Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2008 06:00:21 -0600

019 
ATHW40 PHFO 011200
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
1200 UTC FRI FEB 01 2008

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 1130 UTC FEBRUARY 01 2008

WATER VAPOR IMAGERY AND GFS MODEL OUTPUT INDICATE A JET STREAM 
FLOWING ALONG A LINE FROM 12N170W TO 18N160W TO JUST OVER THE BIG 
ISLAND TO 23N140W.  THE JET IS CARRYING VARYING AMOUNTS OF HIGH 
LEVEL CIRRUS FROM THE DEEP TROPICS OVER THE STATE FROM OAHU TO THE 
BIG ISLAND.  THESE ELEMENTS ARE PART OF A LARGER AREA OF CLOUDINESS 
THAT EXTENDS FAR TO THE SOUTH OF THE ALOHA STATE.  THE JET IS 
ASSOCIATED WITH AN UPPER TROUGH THAT EXISTS OVER THE CENTRAL NORTH 
PACIFIC...WHOSE EAST/NORTHEAST-TO-WEST/SOUTHWEST ORIENTED AXIS IS 
ROUGHLY ALONG A LINE FROM 30N143W TO A LOW NEAR 26N150W TO 26N160W 
TO 22N170W.  THE TROUGH IS NEARLY STATIONARY...WHILE THE LOW 
EMBEDDED WITHIN THE TROUGH APPEARS TO BE MOVING TOWARD THE EAST/ 
NORTHEAST AT 10 TO 15 MPH.

AS WAS THE CASE LAST EVENING...BROKEN TO OVERCAST LOW CLOUDS WITH 
ACCOMPANYING SHOWERS ARE CONCENTRATED IN WINDWARD COASTAL...MAUKA 
AND WINDWARD UPSLOPE SECTIONS ON THE INDIVIDUAL ISLES.  RADAR AND 
SATELLITE DATA SHOW WINDWARD AREAS OF THE BIG ISLAND AND MAUI HAVE 
BEEN SEEING THE MOST SHOWER ACTIVITY OVER THE PAST SEVERAL HOURS... 
THOUGH NO ISLAND HAS BEEN TOTALLY PRECIPITATION FREE.  BROKEN LOW 
CLOUDINESS AND SHOWERS HAVE BEEN IMPACTING LEEWARD PORTIONS OF THE 
SMALLER ISLES AND WEST MAUI FROM TIME TO TIME AS WELL.  BELOW THE 
HIGH CLOUDS...RADAR RETURNS SHOW LITTLE IN THE WAY OF LOW CLOUDS OR 
SHOWERS IN LEEWARD AREAS OF EAST MAUI AND THE BIG ISLAND AS OF 
BULLETIN TIME.  LOW CLOUD MOTION IS FROM THE EAST/NORTHEAST 
STATEWIDE...NEAR 25 MPH JUST UPWIND OF THE BIG ISLAND AND RISING TO 
OVER 35 MPH MOVING UP THE CHAIN TO KAUAI.

SCATTERED TO OCCASIONALLY BROKEN...ENHANCED...SHOWERY LOW CLOUDS ARE 
THE RULE UPWIND OF THE STATE.  HIGH CLOUDS ARE PRODUCING CEILINGS 
SOUTH OF HAWAII FROM OAHU TO THE BIG ISLAND...THOUGH RADAR DATA 
INDICATE ONLY VERY ISOLATED SHOWERS SOUTH AND SOUTHWEST OF ALL THE 
ISLANDS...INCLUDING KAUAI...THUS IMPLYING CLEAR TO SCATTERED 
CONDITIONS BELOW THE HIGHER CLOUDS.

SHOWERS AND ISOLATED THUNDERSTORMS CONTINUE TO IGNITE FAR SOUTH OF 
THE ALOHA STATE ALONG THE INTERTROPICAL CONVERGENCE ZONE...ITCZ.  
MOST OF THE CONVECTION IS FOUND FROM 06N TO 11N BETWEEN 150W AND 
178W. MUCH OF THE HIGH CLOUDINESS AFFECTING THE ISLANDS THIS EARLY 
MORNING IS DEBRIS FROM THE THUNDERSTORMS OCCURRING WELL SOUTH AND 
SOUTHWEST OF THE ISLANDS ALONG THE ITCZ.

$$

KINEL

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.