Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 23:30:09 -0600

615 
ATHW40 PHFO 220530
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
0530 UTC TUE JAN 22 2008

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 0500 UTC JANUARY 22 2008

A RAGGED 300 MILE WIDE BAND OF OVERCAST LAYERED CLOUDS CENTERED 
ALONG A LINE FROM 45N156W TO 32N159W TO 30N169W MARKS A COLD FRONT 
MOVING ACROSS THE CENTRAL NORTH PACIFIC. THIS CLOUD BAND BECOMES 600 
MILES WIDE WEST OF 170W...COVERING SKIES FROM 25N TO 33N. THAT 
PORTION OF THE CLOUD BAND NORTH OF 30N IS MOVING TOWARDS THE EAST AT 
15 MPH WHILE THAT PORTION SOUTH OF 30N IS NEARLY STATIONARY. THE 
LEADING EDGE OF THIS CLOUD BAND IS ABOUT 610 MILES NORTHWEST OF 
KAUAI.

A BROAD ANTICYCLONIC CIRCULATION SOUTHEAST OF THE LAYERED CLOUD BAND 
IS CENTERED ROUGHLY ALONG AN AXIS FROM 40N150W TO 29N160W. THE MAIN 
HAWAIIAN ISLANDS ARE SOUTH OF THIS AXIS...WITHIN A BROAD BELT OF 
EASTERLY TRADE WINDS. WATER VAPOR LOOP SHOWS AN UPPER TROUGH LIES 
EAST OF THE ISLANDS...WITH AN AXIS EXTENDING THROUGH 35N144W AND 
30N154W. BREAKAWAY CIRRUS FROM THE LAYERED CLOUD BAND IS MOVING 
SOUTH SOUTHEASTWARD DOWN THE WESTERN FLANK OF THIS UPPER 
TROUGH...PASSING JUST NORTHEAST OF THE ISLANDS. MORE CIRRUS ALONG 
THE EASTERN FLANK OF THE UPPER TROUGH IS NOTED 600 MILES EAST OF THE 
BIG ISLAND. 

SATELLITE LOOPS SHOW LOW CLOUDS MOVING ACROSS HAWAIIAN WATERS 
TOWARDS THE WEST AT 25 MPH. PATCHY BROKEN LOW CLOUDS LIE ACROSS 
WINDWARD WATERS FROM THE BIG ISLAND TO OAHU...AFFECTING WINDWARD 
SHORES AND SLOPES. BROKEN TO OVERCAST LOW CLOUDS COVER MAUKA AREAS 
OF KAUAI AND THE EASTERN THIRD OF OAHU. THE EASTERN TIP OF MOLOKAI 
AND WINDWARD HALEAKALA SLOPES OF MAUI ALSO HAVE BROKEN TO OVERCAST 
LOW CLOUDS. LANAI HAS SCATTERED LOW CLOUDS. BROKEN TO OVERCAST LOW 
CLOUDS CLING TO KONA SLOPES OF THE BIG ISLAND FROM MILOLII TO 
KAILUA-KONA AT THIS HOUR...BUT HAVE DECREASED OVER THE PAST FEW 
HOURS. ALL WINDWARD SLOPES OF THE BIG ISLAND HAVE BROKEN TO OVERCAST 
LOW CLOUDS...WRAPPING AROUND CAPE KUMUKAHI TO APUA POINT. LEEWARD 
WATERS ARE MOSTLY CLEAR. 

$$

POWELL

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.