Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 09 Feb 2008 18:41:23 -0600

659 
ATHW40 PHFO 100041
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
0030 UTC SUN FEB 10 2008

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 0000 UTC FEBRUARY 10 2008

THE WEATHER PATTERN ALOFT HAS SIMPLIFIED...SLIGHTLY. AN UPPER TROUGH 
IS STILL RUNNING NE TO SW ACROSS THE BIG ISLAND...AND AN UPPER RIDGE
ALSO ORIENTED NE TO SW IS LOCATED ABOUT 650 MILES NW OF KAUAI. THE 
RIDGE EXTENDS FROM 31N160W TO 26N170W AND 18N180...AND IS MOVING TO 
THE EAST. THE THREE LOWS WITHIN THE TROUGH LAST NIGHT AND THIS 
MORNING ARE CONSOLIDATING INTO ONE LOW WITH A COMMON CENTER ABOUT 
360 MILES SOUTHWEST OF THE BIG ISLAND/S SOUTH POINT NEAR 16N160W. 
THE LOW IS DRIFTING TO THE SOUTH.

EAST OF THE UPPER TROUGH AND LOW ARE BROKEN TO OVERCAST CLOUDS WITH 
EMBEDDED THUNDERSTORMS...CBS...UP TO 41000 FEET. THE NORTHERN EDGE 
OF THE CLOUD SHIELD LIES ALONG A LINE THROUGH 24N140W...21N150W 
...JUST SOUTH OF THE BIG ISLAND...09N160W. THE CBS ARE MOST NUMEROUS 
OVER WATER WITHIN A FEW HUNDRED MILES EAST OF THE LOW AND SOUTHEAST 
OF THE BIG ISLAND.

TO THE WEST OF THE UPPER TROUGH AND LOW...LOW CLOUDS ARE SCATTERED 
OVER WATER AND BROKEN TO OVERCAST OVER LAND. THE CLOUDS OVER THE 
SMALLER ISLANDS ARE CONCENTRATED OVER WINDWARD AND MAUKA SECTIONS 
WHILE LEEWARD SECTIONS HAVE FEWER CLOUDS. THE BIG ISLAND...NOW THAT 
THE HIGH CLOUDS HAVE SHIFTED TO THE SOUTH AND EAST...HAS OVERCAST 
LOW CLOUDS...EXCEPT FOR A SECTION OF THE NORTHEAST COAST AROUND 
HONOKAA AND UP THE VOLCANO SLOPES TO THE SNOW CAPPED MAUNA KEA AND 
MAUNA LOA. CLOUD TOPS ARE FROM 8000 TO 9000 FEET OVER AND NEAR THE 
SMALLER ISLANDS AND NEAR 12000 FEET OVER AND NEAR THE BIG ISLAND.
THE CLOUDS CONTINUE TO MOVE TO THE WEST AT 20 TO 25 MPH.

$$
CRAIG

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.