Subject: Pacific-NC: Tropical Weather Discussion

From: SIU Weather Processor <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 25 Jan 2003 15:54:21 -0600

ACPA40 PHFO 252154
TWDPA

TROPICAL WEATHER DISCUSSION
EASTERN NORTH AND SOUTH PACIFIC
CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER/WEATHER FORECAST OFFICE
HONOLULU HI
2200 UTC JANUARY 25 2003

NORTH PACIFIC...FROM 30N TO EQUATOR BETWEEN 140W AND 180
SOUTH PACIFIC...FROM 25S TO EQUATOR BETWEEN 120W AND 180

BASED ON METEOROLOGICAL ANALYSIS THROUGH 1800 UTC AND SATELLITE
IMAGERY THROUGH 2100 UTC. MOVEMENTS AND TRENDS PAST 24 HOURS
UNLESS STATED OTHERWISE.

NORTH PACIFIC

TROPICAL CYCLONES/DISTURBANCES...
NONE.

OTHER SIGNIFICANT FEATURES...
COLD FRONT/SHEAR LINE...THE LEADING EDGE OF A FRONTAL CLOUD BAND
EXTENDS ALONG LINE 28N140W 16N162W. NORTH OF 24N THE CLOUD BAND IS
200 TO 300 MILES WIDE AND CONSISTS OF BROKEN TO OVERCAST MULTI LAYER
CLOUDS. ISOLATED EMBEDDED CB WITHIN 75 NM OF LINE 30N141W 24N149W
MOVED EAST AT 20 TO 25 KNOTS...AND CHANGED LITTLE IN COVERAGE OR
INTENSITY. SOUTH OF 24N THE CLOUD BAND IS 100 TO 200 MILES
WIDE...AND IS MADE UP OF BROKEN TO OCCASIONALLY SCATTERED LOW
CLOUDS. THIS PART OF THE CLOUD BAND IS ASSOCIATED WITH A
SHEARLINE...AND HAS BEEN MOVING TOWARDS THE SOUTHEAST AT 5 TO 10
KNOTS. IT HAS WEAKENED CONSIDERABLY DURING THE PAST 24 HOURS.

ITCZ...ISOLATED CB WITHIN 75 NM OF LINE 04N140W 04N158W MOVED
LITTLE...AND CHANGED LITTLE IN COVERAGE OR INTENSITY. THESE CB ALSO
EXTEND EAST OF 140W. ISOLATED TO OCCASIONAL CB WITHIN 140 NM OF LINE
05N159W 04N176W MOVED SOUTH AT 5 KNOTS...AND CHANGED LITTLE IN
COVERAGE OR INTENSITY. ISOLATED TO OCCASIONAL CB BOUNDED BY 10N179E
06N176E EQ176E EQ175E 07N173E 10N179E MOVED LITTLE...AND CHANGED
LITTLE IN INTENSITY OR COVERAGE.

MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS...KAUAI TO THE BIG ISLAND OF HAWAII...
SEE COLD FRONT/SHEAR LINE UNDER OTHER SIGNIFICANT FEATURES ABOVE.
FOR DETAILS...SEE THE LATEST HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE
INTERPRETATION MESSAGE WITH WMO HEADER ATHW40 PHFO AND AWIPS HEADER
HFOSIMHI.

NORTHWEST HAWAIIAN ISLANDS...KURE ATOLL TO NIHOA INCLUDING MIDWAY...
BROKEN TO OVERCAST HIGH CLOUDS ARE MOVING TOWWARDS THE EAST OVER
MIDWAY AND VICINITY.

JOHNSTON ISLAND...
JOHNSTON ISLAND IN ON THE NORTHERN FRINGES OF A BAND OF SCATTERED TO
BROKEN LOW CLOUDS. ITS NORTHERN EDGE EXTENDS ALONG LINE 18N164W
15N180...AND IT IS ABOUT 100 MILES WIDE.

ELSEWHERE...
NO SIGNIFICANT DEEP CONVECTION.

SOUTH PACIFIC

TROPICAL CYCLONES/DISTURBANCES...
NONE.

OTHER SIGNIFICANT FEATURES...
SURFACE TROUGH...ISOLATED CB WITHIN 150 NM OF LINE 13S160W 19S146W
25S143W MOVED LITTLE...AND CHANGED LITTLE IN COVERAGE OR INTENSITY.

SURFACE TROUGH...OCCASIONAL CB HAVE RECENTLY DEVELOPED WITHIN 75 NM
OF LINE 19S177W 23S168W.

AMERICAN SAMOA AND THE INDEPENDENT STATE OF SAMOA...
ISOLATED TO OCCASIONAL CB WITHIN 100 NM OF LINE 11S169W 18S164W
MOVED EAST SOUTHEAST AT 20 KNOTS...AND CHANGED LITTLE IN COVERAGE OR
INTENSITY.

ELSEWHERE...
NO SIGNIFICANT DEEP CONVECTION.

FOURNIER

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked] or see http://wxlist.5280tech.com. For more
information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage
at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.