Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 Jan 2008 23:05:12 -0600

511 
ATHW40 PHFO 020505
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
0500 UTC WED JAN 2 2008

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 0430 UTC JANUARY 2 2008

IN THE UPPER ATMOSPHERE...AN EAST/NORTHEAST-TO-WEST/SOUTHWEST 
ORIENTED TROUGH HAS BEEN MOVING SLOWLY TOWARD THE SOUTH.  IT IS 
CURRENTLY ALONG A LINE FROM 26N140W TO 23N150W TO JUST OVER THE 
KAUAI CHANNEL TO 18N170W.  A JET STREAM IS RIDING THE SOUTHERN FLANK 
OF THE TROUGH AND APPEARS TO BE STREAKING FROM 19N159W TO JUST OVER 
MAUI COUNTY TO 22N150W TO 24N140W.  THE JET IS CARRYING BROKEN TO 
OVERCAST HIGH CLOUDS OVER MAUI COUNTY...THE BIG ISLAND AND THEIR 
ADJACENT COASTAL WATERS.  SOUTH AND SOUTHEAST OF THE TROUGH...ALONG 
WITH BROKEN TO OVERCAST HIGH CLOUDS...ARE SHOWERS AND ISOLATED 
THUNDERSTORMS.  MOST OF THE MORE INTENSE ACTIVITY IS LOCATED WITHIN 
75 MILES EITHER SIDE OF A LINE FROM 12.5N164.5W TO 15.5N156.5W TO 
10N151W.

A BAND OF SCATTERED TO BROKEN STABLE AND SHOWERY LOW CLOUDS EXTENDS 
FAR TO THE EAST/NORTHEAST AND WEST/SOUTHWEST FROM KAUAI.  SKIES ARE 
THUS BROKEN TO OVERCAST OVER MOST OF THE GARDEN ISLE.  SOME OF THE 
CLOUDS PERIPHERALLY ASSOCIATED WITH THE BAND ARE CAUSING LOW 
CEILINGS OVER MUCH OF OAHU AS WELL.  FROM THE LATEST SURFACE 
OBSERVATIONS...SKIES ARE MAINLY SCATTERED AT THE LOWER LEVELS IN 
MAUI COUNTY...THOUGH LOW CEILINGS ARE OCCURRING FROM TIME TO TIME IN 
WINDWARD AREAS.  ON THE BIG ISLAND...BROKEN TO OVERCAST LOW CLOUDS 
ARE THE STORY IN WINDWARD LOCALES...AND OCCASIONALLY IN COASTAL AND 
UPSLOPE AREAS ON THE LEE SIDE.  LOW CLOUD MOTION IS FROM THE 
EAST/NORTHEAST STATEWIDE...NEAR 20 MPH JUST EAST OF THE BIG ISLAND 
AND INCREASING TO 35 MPH MOVING UP THE CHAIN TO KAUAI.

AS WAS MENTIONED ABOVE...HIGH CLOUDS ARE CAUSING CEILINGS OVER THE 
COASTAL WATERS SURROUNDING THE BIG ISLAND AND MAUI COUNTY.  AND THE 
CLOUD BAND DISCUSSED IN THE SECOND PARAGRAPH IS GENERATING LOW 
CEILINGS EAST/NORTHEAST OF KAUAI...OCCASIONALLY TO ITS SOUTHEAST... 
IN THE KAUAI CHANNEL...AND NORTH OF OAHU.

$$

KINEL

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.