Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 18:28:11 -0600

999 
ATHW40 PHFO 300028
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
0030 UTC WED JAN 30 2008

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 0000 UTC JANUARY 30 2008

AN UPPER LEVEL LOW APPROACHING THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS FROM THE 
NORTHEAST IS GENERATING THUNDERSTORMS NEAR MAUI AND THE BIG ISLAND 
AND IS ENHANCING CLOUDS WITHIN THE FRESH TRADE WIND FLOW OVER THE 
REST OF THE STATE.

THE UPPER LOW IS CENTERED JUST EAST OF MAUI AND NORTH OF THE BIG 
ISLAND NEAR 21N 155W AND IS MOVING SOUTHWARD AROUND 10 MPH. THIS 
FEATURE IS TRIGGERING A 250 MILE-WIDE SWATH OF SCATTERED 
THUNDERSTORMS ALONG ITS SOUTHEAST FLANK THAT EXTENDS 300 MILES 
NORTHEAST OF MAUI AND THE BIG ISLAND. OVER THESE ISLANDS... 
THUNDERSTORMS RISE AS HIGH AS 31 KFT...WITH TOPS REACHING 36 KFT 
NORTHEAST OF THE ISLANDS. THE UPPER LOW IS EMBEDDED WITHIN A 
LARGER...NEARLY STATIONARY UPPER TROUGH EXTENDING ALONG 30N 144W... 
21N 155W...AND 12N 167W. A SUBTROPICAL JET STREAM RUNNING ALONG THE 
SOUTHEAST FLANK OF THE UPPER TROUGH IS GENERATING A SHIELD OF BROKEN 
HIGH CLOUDS 350 MILES SOUTHEAST OF THE BIG ISLAND. A SHIELD OF 
BROKEN CIRRUS IS FOUND SOUTH OF A LINE THROUGH 13N 158W AND 27N 140W.

A FRESH AND UNSTABLE TRADE WIND FLOW DOMINATES ACROSS THE MAIN 
HAWAIIAN ISLANDS. THE UPPER LOW IS FOCUSING THE GREATEST INSTABILITY 
ALONG ITS SOUTHEAST FLANK ACROSS MAUI AND THE BIG ISLAND. BROKEN 
TOWERING CUMULUS CLOUDS AND ISOLATED THUNDERSTORMS COVER MOST 
PORTIONS OF THESE ISLANDS. ALONG THE WESTERN END OF THE STATE UNDER 
THE SOUTHWEST FLANK OF THE UPPER LOW...SCATTERED CUMULUS CLOUDS RISE 
AS HIGH AS 15 KFT AND ARE TRAVELLING FROM THE EAST NORTHEAST AROUND 
30 MPH IN THE FRESH TRADE WIND FLOW. BROKEN CUMULUS CLOUDS ARE FOUND 
ACROSS WINDWARD AREAS OF MOLOKAI...OAHU...AND KAUAI...WHILE 
SCATTERED TO BROKEN LOW CLOUDS PERIODICALLY PASS OVER LEEWARD 
SECTIONS.

ELSEWHERE...A FRONT IS SLOWLY APPROACHING MIDWAY ATOLL FROM THE 
WEST. THIS SLOW-MOVING FEATURE IS PRODUCING ISOLATED THUNDERSTORMS 
NORTH OF 25N WEST OF 179W...WHILE BROKEN HIGH CLOUDS AHEAD OF THE 
FRONT PASS OVER MIDWAY.

$$
WROE

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.