Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2008 23:15:00 -0600

518 
ATHW40 PHFO 200514
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
0530 UTC SUN JAN 20 2008

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 0500 UTC JANUARY 20 2008

RIDGING AT THE SURFACE AND ALOFT A COUPLE HUNDRED MILES NORTH OF 
KAUAI IS PRODUCING A MODERATE TRADE WIND FLOW ACROSS THE MAIN 
HAWAIIAN ISLANDS...WHILE LINGERING INSTABILITY FROM AN UPPER LEVEL 
LOW SOUTHEAST OF THE STATE IS ENHANCING LOW CLOUD COVER OVER THE 
ISLANDS.

THE NEARLY STATIONARY UPPER LOW IS CENTERED ABOUT 425 MILES 
SOUTHEAST OF THE BIG ISLAND NEAR 14N 151W...AT THE BASE OF A WEAK 
UPPER TROUGH THAT EXTENDS NORTH TO 24N 147W AND 30N 146W. ISOLATED 
THUNDERSTORMS RISE TO 37000 FT WITHIN 175 MILES SOUTH OF THE CENTER 
OF THE UPPER LOW. A SUBTROPICAL JET RUNS ALONG THE SOUTHEAST FLANK 
OF THE UPPER LOW...TAPPING MOISTURE ALOFT FROM THE ITCZ AND 
GENERATING A SHIELD OF BROKEN HIGH CLOUDS SOUTH OF A LINE THROUGH 
10N 154W AND 22N 140W.

THE UPPER LOW DRIFTED AWAY FROM THE STATE TODAY...BUT LINGERING 
INSTABILITY IS STILL ENHANCING LOW CLOUDS MOVING IN ON THE 
STRENGTHENING TRADES. A SMALL...POORLY ORGANIZED AREA OF BROKEN LOW 
CLOUDS WITH TOPS BETWEEN 10000 AND 12000 FT IS MOVING OVER WINDWARD 
LOCALES FROM THE BIG ISLAND TO OAHU...AND SOME CLOUDS ARE SPREADING 
OVER TO LEEWARD SECTIONS OF OAHU AND MAUI COUNTY. ON THE BIG 
ISLAND...AFTERNOON CONVECTION ON THE LEEWARD SLOPES IS WINDING 
DOWN...BUT TOWERING CUMULUS TOPS STILL REACH 16000 FT. ON KAUAI... 
MORE STABLE AREAS OF BROKEN LOW CLOUDS CARRIED BY THE TRADE WINDS 
ARE CONFINED TO WINDWARD AREAS. INDIVIDUAL LOW CLOUD MOTIONS FROM 
AROUND THE STATE ARE FROM THE EAST NORTHEAST AROUND 20 MPH.

ELSEWHERE...A STALLED FRONT IS LOCATED 375 MILES NORTHWEST OF KAUAI. 
THIS FEATURE IS COMPRISED OF A 250 MILE-WIDE BAND OF BROKEN LAYERED 
CLOUDS CENTERED ALONG 30N 159W...27N 166W...AND 27N 179W. THE 
EASTERN END OF THE FRONT IS NEARLY STATIONARY...WHILE THE WESTERN 
END IS DRIFTING NORTHWARD TOWARD MIDWAY ATOLL IN THE STRENGTHENING 
SOUTHERLY FLOW AHEAD OF A COLD FRONT APPROACHING 180.

$$
WROE

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.