Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2008 06:00:12 -0600

210 
ATHW40 PHFO 171200
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
1200 UTC SUN FEB 17 2008

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 1130 UTC FEBRUARY 17 2008

BROKEN TO OVERCAST LOW CLOUDS ARE MOVING OVER OAHU FROM THE WEST 
AND SOUTHWEST THIS EARLY MORNING.  LOW CEILINGS ARE PREVALENT OVER 
THE BIG ISLAND BELOW 10 THOUSAND FEET AS WELL.  SCATTERED TO BROKEN 
LOW CLOUDS ARE THE RULE IN KAUAI...WHILE MOST OF MAUI COUNTY IS 
CLEAR TO SCATTERED AS OF BULLETIN TIME.  LOW CLOUD MOTION IS LIGHT 
AND VARIABLE NEAR THE BIG ISLAND...BECOMES A DRIFT FROM THE SOUTH 
NEAR MAUI COUNTY...AND EVENTUALLY VEERS TOWARD THE SOUTHWEST AT 10 
TO 15 MPH MOVING UP THE CHAIN TO OAHU AND KAUAI.

CONVERGENT LOW CLOUDINESS IS CAUSING CEILINGS IN THE KAUAI 
CHANNEL...AND JUST NORTH...NORTHEAST...SOUTH AND SOUTHWEST OF OAHU.  
THE LEADING EDGE OF A BROADER AREA OF CONVERGENT LOW CLOUDS...AHEAD 
OF FRONT AND 150 MILES WIDE...IS ORIENTED NORTHEAST TO SOUTHWEST... 
IS 90 MILES WEST OF KAUAI...AND HAS BEEN HEADING EASTWARD NEAR 15 
MPH OVER THE PAST SIX HOURS.  SCATTERED TO BROKEN LOW CLOUDS EXIST 
IMMEDIATELY WEST OF THE NORTH KONA DISTRICT ON THE BIG ISLAND...AND 
IN THE SOUTHERN PORTION OF THE ALENUIHAHA CHANNEL. SKIES ARE CLEAR 
TO PARTLY CLOUDY ELSEWHERE IN THE ADJACENT COASTAL WATERS.

THE LEADING EDGE OF SCATTERED TO BROKEN LOW AND MIDDLE CLOUDS WITH A 
WEAK COLD FRONT IS 275 MILES NORTHWEST OF KAUAI AS OF THIS 
WRITING...AND HAS BEEN PUSHING TOWARD THE EAST NEAR 10 MPH OVER THE 
PAST SEVERAL HOURS.  LOOKING AT THE AREA ALONG AND SOUTH OF 30N AND 
ALONG AND EAST OF THE DATELINE...MOST OF THE CLOUDINESS WITH THE 
BOUNDARY IS NORTH OF A LINE FROM 30N150W TO 24N164W TO 24N175W TO 
22N180.

IN THE UPPER AIR...WATER VAPOR IMAGES AND THE LATEST GFS OUTPUT FOR 
250 MB SHOW RIDGING EXTENDING FROM 31N146W TO 26N153W TO 21N166W TO 
17N177E.  AS THE CASE LAST EVENING...THE DRY CONDITIONS ASSOCIATED 
WITH THIS RIDGING ALOFT CONTINUE TO SLOWLY EXPAND TOWARD THE EAST 
AND NORTHEAST...INCLUDING OVER THE HAWAIIAN ISLANDS.

$$ 

KINEL

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.