Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2008 23:40:09 -0600

095 
ATHW40 PHFO 240540
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
0530 UTC THU JAN 24 2008

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 0500 UTC JANUARY 24 2008

THE BAND OF BROKEN SHOWERY LOW CLOUDS CONTINUES TO AFFECT ALL 
ISLANDS EARLY THIS EVENING BUT THE BACK EDGE OF THE BAND HAS REACHED 
THE EASTERN MOST POINT OF THE BIG ISLAND AND IS LESS THAN 30 MILES 
EAST OF MAUI AND THE HAMAKUA COAST OF THE BIG ISLAND.  THE BACK 
EDGE IS MOVING EAST 15-20 MPH NEAR THE SOUTHERN ISLANDS.  BROKEN TO 
SCATTERED LOW CLOUDS AND SHOWERS CONTINUE TO MOVE IN BEHIND THE 
BAND IN THE NORTHERN ISLANDS AND MAKES IT DIFFICULT TO ESTIMATE THE 
EASTWARD MOVEMENT OF THE ORIGINAL FEATURE.  CURRENTLY THE BACK EDGE 
IS STILL 90-110 MILES EAST OF KAUAI AND OAHU.  BROKEN LOW CLOUDS AND 
ISOLATED TO SCATTERED SHOWERS AFFECT MAINLY THE WINDWARD SIDES OF 
THE ISLANDS BUT SCATTERED TO BROKEN LOW CLOUDS AND ISOLATED SHOWERS 
ARE MAKING IT INTO CENTRAL OAHU.  BROKEN CLOUDS ARE ALSO NOTED OVER 
THE UPSLOPE SECTIONS OF KONA AND AFTER SPREADING DOWNSLOPE DURING 
THE LATE AFTERNOON NOW AFFECT THE COASTAL AND NEAR SHORE WATERS OF 
THE KONA DISTRICT.  THE LOW CLOUDS ARE SCATTERED TO BROKEN IN THE 
ALENUIHAHA AND KAIWI CHANNELS AND MOSTLY BROKEN IN THE KAUAI CHANNEL 
AND THE CHANNELS SURROUNDING LANAI AS WELL AS THE ISLAND OF LANAI 
ITSELF.

BEHIND THE BAND AFFECTING THE ISLANDS IS AN AREA OF MAINLY SCATTERED 
LOW CLOUDS FOR NEARLY 350 MILES UPSTREAM TO THE EAST WHERE THERE IS 
A LARGE AREA OF SCATTERED TO BROKEN LOW CLOUDS.  

A COLD FRONT IS ABOUT 1100 MILES WEST NORTHWEST OF KAUAI AND 
APPEARS BE MOVING EAST ABOUT 15 MPH...SOMEWHAT SLOWER THAN NOTED 
FIVE HOURS AGO AND CONSISTENT WITH THE COMPUTER MODELS IDEA OF 
STALLING THE FRONT AROUND 170W IN THE NEXT 24 HOURS OR SO.  ALONG 
AND SOUTH OF 30N...BROKEN TO OVERCAST MULTILAYERED CLOUDS WITH 
EMBEDDED SHOWERS AND ISOLATED THUNDERSTORMS ARE BOUNDED BY 30N 
178W...30N 168W...23N 170W...20N 176E...26N 179W...30N 178W. 
OBSERVATIONS FROM MIDWAY ATOLL SHOW LOW CEILINGS AND LIGHT DRIZZLE 
AND A LIGHT NORTH WIND...SUGGESTING THAT THE FRONT HAS MOVED THROUGH 
MIDWAY.

$$

CP

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.