Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 23:24:14 -0600

311 
ATHW40 PHFO 190524
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
0530 UTC SAT JAN 19 2008

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 0500 UTC JANUARY 19 2008

AN UPPER LEVEL TROUGH TRIGGERED THUNDERSTORMS ALONG SURFACE 
TROUGHING ACROSS THE EASTERN END OF THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS TODAY. 
ALTHOUGH THUNDERSTORMS OVER THE ISLANDS HAVE CEASED...SCATTERED 
THUNDERSTORMS PERSIST 150 MILES SOUTHEAST OF THE BIG ISLAND.

A SURFACE TROUGH RUNS ROUGHLY ALONG 158W BETWEEN 30N AND 21N... 
TERMINATING NEAR OAHU. THE TROUGH IS WEAK AND DIFFICULT TO 
LOCATE...WITH ONLY SMALL AREAS OF BROKEN LOW CLOUDS ALONG THE 
FEATURE AND A SMALL AREAS OF THUNDERSTORMS NEAR 30N 154W AND NEAR 
26N 153W. THUNDERSTORMS NEAR MAUI AND THE BIG ISLAND DISSIPATED 
ABOUT TWO HOURS AGO...LEAVING AREAS OF BROKEN LOW AND MIDDLE CLOUDS 
WHICH HAVE THINNED SUBSTANTIALLY IN THE PAST HOUR. OAHU IS IN A 
RATHER CLEAR...SUBSIDENT AREA WEST OF THE DISSIPATING CONVECTION... 
WHILE BROKEN LOW CLOUDS ARE MOVING OVER WINDWARD KAUAI ON A LIGHT 
EAST NORTHEAST FLOW AT 10 TO 15 MPH. SIMILAR CLOUD MOTIONS WERE 
FOUND NEAR THE BIG ISLAND...BUT JUST NORTH AND WEST OF OAHU...CLOUD 
MOVEMENTS WERE MORE EASTERLY AND STRONGER...IN EXCESS OF 20 MPH... 
PROBABLY DUE TO OUTFLOW FROM THE DISSIPATING CONVECTION.

THE UPPER TROUGH TRIGGERING THE CONVECTION IS MOVING OVER THE MAIN 
HAWAIIAN ISLANDS FROM THE WEST AND IS PINCHING OFF AN UPPER LOW 
ABOUT 150 MILES OF THE BIG ISLAND. THE UPPER TROUGH AXIS IS 
TRAVELLING TO THE EAST AT 15 MPH AND IS CENTERED ALONG 30N 154W... 
20N 156W...AND 17N 156W WHERE THE UPPER LOW IS DEVELOPING. THE UPPER 
LOW HAS CONCENTRATED THE GREATEST INSTABILITY ACROSS ANOTHER 
SURFACE TROUGH SOUTHEAST OF THE BIG ISLAND. THIS FEATURE RUNS ALONG 
19N 152W AND 16N 155W AND IS TRAVELLING TO THE WEST NEAR 15 MPH. 
SCATTERED THUNDERSTORMS RISE TO 38000 FT WITHIN 60 MILES OF THIS 
SURFACE TROUGH.

ELSEWHERE...A FRONT 800 MILES NORTHWEST OF KAUAI IS MOVING TO THE 
EAST NEAR 20 MPH. THE FRONT IS COMPRISED OF BROKEN TO OVERCAST 
LAYERED CLOUDS WITHIN 175 MILES OF A LINE THROUGH 30N 170W AND 26N 
180. 

$$
WROE

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.