Subject: Indian-S: 1. Tropical Cyclone 28s (fiona) Warning Nr 007

From: SIU Weather Processor <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 1998 20:54:17 -0600

977
WTXS31 PGTW 200300
IMMEDIATE DELIVERY REQ TO AMEMBASSY PORT LOUIS
1. TROPICAL CYCLONE 28S (FIONA) WARNING NR 007
   01 ACTIVE TROPICAL CYCLONE IN SOUTHERN INDIAN OCEAN
   MAX SUSTAINED WINDS BASED ON ONE-MINUTE AVERAGE
    ---
   WARNING POSITION:
   200000Z2 --- 21.5S8 58.5E8
     MOVEMENT PAST SIX HOURS - 180 DEGREES AT 07 KTS
     POSITION ACCURATE TO WITHIN 060 NM
     POSITION BASED ON CENTER LOCATED BY SATELLITE
   PRESENT WIND DISTRIBUTION:
   MAX SUSTAINED WINDS - 035 KT, GUSTS 040 KT
   DISSIPATING AS A SIGNIFICANT TROPICAL CYCLONE OVER WATER
   REPEAT POSIT: 21.5S8 58.5E8
    ---
   FORECASTS:
   12 HRS, VALID AT:
   201200Z5 --- 22.9S3 58.3E6
   MAX SUSTAINED WINDS - 035 KT, GUSTS 040 KT
   DISSIPATING AS A SIGNIFICANT TROPICAL CYCLONE OVER WATER
   VECTOR TO 24 HR POSIT: 180 DEG/ 08 KTS
    ---
   24 HRS, VALID AT:
   210000Z3 --- 24.4S0 58.3E6
   MAX SUSTAINED WINDS - 030 KT, GUSTS 035 KT
   DISSIPATED AS A SIGNIFICANT TROPICAL CYCLONE OVER WATER
    ---
REMARKS:
200300Z5 POSITION 21.8S1   58.4E7.
TROPICAL CYCLONE 28S (FIONA) HAS TRACKED SOUTHWARD AT 7 KNOTS
FOR THE PAST 6 HOURS. WARNING POSITION IS BASED ON 192300Z5
INFRARED SATELLITE IMAGERY. WARNING INTENSITY IS BASED ON
CONTINUITY WITH THE PREVIOUS FORECAST AND THE TENDENCY FOR LOW
LEVEL CIRCULATION SYSTEMS TO RETAIN SIGNIFICANT SURFACE WINDS
AFTER HAVING BEEN SHEARED. TROPICAL CYCLONE 28S (FIONA) HAS BEGUN
TRACKING SOUTHWARD. THE SYSTEM SHOULD CONTINUE TO TRACK SOUTHWARD
UNDER THE INFLUENCE OF LOW LEVEL STEERING FLOW THROUGHOUT THE
FORECAST PERIOD AS IT=S CENTRAL CONVECTION HAS BEEN SHEARED.
TROPICAL CYCLONE 28S (FIONA) SHOULD CONTINUE TO SLOWLY WEAKEN AND
DISSIPATE BY THE 24 HOUR POSITION. MAXIMUM SIGNIFICANT WAVE
HEIGHT AT 200000Z IS 12 FEET. NEXT WARNING AT 201500Z8 (DTG
201351Z2).//

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message.  For help with the
WX-TROPL or WX-TALK discussion groups write to [email-masked] or see
http://www.inlink.com/~landmb/intro.html.  For more information on
tropical weather products, see the NCEP Products Homepage at
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/nhcprod.html.