Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2008 12:29:26 -0600

409 
ATHW40 PHFO 251829
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
1830 UTC FRI JAN 25 2008

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 1800 UTC JANUARY 25 2008

A LARGE LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM OFF THE WEST COAST...BETWEEN NORTHERN 
CALIFORNIA AND HAWAII...IS GENERATING A SIGNIFICANT AMOUNT OF LOW 
CLOUDS AROUND ITS CENTER.  MANY OF THESE CLOUDS WERE PEELING AWAY 
FROM THE LOW AND GETTING CAUGHT UP IN THE TRADE WIND FLOW AND HEADED 
WEST-SOUTHWEST TOWARD HAWAII.  SATELLITE IMAGERY SHOWS WAVE AFTER 
WAVE OF SCATTERED TO BROKEN BANDS OF LOW CLOUDS BETWEEN THE 
HAWAIIAN ISLANDS AND 30N 140W. 

ONE SUCH BAND WAS ABOUT 100 MILES NORTHEAST AND PARALLEL TO THE 
ISLAND CHAIN.  THESE CLOUDS APPEARED QUITE SHOWERY AS THEY MOVED 
UNDER THE BASE OF AN UPPER TROUGH AND A JET STREAM NORTHEAST OF THE 
STATE.  THE LOW CLOUD MOVEMENT WITHIN THIS BAND WAS WEST AT NEARLY 
25 MILES AN HOUR. 

CURRENTLY MAINLY PATCHES OF SCATTERED CUMULUS CLOUDS IMMEDIATELY 
SURROUND THE HAWAIIAN ISLANDS.  SOME BROKEN LOW CLOUDS WERE ALONG 
THE WINDWARD COAST OF THE BIG ISLAND...BUT ELSEWHERE FEW LOW CLOUDS 
EXISTED.  

A NARROW SWATH OF CIRRUS HAS STRETCHED SOUTHEASTWARD ACROSS KAUAI 
AND OAHU AND INTO THE KAIWI CHANNEL...JUST REACHING MOLOKAI.  THESE 
HIGH CLOUDS WERE BEING GENERATED BY AN UPPER TROUGH AND LOW TO THE 
WEST.  THE TROUGH AXIS EXTEND DOWN THROUGH 30N 172W TO AND UPPER LOW 
NEAR 24N 175W.

BROKEN TO OVERCAST MULTI-LAYERED CLOUDINESS ASSOCIATED WITH THE 
UPPER TROUGH FILLED MUCH OF THE AREA BETWEEN 165W AND 170W...NORTH 
OF 20N. ISOLATED THUNDERSTORMS WERE ALSO EMBEDDED WITHIN THIS 
AREA...SOME OF THEM EXTENDING FURTHER SOUTH IN THE AREA BETWEEN 30N 
169W AND 17N 173W.  STRONGER SCATTERED THUNDERSTORMS WERE FORMING 
WITHIN 300 MILES NORTHEAST AND 175 MILES EAST AND SOUTHEAST OF THE 
UPPER LOW.

$$

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.