Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2008 18:36:51 -0600

977 
ATHW40 PHFO 020036
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
0030 UTC SAT FEB 2 2008

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 0000 UTC FEBRUARY 2 2008

WATER VAPOR IMAGERY CONTINUES TO SHOW A NEARLY STATIONARY JET STREAM 
RUNNING SW TO NE ALONG A LINE FROM 13N170W TO OAHU TO 24N150W. THE 
JET SEPARATES BROKEN HIGH LEVEL CIRRUS CLOUDS TO THE SOUTH FROM 
CLEAR SKIES ALOFT TO THE NORTH. SATELLITE DERIVED CLOUD MOVEMENT 
SHOWS MAXIMUM WIND SPEEDS AT 120 MPH FROM SW TO THE NE. THE CIRRUS 
SHIELD EXTENDS SOUTH OF THE JET TO 05N LATITUDE WHERE THE ITCZ IS 
LOCATED. THE JET LAYS SOUTH OF AN ENE TO WSW ORIENTED UPPER TROUGH 
WHICH RUNS FROM AN UPPER LOW NEAR 26N145W TO 24N160W AND 20N170W. 
THE TROUGH IS NEARLY STATIONARY WHILE THE LOW IS LIFTING OUT TO THE 
NE AT 15 MPH WITHIN THE TROUGH.

THERE ARE ENOUGH THIN SPOTS AND HOLES IN THE CIRRUS TO SEE ON 
VISIBLE IMAGERY MUCH OF THE LOW CLOUDS BELOW. THERE ARE STILL THREE 
NE TO SW BANDS WITH BROKEN COVERAGE. GOING FROM WEST TO EAST...THE 
FIRST BAND IS JUST WEST OF KAUAI...THE SECOND IS UPWIND OR NE OF 
MOLOKAI...AND THE THIRD IS NE OF THE BIG ISLAND. AREAS OF SCATTERED 
CLOUDS SEPARATE THE THREE BANDS. THE FIRST TWO BANDS HAVE CLOUD TOPS 
NEAR 9000 FEET WHILE THE THIRD HAS TOPS TO 15000 FEET. ALL OF THE 
CLOUDS ARE MOVING TO THE SW AT A SWIFT 30 TO 35 MPH WHILE THE BANDS 
ARE TRANSLATING TO THE W AT 25 MPH.

AS FOR SKIES OVER THE ISLANDS...LOW CLOUDS ARE BROKEN LOCALLY 
OVERCAST OVER HIGHER ELEVATIONS AND ALONG WINDWARD COASTAL SECTIONS. 
LOW CLOUDS OVER LEEWARD SECTIONS ARE SCATTERED TO BROKEN IN COVERAGE.

$$

CRAIG

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.