Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2008 18:30:44 -0600

650 
ATHW40 PHFO 120030
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
0030 UTC TUE FEB 12 2008

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 0000 UTC FEBRUARY 12 2008

RIDGING AT THE SURFACE AND ALOFT DOMINATE OVER THE MAIN HAWAIIAN 
ISLANDS...PRODUCING A MODERATE TO FRESH TRADE WIND FLOW AND ONLY 
PATCHES OF BROKEN LOW CLOUDS OVER MOSTLY WINDWARD LOCALES.

RIDGING ALOFT CONTINUES TO BUILD ACROSS THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS 
FROM THE NORTHWEST...PRODUCING A STABLE TRADE WIND FLOW. LOW CLOUD 
COVER IS SCANT DIRECTLY UNDER THE UPPER RIDGE AXIS NEAR KAUAI AND 
OAHU...WITH ONLY SCATTERED...RATHER STABLE STRATOCUMULUS MOVING 
ALONG THE TRADE WIND FLOW AT 20 TO 25 MPH OVER THE EASTERN END OF 
THE ISLAND CHAIN. DUE TO THE STABLE CONDITIONS...PATCHES OF 
SCATTERED TO BROKEN LOW CLOUDS ARE CONFINED TO WINDWARD PORTIONS OF 
KAUAI...OAHU...AND MOLOKAI...WHILE WISPS OF HIGH CLOUDS PASS OVER 
FROM THE NORTH. LOW CLOUD COVER IS A BIT MORE EXTENSIVE ON MAUI AND 
THE BIG ISLAND. IN ADDITION TO THE USUAL WINDWARD CLOUDS...BROKEN 
LOW CLOUDS HAVE DEVELOPED OVER THE MIDDLE SLOPES OF THE KAU AND 
SOUTH KONA DISTRICTS OF THE BIG ISLAND AS WELL AS LEEWARD HALEAKALA.

AN UPPER LEVEL LOW CENTERED 600 MILES SOUTHEAST OF THE BIG ISLAND IS 
MOVING TO THE NORTHEAST AT 15 MPH. THUNDERSTORM ACTIVITY TO THE EAST 
OF THIS FEATURE HAS DECREASED SUBSTANTIALLY THIS AFTERNOON...THOUGH 
BROKEN LAYERED CLOUDS PERSIST SOUTH OF 19N EAST OF 149W. ALONG ITS 
NORTHERN FLANK...THE UPPER LOW IS GENERATING A BAND OF SCATTERED 
TOWERING CUMULUS CELLS AND ISOLATED THUNDERSTORMS RISING BETWEEN 30 
TO 37 KFT. THIS BAND IS CONFINED TO THE AREA BETWEEN 17N AND 13N 
EAST OF 155W...ABOUT 200 MILES SOUTHEAST OF THE BIG ISLAND. TO THE 
NORTH OF THIS BAND...ANOTHER BAND OF SCATTERED TO BROKEN CUMULUS 
CLOUDS IS SKIRTING 50 MILES SOUTHEAST OF THE BIG ISLAND.

THE HIGH CLOUDS MOVING OVER THE SMALLER ISLANDS FROM THE NORTH ARE 
ASSOCIATED WITH A STRONG JET STREAM RUNNING NEARLY EAST TO WEST JUST 
NORTH OF 30N. THE JET STREAM IS SUPPORTING FRONTS RACING ALONG 30N 
SEVERAL HUNDRED MILES NORTH OF THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS. THE 
TAIL END OF ONE COLD FRONT HAS STALLED ABOUT 350 MILES NORTH OF 
KAUAI...WHILE THE REST OF THE FRONT MOVES RAPIDLY TO THE NORTHEAST 
NORTH OF 30N. ALL THAT REMAINS OF THIS FEATURE IS A NARROW LINE OF 
BROKEN LOW CLOUDS ALONG 30N 152W AND 27N 160W. FURTHER WEST...THE 
LEADING EDGE OF A COLD FRONT ALONG 30N 177W AND 28N 180 IS 
APPROACHING MIDWAY ATOLL FROM THE WEST AROUND 40 MPH. A SHIELD OF 
BROKEN HIGH CLOUDS ASSOCIATED WITH A WARM FRONT HAS MOVED NORTH OF 
MIDWAY AND IS CONFINED NORTH OF 29N WEST OF 170W.

$$
WROE

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.