Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2008 18:23:09 -0600

898 
ATHW40 PHFO 170023
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
0030 UTC SUN FEB 17 2008

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 0000 UTC FEBRUARY 17 2008

THE THREE OVERCAST CLOUD AREAS THAT WERE AROUND THIS MORNING HAVE 
NOW BECOME TWO DISTINCT CLOUD AREAS THIS AFTERNOON. THE FIRST 
COVERS KAUAI WITH OVERCAST STRATOCUMULUS /SC/ AND EXTENDS 125 MILES 
TO THE SOUTHWEST AND 150 MILES TO THE NORTH OF THE ISLAND. THE 
SECOND IS THE BIG ISLAND PLUME WHICH STARTS 25 MILES OFFSHORE OF 
KONA AND EXTENDS EAST 170 MILES WITH A WIDTH AVERAGING 75 MILES. 
BOTH CLOUD AREAS HAVE SOME EMBEDDED SHOWERS WITHIN THE OVERCAST SC. 
OVER OAHU MOLOKAI AND LANAI SKIES ARE SCATTERED TO BROKEN SC WITH 
SOME ISOLATED SHOWERS. MAUI HAS BROKEN SC OVER THE WEST MAUI MTS AND 
ALONG THE SLOPES OF HALEAKALA UP TO ABOUT 8000 FEET. THE BIG ISLAND 
HAS SCATTERED TO BROKEN SC OVER THE ISLAND UP TO 8000 FEET AS WELL.

A COLD FRONT IS MOVING 28 MPH TOWARD THE EAST AT 27N AND AT ITS 
CLOSEST POINT IS 425 MILES NORTHWEST OF KAUAI. THE CLOUD BAND 
ASSOCIATED WITH THE FRONT STRETCHES FROM THE WEST PACIFIC OVER 23N 
180 OVER 26N 170W AND 30N 159W. THE BAND HAS A 700 MILE AREA OF 
OVERCAST SC BEHIND THE FRONT NEAR 30N WHICH TAPERS TO 200 MILES 
ACROSS NEAR THE DATELINE. ALONG THE FRONT SOUTH OF 30N...THE BAND IS 
MADE UP OF OVERCAST SC WITH EMBEDDED TOWERING CUMULUS. BROKEN 
CIRRUS AHEAD OF THE FRONT COVERS THE AREA NORTH OF 28N BETWEEN 148W 
TO 158W.

AN UPPER LEVEL LOW IS CENTERED OVER 15N 145W AND HAS DRIFTED EAST 
OVER THE PAST 6 HOURS. THE SUBTROPICAL JET IS RUNNING NORTHEAST 
ALONG THE SOUTHEAST QUADRANT OF THE LOW. SCATTERED THUNDERSTORMS ARE 
FORMING OVER THE EASTERN SEMICIRCLE OF THE LOW WITH AN AREA OF 
BROKEN CIRRUS. THE THUNDERSTORM TOPS ARE REACHING AS HIGH AS 49 
THOUSAND FEET.

SCATTERED SC IN THE VICINITY OF THE ISLANDS ARE MOVING NORTH TO 
NORTHEAST AT 15 MPH DUE TO A SURFACE RIDGE OVER THE ISLANDS AND THE 
FRONT TO THE NORTHWEST. SOUTH OF 20N SCATTERED SC ARE MOVING WEST AT 
15 MPH.

$$ 

MORRISON

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.