Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Jan 2008 18:49:08 -0600

904 
ATHW40 PHFO 050049
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
0046 UTC SAT JAN 5 2008

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 0030 UTC JANUARY 5 2008

SATELLITE IMAGERY THROUGH 2 PM THIS AFTERNOON SHOWED THERE WAS STILL 
SOME LINGERING SHOWERY CLOUDINESS OVER AND UPSTREAM FROM OAHU AND 
MAUI COUNTY. THESE BROKEN TO SCATTERED CLOUDS EXTENDING EAST-
NORTHEAST THROUGH 22N 148W WHERE THE BAND TAPERS OFF TO A NARROW 
RIBBON OF MAINLY STABLE LOW CLOUDS. KAUAI AND THE BIG ISLAND HAD 
SMALL AREAS OF LOW CLOUDINESS ON WINDWARD SLOPES...BUT MANY AREAS 
HAD ONLY FEW TO SCATTERED LOW CLOUDS. LOW CLOUD MOTION NEAR THE 
ISLANDS WAS GENERALLY TOWARD THE WEST-SOUTHWEST AT 15 TO 20 MPH.

VISIBLE IMAGERY SHOWED BROKEN LOW CLOUDINESS OVER THE EASTERN HALF 
OF KAUAI. THE LEEWARD SIDE...AND MOST SHORELINE AREAS...HAD ONLY 
SCATTERED CUMULUS CLOUDS. ON OAHU...LOW CLOUDS WERE MORE PREVALENT 
WITH BROKEN CEILINGS OVER THE KOOLAU MOUNTAIN RANGE...SOUTHEAST TIP 
AROUND MAKAPUU...AND CENTRAL VALLEY. THE NORTH AND WEST SHORES HAD 
GENERALLY JUST SCATTERED LOW CLOUDS. LOW CLOUDS WERE CAPPING THE 
EASTERN TIP OF MOLOKAI...THE WEST MAUI MOUNTAINS...AND JUST STARTING 
TO DEVELOP OVER THE MIDDLE SLOPES OF HALEAKALA. ELSEWHERE OVER MAUI 
COUNTY THERE WERE SCATTERED CLOUDS. ON THE BIG ISLAND...PERSISTENT 
LOW CLOUDS WERE STILL ANCHORED OVER THE LOWER SLOPES FROM HAWI TO 
NEAR PAAUILO. UPSLOPE CLOUDINESS WAS ALSO DEVELOPING FROM PAHALA TO 
10 MILES SOUTH WEST OF NAALEHU...AND FROM HAWAIIAN OCEAN VIEW 
ESTATES NORTHWARD TO PUUANAHULU. THERE WERE MAINLY LOW CLOUDS OVER 
THE SLOPES FROM PEPEEKEO TO PAHOA AND VOLCANO.

TO THE NORTH OF THE ISLANDS...A LARGE AREA OF BROKEN TO OVERCAST 
STABLE STRATOCUMULUS WAS LOCATED BETWEEN ABOUT 150W AND 174W NORTH 
OF 23N. SATELLITE SOUNDER DATA AND WATER VAPOR IMAGERY INDICATES 
THESE CLOUDS ARE UNDERNEATH A DRY AND STABLE AIRMASS...WITH A LARGE 
UPPER LEVEL ANTICYCLONE NEAR 26N 155W. 

$$

RAB

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.