Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2008 12:23:12 -0600

268 
ATHW40 PHFO 051823
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
1830 UTC TUE FEB 05 2008

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 1800 UTC FEBRUARY 05 2008

AN UPPER LEVEL TROUGH WEST OF KAUAI IS SENDING A SHIELD OF BROKEN 
HIGH CLOUDS OVER THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS THIS MORNING. THE NEARLY 
STATIONARY UPPER TROUGH RUNS ALONG 30N 158W...TO 22N 164W...TO A 
DEVELOPING UPPER LOW 525 MILES SOUTHWEST OF KAUAI NEAR 17N 167W... 
TO 10N 169W. THE DEVELOPING UPPER LOW IS TRIGGERING ISOLATED 
THUNDERSTORMS WITH TOPS TO 40 KFT WITHIN 250 MILES OF THE CENTER ON 
ITS EASTERN SEMICIRCLE. THE UPPER LOW IS ALSO GENERATING THE SWATH 
OF HIGH CLOUDS ACROSS THE REGION. BROKEN TO OVERCAST CIRRUS COVER 
MOST OF THE AREA SOUTH OF 23N BETWEEN 165W AND 149W.

DETAILS OF THE LOW CLOUD COVER OVER THE STATE ARE OBSCURED BY THE 
CIRRUS...BUT THINNING HIGH CLOUDS OVER AND NORTH OF KAUAI AND OAHU 
REVEAL A MODERATE TRADE WIND FLOW WITH INDIVIDUAL LOW CLOUDS MOVING 
FROM THE EAST NORTHEAST AT 25 TO 30 MPH. SATELLITE MICROWAVE 
IMAGERY...WHICH CAN SENSE THROUGH THE HIGH CLOUDS...DETECTS A BAND 
OF PRECIPITABLE WATER UP TO 1.8 INCHES JUST EAST OF THE BIG ISLAND 
AND MAUI. THESE VALUES RAPIDLY TAPER OFF TO 1.25 INCHES JUST EAST OF 
KAUAI...SUGGESTING A GREATER AMOUNT OF CLOUDS AND SHOWERS 
APPROACHING THE EASTERN END OF THE ISLAND CHAIN THIS MORNING. 

ELSEWHERE...A COLD FRONT IS SKIRTING JUST NORTHWEST OF 30N 180. LOW 
CLOUD MOTIONS REVEAL A LOW LEVEL RIDGE OVER MIDWAY ATOLL.

$$
WROE

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.