Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2008 12:26:08 -0600

316 
ATHW40 PHFO 171826
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
1830 UTC SUN FEB 17 2008

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 1800 UTC FEBRUARY 17 2008

A WEAK COLD FRONT WAS PASSING NORTH OF THE ISLANDS THIS SUNDAY 
MORNING.  THE COLD FRONT EXTENDED FROM 30N 157W TO 27.5N 160W TO 27N 
165W THEN CONTINUED AS A STATIONARY FRONT TO 25N 176W TO 23N 180. 

MOST OF THE CLOUDINESS ASSOCIATED WITH THE FRONTAL BOUNDARY WAS 
ALONG THE STATIONARY PART OF THE FRONT WEST OF 165W.  BROKEN TO 
OVERCAST MULTI-LAYERED CLOUDS...MUCH OF IT THIN CIRRUS...WAS ALONG 
AND MOSTLY NORTH OF THE STATIONARY FRONT.  A NARROW BAND OF BROKEN 
LOW CLOUDS LINED THE COLD FRONT SOUTH OF 30N LATITUDE. 

SOUTH OF THE FRONT...SEVERAL LINES AND BANDS OF LOW CLOUDS 
ASSOCIATED WITH LOW LEVEL CONVERGENCE HOVERED OVER AND NORTH OF THE 
HAWAIIAN ISLANDS.  ONE FAIRLY BROAD...MOSTLY BROKEN...LOW CLOUD 
BAND WAS LYING ACROSS KAUAI.  THE BAND RANGED IN WIDTH FROM 50 TO 
125 MILES WIDE AND STRETCHED ROUGHLY 700 MILES FROM EAST TO WEST. 
SEVERAL MUCH NARROWER...MOSTLY SCATTERED LOW CLOUD BANDS WERE NOTED 
BETWEEN 140W AND 170W SOUTHEAST OF THE FRONT AND NORTH OF 20N 
LATITUDE. 

AT 8 AM...KAUAI WAS MOSTLY OVERCAST DUE TO THE CLOUD BAND OVER THE 
AREA.  CLOUDS FROM THE BAND ALSO AFFECTED THE KAUAI CHANNEL AND 
MOST THE NORTHWEST PARTS OF OAHU.  THE REST OF THE ISLANDS...WERE 
MOSTLY SUNNY EXCEPT FOR A SMATTERING OF SCATTERED TO BROKEN LOW 
CLOUD PATCHES MAINLY ALONG THE SOUTH MAUI COASTS...SOUTHEAST 
OAHU...CENTRAL MOLOKAI AND THE SOUTH COAST OF THE BIG ISLAND. 
LOW CLOUDS NEAR THE BIG ISLAND WERE MOVING NORTHWARD.  FROM KAUAI 
TO MAUI THEY WERE MOVING NORTHEASTWARD.  SPEED OF MOTION WAS 
GENERALLY JUST UNDER 10 MILES AN HOUR. 

AN UPPER LOW ABOUT 900 MILES EAST-SOUTHEAST OF THE BIG ISLAND AND 
UPPER TROUGHING EXTENDING SOUTHWEST FROM THE LOW WERE GENERATING 
SOME ISOLATED THUNDERSTORMS BETWEEN 20N 139W AND 09N 146W.  THE LOW 
AND TROUGH WAS MOVING VERY SLOWLY EASTWARD.  

$$ 

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.