Subject: Pacific-NC: Tropical Weather Discussion

From: SIU Weather Processor <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2003 15:50:28 -0600

ACPA40 PHFO 172150
TWDPA

TROPICAL WEATHER DISCUSSION
EASTERN NORTH AND SOUTH PACIFIC
CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER/WEATHER FORECAST OFFICE
HONOLULU HI
2200 UTC JANUARY 17 2003

NORTH PACIFIC...FROM 30N TO EQUATOR BETWEEN 140W AND 180
SOUTH PACIFIC...FROM 25S TO EQUATOR BETWEEN 120W AND 180

BASED ON METEOROLOGICAL ANALYSIS THROUGH 1800 UTC AND SATELLITE
IMAGERY THROUGH 2100 UTC. MOVEMENTS AND TRENDS PAST 24 HOURS
UNLESS STATED OTHERWISE.

NORTH PACIFIC

TROPICAL CYCLONES/DISTURBANCES...
NONE.

OTHER SIGNIFICANT FEATURES...
COLD FRONT...THE LEADING EDGE OF A FRONTAL CLOUD BAND EXTENDS ALONG
LINE 30N148W 25N156W 18N180. NORTH OF 25N THERE ARE BROKEN TO
OVERCAST MULTI LAYER CLOUDS IN A 250 TO 400 MILE WIDE BAND. SOUTH OF
25N THERE ARE BROKEN TO OVERCAST LOW CLOUDS IN A 150 TO 300 MILE
WIDE BAND. THIS FEATURE EXTENDS NORTH OF 30N FOR SEVERAL HUNDRED
MILES...AND WEST OF THE DATELINE AS A SHEAR LINE TO 16N171E.

SHEAR LINE...THE EASTERN EDGE OF A DIMINISHING CLOUD BAND EXTENDS
ALONG LINE 19N140W 14N145W. THERE ARE BROKEN TO OCCASIONALLY
SCATTERED LOW CLOUDS IN A 150 MILE WIDE BAND. THIS FEATURE EXTENDS
NORTHEAST OF THE CPHC TWD AREA FOR SEVERAL HUNDRED MILES AS AN
EASTWARD-MOVING COLD FRONT.

ITCZ...OCCASIONAL CB WITHIN 125 NM OF LINE 07N173W 06N180 MOVED
LITTLE...INTENSIFIED AND INCREASED IN COVERAGE. ISOLATED CB HAVE
RECENTLY DEVELOPED WITHIN 75 NM OF LINE 07N158W 04N163W 05N172W.
ISOLATED TO OCCASIONAL CB WITHIN 100 NM OF LINE MOVED
LITTLE...WEAKENED AND DECREASED IN COVERAGE.

MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS...KAUAI TO THE BIG ISLAND OF HAWAII...
SCATTERED TO OCCASIONALLY BROKEN LOW CLOUDS COVER THE MAIN HAWAIIAN
ISLANDS AND VICINITY...WITH THE GREATEST CONCENTRATION OF BROKEN
LOW CLOUDS WEST AND SOUTHWEST OF OAHU. FOR DETAILS...SEE THE LATEST
HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE WITH WMO HEADER
ATHW40 PHFO AND AWIPS HEADER HFOSIMHI.

NORTHWEST HAWAIIAN ISLANDS...KURE ATOLL TO NIHOA INCLUDING MIDWAY...
SEE COLD FRONT UNDER OTHER SIGNIFICANT FEATURES ABOVE.
OTHERWISE...THERE ARE SCATTERED TO OCCASIONALLY BROKEN LOW CLOUDS
NORTH OF THE FRONT.

JOHNSTON ISLAND...
THERE ARE SCATTERED LOW CLOUDS OVER JOHNSTON ISLAND AND VICINITY.

ELSEWHERE...
NO SIGNIFICANT DEEP CONVECTION OR SYNOPTIC SCALE WEATHER SYSTEMS.

SOUTH PACIFIC

TROPICAL CYCLONES/DISTURBANCES...
NONE.

OTHER SIGNIFICANT FEATURES...
WEAK MID/UPPER LEVEL TROUGH...ISOLATED CB BOUNDED BY 05S154W 09S137W
16S143W 09S159W 05S154W MOVED LITTLE...WEAKENED AND DECREASED IN
COVERAGE.

CZ...ISOLATED CB HAVE RECENTLY FORMED WITHIN 75 NM OF LINE 07S161W
09S169W. ISOLATED TO OCCASIONAL CB BOUNDED BY EQ180 04S174W 12S173W
10S178E EQ180 MOVED WEST AT 10 TO 15 KNOTS...AND CHANGED LITTLE IN
COVERAGE OR INTENSITY.

AMERICAN SAMOA AND THE INDEPENDENT STATE OF SAMOA...
THERE ARE SCATTERED LOW CLOUDS AND ISOLATED TCU/CB OVER THE SAMOAN
ISLANDS AND VICINITY.

ELSEWHERE...
NO SIGNIFICANT DEEP CONVECTION OR SYNOPTIC SCALE WEATHER SYSTEMS.

FOURNIER

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked] or see http://wxlist.5280tech.com. For more
information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage
at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.