Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2008 23:38:11 -0600

471 
ATHW40 PHFO 070538
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
0530 UTC THU FEB 7 2008

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 0500 UTC FEBRUARY 7 2008

AN AREA OF BROKEN TO OVERCAST LAYERED CLOUDS COVERS THE CENTRAL 
NORTH PACIFIC WITHIN AN AREA BOUNDED BY 22N145W...09N148W...10N160W 
AND 23N155W. OVERCAST HIGH CLOUDS EXTEND TO THE NORTHEAST OF THESE 
LAYERED CLOUDS...MAINLY FROM 23N AND 30N BETWEEN 142W AND 155W. 
ISOLATED CUMULONIMBUS...CB...LINE THE SOUTHERN EDGE OF THIS LAYERED 
CLOUD AREA...WITHIN A 60 NM MILE WIDE LINE FROM 09N149W TO 09N152W. 
ISOLATED CB HAVE ALSO FORMED WEST OF THE LAYERED CLOUD AREA 250 
MILES SOUTHWEST OF THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS. CB HAVE ALSO RECENTLY 
POPPED UP ACROSS THE KOOLAU RANGE OF OAHU. THE LAYERED CLOUD AREA 
COVERS THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS FROM MOLOKAI EASTWARD. 
HOWEVER...SOME THINNING OF THESE CLOUDS IS NOTED OVER THE PAST 24 
HOURS.

WATER VAPOR LOOPS SHOW AN UPPER TROUGH ACROSS THE MAIN HAWAIIAN 
ISLANDS...WITH AN AXIS EXTENDING THROUGH 33N150W AND 30N155W AND 
20N160W. THE LAYERED CLOUD AREA MARKS THE EASTERN FLANK OF THIS 
UPPER TROUGH. THIS TROUGH APPEARS TO BE MOVING TOWARDS THE EAST 
SLOWLY.

FARTHER TO THE NORTH...BROKEN TO OVERCAST LAYERED CLOUDS LIE NORTH 
AND WEST OF A LINE FROM 42N140W TO 40N150W TO 30N160W TO 40N175W. AN 
UPPER LOW IS NOTED NEAR 38N176W...WITH THE LAYERED CLOUDS MARKING 
EAST AND SOUTHEAST FLANKS OF THIS SYSTEM. 

BROKEN TO OVERCAST LAYERED CLOUDS COMPLETELY BLOCK THE VIEW OF LOW 
CLOUDS ACROSS THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS FROM MOLOKAI EASTWARD. COLD 
CONVECTIVE CLOUD TOPS HAVE FORMED ACROSS THE KOOLAU RANGE OF OAHU 
WITHIN THE PAST TWO HOURS...WITH CLOUD TOP TEMPERATURES OF MINUS 41 
DEGREES C. THIS CORRESPONDS TO CLOUD TOP HEIGHTS OF ABOUT 32000 
FEET. THE REST OF OAHU HAS BROKEN TO OVERCAST LOW CLOUDS. BROKEN LOW 
CLOUDS COVER THE EASTERN HALF OF KAUAI. SATELLITE LOOPS SHOW LOW 
CLOUDS MOVING TOWARDS THE WEST NORTHWEST AT 25 MPH NEAR KAUAI AND 
OAHU.

$$
POWELL

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.