Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2008 23:26:35 -0600

968 
ATHW40 PHFO 080526
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
0530 UTC FRI FEB 08 2008

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 0500 UTC FEBRUARY 08 2008

WATER VAPOR IMAGES SHOWED A TROUGH OF LOW PRESSURE IN THE MIDDLE TO 
UPPER ATMOSPHERE EXTENDING ABOUT 600 MILES BOTH NORTHEAST AND 
SOUTHWEST FROM THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS. THIS FEATURE DRIFTED EAST 
SLOWLY AS A RIDGE OF HIGH PRESSURE DEVELOPED TO THE WEST AND TILTED 
SOUTHEAST GRADUALLY.

TO THE EAST OF THE ISLANDS...A BAND OF DENSE LAYERED CLOUDS MARKED A 
PLUME OF ATMOSPHERIC MOISTURE EXTENDING NORTH FROM THE ITCZ WITHIN 
ABOUT 300 MILES OF THE CURVE FROM 08N 146W TO 16N 150W TO 26N 145W. 
THIN LAYERED HIGH CLOUDS EXTENDED OVER 500 MILES TO THE NORTH 
THROUGH EAST OF THIS FEATURE. SCATTEROMETER DATA SHOWED A TROUGH OF 
LOW PRESSURE NEAR SEA LEVEL EXTENDING UNDER THE LAYERED CLOUDS FROM 
THE ITCZ TO ABOUT 15N.

TO THE NORTHWEST...A BAND OF LAYERED MIDDLE TO LOW CLOUDS EXTENDED 
WITHIN 60 MILES OF THE CURVE FROM 28N 180 TO 27N 173W TO 28N 168W TO 
30N 163W AND FURTHER NORTHWEST AND NORTHEAST. DENSE LAYERED MIDDLE 
TO HIGH CLOUDS PARTLY OBSCURED THE LOWER CLOUD BAND NORTHEAST OF 28N 
168W...AND ALSO OBSCURED THE OCEAN FURTHER TO THE SOUTHEAST...WITHIN 
90 MILES OF THE CURVE FROM 25N 168W TO 28N 161W TO 30N 159W AND 
FURTHER NORTHEAST. THINNER LAYERED HIGH CLOUDS ALSO WERE PRESENT 
WITHIN 75 MILES OF THE CURVE FROM 21N 173W TO 27N 160W TO 30N 158W 
AND FURTHER NORTHEAST. LAYERED LOW CLOUDS PREVAILED TO THE NORTH OF 
THE LOWER CLOUD BAND.

TO THE SOUTH...LIGHT THUNDERSTORM ACTIVITY CONTINUED IN THE ITCZ 
BETWEEN ABOUT 10N AND 07N...MAINLY EAST OF 150W. DENSE LAYERED HIGH 
TO MIDDLE CLOUDS FROM THIS AND EARLIER CONVECTION PARTLY TO MOSTLY 
OBSCURED LOWER FEATURES WITHIN 120 MILES OF THE LINE FROM 07N 162W 
TO 09N 142W...AND ALSO DRIFTED NORTH AS DESCRIBED IN THE SECOND 
PARAGRAPH FROM THE TOP ABOVE.

OTHERWISE...CLOUD COVER ACROSS HAWAIIAN WATERS WAS LIMITED MAINLY TO 
ISOLATED SMALL CUMULUS CLOUDS...THOUGH TOWERING CUMULUS CLOUDS AND 
POSSIBLE THUNDERSTORMS OCCURRED WITHIN 100 MILES OF THE POINT 17N 
164W...AND OVER THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS. THE LESSER CUMULI 
GENERALLY ROSE TO HEIGHTS OF 6000 TO 9000 FEET...AND MOVED TOWARD 
THE SOUTHWEST...WEST...OR NORTHWEST AT AROUND 20 MILES AN HOUR. THE 
MORE DEVELOPED CLOUDS MOVED MORE SLOWLY...AND VARIED IN HEIGHT 
CONSIDERABLY...WITH THE TALLER ONES APPROACHING 35000 FEET.

OVER THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS...CLOUD COVER CONSISTED MOSTLY OF 
TOWERING CUMULUS CLOUDS AND THUNDERSTORMS WITH THEIR LAYERED DEBRIS 
CLOUDS AT VARIOUS HEIGHTS. THE HEAVIEST ACTIVITY WAS LOCATED MAINLY 
NEAR OAHU...MOLOKAI...AND THE BIG ISLAND OF HAWAII...BUT MOST 
ISLANDS WERE SUBSTANTIALLY OBSCURED BY THE DEBRIS CLOUDS AT LEAST.

$$

RYSHKO

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.