Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2008 12:36:48 -0600

792 
ATHW40 PHFO 041836
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
1830 UTC MON FEB 04 2008

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 1800 UTC FEBRUARY 04 2008

WATER VAPOR IMAGERY SHOWS AN UPPER TROUGH NEARLY STATIONARY JUST 
WEST OF THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS...EXTENDING FROM 30N 158W TO 20N 
163W...OR FROM 500 MILES NORTH OF KAUAI TO 300 MILES WEST SOUTHWEST 
OF KAUAI. ISOLATED CUMULONIMBUS CLOUDS WITH TOPS TO 35000 FT ARE 
LOCATED ALONG AND TO THE EAST OF THIS TROUGH. THESE CELLS ARE MOVING 
TO THE WEST AT 15 TO 20 MPH. 

A BAND OF BROKEN TO OVERCAST LAYERED CLOUDS EXTENDS FROM 22N 150W TO 
15N 160W...THEN SOUTH TO AN AREA OF SCATTERED CONVECTION ALONG 08N 
IN THE INTERTROPICAL CONVERGENCE ZONE /ITCZ/. THE CLOUD BAND IS 250 
MILES WIDE NEAR 150W...AND OVER 500 MILES WIDE NEAR 160W. IN 
ADDITION...BROKEN TO OVERCAST CIRRUS AND CIRROCUMULUS CLOUDS EXTEND 
200 MILES WEST OF THE MAIN CLOUD BAND. THE WIDESPREAD LAYERED CLOUDS 
EXTEND THROUGH 25000 FT...WITH ISOLATED EMBEDDED CUMULONIMBUS CLOUDS 
WITH TOPS TO 40000 FT. IN THE ITCZ...SCATTERED CUMULONIMBUS CLOUDS 
EXTEND THROUGH 52000 FT. 

ACROSS THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS...THE BAND OF LAYERED CLOUDS COVERS 
THE EASTERN SLOPES AND INTERIOR OF THE BIG ISLAND...WITH BROKEN TO 
OVERCAST CIRRUS AND CIRROSTRATUS COVERING THE REST OF THE BIG ISLAND 
AND MAUI COUNTY. A LINE OF TOWERING CUMULUS AND CUMULONIMBUS CLOUDS 
ORIENTED EAST TO WEST EXTENDS FROM 50 MILES NORTH OF MAUI TO THE 
NORTH SHORE OF OAHU TO THE SOUTH SHORE OF KAUAI. INDIVIDUAL 
CONVECTIVE CELLS WITHIN THIS LINE ARE MOVING TO THE WEST AT 20 MPH. 
SCATTERED TO BROKEN LOW CLOUDS COVER THE REST OF KAUAI AND 
OAHU...AND ARE LIKELY LOCATED ACROSS WINDWARD SLOPES OF MAUI COUNTY 
AS WELL BENEATH THE HIGH CLOUD LAYER. 

FARTHER TO THE NORTHWEST...AN AREA OF BROKEN LAYERED CLOUDS IS 
LOCATED BETWEEN 168W AND 176W...NORTH OF 25N. THESE CLOUDS ARE 
ASSOCIATED WITH THE TAIL END OF A COLD FRONT THAT IS LOCATED NORTH 
OF 30N. CLOUD MOTION IS TO THE EAST AT 25 MPH. CLOUD TOPS EXTEND 
THROUGH 20000 FT...WITH ISOLATED TOPS TO 34000 FT. 

$$

BRAVENDER

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.