Subject: Pacific-NC: Tropical Weather Discussion

From: SIU Weather Processor <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2003 03:53:42 -0600

ACPA40 PHFO 270930
TWDPA

TROPICAL WEATHER DISCUSSION
EASTERN NORTH AND SOUTH PACIFIC
CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER/WEATHER FORECAST OFFICE
HONOLULU HI
1000 UTC JANUARY 27 2003

NORTH PACIFIC...FROM 30N TO EQUATOR BETWEEN 140W AND 180
SOUTH PACIFIC...FROM 25S TO EQUATOR BETWEEN 120W AND 180

BASED ON METEOROLOGICAL ANALYSIS THROUGH 0600 UTC AND SATELLITE
IMAGERY THROUGH 0900 UTC. MOVEMENTS AND TRENDS PAST 24 HOURS
UNLESS STATED OTHERWISE.

NORTH PACIFIC

TROPICAL CYCLONES/DISTURBANCES...
NONE.

OTHER SIGNIFICANT FEATURES...
COLD FRONT...THE LEADING EDGE OF A FRONTAL CLOUD BAND EXTENDS ALONG
LINE 30N147W 28N166W 20N180. THIS BAND OF BROKEN TO OVERCAST
CLOUDS IS 100 TO 200 MILES WIDE...AND CONSISTS OF BROKEN TO
OVERCAST MULTI LAYER CLOUDS NORTH OF 28N...AND BROKEN TO OVERCAST
LOW CLOUDS SOUTH OF 28N. THIS FEATURE HAS MOVED TOWARDS THE EAST AT
10 KNOTS ALONG 30N...SOUTHEAST AT 10 KNOTS ALONG 20N. THE CLOUD BAND
ALSO EXTENDS WEST OF THE DATELINE.

ITCZ...THE AXIS OF ITCZ RELATED CLOUDS EXTENDS ALONG LINE 05N140W
01N165W 02N180. EAST OF 160W THE CLOUD BAND IS 200 TO 250 MILES WIDE
AND CONSISTS OF BROKEN LOW CLOUDS WITH ISOLATED...SPORADIC CB/TCU.
WEST OF 160W THE BAND IS MADE UP OF BROKEN HIGH CLOUDS WITH
ISOLATED...SPORADIC CB. THE CB ALONG THE ITCZ HAVE MOVED
LITTLE...WEAKENED AND DECREASED IN COVERAGE.

MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS...KAUAI TO THE BIG ISLAND OF HAWAII...
THE EASTERN EDGE OF A REMNANT FRONTAL CLOUD BAND EXTENDS ALONG LINE
30N140W 23N150W 19N160W. IT IS 100 TO 200 MILES WIDE AND IS MADE UP
OF BROKEN TO OCCASIONALLY SCATTERED LOW CLOUDS. THIS FEATURE HAS
BEEN MOVING TOWARDS THE NORTHWEST AT 10 KNOTS. FOR DETAILS...SEE THE
LATEST HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE WITH WMO
HEADER ATHW40 PHFO AND AWIPS HEADER HFOSIMHI.

NORTHWEST HAWAIIAN ISLANDS...KURE ATOLL TO NIHOA INCLUDING MIDWAY...
SEE COLD FRONT UNDER OTHER SIGNIFICANT FEATURES ABOVE.

JOHNSTON ISLAND...
THERE ARE FEW TO SCATTERED LOW CLOUDS.

ELSEWHERE...
NO SIGNIFICANT DEEP CONVECTION.

SOUTH PACIFIC

TROPICAL CYCLONES/DISTURBANCES...
TROPICAL CYCLONE CILLA CENTERED NEAR 19.5S 176.0W AT 0822
UTC...FREQUENT CB WITHIN 60 NM OF THE CENTER MOVED SOUTHEAST AT 15
KNOTS...AND CHANGED LITTLE IN COVERAGE OR INTENSITY. THE SYSTEM IS
VERY COMPACT WITH A FEW SMALL CONVECTIVE BANDS ROTATING AROUND THE
LOW LEVEL CIRCULATION CENTER. OCCASIONAL TO FREQUENT CB WITHIN 75 NM
OF LINE 15S177W 19S173W 21S172W MOVED SOUTHEAST AT 15
KNOTS...INTENSIFIED AND INCREASED IN COVERAGE. THESE CB ARE
ASSOCIATED WITH A CONVERGENCE BAND NORTHEAST OF THE STORM. REFER TO
THE LATEST BULLETINS FROM THE JOINT TYPHOON WARNING CENTER AND THE
NADI TROPICAL CYCLONE CENTER.

OTHER SIGNIFICANT FEATURES...
COLD FRONT/CZ...A LARGE AREA OF BROKEN TO OVERCAST MULTI LAYER
CLOUDS IS BOUNDED ROUGHLY BETWEEN 13S AND 25S...AND BETWEEN THE
DATELINE AND 144W. MOST OF THE CLOUDS ARE CIRRUS. ISOLATED CB WITHIN
125 NM OF LINE 11S180 20S165W 21S150W MOVED LITTLE...AND CHANGED
LITTLE IN COVERAGE OR INTENSITY. THE CB ARE DISORGANIZED AND
SPORADIC.

AMERICAN SAMOA AND THE INDEPENDENT STATE OF SAMOA...
SEE CZ UNDER OTHER SIGNIFICANT FEATURES ABOVE.

ELSEWHERE...
ISOLATED CB BOUNDED BY THE EQUATOR AND 09S...AND BETWEEN THE
DATELINE AND 164W...MOVED SOUTHWEST AT 25 KNOTS...WEAKENED AND
DECREASED IN COVERAGE.

FOURNIER

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked] or see http://wxlist.5280tech.com. For more
information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage
at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.