Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2008 06:00:09 -0600

688 
ATHW40 PHFO 091200
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
1200 UTC WED JAN 09 2008

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 1130 UTC JANUARY 09 2008

HIGH CLOUDS HAVE RECENTLY FORMED OVER AND SOUTH OF THE ISLANDS.  
THUS...CEILINGS ARE OCCURRING FROM TIME TO TIME OVER OAHU AND MAUI 
COUNTY...AND THEIR ADJACENT WATERS...THIS EARLY MORNING.

AT THE LOWER LEVELS...SKIES ARE PREDOMINANTLY CLEAR AS OF BULLETIN 
TIME.   HOWEVER...WIND CONVERGENCE SOUTHEAST OF A FRONT HAS 
GENERATED LOW CEILINGS IN NORTHERN COASTAL AND UPSLOPE PARTS OF 
MAUI...INCLUDING THE CENTRAL VALLEY.  LOW CLOUD MOTION IS FROM THE 
EAST NEAR 15 MPH JUST EAST OF THE BIG ISLAND...AND...SOUTH OF THE 
ISLANDS...REMAINS OUT OF THE EAST.  NORTH OF THE STATE...THE LOW 
LEVEL FLOW VEERS ABRUPTLY TOWARD THE SOUTH AND SOUTH/SOUTHWEST AT 
LESS THAN 10 MPH MOVING UP THE CHAIN TO MAUI COUNTY.  NEAR OAHU AND 
KAUAI...WINDS ARE LIGHT AND VARIABLE.

WIND CONVERGENCE AS DISCUSSED ABOVE IS CAUSING SCATTERED TO BROKEN 
LOW CLOUDINESS NORTH OF MAUI COUNTY...AND IMMEDIATELY EAST AND 
SOUTHEAST OF LANAI.  DISCOUNTING ANY HIGH CLOUDS...CONDITIONS ARE 
OTHERWISE CLEAR TO PARTLY CLOUDY IN THE ADJACENT COASTAL WATERS.

A ROPE CLOUD...WHICH REPRESENTS THE LEAD EDGE OF A COLD FRONT...IS 
200 MILES NORTHWEST OF KAUAI AS OF THIS WRITING.  SOUTH OF 25N... 
THIS FEATURE HAS BECOME MORE TENUOUS WITH TIME...AND IS DISSIPATING 
SOUTH OF 23N.  ALONG 30N...THE FRONT HAS BEEN MOVING TOWARD THE EAST 
AT 20 TO 25 MPH OVER THE PAST SEVEN HOURS.  SOUTH OF 25N...THE 
BOUNDARY HAS BEEN HEADING TOWARD THE SOUTHEAST NEAR 10 MPH.  THE 
MAIN BODY OF THE SYSTEM...MADE UP OF BROKEN TO OVERCAST MULTILAYERED 
CLOUDS...IS LOCATED AT SOME DISTANCE WEST AND NORTHWEST OF THE ROPE 
CLOUD.  MOST OF THIS CLOUDINESS IS FOUND WITHIN 90 MILES EITHER SIDE 
OF A LINE FROM 30N161W TO 24.5N169W TO 20.5N178W.

THE AREAL COVERAGE AND INTENSITY OF CONVECTION ALONG THE 
INTERTROPICAL CONVERGENCE ZONE SOUTH OF HAWAII HAS DECREASED SINCE 
LAST EVENING.  MOST OF THE SHOWERS AND ISOLATED THUNDERSTORMS THAT 
REMAIN ARE CURRENTLY BOUNDED BY 13.5N167.5W 10N156W 08N157.5W 
10N163.5W AND 09N169W.

$$

KINEL

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.