Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 23:41:03 -0600

349 
ATHW40 PHFO 310540
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
0530 UTC THU JAN 31 2008

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 0500 UTC JANUARY 31 2008

WATER VAPOR LOOP SHOWS AN UPPER LOW PERSISTS ACROSS THE MAIN 
HAWAIIAN ISLANDS THIS EVENING. BROKEN TO OVERCAST LAYERED CLOUDS 
EXTEND EASTWARD IN A WEDGE-SHAPED AREA FROM THE ISLANDS...NORTH OF A 
LINE FROM THE BIG ISLAND THROUGH 08N140W AND SOUTH OF A LINE FROM 
THE BIG ISLAND THROUGH 30N140W. ISOLATED CUMULONIMBUS...CB...PERSIST 
NEAR THE CENTER OF THE UPPER LOW...SPECIFICALLY ACROSS WATERS JUST 
UPWIND FROM MAUI AND THE BIG ISLAND. THESE CB TEND TO FORM 30 TO 100 
MILES UPWIND FROM THE ISLANDS...DRIFT TOWARDS THE SOUTHWEST...THEN 
DISSIPATE JUST BEFORE REACHING THE ISLANDS. OTHER CB HAVE FORMED 
WHERE THE BROKEN TO OVERCAST LAYERED CLOUD AREA MERGES WITH THE 
INTERTROPICAL CONVERGENCE ZONE...NEAR 10N140W. 

TO THE NORTHWEST...OVERCAST LAYERED CLOUDS NORTH AND WEST OF A LINE 
FROM 45N160W TO 30N180 MARK A COLD FRONT MOVING ACROSS THE CENTRAL 
NORTH PACIFIC TOWARDS THE EAST AT ABOUT 30 MPH. ISOLATED CB LIE 
ALONG THE LEADING EDGE OF THIS CLOUD AREA...ALONG A 60 MILE WIDE 
LINE FROM 35N175W TO 30N180. 

LOW CLOUDS ARE MOVING ACROSS LOCAL HAWAIIAN WATERS TOWARDS THE WEST 
SOUTHWEST AT A SOLID 25 MPH. BROKEN TO OVERCAST LAYERED CLOUDS COVER 
THE BIG ISLAND AND THE EASTERN HALF OF MAUI...WITH CB NOTED 30 
MILES NORTHEAST OF THE BIG ISLAND...NEAR THE WINDWARD APPROACHES TO 
THE ALENUIHAHA CHANNEL. KAUAI AND OAHU HAVE SCATTERED TO BROKEN LOW 
CLOUDS ALONG WINDWARD SLOPES AND SUMMITS. MOLOKAI CLOUD COVER 
VARIES FROM CLEAR TO OVERCAST WITH LOW CLOUDS AT IRREGULAR 
INTERVALS. LANAI IS MOSTLY CLEAR AT THIS HOUR. 

$$

TANABE

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.