Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2008 06:20:11 -0600

503 
ATHW40 PHFO 251220
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
1230 UTC FRI JAN 25 2008

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 1200 UTC JANUARY 25 2008

A HIGHLY AMPLIFIED PATTERN ACROSS THE NORTH PACIFIC IS MAINTAINING 
HIGH PRESSURE AT THE SURFACE AND ALOFT OVER THE MAIN HAWAIIAN 
ISLANDS...RESULTING IN A STABLE...TRADE-WIND WEATHER REGIME.

THE TRADE WIND FLOW IS FOCUSING BROKEN LOW CLOUDS OVER WINDWARD 
PORTIONS OF THE ISLANDS...ALTHOUGH BROKEN LOW CLOUDS HAVE BEEN 
UNUSUALLY PERSISTENT ACROSS THE SOUTH KONA SLOPES TONIGHT. A SMALL 
AREA OF BROKEN LOW CLOUDS DEVELOPED JUST EAST OF MAUI AND THE BIG 
ISLAND DURING THE EVENING AND IS CURRENTLY MOVING ONTO WINDWARD 
EXPOSURES OF THESE ISLANDS. LESSER CLOUD COVER IS FOUND ACROSS 
MOLOKAI...OAHU...AND KAUAI AND THEIR ADJACENT COASTAL WATERS. LOW 
CLOUD MOTIONS FROM AROUND THE STATE ARE FROM THE EAST NORTHEAST 
AROUND 20 MPH.

THE EDGE OF A SHIELD OF BROKEN HIGH CLOUDS HAS ADVANCED OVER KAUAI 
TONIGHT. THE MOVEMENT OF THESE CLOUDS HINTS AT THE AMPLIFIED PATTERN 
OVER THE REGION THAT IS PRODUCING STABLE RIDGING NEAR THE MAIN 
HAWAIIAN ISLANDS AND TROUGHING TO THE WEST AND EAST. AN 
EASTWARD-DRIFTING UPPER TROUGH JUST EAST OF MIDWAY ATOLL IS 
SUPPORTING A SURFACE TROUGH ABOUT 700 MILES NORTHWEST OF KAUAI. THE 
SURFACE TROUGH IS MARKED BY A 300 TO 400 MILE-WIDE BAND OF OVERCAST 
LAYERED CLOUDS ALONG 30N 168W AND 19N 175W...WITH ISOLATED... 
EMBEDDED THUNDERSTORMS RISING TO 39 KFT. BROKEN HIGH CLOUDS STREAM 
FROM THIS AREA TO THE NORTHEAST...ROUND THE TOP OF A DIRTY UPPER 
RIDGE ABOUT 325 MILES NORTHWEST OF KAUAI...THEN HEAD SOUTHEASTWARD 
TO KAUAI. ANOTHER...DEEPER UPPER TROUGH OCCUPIES MUCH OF THE 
NORTHEAST PACIFIC EAST OF 155W AND IS SUPPORTING A GALE OFF CENTRAL 
CALIFORNIA. A SHORT WAVE WITHIN THIS UPPER TROUGH IS ENHANCING A 
BAND OF BROKEN CUMULUS CLOUDS 275 MILES NORTHEAST OF THE ISLANDS. 
THE 125 MILE-WIDE BAND IS CENTERED ALONG 27N 158W...23N 150W...AND 
20N 141W AND IS MOVING TO THE SOUTHWEST AROUND 15 MPH.

$$

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.