Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 06:33:09 -0600

272 
ATHW40 PHFO 181233
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
1230 UTC FRI JAN 18 2008

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 1200 UTC JANUARY 18 2008

A LAYER OF BROKEN HIGH LEVEL CIRRUS CLOUDS LINGERS OVER THE HAWAIIAN 
ISLANDS AND VICINITY...ROUGHLY FROM 15N TO 30N BETWEEN 160W AND 
150W...AND ARE OBSCURING THE DETAILS OF THE LOW CLOUDS. THESE CIRRUS 
CLOUDS LIES EAST OF AN UPPER LEVEL TROUGH WITH ITS NORTH TO SOUTH 
AXIS JUST WEST OF KAUAI. 

THE COMBINATION OF SATELLITE AND WEATHER RADAR INDICATES SCATTERED 
THUNDERSTORMS OVER THE WATERS EAST AND NORTHEAST OF CAPE KUMUKAHI OF 
THE BIG ISLAND. A COUPLE OF CELLS HAD CLOUD TOPS AS HIGH AS 40 
THOUSAND FEET. AND IT APPEARS THE BULK OF THE ACTIVITY WILL BE 
MOVING THROUGH THE WINDWARD WATERS OF THE BIG ISLAND AND MAUI. 
IMMEDIATELY EAST OF THE STORMS ARE ONLY A FEW TO SCATTERED LOW 
CLOUDS. THIS RELATIVELY CLEAR AREA LEAD TO ANOTHER SHOWER AREA 
CONSISTING OF BROKEN LOW CLOUDS WITH THE LEADING EDGE APPROACHING 
17N 150W OR ABOUT 375 NM SOUTHEAST OF THE KAU COAST OF THE BIG 
ISLAND. THE AREA IS MOVING WEST AT 20 KT. UNLESS THE TRAJECTORY 
CHANGES...IT IS SLATED TO PASS SOUTH OF THE BIG ISLAND. THE UPPER 
LEVEL TROUGH HAS ALSO INSTIGATED AN ISOLATED THUNDERSTORM AT 20N 
163W.

WEATHER RADAR IS ALSO PICKING UP SCATTERED SHOWERS OVER THE NORTH 
AND EAST SECTIONS AND ADJACENT WATERS OF THE BIG ISLAND...AND 
ISOLATED SHOWERS IN THE KAUAI CHANNEL. OTHER THAN FOR POCKETS OF 
BROKEN LOW CLOUDS OVER THE WINDWARD DISTRICTS OF THE SMALLER 
ISLANDS...FAIR SKIES PREVAILED ELSEWHERE. LOW CLOUD MOTION WITH 
NORTHEAST WINDS WEST OF OAHU AND A LITTLE SOUTH OF EAST OVER THE 
BIG ISLAND...SUGGEST A WEAK TROUGH OVER THE CENTRAL ISLANDS. 

$$

LAU

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.