Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2008 06:31:09 -0600

934 
ATHW40 PHFO 191231
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
1230 UTC SAT JAN 19 2008

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 1200 UTC JANUARY 19 2008

UPPER LEVEL TROUGHING IS TRIGGERING THUNDERSTORMS 125 MILES 
SOUTHEAST OF THE BIG ISLAND AND SEVERAL HUNDRED MILES TO THE NORTH. 
HOWEVER...THIS FEATURE IS WEAKENING OVER THE MAIN HAWAIIAN 
ISLANDS...WHERE THE ATMOSPHERE IS GRADUALLY BECOMING MORE STABLE.

THE UPPER LEVEL TROUGH OVER THE REGION IS EVOLVING INTO TO ENTITIES. 
THE NORTHERN END OF THE UPPER TROUGH IS CENTERED ALONG 30N 151W AND 
24N 157W AND IS MOVING TO THE EAST NORTHEAST NEAR 15 MPH. AN UPPER 
LEVEL LOW PINCHED OFF FROM THE UPPER TROUGH OVERNIGHT AND IS 
CURRENTLY LOCATED 340 MILES SOUTHEAST OF THE BIG ISLAND NEAR 15N 
152W. THIS FEATURE IS MOVING TO THE EAST AT 20 TO 25 MPH. WHILE 
ISOLATED THUNDERSTORM PERSIST JUST EAST OF THE UPPER TROUGH AXIS... 
THE GREATEST INSTABILITY IS CONCENTRATED NORTH AND EAST OF THE UPPER 
LOW. SCATTERED THUNDERSTORMS RISE TO 40000 FT 125 TO 325 MILES 
SOUTHEAST OF THE BIG ISLAND IN AN AREA BOUNDED BY 21N 152W...14N 
148W...16N 156W...AND 21N 152W. THIS AREA OF THUNDERSTORMS...AND A 
POSSIBLE SURFACE TROUGH...HAD BEEN TRAVELLING TO THE WEST DURING THE 
EVENING...BUT THE AREA HAS STALLED AND EXPANDED EASTWARD OVERNIGHT 
UNDER THE INFLUENCE OF THE UPPER LOW.

WITH THE UPPER TROUGH AND UPPER LOW MOVING AWAY FROM THE MAIN 
HAWAIIAN ISLANDS...A NEARBY SURFACE TROUGH HAS WEAKENED AND IS NO 
LONGER DISCERNIBLE. LINGERING INSTABILITY IS ALLOWING A LINE OF 
TOWERING CUMULUS CLOUDS 75 MILES NORTH OF MOLOKAI AND AN AREA OF 
CLOUDS MOVING ONTO THE HAMAKUA COAST OF THE BIG ISLAND TO RISE 
BETWEEN 17000 TO 20000 FT. ALSO...TOWERING CUMULUS IN THE BIG 
ISLAND PLUME 75 MILES WEST OF KAILUA KONA REACH 28000 FT. EASTERLY 
LOW CLOUD MOTIONS HAVE INCREASED TO NEARLY 20 MPH OVER ADJACENT 
WATERS...HINTING AT A RESURGENCE OF THE TRADE WINDS. THIS FLOW IS 
PRODUCING BROKEN LOW CLOUDS OVER SOME WINDWARD AREAS...WITH THE 
GREATEST AMOUNT OF CLOUD COVER FOUND ACROSS WINDWARD BIG ISLAND.

ELSEWHERE...A FRONT 700 MILES NORTHWEST OF KAUAI IS MOVING TO THE 
EAST AT 15 MPH ALONG 30N AND IS STALLING SOUTH OF MIDWAY ATOLL. THE 
FRONT IS COMPRISED OF BROKEN LAYERED CLOUDS WITHIN 150 MILES OF A 
LINE THROUGH 30N 167W AND 24N 180. 

$$
WROE

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.