Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2008 12:30:11 -0600

839 
ATHW40 PHFO 011830
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
1830 UTC FRI FEB 01 2008

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 1800 UTC FEBRUARY 01 2008

WATER VAPOR IMAGERY PLACES A JET STREAM ALONG A LINE THROUGH 12N170W 
19N160W OAHU 23N150W. THE JET SEPARATES BROKEN HIGH LEVEL CIRRUS 
CLOUDS TO THE SOUTH FROM CLEAR SKIES TO THE NORTH. SATELLITE DERIVED 
CLOUD MOVEMENT SHOWS MAXIMUM WIND SPEEDS AT 100 TO 120 MPH TO THE 
NE. THE CIRRUS EXTENDS FAR SOUTH OF THE JET TO 05N LATITUDE WHERE AN 
EAST TO WEST ITCZ LAYS. THE JET IS ASSOCIATED WITH AN ENE TO WSW 
ORIENTED UPPER TROUGH RUNNING FROM AN UPPER LOW NEAR 26N146W TO 
25N160W AND 22N170W. THE TROUGH IS NEARLY STATIONARY WHILE THE LOW 
EMBEDDED IN THE TROUGH IS MOVING TO THE NE AT 15 MPH WITHIN THE 
TROUGH.

IN SPITE OF THE CIRRUS BLOCKING SOME OF THE LOW CLOUDS...THE FIRST 
VISIBLE IMAGERY SHOWS THREE BANDS OF BROKEN CUMULUS CLOUDS ORIENTED 
NE TO SW. ONE BAND EXTENDING FAR NE OF THE BIG ISLAND AND THE 
ALENUIHAHA CHANNEL HAS THE MOST ENHANCED CLOUDS WITH TOPS NEAR 15000 
FEET. THE OTHER TWO BANDS ARE LOCATED OVER NORTH OAHU AND NE OF 
KAUAI...BOTH OF WHICH HAVING CLOUD TOPS UP TO 9000 FEET. WEATHER 
RADAR SHOWS THAT THE THREE BANDS ARE PACKING SHOWERS...WITH FEWER 
SHOWERS WHERE THERE ARE FEWER CLOUDS ACROSS MAUI COUNTY. ALL OF THE 
CLOUDS AND SHOWERS ARE MOVING TO THE SE AT A SWIFT 30 MPH.

AS FOR THE ISLANDS...LOW CLOUDS HAVE THE USUAL TRADE WIND COVERAGE 
WITH BROKEN TO OVERCAST CLOUDS OVER WINDWARD COASTAL AND WINDWARD 
MOUNTAIN SLOPES...AND SCATTERED TO BROKEN COVERAGE OVER LEEWARD 
SECTIONS. 

$$

CRAIG

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.