Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2008 12:03:49 -0600

750 
ATHW40 PHFO 131803
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
1800 UTC WED FEB 13 2008

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 1730 UTC FEBRUARY 13 2008

SKIES ARE PREDOMINANTLY CLEAR TO PARTLY CLOUDY OVER THE ALOHA STATE 
THIS MORNING.  OCCASIONAL LOW CEILINGS ARE OCCURRING...HOWEVER...IN 
WINDWARD COASTAL...MAUKA AND/OR WINDWARD UPSLOPE SECTIONS ON THE 
INDIVIDUAL ISLES.  THIS IS ESPECIALLY THE CASE ON OAHU AND THE BIG 
ISLAND AS OF BULLETIN TIME.  BROKEN TO OVERCAST LOW CLOUDS ARE ALSO 
EVIDENT OVER COASTAL AND LOWER UPSLOPE AREAS OF THE KONA DISTRICTS 
ON THE ISLAND OF HAWAII.  LOW CLOUD MOVEMENT IS FROM THE EAST/ 
NORTHEAST NEAR 20 MPH JUST EAST OF THE BIG ISLAND AND GRADUALLY 
VEERS TOWARD THE EAST NEAR 10 MPH MOVING UP THE CHAIN TO KAUAI.  

A FAIRLY SMALL AREA OF SCATTERED TO BROKEN LOW CLOUDS...ORIENTED 
WEST/NORTHWEST TO EAST/SOUTHEAST AND EMBEDDED WITH ISOLATED LIGHT 
SHOWERS...IS ABOUT TO MAKE LANDFALL IN WINDWARD COASTAL SECTIONS OF 
MAUI AND THE BIG ISLAND AS OF THIS WRITING.  ANOTHER SMALL AREA OF 
SCATTERED TO BROKEN LOW CLOUDINESS IS PASSING BY JUST NORTH OF 
OAHU.  CONDITIONS ARE OTHERWISE CLEAR TO SCATTERED IN THE ADJACENT 
COASTAL WATERS.

THE LEADING EDGE OF BROKEN TO OVERCAST LOW CLOUDS WITH A COLD FRONT 
IS APPROXIMATELY 475 MILES NORTH/NORTHWEST OF KAUAI AND IS MOVING 
TOWARD THE EAST NEAR 15 MPH.  HOWEVER...THE PORTION OF THE FRONT 
SOUTH OF 25N AND WEST OF 170W IS NEARLY STATIONARY.  IT APPEARS THAT 
MOST OF THE MORE INTENSE SURFACE WEATHER WITH THE BOUNDARY IS 
CURRENTLY WITHIN 60 MILES EITHER SIDE OF A LINE FROM 30N162.5W TO 
25.5N171W TO 24N180.  THE MOST RECENT SURFACE OBSERVATION FROM 
MIDWAY ATOLL...WHICH IS NORTH OF THE FRONT...SHOWS BROKEN MIDDLE 
LEVEL CLOUDS AND WINDS FROM THE SOUTHEAST NEAR 5 MPH.

IN THE UPPER AIR...WATER VAPOR IMAGERY AND GFS MODEL OUTPUT INDICATE 
A TROUGH AXIS ALONG A LINE FROM 25N140W TO 16N150W TO 10N155W.  THE 
TROUGH IS MOVING SLOWLY TOWARD THE SOUTH AND EAST.  ONLY LIMITED 
CONVECTION IS FIRING TO THE SOUTHEAST OF THE TROUGH AXIS SOUTH OF 
16N.

$$ 

KINEL

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.