Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2008 06:26:44 -0600

189 
ATHW40 PHFO 151226
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
1230 UTC FRI FEB 15 2008

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 1200 UTC FEBRUARY 15 2008

ONLY A FEW SPARSE PATCHES OF SCATTERED LOW CLOUDS WERE COMMON IN 
THE VICINITY OF THE STATE EARLY THIS FRIDAY MORNING.  FLOWING AROUND 
A WEAK RIDGE OF HIGH PRESSURE JUST NORTH OF KAUAI...THE LOW CLOUDS 
NEAR THE BIG ISLAND WERE MOVING WEST NEAR 17 MILES AN HOUR.  THE LOW 
CLOUDS FROM MAUI TO KAUAI WERE MOVING NORTHWESTWARD AT SIMILAR 
SPEEDS.  BUT A FEW LARGE CLUSTERS OF BROKEN TO OVERCAST LOW CLOUDS 
WERE NOTED WEST OF THE ISLAND CHAIN.

A NARROW LOW CLOUD PLUME STREAMING WEST FROM THE BIG ISLAND WAS 
FANNING OUT 35 MILES FROM THE KONA COASTLINE.  THE PLUME HAD SPREAD 
OUT TO ABOUT 50 MILES IN WIDTH AND WAS CENTERED BETWEEN 20N 157W AND 
19N 159W.  ANOTHER LARGER CLUSTER OF SIMILAR CLOUDINESS WAS 75 MILES 
SOUTHWEST OF KAUAI.  THIS CLUSTER OF LOW CLOUDS WAS ABOUT 85 MILES 
WIDE AND CENTERED BETWEEN 20.5N 160.5W AND 21N 163W.  

A COUPLE OF SMALL CLUSTERS OF LOW CLOUDS WERE JUST BEYOND 45 MILES 
NORTHWEST OF KAUAI.  AT 2 AM...SKIES WERE MOSTLY CLEAR OVER THE 
ISLANDS EXCEPT FOR SOME BROKEN LOW CLOUDS GATHERED ALONG THE EAST 
COAST OF MAUI AND THE SOUTH COAST OF KAUAI. 

A FRONT EXTENDED THROUGH 30N 170W THROUGH 25N 180.  THE FRONT AND 
ASSOCIATED CLOUD BAND WERE MOVING EAST AT JUST UNDER 15 MILES AN 
HOUR.  THE CLOUD BAND WAS ABOUT 180 MILES WIDE SOUTH OF 30N 
LATITUDE.  THE BAND CONSISTED OF BROKEN TO OVERCAST LOW CLOUDS SOUTH 
OF 27N WITH MULTI-LAYERED CLOUDS FURTHER NORTH.

A MASS OF BROKEN TO OVERCAST LAYERED CLOUDS NORTH OF 27N BETWEEN 
157W AND 169W WAS MIGRATING NORTHWARD.  THIS BULK OF CLOUDINESS WAS 
ASSOCIATED WITH A DECAYED FRONTAL BOUNDARY AND DUE TO CONVERGENCE 
OCCURRING AHEAD OF THE NEXT APPROACHING FRONT. 

WATER VAPOR IMAGERY SHOWED AN UPPER LOW NEAR 22N 140W.  THE LOW WAS 
CURRENTLY MOVING SLOWLY EASTWARD.  

$$ 

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.