Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2008 23:25:07 -0600

204 
ATHW40 PHFO 080525
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
0530 UTC TUE JAN 08 2008

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 0500 UTC JANUARY 08 2008

NORTHWEST OF THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS...A BAND OF DENSE LAYERED 
CLOUDS WITH A FEW TOWERING CUMULI EXTENDED ACROSS THE OCEAN WITHIN 
160 MILES OF THE LINE FROM 23N 180W TO 30N 168W AND FURTHER 
SOUTHWEST AND NORTHEAST. THIS FEATURE...WHICH WAS ASSOCIATED WITH A 
FRONT...MOVED TOWARD THE EAST SOUTHEAST AT 5 TO 10 MILES AN HOUR. 
COLD-AIR CUMULUS CLOUDS PREVAILING TO THE NORTHWEST OF THIS BAND 
MERGED INTO A LOOSE SECONDARY CLOUD BAND ORIENTED FROM SOUTHWEST TO 
NORTHEAST ACROSS MIDWAY ISLAND.

TO THE SOUTH...LIGHT THUNDERSTORM ACTIVITY CONTINUED IN THE ITCZ 
BETWEEN ABOUT 11N AND 04N. LAYERED HIGH TO MIDDLE DEBRIS CLOUDS FROM 
THIS CONVECTION PARTLY TO MOSTLY OBSCURED LOWER CLOUD FEATURES 
BETWEEN ABOUT 13N AND 02N.

TO THE NORTHEAST OF THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS...A LOOSE BAND OF 
CUMULUS AND STRATOCUMULUS CLOUDS WAS LOCATED WITHIN 75 MILES OF THE 
CURVE FROM 27N 156W TO 25N 155W TO 23N 152W TO 22N 142W TO 20N 140W 
AND FURTHER SOUTHEAST. THIS FEATURE DRIFTED NORTH SLOWLY. AN AREA OF 
NEARLY SOLID LOW OVERCAST LOCATED EAST OF THE CURVE FROM 29N 140W 
TO 26N 147W TO 23N 140W ALSO DRIFTED NORTH SLOWLY.

OTHERWISE...CLOUD COVER ACROSS HAWAIIAN WATERS WAS SPARSE...AND 
CONSISTED MAINLY OF INDIVIDUAL CUMULI...OCCASIONALLY MERGING INTO 
LOOSE CLUMPS. THESE CLOUDS GENERALLY ROSE TO HEIGHTS OF 6000 TO 7000 
FEET. SOUTH OF ABOUT 18N THEY MOVED TOWARD THE WEST SOUTHWEST... 
WHILE NORTH OF ABOUT 25N THEY MOVED TOWARD THE NORTH TO NORTHEAST. 
IN BETWEEN...THESE CLOUDS CURVED FROM SOUTHWEST TO NORTH. IN MOST 
CASES THEY MOVED AT SPEEDS OF ABOUT 15 MILES AN HOUR.

ACROSS THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS...CLOUD COVER CONSISTED MOSTLY OF 
MIXED DEBRIS CLOUDS FROM DAYTIME CUMULUS BUILDUPS OVER HIGHER 
TERRAIN...THOUGH THESE CLOUDS STARTED TO DISSIPATE RAPIDLY AFTER 
SUNSET. AREAS WITH THE GREATEST CLOUD COVER WERE LIMITED MAINLY TO 
NORTH CENTRAL KAUAI...BOTH MOUNTAIN RANGES AND THE NORTH COAST ON 
OAHU...THE CENTRAL HIGHLANDS OF LANAI...THE WEST MAUI MOUNTAINS... 
MIDDLE SLOPES OF HALEAKALA ON MAUI...MOST MIDDLE SLOPES OF THE BIG 
ISLAND BELOW THE ALTITUDE OF ABOUT 5500 FEET...AND THE WEST COAST OF 
THE BIG ISLAND. ALL THESE LOWER CLOUDS GENERALLY ROSE TO HEIGHTS OF 
AROUND 6000 FEET. A FEW SCRAPS OF CLOUD WERE PRESENT OVER THE 
SUMMITS OF MAUNA KEA AND MAUNA LOA...THOUGH THESE DID NOT OBSCURE 
THE SNOW CAPS ON THE SUMMITS MUCH.

$$

RYSHKO

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.