Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 09 Feb 2008 12:20:07 -0600

075 
ATHW40 PHFO 091820
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
1830 UTC SAT FEB 09 2008

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 1800 UTC FEBRUARY 09 2008

STILL A COMPLEX WEATHER PATTERN OVER AND NEAR THE ISLANDS THIS 
MORNING...WITH AN UPPER LEVEL TROUGH RUNNING NORTHEAST TO SOUTHWEST 
OVER THE BIG ISLAND AND AN UPPER RIDGE ALSO ORIENTED NORTHEAST TO 
SOUTHWEST ABOUT 800 MILES NORTHWEST OF KAUAI. THE RIDGE IS LOCATED 
ALONG A LINE THROUGH 34N160W...30N170W...20N180. IT IS MOVING TO THE 
EAST...PUSHING THE TROUGH EASTWARD AS IT GOES. 

WITHIN THE TROUGH IS A MID TO UPPER LEVEL LOW AROUND 350 MILES 
SOUTHWEST OF KONA NEAR 16N160W. THE LOW WAS PROBABLY RESPONSIBLE FOR 
THE THUNDERSTORMS OVER THE BIG ISLAND LAST NIGHT. A SECOND UPPER LOW 
CAN BE SEEN ABOUT 70 MILES SOUTHWEST OF SOUTH POINT NEAR 18N156W. 
THIS LOW...ALONG WITH A SURFACE TROUGH BENEATH IT...IS SETTING OFF 
SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS IMMEDIATELY SOUTH OF THE BIG ISLAND. BOTH 
LOWS ARE MOVING SOUTHWESTWARD DOWN THE BACK OR WEST SIDE OF THE 
TROUGH.

TO FURTHER COMPLICATE THINGS...IS A STRONG MID LEVEL LOW LOCATED 
ABOUT 400 MILES SOUTHWEST OF SOUTH POINT NEAR 14N159W. THIS LOW IS 
TILTED TO THE EAST WITH AN UPPER LEVEL CENTER ABOUT 365 MILES SOUTH 
OF SOUTH POINT NEAR 14N156W. THE LOW IS MOVING TO THE NORTHEAST 
ALONG THE FRONT OR EAST SIDE OF THE TROUGH. IT IS TRIGGERING TWO 
AREAS OF SCATTERED HEAVY THUNDERSTORMS...ONE FROM 250 TO 550 MILES 
SOUTHEAST OF THE BIG ISLAND AND ANOTHER 275 TO 500 MILES SOUTH OF 
THE BIG ISLAND. 

EAST OF THE UPPER TROUGH AND LOWS ARE BROKEN TO OVERCAST CLOUD 
LAYERS WITH THE EMBEDDED THUNDERSTORMS UP TO 41000 FEET. THE 
NORTHERN EDGE OF THE LAYERED CLOUDS LIES ALONG A LINE THROUGH 
30N140W...24N150W...THE BIG ISLAND...10N160W. 

TO THE WEST OF THE UPPER TROUGH AND LOWS...OVER AND AROUND THE 
SMALLER ISLANDS...ARE SCATTERED LOW CLOUDS. CLOUD TOPS OVER AND NEAR 
KAUAI ARE TO 9000 FEET...LOWERING TO 6000 FEET OVER AND NEAR OAHU 
AND MAUI COUNTY. THESE LOW CLOUDS ARE MOVING AROUND 25 MPH TO THE 
WEST IN THE TRADE WINDS.

$$
CRAIG

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.