Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2008 06:09:29 -0600

976 
ATHW40 PHFO 131209
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
1230 UTC SUN JAN 13 2008

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 1200 UTC JANUARY 13 2008

A FRAYING CLOUD BAND ASSOCIATED WITH A FRONT EXTENDED ACROSS 
HAWAIIAN WATERS WITHIN 60 MILES OF THE CURVE FROM 20N 180 TO 19N 
170W TO 22N 159W TO 25N 154W AND FURTHER SOUTHWEST...AND WITHIN 150 
MILES OF THE CURVE FROM 25N 154W TO 30N 150W AND FURTHER NORTH. THIS 
FEATURE CONSISTED MAINLY OF SEVERAL LOOSE STRANDS OF CUMULUS AND 
STRATOCUMULUS CLOUDS ELONGATED ALONG THE AXIS OF THE BAND...THOUGH 
NORTHEAST OF ABOUT 24N 155W DENSE LAYERED CLOUDS PREDOMINATED. THE 
PORTION OF THE BAND CLOSEST TO OAHU MOVED SOUTHEAST AT AROUND 15 
MILES AN HOUR. OPEN-CELL CUMULI PREVAILED TO THE NORTHWEST OF THE 
CLOUD BAND...THOUGH A CLEAR AREA OCCURRED NORTH OF THE CURVE FROM 
30N 178W TO 28N 177W TO 27N 172W TO 25N 169W TO 30N 170W.

TO THE SOUTH...THERE WAS LITTLE OR NO THUNDERSTORM ACTIVITY IN THE 
ITCZ. HOWEVER...DENSE LAYERED MIDDLE TO HIGH DEBRIS CLOUDS FROM 
EARLIER CONVECTION PARTLY TO MOSTLY OBSCURED LOWER FEATURES WITHIN 
225 MILES OF THE CURVE FROM 09N 180 TO 10N 162W AND FURTHER 
SOUTHWEST.

OTHERWISE...MARINE CUMULI AND STRATOCUMULI PREVAILED ACROSS HAWAIIAN 
WATERS. THESE CLOUDS WERE ORGANIZED MOSTLY AS LOOSE CLUMPS OR BANDS 
UP TO ABOUT 700 MILES LONG AND 300 MILES WIDE...THOUGH INDIVIDUAL 
SMALL CUMULI APPEARED AS WELL...AND A STRIP OF NEARLY SOLID OVERCAST 
EDGED JUST WEST OF 140W NORTH OF ABOUT 21N. THESE CLOUDS GENERALLY 
ROSE TO HEIGHTS OF 6000 TO 8000 FEET...THOUGH TALLER CUMULI 
APPROACHED 12000 FEET. SOUTH OF 22N...THESE CLOUDS MOVED MOSTLY 
TOWARD THE WEST SOUTHWEST AT 15 TO 25 MILES AN HOUR. ELSEWHERE... 
THEY MOVED TOWARD THE NORTHWEST TO NORTH AT 10 TO 15 MILES AN HOUR.

ACROSS THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS...CLOUD COVER WAS DIVIDED ABOUT 
EVENLY BETWEEN LOOSE CLUMPS OF MARINE STRATOCUMULI OVER MAUI COUNTY 
AND THE BIG ISLAND...AND THE PARALLEL STRANDS OF CUMULI BELONGING 
TO THE FRONTAL CLOUD BAND PASSING OVER KAUAI AND APPROACHING OAHU. 
DAYTIME CUMULUS BUILDUPS AND THEIR ASSOCIATED LAYERED DEBRIS CLOUDS
FROM SATURDAY AFTERNOON HAD MOSTLY DISSIPATED. AREAS WITH THE 
GREATEST CLOUD COVER INCLUDED MAINLY NORTH THROUGH EAST LOWER SLOPES 
AND COAST OF THE BIG ISLAND. ALL THESE CLOUDS GENERALLY ROSE TO 
HEIGHTS OF 6000 TO 8000 FEET. RADAR DATA FROM NEAR THE ISLANDS 
SHOWED ISOLATED SHOWERS OVER AND JUST OFFSHORE FROM PUNA DISTRICT ON 
THE BIG ISLAND...AND OVER THE KAUAI CHANNEL...BUT LITTLE 
PRECIPITATION OTHERWISE.

RYSHKO

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.