Subject: Pacific-NC: Tropical Weather Discussion

From: SIU Weather Processor <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 04 Jan 2003 16:00:06 -0600

ACPA40 PHFO 042159
TWDPA

TROPICAL WEATHER DISCUSSION
EASTERN NORTH AND SOUTH PACIFIC
CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER/WEATHER FORECAST OFFICE
HONOLULU HI
2200 UTC JANUARY 04 2003

NORTH PACIFIC...FROM 30N TO EQUATOR BETWEEN 140W AND 180
SOUTH PACIFIC...FROM 25S TO EQUATOR BETWEEN 120W AND 180

BASED ON METEOROLOGICAL ANALYSIS THROUGH 1800 UTC AND SATELLITE
IMAGERY THROUGH 2100 UTC.  MOVEMENTS AND TRENDS PAST 24 HOURS UNLESS
STATED OTHERWISE.

NORTH PACIFIC

TROPICAL CYCLONES/DISTURBANCES...
NONE.

OTHER SIGNIFICANT FEATURES...
ITCZ...ISOLATED CB/TCU THAT CROSS THE DATELINE AND WITHIN 45 NM OF
LINE 07N177E 05N179E 05N175W HAVE BEEN NEARLY STATIONARY FOR 12
HOURS AND INCREASED IN AREA WITH LITTLE CHANGE IN INTENSITY.
ISOLATED CB/TCU BOUNDED BY 06N166W 04N167W 07N160W 07N154W 04N156W
01N166W 03N174W 05N174W HAVE MOVED WEST AT 15 KT AND INCREASED IN
AREA WITH LITTLE CHANGE IN INTENSITY.

FRONT...BROKEN TO OVERCAST MULTILAYERED CLOUDS WITH SCATTERED
SHOWERS THAT EXTEND NORTH OF 30N ARE BOUNDED BY 30N157W 30N151W
24N159W 26N160W...AND BROKEN TO OVERCAST LOW CLOUDS WITH SCATTERED
SHOWERS THAT EXTEND WEST OF THE DATELINE ARE BOUNDED BY 26N160W
24N159W 19N165W 16N175W 15N180 17N180 19N170W 22N164W.  FEATURE
MOVING EAST AT 35 TO 40 KT NORTH OF 25N...SOUTHEAST AT 20 KT SOUTH
OF 25N AND SOUTH AT 15 KT SOUTH OF 20N.

MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS...KAUAI TO THE BIG ISLAND OF HAWAII...
SEE OTHER SIGNIFICANT FEATURES...FRONT.  FOR MORE DETAILS...SEE THE
LATEST HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE WITH WMO
HEADER ATHW40 PHFO AND AWIPS HEADER HFOSIMHI.

NORTHWEST HAWAIIAN ISLANDS...KURE ATOLL TO NIHOA INCLUDING MIDWAY...
SEE OTHER SIGNIFICANT FEATURES...FRONT.

JOHNSTON ISLAND...
SEE OTHER SIGNIFICANT FEATURES...FRONT.  FEATURE IS NORTH OF
JOHNSTON AS OF BULLETIN TIME.

ELSEWHERE...
NO SIGNIFICANT CONVECTION.

SOUTH PACIFIC

TROPICAL CYCLONES/DISTURBANCES...
NONE.

OTHER SIGNIFICANT FEATURES...
CZ/SURFACE TROUGH (1)...ISOLATED CB/TCU THAT CROSS THE EQUATOR AND
DATELINE AND BOUNDED BY 03N173E 01S177W 06S176W 04S175E 01S171E
EQ166E HAVE MOVED SOUTHWEST AT 8 KT AND DECREASED IN AREA WITH
LITTLE CHANGE IN INTENSITY.

CZ/SURFACE TROUGH (2)...ISOLATED CB/TCU BOUNDED BY EQ176W EQ170W
08S165W 14S162W 14S166W 16S169W 10S172W 07S176W 05S175W HAVE BEEN
NEARLY STATIONARY AND INCREASED IN AREA WITH LITTLE CHANGE IN
INTENSITY.

SURFACE/UPPER TROUGH...ISOLATED CB/TCU THAT EXTEND SOUTH OF 25S AND
BOUNDED BY 16S153W 20S142W 25S147W 22S159W 20S154W HAVE MOVED EAST
AT 20 KT...INCREASED IN AREA AND INTENSIFIED.

AMERICAN SAMOA AND THE INDEPENDENT STATE OF SAMOA...
SEE OTHER SIGNIFICANT FEATURES...CZ/SURFACE TROUGH (2).  HOWEVER...
AS OF BULLETIN TIME...MOST OF THE SIGNIFICANT CONVECTION REMAINS
NORTH AND EAST OF SAMOA.

ELSEWHERE...
NEW ISOLATED CB/TCU ARE WITHIN 30 NM OF LINE 04S160W 05S161W.
ISOLATED CB/TCU WITHIN 45 NM OF LINE 08S178W 12S176W HAVE BEEN
NEARLY STATIONARY FOR 12 HOURS AND INCREASED IN AREA WITH LITTLE
CHANGE IN INTENSITY.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked] or see http://wxlist.5280tech.com. For more
information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage
at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.