Subject: Pacific-EN: Tropical Weather Discussion

From: SIU Weather Processor <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2005 10:04:38 -0600

AXPZ20 KNHC 291604
TWDEP 

TROPICAL WEATHER DISCUSSION 
NWS TPC/NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL
1605 UTC SAT JAN 29 2005

TROPICAL WEATHER DISCUSSION FOR EASTERN PACIFIC OCEAN FROM 
EQUATOR TO 32N...EAST OF 140W. THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION IS 
BASED ON SATELLITE IMAGERY...WEATHER OBSERVATIONS...RADAR...
AND METEOROLOGICAL ANALYSIS.

BASED ON 1200 UTC SURFACE ANALYSIS AND SATELLITE IMAGERY THROUGH 
1545 UTC.

..ITCZ...
INTERTROPICAL CONVERGENCE ZONE AXIS ALONG 5N77W 3N110W 4N130W 
4N140W. SCATTERED MODERATE TO STRONG WITHIN 60-90 NM OF THE AXIS 
E OF 80W. SCATTERED MODERATE WITHIN 60-75 NM OF THE AXIS BETWEEN 
84W AND 90W. 

..DISCUSSION...
W OF 110W...
A STRONG UPPER SHORTWAVE TROUGH EXTENDS FROM A CYCLONIC 
CIRCULATION CENTER NEAR LAS VEGAS NEVADA SWWD TO ANOTHER BUT 
LESS DEFINED CIRCULATION CENTER NEAR 25N133W. CIRCULATION CENTER 
WAS MOVING E 15 KT. AN AREA OF STRONG SUBSIDENCE IS LOCATED W OF 
THE TROUGH EXTENDING FROM 8N TO 20N W OF 130W. SATELLITE DERIVED 
WINDS INDICATED A 120 KT JET...LOCATED E OF THE UPPER 
TROUGH...EXTENDED FROM 18N127W NEWD THROUGH 23N123W CENTRAL BAJA 
CALIFORNIA AND EWD ACROSS EXTREME NRN MEXICO AND TEXAS. JET IS 
ADVECTING MID TO UPPER LEVEL MOISTURE/CLOUDINESS FROM THE ITCZ 
NEWD INTO THE MEXICO AND THE S CONUS IN AN EL NINO TYPE PATTERN. 

A LARGE UPPER ANTICYCLONE WAS LOCATED NW OF THE AREA FOLLOWING 
THE SHORTWAVE TROUGH. THIS SYSTEM SUPPORTS A STRONG SURFACE HIGH 
COVERING THE AREA N OF 15N W OF 110W.  

E OF 110W
A WEAK UPPER TROUGH AXIS IS LOCATED OVER THE ISTHMUS OF 
TEHUANTEPEC AND EXTENDS SW TO NEAR 7N106W. THE TROUGH IS MOVING 
E 10 KT. MODERATE TO STRONG SUBSIDENCE/DRY AIR ALOFT COVERS THE 
THE ENTIRE AREA E OF THE TROUGH WITH MODERATE TO STRONG SWLY 
FLOW ALOFT. THE ONLY EXCEPTION TO THE DRY AIR ALOFT WAS AN AREA 
OF SCATTERED MODERATE TO STRONG CONVECTION WITHIN 60-90 NM OF 
THE ITCZ E OF 80W TO THE COAST OF COLOMBIA AND SCATTERED 
MODERATE WITHIN 60-75 NM OF THE AXIS BETWEEN 84W AND 90W.

QUIKSCAT PASS FROM 1046 UTC INDICATED 20 KT WINDS WERE BLOWING 
IN THE GULF OF PANAMA AND A LATER PASS AT 1228 UTC INDICATED 
20-25 KT WINDS IN THE GULF OF TEHUANTEPEC. THE FIRST VISIBLE 
SATELLITE IMAGES SHOWED A BANKING OF LOW CLOUDS WITHIN THE 
PASSES LEADING INTO THE E PACIFIC CONFIRMING THE EXISTENCE OF 
THESE GAP WINDS. 
    
$$
COBB

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked] or see http://wxlist.5280tech.com. For more
information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage
at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.