Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2008 18:28:07 -0600

308 
ATHW40 PHFO 190027
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
0030 UTC TUE FEB 19 2008

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 0000 UTC FEBRUARY 19 2008

WEAK AND DECAYING FRONTS AND FRONTAL REMNANTS WERE STRUNG OUT FROM 
EAST TO WEST ACROSS THE REGION NORTH OF THE ISLANDS.  AN EAST TO 
WEST RIDGE OF HIGH PRESSURE AT THE SURFACE REMAINED OVER THE STATE.
LIGHT SOUTHERLY WINDS FROM MAUI TO KAUAI WERE KEEPING THE FRONTS AT 
BAY TO THE NORTH.  LIGHT EASTERLY WINDS PREVAILED NEAR THE BIG 
ISLAND.  

SCARCE ISOLATED PATCHES OF SCATTERED LOW CLOUDS IN THE VICINITY OF 
THE ISLANDS WERE MOVING ALONG SLOWLY.  A FEW CLOUDS SEEN JUST SOUTH 
OF OAHU WERE MOVING NORTH NEAR 5 MILES AN HOUR.  SOME LOW CLOUDS 
SOUTH OF THE BIG ISLANDS WERE MOVING WEST NEAR 10 MILES AN HOUR.

THOUGH FEW CLOUDS WERE OVER THE SURROUNDING WATERS...LIGHT WINDS AND 
DAYTIME HEATING PROMOTED CLOUD DEVELOPMENT DIRECTLY OVER THE 
ISLANDS AND MAINLY ALONG THE SLOPES AND OVER MOUNTAINS. 

WATER VAPOR IMAGERY SHOWED A BROAD UPPER LEVEL RIDGE EXTENDING FROM 
THE NORTHEAST TO SOUTHWEST ACROSS THE HAWAIIAN ISLANDS.  THE RIDGE 
AXIS EXTENDED FROM 27N 147W OVER THE STATE THROUGH 14N 180. THE 
RIDGE WAS NEARLY STATIONARY.  AN UPPER LEVEL LOW WAS NEAR 09N 142W 
AND WAS MOVING VERY SLOWLY EASTWARD.  

$$

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.