Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Jan 2008 23:49:59 -0600

167 
ATHW40 PHFO 050549
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
0530 UTC SAT JAN 05 2008

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 0500 UTC JANUARY 05 2008

THERE HAS BEEN LITTLE CHANGE IN CLOUD COVER AROUND THE MAIN HAWAIIAN 
ISLANDS OVER THE PAST 5 HOURS.

BROKEN LOW CLOUDS COVER MOST AREAS OF THE ISLANDS FROM KAUAI TO 
MOLOKAI. VISIBLE IMAGERY THROUGH 530 PM SHOWED WAVE CLOUDS OVER 
OAHU...A SERIES OF CLOSELY SPACED NARROW NORTHWEST TO SOUTHEAST 
CLOUD LINES. BROKEN LOW CLOUDS ALSO COVER MUCH OF MAUI BUT CLOUDS 
ARE SCATTERED OVER THE UPPER SLOPES OF MOUNT HALEAKALA. BROKEN TO 
OVERCAST LOW CLOUDS COVER MOST LOWLAND AREAS OF THE BIG ISLAND OF 
HAWAII. CLOUDS ARE ISOLATED OVER THE KAU DESERT AND OVER THE 
INTERIOR ABOVE ABOUT 5000 FEET OF ELEVATION. THE CLOUDS AROUND THE 
MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS ARE MOSTLY STABLE STRATOCUMULUS...SC...WITH 
SCATTERED CUMULUS...CU...MIXED IN.

LOW CLOUD MOTIONS SOUTH OF THE BIG ISLAND ARE FROM THE EAST 
NORTHEAST AT 30 MPH...LOW CLOUD MOTIONS EAST NORTHEAST OF THE BIG 
ISLAND AND MAUI ARE FROM THE EAST NORTHEAST AT 20 MPH AND LOW CLOUD 
MOTIONS NEAR OAHU AND KAUAI ARE FROM THE EAST NORTHEAST AT 25 MPH. 
THERE IS A LARGE AREA OF STABLE...BROKEN TO OVERCAST SC EAST AND 
NORTH OF A LINE FROM 30N 149W TO MAUI TO 20N 160W WITH SCATTERED TO 
BROKEN LOW CLOUDS...A MIX OF CU AND SC...FARTHER EAST AND SOUTH. 
RADARS SHOW SCATTERED LIGHT SHOWERS MOVING WEST SOUTHWEST TOWARD THE 
ISLANDS FROM THE BIG ISLAND TO OAHU AND ONLY ISOLATED SHOWERS AROUND 
KAUAI AND NIIHAU.

A 120 TO 180 MILE WIDE BAND OF SHOWERY BROKEN TO OVERCAST LOW CLOUDS 
IS CENTERED FROM 90 MILES SOUTHWEST OF KAUAI TO 25N 170W TO 30N 
177W. THERE ARE ISOLATED TOWERING CUMULUS CLOUDS IN THE BAND NORTH 
OF 29N. THE PART OF THE BAND EAST OF 175W HAS BEEN NEARLY 
STATIONARY. THE PART WEST OF 175W HAS BEEN MOVING TOWARD THE 
NORTHEAST AT 10 TO 15 MPH.

WATER VAPOR IMAGERY...WHICH SHOWS FEATURES MAINLY ABOVE 24000 
FEET...SHOWS AN ANTICYCLONE ALOFT NEARLY STATIONARY 370 MILES 
NORTHEAST OF OAHU NEAR 26N 155W. A TROUGH ALOFT CENTERED FROM 30N 
176W TO 21N 177W IS MOVING TOWARD THE EAST NORTHEAST AT 25 MPH. A 
STRONG JET STREAM RUNS FROM 13N 180 TO 12N 175W TO 14N 165W TO 10N 
151W. A LARGE AREA OF BROKEN TO OVERCAST HIGH...CIRRUS...CLOUDS IS 
NEARLY STATIONARY WEST AND SOUTH OF A LINE FROM 10N 164W TO 24N 170W 
TO 22N 180. 

$$
DONALDSON

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.