Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 12:30:11 -0600

537 
ATHW40 PHFO 191830
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
1830 UTC TUE FEB 19 2008

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 1800 UTC FEBRUARY 19 2008

HIGH PRESSURE OVER AND NEAR THE ISLANDS HAS DAMPENED MOST CLOUD 
FORMATION. ABOUT 99.9 PERCENT OF THE SKY WITHIN 400 MILES NORTHEAST 
OF THE MAIN ISLANDS IS CLEAR. THE .1 PERCENT CONSISTS OF ISOLATED 
CLOUDS EAST OF MAUI AND IMMEDIATELY NORTH OF THE KAUAI CHANNEL. 
SOUTH OF THE ISLANDS...SKIES ARE A LITTLE MORE CLOUDY...BUT NOT BY 
MUCH. ISOLATED CLOUDS ARE SEEN WITHIN 200 MILES SOUTH OF THE SMALLER 
ISLANDS WITH ABOUT 5 PERCENT CLOUD COVERAGE. 

CLOUDS ARE A BIT MORE NUMEROUS...BROKEN TO OVERCAST...FROM 100 TO 
225 MILES SOUTH-SOUTHWEST OF THE BIG ISLAND. A SECOND AREA OF BROKEN 
TO OVERCAST CLOUDS EXTENDS FROM 300 TO 425 MILES SOUTHWEST OF KAUAI. 
ADDITIONAL CLOUD CLUMPS CAN BE SEEN ABOUT 500 TO 800 MILES TO THE 
SOUTHWEST OF THE MAIN ISLANDS.

EXCEPT FOR CLOUDS OVER THE EAST END OF MAUI SOUTH OF HANA AND OVER 
PUNA ON THE BIG ISLAND...ISLAND SKIES ARE CLEAR. THERE IS STILL SNOW 
ON THE SUMMITS OF MAUNA KEA AND MAUNA LOA...AND INFRARED IMAGERY 
SHOWS A HOT SPOT WHERE THERE IS LAVA.

CLOUD TOPS ARE NEAR 5 THOUSAND FEET. A FEW CLOUDS IN A SECOND LAYER 
HAVE BASES NEAR 8 THOUSAND AND TOPS NEAR 10 THOUSAND FEET. THE 
CLOUDS ARE MOVING TO THE NORTHWEST AT ABOUT 5 MPH. 

FURTHER AFIELD...THE LEADING OR SOUTHEASTERN EDGE OF A COLD FRONT 
RUNS NORTHEAST TO SOUTHWEST ALONG A LINE THROUGH 30N165W 27N170W 
21N180. BROKEN TO OVERCAST CLOUDS EXTEND SOME 350 MILES TO THE 
NORTHWEST OF THE LEADING EDGE. TOPS ARE NEAR 11 THOUSAND FEET ALONG 
THE LEADING EDGE AND NEAR 5 THOUSAND FEET ELSEWHERE TO THE NORTHWEST.

NORTHEAST OF THE ISLANDS AND BEYOND THE CLEAR SKIES THERE ARE 
SCATTERED TO BROKEN LOW CLOUDS WITH BROKEN CIRRUS CLOUDS ABOVE. THE 
LOW CLOUDS ARE MOVING SLOWLY TO THE SOUTH. THE HIGH CLOUDS...WHICH 
ARE SOUTH OF A 170 TO 200 KNOT JET STREAM LOCATED NORTH OF 30N...ARE 
MOVING TO THE SOUTHEAST AT 45 MPH.

$$

CRAIG

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.