Subject: Indian-N: Storm Warning For Metarea Vii

From: SIU Weather Processor <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Mar 2004 22:18:16 -0600

WTIO24 FMEE 091819
SECURITE
STORM WARNING FOR METAREA VII
ISSUED BY METEO-FRANCE/TROPICAL CYCLONE CENTRE/LA REUNION 09/03/2004 AT 1800
UTC. WARNING NUMBER: 031/09 (SOUTH-WEST INDIAN OCEAN)

10 MINUTES AVERAGE WIND SPEED IN KNOTS (KT)
(WIND GUSTS AT SEA MAY BE ABOUT 40% STRONGER THAN THE AVERAGED WIND).
MINIMUM SEA LEVEL PRESSURE IN HECTOPASCALS (HPA) (INDICATIVE FIGURE).

STORM WARNING
BEGINNING OF VALIDITY: TUESDAY   09/03/2004 AT 1800 UTC.

PHENOMENON:        SEVERE TROPICAL STORM 9 (GAFILO) 975 HPA
POSITION:           20.6S / 43.3E
(TWENTY DECIMAL SIX DEGREES SOUTH AND FORTY THREE DECIMAL THREE DEGREES
EAST) AT 1800 UTC
MOVEMENT:          SOUTH-EAST 7 KT

THREAT AREAS:
SQUALLY WEATHER EXISTS WITHIN 150 NM RADIUS OF THE CENTRE, EXTENDING UP TO
500 NM FROM THE CENTRE IN THE EASTERN SEMI-CIRCLE,  AND LOCALLY  UP TO  800
NM IN THE SOUTHEASTERN QUADRANT.

STORM FORCE WINDS 50/60 KT AND HIGH TO VERY HIGH SEAS WITHIN 20 NM RADIUS
OF THE CENTRE. GALE FORCE WINDS 35/45 KT AND HIGH SEAS EXIST WITHIN 120 NM
RADIUS OF THE  CENTRE, EXTENDING UP TO 180 NM RADIUS FROM THE CENTRE IN THE
SOUTHERN SEMI-CIRCLE. NEAR GALE FORCE WINDS 30 KT AND ROUGH TO VERY ROUGH
SEAS EXIST WITHIN 250  NM RADIUS OF THE CENTRE, EXTENDING UP TO 350 NM IN
THE NORTHERN SEMI-CIRCLE. REMARK : IN THE VICINITY OF THE SOUTHERN AND
SOUTHEASTERN MALAGASY COASTS  OF, DUE TO THE GRADIENT EFFECT WITH THE HIGH
SUBTROPICAL PRESSURES, GALE  FORCE WINDS 35/45 KT EXIST, REACHING LOCALLY
STORM FORCE 50 KT WITH HIGH  SEAS,  EXTENDING FROM 23 TO 28 SOUTH, BETWEEN
45 AND 55 EAST. STRONG GUSTS UNDER SQUALLS.

FORECAST POSITION AND INTENSITY:
12H, VALID 2004/03/10 AT 06 UTC:
21.6S / 44.0E, MAX WIND = 50 KT, OVERLAND.
24H, VALID 2004/03/10 AT 18 UTC:
22.2S / 44.5E, MAX WIND = 30 KT, OVERLAND.

OTHER INFORMATIONS:
GAFILO IS SLOWLY DEEPENING, AND IS CLEARLY TRACKING  TOWARDS THE WESTERN
MALAGASY COASTS SINCE THE LAST 6 HOURS. THE SYSTEM SHOULD LANDFALL THIS
NIGHT BETWEEN THE TOWNS OF MORONDAVA AND MOROMBE.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked] or see http://wxlist.5280tech.com. For more
information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage
at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.