Subject: Pacific-NC: Tropical Weather Discussion

From: SIU Weather Processor <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 2003 03:58:42 -0600

ACPA40 PHFO 190949
TWDPA

TROPICAL WEATHER DISCUSSION
EASTERN NORTH AND SOUTH PACIFIC
CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER/WEATHER FORECAST OFFICE
HONOLULU HI
1000 UTC JANUARY 19 2003

NORTH PACIFIC...FROM 30N TO EQUATOR BETWEEN 140W AND 180
SOUTH PACIFIC...FROM 25S TO EQUATOR BETWEEN 120W AND 180

BASED ON METEOROLOGICAL ANALYSIS THROUGH 0600 UTC AND SATELLITE
IMAGERY THROUGH 0900 UTC. MOVEMENTS AND TRENDS PAST 24 HOURS
UNLESS STATED OTHERWISE.

NORTH PACIFIC

TROPICAL CYCLONES/DISTURBANCES...
NONE.

OTHER SIGNIFICANT FEATURES...
COLD FRONT...THE LEADING EDGE OF A FRONTAL CLOUD BAND EXTENDS ALONG
LINE 30N142W 23N151W 16N171W. THIS CLOUD BAND IS 200 TO 300 MILES
WIDE...AND CONSISTS OF BROKEN TO OVERCAST LOW CLOUDS SOUTH OF
25N...AND BROKEN TO OVERCAST MULTI LAYER CLOUDS NORTH OF 25N. THE
CLOUD BAND IS MOVING TOWARDS THE EAST AT 10 KNOTS ALONG 30N...AND
SOUTHEAST AT 5 KNOTS NEAR THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS AND JOHNSTON
ISLAND.

COLD FRONT...THE LEADING EDGE OF ANOTHER FRONTAL CLOUD BAND EXTENDS
ALONG LINE 30N176W 26N172E 24N159E. THIS CLOUD BAND IS 150 TO 200
MILES WIDE...AND CONSISTS OF BROKEN MULTI LAYER CLOUDS NORTH OF
28N...AND SCATTERED TO OCCASIONALLY BROKEN MULTI LAYER CLOUDS SOUTH
OF 28N. THIS CLOUD BAND IS MOVING TOWARDS THE EAST SOUTHEAST NEAR 50
KNOTS.

ITCZ...THE ITCZ IS VERY QUIET...WITH JUST A FEW
SMALL...DISORGANIZED CB BOUNDED BY 09N178W 04N159W 02N160W EQ179W
09N178W. THESE CB HAVE MOVED LITTLE...WEAKENED AND DECREASED IN
COVERAGE.

MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS...KAUAI TO THE BIG ISLAND OF HAWAII...
SEE FIRST COLD FRONT UNDER OTHER SIGNIFICANT FEATURES ABOVE. FOR
DETAILS...SEE THE LATEST HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION
MESSAGE WITH WMO HEADER ATHW40 PHFO AND AWIPS HEADER HFOSIMHI.

NORTHWEST HAWAIIAN ISLANDS...KURE ATOLL TO NIHOA INCLUDING MIDWAY...
SEE COLD FRONTS UNDER OTHER SIGNIFICANT FEATURES ABOVE. OTHERWISE
BROKEN HIGH CLOUDS ARE MOVING RAPIDLY TOWARDS THE EAST FROM MIDWAY
TO FRENCH FRIGATE SHOALS.

JOHNSTON ISLAND...
SEE FIRST COLD FRONT UNDER OTHER SIGNIFICANT FEATURES ABOVE.

ELSEWHERE...
NO SIGNIFICANT DEEP CONVECTION.

SOUTH PACIFIC

TROPICAL CYCLONES/DISTURBANCES...
NONE.

OTHER SIGNIFICANT FEATURES...
SHEAR LINE...ISOLATED CB HAVE RECENTLY DEVELOPED WITHIN 100 NM OF
LINE 16S168W 26S143W. THE NORTHEAST EDGE OF A BAND OF BROKEN LOW
CLOUDS EXTENDS ALONG LINE 25S142W 18S160W. THIS CLOUD BAND IS 100 TO
200 MILES WIDE...AND HAS MOVED LITTLE.

AMERICAN SAMOA AND THE INDEPENDENT STATE OF SAMOA...
ISOLATED CB HAVE RECENTLY DEVELOPED OVER THE COASTAL WATERS OF THE
SAMOAN ISLANDS.

ELSEWHERE...
ISOLATED...DISORGANIZED CB BOUNDED BY EQ179W 06S169W 07S153W 17S159W
09S167W 11S180 EQ179W MOVED LITTLE...INTENSIFIED AND INCREASED
SLIGHTLY IN COVERAGE.

FOURNIER

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked] or see http://wxlist.5280tech.com. For more
information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage
at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.