Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 18:30:10 -0600

411 
ATHW40 PHFO 190030
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
0030 UTC SAT JAN 19 2008

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 0000 UTC JANUARY 19 2008

THUNDERSTORMS REMAIN NORTH OF THE BIG ISLAND AND MAUI...AND 
SOUTHWEST OF THE KONA COAST. ISOLATED CUMULONIMBUS /CB/ ARE ALSO 
FORMING ALONG THE KONA COAST AND THE HAMAKUA COAST OF THE BIG 
ISLAND. THE WINDWARD AREAS OF THE BIG ISLAND HAVE OVERCAST LAYERED 
CLOUDS PRODUCING HEAVY RAIN AS SEEN IN THE HILO OBSERVATION. A LINE 
OF CB/S IS MOVING SLOWLY INTO THE HANA COAST ON MAUI. THESE 
THUNDERSTORMS ARE BEING SPURNED ON BY AN UPPER LEVEL TROUGH 
WITH A NORTH SOUTH AXIS LOCATED OVER KAUAI AND OAHU. THE TROUGH HAS 
MOVED SLOWLY EAST SINCE THIS MORNING. A 225 MILE WIDE CLOUD 
BAND ASSOCIATED WITH THE TROUGH...INCLUDING THE AFOREMENTIONED 
THUNDERSTORMS...CROSSES 30N BETWEEN 150W AND 155W. CB/S NEAR THE BIG 
ISLAND HAVE CLOUD TOPS REACHING 40 THOUSAND FEET.

EAST OF THE CLOUD BAND...OUT TO 140W...BROKEN TO OVERCAST 
STRATOCUMULUS /SC/ AND STRATUS CLOUDS ARE MOVING 20 MPH TOWARD THE 
WEST.

OVER KAUAI BROKEN SC COVER MUCH OF THE ISLAND WITH THE CLEAREST 
SKIES ALONG THE WINDWARD COAST. OAHU HAS BROKEN SC AND CUMULUS OVER 
THE WAIANAE AND KOOLAU MTS WITH EMBEDDED MODERATE SHOWERS OVER 
WINDWARD AREAS. MOLOKAI...LANAI AND WESTERN MAUI HAVE SCATTERED SC 
ALONG WINDWARD AREAS WITH FLEETING CUMULUS PRODUCING PASSING SHOWERS.

A SOUTHWEST TO NORTHEAST CLOUD BAND ASSOCIATED WITH A COLD FRONT IS 
MOVING 30 MPH TOWARD THE EAST FAR NORTHWEST OF ISLANDS...OR ALONG 
THE LINE FROM 25N 180 TO 30N 165W. THE BAND IS MADE UP OF OVERCAST 
LAYERED CLOUDS WITH ISOLATED EMBEDDED CB.

AHEAD OF THE COLD FRONT BETWEEN 160W AND 170W LOW SCATTERED SC ARE 
MOVING NORTHWEST TO NORTH AT 25 MPH.

LOW SC CLOUDS BETWEEN 10N AND 20N FROM 140W TO 180 ARE MOVING WEST 
AT 10 TO 20 MPH. OVERCAST MID AND HIGH CLOUDS ASSOCIATED WITH THE 
ITCZ HAVE MOVED AS FAR NORTH AS 15N BETWEEN 140W AND 158W.

$$

MORRISON

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.