECTRAL SATELLITE IMAGERY
ANALYZED BY KGWC SATELLITE ANALYSTS. THE WARNING INTENSITY IS
BASED ON CONTINUITY WITH A 171849Z0 SCATTEROMETER PASS AND ON
THE TENDENCY OF SYSTEMS UNDERGOING EXTRATROPICAL TRANSITION TO
HAVE STRONGER WIND SPEEDS DUE TO THEIR FAST MOVEMENT. TROPICAL
CYCLONE 24S SHOULD CONTINUE TO TRACK EAST-SOUTHEASTWARD THROUGH
THE FORECAST PERIOD AS IT BEGINS TO MERGE WITH A FRONTAL ZONE
LOCATED TO ITS SOUTH-SOUTHEAST. THE SYSTEM SHOULD BECOME FULLY
EXTRATROPICAL BY THE 24 HOUR POSITION AS IT MERGES WITH THE
EASTWARD MOVING FRONTAL ZONE. THE SYSTEM HAS BEEN CLASSIFIED AS
BECOMING EXTRATROPICAL VICE DISSIPATING BECAUSE OF THE
AFOREMENTIONED SCATTEROMETER PASS INDICATING HIGHER WIND
SPEEDS. MAXIMUM SIGNIFICANT WAVE HEIGHT AT 181200Z IS 15 FEET.
NEXT WARNINGS AT 190300Z3 (DTG 190151Z7). REFER TO TROPICAL
CYCLONE  22S (VICTOR/CINDY) WARNINGS (WTXS33 PGTW) FOR TWELVE-
HOURLY UPDATES. REFER TO TROPICAL CYCLONE 23S (BELTANE)
WARNINGS (WTXS32 PGTW) FOR TWELVE-HOURLY UPDATES.//

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message.  For help with the
WX-TROPL or WX-TALK discussion groups write to [email-masked] or see
http://www.inlink.com/~landmb/intro.html.  For more information on
tropical weather products, see the NCEP Products Homepage at
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/nhcprod.html.