Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2008 00:14:39 -0600

112 
ATHW40 PHFO 170614
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
0530 UTC THU JAN 17 2008

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 0500 UTC JANUARY 17 2008

THE LEADING EDGE OF A FIELD OF HIGH LEVEL CIRRUS CLOUDS HAS REACHED
KAUAI AND CONTINUES TO ADVANCE EASTWARD TOWARD THE REST OF THE MAIN 
HAWAIIAN ISLANDS. THE CIRRUS IS ACTUALLY DEBRIS FROM THUNDERSTORMS 
ACTIVITY LOCATED 600 MILES WEST NORTHWEST OF KAUAI. IT IS BEING 
CARRIED EAST AND SOUTHEASTWARD BY THE SUBTROPICAL JET STREAM. THE 
WIDTH OF THE CIRRUS FIELD EXTENDED FROM 200 MILES SOUTHWEST OF KAUAI 
TO 500 MILES NORTH NORTHEAST OF OAHU. THE CIRRUS WILL BE AFFECTING 
THE VIEW OF THE LOW LEVEL CLOUDS AS IT GRADUALLY SPREAD ACROSS THE 
STATE IN THE COMING HOURS. IN THE CIRRUS FREE AREA...THAT IS EAST OF 
KAUAI...ARE MAINLY PATCHY STABLE STRATOCUMULUS CLOUDS. THEY ARE 
LOCATED ESPECIALLY OVER THE WINDWARD AND MOUNTAIN AREAS OF OAHU AND 
MAUI INCLUDING THEIR ADJACENT WATERS. THERE HAD BEEN A DECREASE WITH 
THE STRATOCU DUE TO DAY TIME HEATING AND MIXING DURING THE DAYLIGHT 
HOURS BUT WITH NIGHTFALL...THEY HAVE STARTED TO INCREASE AGAIN.
LOW CLOUD MOTION IS GENERALLY EAST TO WEST AT ABOUT 10 KT. 

FOR A DIFFERENT REASON...BROKEN TO OVERCAST STRATOCU CLOUDS COVERED 
PARTS OF LEEWARD BIG ISLAND THIS HOUR...FROM HONAUNAU NORTHWARD 
ACROSS THE RESORTS TO BETWEEN THE KOHALA MOUNTAINS AND 18 MILES WEST 
OF UPOLU POINT. THESE LOW CLOUDS FORMED OVER THE KONA SLOPES THIS 
AFTERNOON DUE TO LIGHT WIND AND DAY TIME HEATING. ALSO ON SATELLITE 
IS A OVERCAST AREA OF MIDDLE CLOUDS SITUATED WEST THROUGH SOUTH OF 
LANAI. IT HAS GROWN IN SIZE IN THE PAST 4 HOURS...AND APPEARS TO BE 
SPREADING EASTWARD TOWARD LANAI AND KAHOOLAWE.

$$

LAU

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.