Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2008 23:40:08 -0600

655 
ATHW40 PHFO 120540
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
0530 UTC TUE FEB 12 2008

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 0500 UTC FEBRUARY 12 2008

SATELLITE IMAGERY SHOWS SCATTERED TO BROKEN LOW CLOUDS WITH A 
SHOWERY APPEARANCE EAST THROUGH SOUTH OF THE BIG ISLAND/S KAU 
SHORELINE. THESE CLOUDS ARE PART OF A NARROW BAND...60 MILES 
WIDE...EXTENDING OUT TO 700 MILES EAST OF THE KAU COAST AND THEN TO 
550 SOUTHWEST OF SOUTH POINT. MOST OF THESE CLOUDS...ALTHOUGH 
APPEARED HEADED FOR THE KAU COAST...EITHER VEER SOUTHWEST OR 
DISSIPATE OVER THE KAU COASTAL WATERS. OTHERWISE...LOW CLOUD 
COVERAGE IS SPARSE OVER THE REMAINING COASTAL AND OFFSHORE WATERS 
SURROUNDING THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS. EVEN ON LAND...LOW CLOUD 
COVERAGE IS SCATTERED TO LOCALLY BROKEN OVER THE WINDWARD AND 
MOUNTAIN AREAS OF ALL THE ISLANDS. THE LEE SIDE IS MOSTLY CLEAR OVER 
THE SMALLER ISLANDS WHILE THE KONA DISTRICT OF THE BIG ISLAND IS 
STILL GENERALLY BROKEN ESPECIALLY BETWEEN THE AIRPORT AND MILOLII. 
THESE CLOUDS ARE THE RESULT OF LIGHT WIND...DAYTIME HEATING AND 
AMPLE LOW LEVEL MOISTURE. THEY WILL BE DISSIPATING IN THE FEW HOURS. 
LOW CLOUD MOTION IS PREDOMINANT EAST TO WEST AT 20 TO 25 MILES AN 
HOUR WITH A SLIGHT SOUTH OF EAST COMPONENT OVER THE COASTAL WATERS 
NORTH OF OAHU AND KAUAI. 

WATER VAPOR IMAGERY SHOWS THE UPPER LEVEL TROUGH 500 MILES SOUTHEAST 
OF THE BIG ISLAND. THERE ARE SCATTERED TOWERING CUMULUS CLOUDS OR 
TCU/S IN THE AREA BETWEEN 20N AND 10N FROM 152W TO 142W. A COUPLE 
OF CELLS WITH DEEPER CONVECTION LIES FURTHER EAST JUST BEYOND 140W. 
SATELLITE IMAGERY SHOWS A FRONTAL BAND WITH THE LEADING EDGE JUST 
REACHING MIDWAY ATOLL/ISLAND WHICH IS LOCATED AT 28N 177W. THE BAND 
IS ROUGHLY 200 MILES ACROSS AND THE NORTHERN EXTENT. THE UPPER LEVEL 
RIDGE IS ACCOMPANIED BY AN AREA OF BROKEN TO OVERCAST HIGH CIRRUS 
CLOUDS NORTHWEST OF KAUAI BETWEEN 170W AND 163W.
SOME OF THESE CLOUDS ARE SPILLING SOUTHWARD ACROSS THE ISLAND SKIES.

$$
LAU

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.