Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 18:29:12 -0600

135 
ATHW40 PHFO 220029
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
0030 UTC TUE JAN 22 2008

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 0000 UTC JANUARY 22 2008

A BROAD FIELD OF SCATTERED TO BROKEN LOW CLOUDS IS MOVING WESTWARD 
IN MODERATE TRADE WIND FLOW. THIS FIELD OF LOW CLOUDS EXTENDS WELL 
UPSTREAM OF THE ISLANDS. THESE CLOUDS ARE SHOWERY IN APPEARANCE AND 
ARE SEEN MOVING INTO THE WINDWARD SIDES OF MOST OF THE MAIN HAWAIIAN 
ISLANDS. CLOUD TOPS ARE ESTIMATED TO BE UP TO AROUND 9000 FEET. 

LOW CLOUD COVERAGE DID VARY FROM ISLAND TO ISLAND. OVER ON KAUAI 
BROKEN LOW CLOUDS ARE COVERING MUCH OF THE ISLAND WITH A FEW BREAKS 
OVER SOUTHERN AND WESTERN COASTAL AREAS. ON OAHU LOW CLOUDS ARE 
BANKED UP OVER THE SLOPES AND SUMMITS OF BOTH THE KOOLAU AND WAIANAE 
MOUNTAIN RANGES WITH JUST A FEW SCATTERED LOW CLOUDS SEEN ELSEWHERE. 
BROKEN LOW CLOUDS ARE COVERING EASTERN THIRD OF MOLOKAI WITH JUST A 
FEW PATCHES SEEN OVER INTERIOR SECTIONS OF LANAI. OVER ON MAUI LOW 
CLOUDS ARE BANKED UP OVER THE SLOPES OF HALEAKALA WITH LOW CLOUDS 
ALSO SEEN OVER THE SLOPES AND SUMMITS OF THE WEST MAUI MOUNTAINS. 
OVER ON THE BIG ISLAND LOW CLOUDS ARE BANKED UP OVER THE LOWER 
WINDWARD SLOPES FROM NORTH KOHALA SOUTHWARD THROUGH THE PUNA 
DISTRICT. DAYTIME HEATING HAS CAUSED LOW CLOUDS TO BUILD UP OVER THE 
LOWER AND MIDDLE SLOPES OF THE KONA AND KAU DISTRICTS. 

WATER VAPOR IMAGERY SHOWS AN NORTHEAST THROUGH SOUTHWEST ORIENTED 
UPPER LEVEL TROUGH LOCATED TO THE NORTH NORTHEAST OF THE ISLANDS. 
THIS UPPER TROUGH HAS BEEN MOVING SOUTHWARD OVER THE PAST SEVERAL 
HOURS. FAR TO THE WEST AND NORTHWEST OF THE STATE LIES A BROAD 
FIELD OF LAYERED CLOUDS THAT ARE STREAMING TOWARD THE NORTHEAST IN 
ASSOCIATION WITH A BROAD UPPER TROUGH CENTERED FAR TO THE NORTHWEST 
OF THE ISLANDS.   

$$

BURKE

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.