Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2008 06:22:58 -0600

906 
ATHW40 PHFO 271222
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
1230 UTC SUN JAN 27 2008

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 1200 UTC JANUARY 27 2008

A MID/UPPER LEVEL LOW PRESSURE CENTER NEAR 18N 169W...OR ABOUT 850 
MILES WEST OF KONA...WAS DRIFTING SLOWLY SOUTHWARD.  A WEAK UPPER 
TROUGH EXTENDING FROM THE LOW NORTH THROUGH 26N 171W TO 30N 169W.  
BROKEN LAYERED CLOUDS AND ISOLATED THUNDERSTORMS ASSOCIATED WITH THE 
TROUGH AND LOW BETWEEN 17N AND 30N FROM 165W TO 170W HAD DIMINISHED 
SINCE EARLY LAST EVENING.  

WEAK UPPER LEVEL DIFLUENCE OCCURRING JUST SOUTHWEST OF THE ISLANDS 
CONTINUED TO SUPPORT A HANDFUL OF ISOLATED THUNDERSTORMS IN THE AREA 
ABOUT 160 MILES SOUTHWEST OF THE STATE BETWEEN 19N 157W AND 20N 
161W.  SIDE BY SIDE JET STREAMS...BOTH FLOWING EASTWARD...WERE 
RESPONSIBLE FOR THE TWO ELONGATED AREAS OF BROKEN TO OVERCAST CLOUDS 
AND ISOLATED THUNDERSTORMS SOUTH OF THE STATE.  THESE TWO SWATHS OF 
CLOUDS WERE ABOUT 220 MILES WIDE AND CENTERED BETWEEN 14N 166W AND 
14N 153W...AND BETWEEN 08N 156W AND 09N 144W.
 
A LARGE FIELD OF SCATTERED TO BROKEN LOW CLOUDS EAST OF THE STATE 
HAD JUST REACHED THE WINDWARD SHORES OF THE ISLANDS.  THESE 
CLOUDS JUST UPWIND OF THE STATE WERE MOVING WEST AT 20 TO 25 MILES 
AN HOUR.  AT 2 AM...FEW CLOUDS WERE NOTED IMMEDIATELY DOWNWIND OR 
WEST OF THE ISLANDS.  HOWEVER...A LONG...NARROW PLUME OF MOSTLY 
BROKEN LOW CLOUDS EXTENDED DOWNWIND FROM THE KONA COAST OF THE BIG 
ISLAND.  CLOUD PLUMES ALSO FORMED DOWNWIND OF MAUI...OAHU AND 
KAUAI.  BUT THOSE PLUMES BEGAN ABOUT 50 MILES WEST OF THOSE 
ISLANDS.  

$$

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.