Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2008 18:41:10 -0600

586 
ATHW40 PHFO 100041
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
0030 UTC THU JAN 10 2008

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 0000 UTC JANUARY 10 2008

THE LEADING EDGE OF A NORTHEAST THROUGH SOUTHWEST ORIENTED FRONTAL 
BAND LIES ABOUT 300 MILES TO THE WEST NORTHWEST OF KAUAI. THE FRONT 
HAS BEEN NEARLY STATIONARY OVER THE PAST SEVERAL HOURS. THE FRONTAL 
BAND IS ABOUT 120 MILES WIDE AND CONSISTS OF LAYERED CLOUDS WITH 
POCKETS OF DEEP CONVECTION ALONG THE FRONT NORTH OF 24N. 

OUT AHEAD OF THE FRONT LIES A NORTHEAST THROUGH SOUTHWEST ORIENTED 
PRE FRONTAL BAND WHICH LIES ABOUT 130 MILES TO THE NORTHWEST OF 
KAUAI. THIS BAND HAS ALSO BEEN NEARLY STATIONARY OVER THE PAST 
SEVERAL HOURS. THIS BAND IS ABOUT 40 MILES WIDE AND CONSISTS OF 
MOSTLY STRATOCUMULUS CLOUDS. THIS BAND HAS BEEN ERODING FROM THE 
SOUTH WITH MOST OF THE CLOUDS ALONG THIS BAND AREA WELL NORTH OF THE 
STATE.

THERE ARE PATCHES OF LOW CLOUDS AROUND THE ISLANDS. THE CLOUD TO THE 
NORTH OF THE STATE ARE TAKING A NORTHWARD TRAJECTORY WHILE THE 
CLOUDS SOUTH OF THE STATE ARE GENERALLY MOVING TOWARD THE WEST. 

CLOUD COVERAGE OVER THE ISLANDS HAS INCREASED CONSIDERABLY SINCE 
THIS MORNING MAINLY DUE TO HEATING OF THE ISLANDS THEMSELVES. OVER 
ON KAUAI LOW CLOUDS ARE COVERING MOST INTERIOR SECTIONS. LOW CLOUDS 
ARE COVERING THE SLOPES AND SUMMITS OF THE KOOLAU AND WAIANAE 
MOUNTAIN RANGES ON OAHU WITH A FEW PATCHES OVER SOME LEEWARD 
LOCATIONS. MOST INTERIOR SECTIONS OF MOLOKAI AND LANAI ARE CLOUD 
COVERED. OVER ON MAUI LOW CLOUDS ARE COVERING PORTIONS OF THE 
HALEAKALA SLOPES AS WELL AS OVER THE SLOPES AND SUMMITS OF THE WEST 
MAUI MOUNTAINS. OVER ON THE BIG ISLAND LOW CLOUDS ARE SEEN OVER MOST 
OF THE WINDWARD SLOPES FROM NORTH KOHALA SOUTHWARD THROUGH THE PUNA 
DISTRICT. LOW CLOUDS HAVE ALSO BUILT UP OVER THE KOAN AND KAU SLOPES 
WITH A FEW PATCHES SEEN OVER THE LEEWARD KOHALA SLOPES.

$$

BURKE

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.