Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Jan 2008 12:53:59 -0600

412 
ATHW40 PHFO 041853
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
1853 UTC FRI JAN 04 2008

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 1830 UTC JANUARY 04 2008

CLOUD COVERAGE HAS BECOME A LITTLE MORE SPARSE AROUND THE MAIN 
HAWAIIAN ISLANDS EARLY THIS MORNING AS COMPARED TO A FEW HOURS AGO. 
HOWEVER...AS OF 8 AM THERE WERE STILL SHOWERY BANDS OF BROKEN 
CUMULUS OVER THE KAUAI CHANNEL...AND EXTENDING EASTWARD FROM OAHU...
MOLOKAI AND MAUI. SMALLER CLUMPS OF BROKEN CUMULUS WERE LOCATED 
UPSTREAM OF KAUAI AND THE BIG ISLAND. MOST OF THIS CLOUDINESS IS 
BREAKING UP AS IT MOVES OVER THE ISLANDS...LEAVING GENERALLY 
SCATTERED SMALL LOW CLOUDS TO THE LEE OF THE ISLANDS FROM OAHU TO 
THE BIG ISLAND. MAINLY BROKEN SHOWERY LOW CLOUDS WERE ALSO PASSING 
SOUTHEAST OF THE BIG ISLAND...MAINLY SOUTHEAST OF A LINE FROM 20N 
150W TO 17N 160W. THESE CLOUDS APPEAR TO BE REMNANTS OF AN OLD 
SHEARLINE.

TO THE NORTH OF THE ISLANDS...A LARGE AREA OF BROKEN TO OVERCAST 
STABLE STRATOCUMULUS WAS LOCATED BETWEEN ABOUT 150W AND 174W NORTH 
OF 23N. SATELLITE SOUNDER DATA AND WATER VAPOR IMAGERY INDICATES 
THESE CLOUDS ARE UNDERNEATH A DRY AND STABLE AIRMASS...WITH A LARGE 
UPPER LEVEL ANTICYCLONE NEAR 26N 155W. 

THE FIRST LIGHT VISIBLE IMAGERY SHOWS BROKEN LOW CLOUDS BANKED OVER 
THE WINDWARD SLOPES OF KAUAI...AS WELL AS OVER INTERIOR OAHU AND THE 
KOOLAU MOUNTAIN RANGE. THERE WERE BROKEN LOW CLOUDS OVER THE EAST 
TIP OF MOLOKAI...OVER THE WEST MAUI MOUNTAINS...AND OVER THE EASTERN 
PART OF MAUI FROM HAIKU...TO HANA...TO KIPAHULU. LEE SIDES OF KAUAI 
AND MAUI HAD MOSTLY CLEAR SKIES...WITH SCATTERED CLOUDS ELSEWHERE 
OVER THE SMALLER ISLANDS. THE BIG ISLAND WAS STARTING THE DAY WITH 
CLEAR SKIES IN MOST AREAS. THERE WERE LOW CLOUDS BANKED AGAINST THE 
SLOPES FROM NEAR HAWI TO HONOKAA...AND OVER THE EASTERN TIP OF THE 
ISLAND EAST OF PAHOA. VISIBLE IMAGERY STILL SHOWED SOME SNOW COVER 
AT THE TOPS OF MAUNA LOA AND MAUNA KEA. LOW CLOUD MOTION WAS 
GENERALLY TOWARD THE SOUTHWEST AT ABOUT 20 MPH.

$$

RAB

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.