Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 Jan 2008 12:29:21 -0600

241 
ATHW40 PHFO 011829
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
1830 UTC TUE JAN 01 2008

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 1800 UTC JANUARY 01 2008

A NORTHEAST-SOUTHWEST ORIENTED UPPER TROUGH REMAINS SITUATED OVER 
THE HAWAIIAN ISLANDS THIS NEW YEARS DAY MORNING.  THE TROUGH AXIS 
EXTENDED FROM NEAR 30N 143W OVER THE KAUAI CHANNEL TO AROUND 24N 
180.  THE JET STREAM FLOWING EAST AND NORTHEAST JUST SOUTH OF THE 
TROUGH AXIS WAS PULLING A SWATH OF BROKEN TO OVERCAST CIRRUS ALONG 
WITH IT.  SOME OF THE CIRRUS ALONG THE NORTHERN EDGE OF THE SWATH 
WAS OCCASIONALLY PASSING OVER THE BIG ISLAND.

A SHEAR LINE CLOUD BAND...CONSISTING OF BROKEN TO OVERCAST LOW 
CLOUDS...WAS SKIRTING KAUAI.  THE SOUTH EDGE OF THE APPROXIMATELY 
100 MILES WIDE BAND STRETCHED FROM 25N 150W TO THE NORTH COAST OF 
KAUAI TO 21N 165W.  THE BAND CONTINUED NORTHEAST FROM 24N 150W AS 
THE TAIL END OF A FRONT ATTACHED TO A LARGE LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM IN 
THE GULF OF ALASKA. 

SHOWERY LOW CLOUDS NEAR KAUAI WERE MOVING WEST-SOUTHWEST AT JUST 
UNDER 25 MILES AN HOUR.  AT 8 AM...KAUAI WAS MOSTLY CLOUDY OVER THE 
EAST AND CENTRAL PARTS OF THE ISLAND...AND THE BIG ISLAND WAS MOSTLY 
CLOUDY OVER ITS SOUTHERN TWO-THIRDS.  BUT THE REST OF THE STATE HAD 
MOSTLY SUNNY TO PARTLY CLOUDY SKIES.
 
$$

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.