Subject: Indian-N: Subj/significant Tropical Weather Advisory For The Indian

From: SIU Weather Processor <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2000 11:51:13 -0600

837
ABIO10 PGTW 171800
MSGID/GENADMIN/NAVPACMETOCCEN PEARL HARBOR HI//
SUBJ/SIGNIFICANT TROPICAL WEATHER ADVISORY FOR THE INDIAN
OCEAN/171800Z/181800Z MAR 00//
REF/A/NAVPACMETOCCEN PEARL HARBOR HI/171351Z MAR 00//
AMPN/TROPICAL CYCLONE WARNING/
RMKS/
1. NORTH INDIAN OCEAN AREA (MALAY PENINSULA WEST TO COAST OF
AFRICA):
   A. TROPICAL CYCLONE SUMMARY: NONE.
   B. TROPICAL DISTURBANCE SUMMARY: NONE.
2. SOUTH INDIAN OCEAN AREA (135E9 WEST TO COAST OF AFRICA):
   A. TROPICAL CYCLONE SUMMARY:
      (1) AT 171200Z1, TROPICAL CYCLONE 20S (OLGA) WAS LOCATED NEAR
17.3S1 111.5E8 APPROXIMATELY 335 NM NORTH-NORTHWEST OF LEARMONTH,
AUSTRALIA AND WAS MOVING WESTWARD AT 10 KNOTS. MAXIMUM SUSTAINED
WINDS WERE 35 KNOTS WITH GUSTS TO 45 KNOTS. SEE REF A (WTXS31 PGTW
171500) FOR FURTHER DETAILS.
      (2) NO OTHER TROPICAL CYCLONES.
   B. TROPICAL DISTURBANCE SUMMARY:
      (1) AN AREA OF CONVECTION HAS DEVELOPED NEAR 12.2S5 128.5E6,
APPROXIMATELY 140 NM WEST OF DARWIN, AUSTRALIA. ANIMATED INFRARED
SATELLITE IMAGERY DEPICTS PERSISTENT CONVECTION OVER THE PAST 6
HOURS. A RECENT QUIKSCAT SCATTEROMETER PASS INDICATES A WEAK LOW-
LEVEL CIRCULATION CENTER (LLCC). UW-CIMSS ANALYSIS SHOWS THAT THE
LLCC IS UNDER LIGHT TO MODERATE VERTICAL WIND SHEAR. MAXIMUM
SUSTAINED WINDS ARE ESTIMATED AT 10 TO 15 KNOTS. MINIMUM SEA LEVEL
PRESSURE IS ESTIMATED TO BE 1006 MB. THE POTENTIAL FOR DEVELOPMENT
OF A SIGNIFICANT TROPICAL CYCLONE WITHIN THE NEXT 24 HOURS IS POOR.
      (2) NO OTHER SUSPECT AREAS.
FORECAST TEAM: BARLOW/MAYER/TON//