Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2008 06:00:09 -0600

852 
ATHW40 PHFO 021200
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
1200 UTC WED JAN 2 2008

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 1130 UTC JANUARY 2 2008

A SIGNIFICANT PART OF THE UPPER TROUGH THAT HAS BEEN OVER THE 
CENTRAL NORTH PACIFIC IS NOW WELL EAST OF THE ISLANDS AND MOVING 
AWAY.  WHAT REMAINS IN THE REGION IS AN EAST-TO-WEST ORIENTED 
SEGMENT...WHOSE AXIS IS ALONG A LINE FROM JUST OVER MAUI COUNTY TO 
21N160W TO 19N170W TO 19N175W.  THE SYSTEM IS STILL HELPING TO 
IGNITE ISOLATED CONVECTION TO ITS SOUTH AND SOUTHEAST...BUT THE 
AMOUNT AND INTENSITY OF THE ACTIVITY APPEARS TO HAVE DECREASED SINCE 
LAST EVENING.  ALSO...A LARGE AREA OF BROKEN TO OVERCAST CIRRUS 
CLOUDINESS...MOST OF IT BEING DEBRIS FROM EARLIER CONVECTION...HAS 
BECOME A FIXTURE OVER...AND TO THE EAST CLOCKWISE THROUGH SOUTH 
OF...THE ALOHA STATE.

AS ALLUDED TO ABOVE...HIGH CLOUDS ARE PRODUCING CEILINGS OVER THE 
ISLES FROM OAHU TO THE BIG ISLAND AS OF BULLETIN TIME.  AT THE LOWER 
LEVELS...A BAND OF SCATTERED TO BROKEN SHOWERY LOW CLOUDS THAT HAD 
BEEN AFFECTING PRIMARILY KAUAI SEVERAL HOURS AGO HAS NOW MOVED 
FARTHER SOUTH AND EAST...AND IS CURRENTLY IMPACTING OAHU...AND TO A 
LESSER EXTENT...MOLOKAI AND MAUI.  THOUGH MOST CEILINGS AND SHOWERS 
ARE CONCENTRATED IN WINDWARD COASTAL...MAUKA AND WINDWARD UPSLOPE 
SECTIONS ON THESE ISLES...BROKEN CONDITIONS AND PRECIPITATION ARE 
FINDING THEIR WAY INTO LEEWARD AREAS OF OAHU AND MOLOKAI AS WELL.  
IN KAUAI...LANAI AND ON THE BIG ISLAND...LOW CEILINGS ARE MAINLY 
OCCURRING IN WINDWARD AND MAUKA SECTIONS.  LOW CLOUD MOVEMENT IS 
FROM THE NORTHEAST TO EAST/NORTHEAST ACROSS THE ISLANDS...AT 15 TO 
20 MPH NEAR THE BIG ISLAND AND AT 25 TO 30 MPH MOVING UP THE CHAIN 
TO KAUAI.

HIGH CLOUDS ARE GENERATING CEILINGS OVER THE WATERS SURROUNDING MAUI 
COUNTY AND THE BIG ISLAND...INCLUDING THE KAIWI CHANNEL.  SHOWERY 
LOW CLOUDS ARE PRODUCING CEILINGS...AT LEAST FROM TIME TO TIME...IN 
THE KAUAI CHANNEL AND OVER THE ADJACENT WATERS JUST SOUTH OF 
KAUAI...AND IMMEDIATELY EAST/NORTHEAST OF OAHU...MOLOKAI AND MAUI.  
MINIMAL LOW CLOUDINESS IS THE RULE ELSEWHERE IN THE ADJACENT COASTAL 
WATERS.

$$

KINEL

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.