Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 12:34:50 -0600

192 
ATHW40 PHFO 211834
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
1830 UTC MON JAN 21 2008

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 1800 UTC JANUARY 21 2008

A BROAD FIELD OF SCATTERED TO BROKEN LOW CLOUDS IS MOVING WESTWARD 
IN MODERATE TRADE WIND FLOW. THIS FIELD OF LOW CLOUDS EXTENDS WELL 
UPSTREAM OF THE ISLANDS. THESE CLOUDS ARE SHOWERY IN APPEARANCE AND 
ARE SEEN MOVING INTO THE WINDWARD SIDES OF MOST OF THE MAIN HAWAIIAN 
ISLANDS. CLOUD TOPS ARE ESTIMATED TO BE UP TO AROUND 10000 FEET. 

LOW CLOUD COVERAGE DID VARY FROM ISLAND TO ISLAND. OVER ON KAUAI 
SCATTERED TO BROKEN LOW CLOUDS ARE COVERING MUCH OF THE EASTERN HALF 
OF THE ISLAND ESPECIALLY OVER INTERIOR SECTIONS. ON OAHU LOW CLOUDS 
ARE BANKED UP OVER THE SLOPES AND SUMMITS OF THE KOOLAU RANGE WITH 
JUST A FEW SCATTERED LOW CLOUDS SEEN ELSEWHERE. BROKEN LOW CLOUDS 
ARE COVERING MOST INTERIOR SECTIONS OF MOLOKAI WITH JUST A FEW 
PATCHES SEEN OVER LANAI. OVER ON MAUI LOW CLOUDS ARE SEEN OVER THE 
NORTHERN AND EASTERN SLOPES OF HALEAKALA WITH LOW CLOUDS ALSO SEEN 
OVER THE SLOPES AND SUMMITS OF THE WEST MAUI MOUNTAINS. OVER ON THE 
BIG ISLAND LOW CLOUDS ARE BANKED UP OVER THE LOWER WINDWARD SLOPES 
FROM NORTH KOHALA SOUTHWARD THROUGH THE PUNA DISTRICT. THE HIGH 
SUMMITS OF MAUNA KEA AND MAUNA LOA REMAIN SNOW COVERED. 

WATER VAPOR IMAGERY SHOWS AN NORTHEAST THROUGH SOUTHWEST ORIENTED 
UPPER LEVEL TROUGH LOCATED TO THE NORTH NORTHEAST OF THE ISLANDS. 
THIS UPPER TROUGH HAS BEEN MOVING SOUTHWARD OVER THE PAST SEVERAL 
HOURS. FAR TO THE WEST AND NORTHWEST OF THE STATE LIES A BROAD 
FIELD OF LAYERED CLOUDS THAT ARE STREAMING TOWARD THE NORTHEAST IN 
ASSOCIATION WITH A BROAD UPPER TROUGH CENTERED FAR TO THE NORTHWEST 
OF THE ISLANDS.   

$$

BURKE

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.