Subject: Indian-S: 02 Active Tropical Cyclones In Southern Hemisphere

From: SIU Weather Processor <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 6 Dec 1998 07:46:40 -0600

007
WTXS31 PGTW 061500
1. TROPICAL CYCLONE 05S (BILLY) WARNING NR 016
   02 ACTIVE TROPICAL CYCLONES IN SOUTHERN HEMISPHERE
   MAX SUSTAINED WINDS BASED ON ONE-MINUTE AVERAGE
    ---
   WARNING POSITION:
   061200Z9 --- NEAR 22.6S0 115.6E3
     MOVEMENT PAST SIX HOURS - 150 DEGREES AT 11 KTS
     POSITION ACCURATE TO WITHIN 060 NM
     POSITION BASED ON CENTER LOCATED BY SATELLITE
   PRESENT WIND DISTRIBUTION:
   MAX SUSTAINED WINDS - 025 KT, GUSTS 035 KT
   DISSIPATING AS A SIGNIFICANT TROPICAL CYCLONE OVER LAND
   REPEAT POSIT: 22.6S0 115.6E3
    ---
   FORECASTS:
   12 HRS, VALID AT:
   070000Z7 --- 24.1S7 116.1E9
   MAX SUSTAINED WINDS - 020 KT, GUSTS 030 KT
   DISSIPATED AS A SIGNIFICANT TROPICAL CYCLONE OVER LAND
    ---
REMARKS:
061500Z2 POSITION NEAR 23.0S5  115.7E4.
FINAL WARNING FOR TC 05S (BILLY). TC 05S MADE LANDFALL NEAR ONSLOW,
AUSTRALIA AROUND 060630Z5. SYNOPTIC DATA INDICATES MAX SUSTAINED
(ONE MINUTE AVERAGE) WINDS WERE 30KTS. TROPICAL CYCLONE 05S (BILLY)
HAS TRACKED SOUTH-SOUTHEASTWARD AT 11 KNOTS OVER THE PAST 6 HOURS.
TC 05S (BILLY) INCREASED FORWARD MOVEMENT AS IT BECAME SHEARED AND
NOW EXISTS AS A LOW-LEVEL FEATURE WITH ISOLATED CONVECTION.
THE WARNING POSITION AND INTENSITY (25KTS) ARE BASED UPON 061130Z1
INFRARED SATELLITE IMAGERY ANALYSIS TECHNIQUES AND SYNOPTIC DATA
INTERPRETATION. ANIMATED INFRARED SATELLITE IMAGERY SHOWS TROPICAL
CYCLONE 05S (BILLY) CONTINUES TO DISSIPATE AS IT TRACKS SOUTH-
SOUTHEASTWARD OVER NORTHWESTERN AUSTRALIA. THE REMNANTS OF TC 05S
(BILLY) SHOULD CONTINUE TO MOVE SOUTH-SOUTHEASTWARD WITH THE WEAK
LOW-LEVEL STEERING FLOW ASSOCIATED WITH THE HIGH PRESSURE RIDGE TO
THE SOUTHEAST. TC 05S HAS CONTINUED TO WEAKEN DUE TO MODERATE TO
STRONG VERTICAL WINDSHEAR AND LAND INTERACTION. THE COMBINATION OF
THIS WINDSHEAR AND LAND EFFECTS HAVE CAUSED TC 05S (BILLY) TO
DISSIPATE AS A SIGNIFICANT TROPICAL CYCLONE. THIS IS THE FINAL
WARNING ON THIS SYSTEM BY THE JOINT TYPHOON WARNING CENTER
(NAVPACMETOCCEN WEST GU). THE SYSTEM WILL BE CLOSELY MONITORED FOR
SIGNS OF REGENERATION. REFER TO TROPICAL CYCLONE  06S (NONAME)
WARNINGS (WTXS32 PGTW) FOR TWELVE-HOURLY UPDATES.//

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message.  For help with the
WX-TROPL or WX-TALK discussion groups write to [email-masked] or see
http://www.inlink.com/~landmb/intro.html.  For more information on
tropical weather products, see the NCEP Products Homepage at
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/nhcprod.html.