Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 09 Feb 2008 06:31:10 -0600

098 
ATHW40 PHFO 091231
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
1230 UTC SAT FEB 09 2008

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 1200 UTC FEBRUARY 09 2008

THE UPPER LEVEL TROUGH OVER THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS HAS MOVED TO 
THE EAST OVER THE LAST SEVERAL HOURS...REMAINING OVER THE BIG ISLAND 
AT 2 AM. A MID TO UPPER LEVEL LOW CONTINUES TO BE EVIDENT ON WATER 
VAPOR IMAGERY TO THE SOUTHWEST OF THE BIG ISLAND. AS OF 2 AM THE 
CENTER OF THE UPPER LEVEL LOW WAS NEAR 17.6N 158.7W...ABOUT 230 
MILES SOUTHWEST OF KONA. 

AS THE UPPER LEVEL TROUGH MOVED TO THE EAST...THE BULK OF THE HIGH 
CLOUD SHIELD HAS ALSO SHIFTED TO THE EAST. DESPITE THE EASTWARD 
MOVEMENT...HIGH CLOUDS STILL BLANKET MOST OF THE BIG ISLAND AND 
AREAS TO THE EAST. THE HIGH CLOUDS ARE MAKING IT DIFFICULT TO 
DISCERN THE EXTENT OF LOW CLOUD COVERAGE OVER THE BIG ISLAND AND 
POINTS UPSTREAM. HOWEVER BASED ON RADAR AND SATELLITE LOOPS...THERE 
ARE SOME LAYERED CLOUDS WITHIN THIS AREA...PARTICULARLY OVER AND 
JUST UPSTREAM OF THE BIG ISLAND.

LOW CLOUDS AREA ALSO FOUND OVER THE EAST FACING SLOPES OF HALEAKALA 
AND THE WEST MAUI MOUNTAINS ON MAUI. THE CLOUDS OVER HALEAKALA ARE 
THICKER AND EXTEND ALMOST 50 MILES TO THE NORTHEAST.

KAUAI HAS SCATTERED TO BROKEN LOW CLOUDS OVER THE EASTERN HALF OF 
THE ISLAND. OAHU HAS SCATTERED LOW CLOUDS OVER THE KOOLAU RANGE. 
SCATTERED CLOUDS ARE FOUND OVER THE REMAINING ISLANDS OF MAUI 
COUNTY. FEW CLOUDS ARE UPSTREAM OF OAHU AND KAUAI.

$$

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.