Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2008 06:26:46 -0600

850 
ATHW40 PHFO 131226
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
1230 UTC WED FEB 13 2008

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 1200 UTC FEBRUARY 13 2008

A FRONT WAS ABOUT 550 MILES WEST-NORTHWEST OF KAUAI EARLY THIS 
WEDNESDAY MORNING.  THE LEADING EDGE OF THE FRONTAL CLOUD BAND 
EXTENDED SOUTHWEST THROUGH 30N 161W TO 25N 170W 23N 178W.  THAT 
PART OF THE FRONT NORTH OF 25N WAS MOVING EAST NEAR 25 MILES AN 
HOUR WHILE THE TAIL END WEST OF 170W WAS SOMEWHAT STATIONARY. 

THE FRONTAL CLOUD BAND WAS COMPRISED OF BROKEN TO OVERCAST 
MULTI-LAYERED CLOUDS NORTH OF 28N LATITUDE.  A HANDFUL OF 
WEAK ISOLATED THUNDERSTORMS WERE ALSO SEEN ALONG THE EAST EDGE OF 
THE BAND NORTH OF 28N.  BROKEN TO OVERCAST LOW CLOUDS WERE COMMON 
WITHIN THE BAND SOUTH OF 28N.  A SWATH OF BROKEN TO OVERCAST CIRRUS 
WAS FLOWING WESTWARD ACROSS THE INTERNATIONAL DATELINE JUST NORTH OF 
THE FRONT.  THESE HIGH CLOUDS WERE MOSTLY OCCUPYING THE AREA BETWEEN 
170W AND 180 FROM 27N TO 32N. 

MEANWHILE...NEAR AND EAST OF THE STATE...PATCHES AND SMALL CLUSTERS 
OF SCATTERED TO BROKEN LOW CLOUDS WERE CURVING IN A CLOCKWISE MANNER 
AROUND A SURFACE RIDGE.  THE RIDGE AXIS EXTENDED ROUGHLY THROUGH 30N 
147W TO NEAR KAUAI TO AROUND 20N 170W.  SOUTH OF THE RIDGE...THE LOW 
CLOUDS WERE STREAMING WESTWARD.  NORTH OF THE RIDGE...THE LOW CLOUDS 
WERE FLOWING NORTHWARD.  SPEED OF MOVEMENT NEAR THE ISLANDS WAS 
NEAR 15 TO 18 MILES AN HOUR.  FEW CLOUD WERE OBSERVED IN THE AREA 
WEST AND SOUTHWEST OF THE ISLAND CHAIN. 

WATER VAPOR IMAGERY SHOWED AN UPPER LEVEL TROUGH EXTENDING SOUTHWEST 
THROUGH 27N 140W TO AN UPPER LOW NEAR 24N 143W TO ANOTHER UPPER LOW 
NEAR 12N 155W TO 09N 160W.  SPECKS OF CIRRUS AND VERY ISOLATED... 
MOSTLY WEAK THUNDERSTORMS WERE FORMING JUST SOUTHEAST OF THE 
TROUGH.  

$$ 

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.