Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2008 23:46:50 -0600

859 
ATHW40 PHFO 150546
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
0530 UTC TUE JAN 15 2008

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 0500 UTC JANUARY 15 2008

WATER VAPOR IMAGERY SHOWS AN UPPER LOW NEAR 31N 147W. THIS LOW HAS 
MOVED WEST AT 10 MPH OVER THE PAST SIX HOURS. ISOLATED CUMULONIMBUS 
CLOUDS WITH TOPS TO 32000 FT ARE LOCATED WITHIN 300 MILES OF THE 
CENTER OF THIS LOW. DEEPER CONVECTION WITH TOPS TO 40000 FT ARE 
LOCATED FARTHER TO THE NORTH. A BAND OF LAYERED CLOUDS EXTENDING 
THROUGH 20000 FT IS LOCATED ON THE EASTERN SIDE OF THE LOW...EAST OF 
143W. THE BACK EDGE OF THESE CLOUDS IS MOVING EAST AT 5 TO 10 MPH. 

BETWEEN 150W AND 143W...LOW CLOUDS ARE COMPOSED PRIMARILY OF 
SCATTERED TO BROKEN OPEN CELL CUMULUS ELEMENTS. THESE CLOUDS ARE 
MOVING SOUTHEAST AT 20 MPH. WEST OF 150W...LOW CLOUDS CONSIST OF 
MORE STABLE CLOSED CELL CUMULUS AND STRATOCUMULUS ELEMENTS...AND ARE 
BROKEN TO OVERCAST IN COVERAGE. BETWEEN 150W AND 160W...CLOUD MOTION 
IS TO THE SOUTHWEST AT 25 MPH. WEST OF 160W...CLOUD MOTION IS TO THE 
WEST AT 20 MPH. 

THE LEADING EDGE OF A 400 MILE WIDE CLOUD BAND ASSOCIATED WITH A 
COLD FRONT EXTENDS FROM 30N 177W TO 28N 180...OR FROM 125 MILES 
NORTH OF MIDWAY ATOLL TO 150 MILES WEST OF MIDWAY. THIS BAND IS 
COMPOSED OF LAYERED CLOUDS EXTENDING THROUGH 25000 FT...AND ISOLATED 
EMBEDDED CUMULONIMBUS CLOUDS WITH TOPS TO 38000 FT. CLOUD MOTION IS 
TO THE EAST SOUTHEAST AT 25 MPH. SCATTERED TO BROKEN CIRRUS CLOUDS 
EXTEND 300 MILES SOUTHEAST OF THE MAIN FRONTAL BAND. 

ACROSS THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS...BROKEN TO OVERCAST LOW CLOUDS 
COVER ALL OF KAUAI...OAHU...AND MOLOKAI...AND COVER WINDWARD 
PORTIONS OF LANAI AND MAUI. ON THE BIG ISLAND...SCATTERED TO BROKEN 
LOW CLOUDS COVER WINDWARD SLOPES FROM UPOLU TO MOUNTAIN VIEW... 
GENERALLY BELOW 3000 FT. BROKEN TO OVERCAST LOW CLOUDS COVER THE 
KONA SLOPES BELOW 6000...AND EXTEND IN NARROW BANDS 20 MILES 
OFFSHORE TO THE WEST SOUTHWEST FROM KEAHOLE AND HONAUNAU. 

A 300 MILE WIDE AREA OF BROKEN TO OVERCAST CIRRUS AND CIRROSTRATUS 
EXTENDS FROM 10N 164W TO 18N 158W. THE BACK EDGE OF THIS CLOUD FIELD 
IS MOVING EASTWARD AT 15 MPH. ADDITIONAL AREAS OF THINNER SCATTERED 
TO BROKEN CIRRUS ELEMENTS EXTEND EASTWARD THROUGH 140W. THESE CLOUDS 
ARE MOVING TO THE EAST NORTHEAST AT 50 MPH.

$$

BRAVENDER

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.