Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2008 18:28:36 -0600

400 
ATHW40 PHFO 180028
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
0030 UTC MON FEB 18 2008

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 0000 UTC FEBRUARY 18 2008

A WEAK FRONT NORTH OF THE ISLANDS STRETCHED SOUTHWEST THROUGH 30N 
151W TO 26N 157W TO 26N 170W TO A WEAK LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM NEAR 24N 
177W.  ANOTHER WEAK SECONDARY FRONT EXTENDED THROUGH 30N 156W TO 
28N 158W.  

A WEAK RIDGE OF HIGH PRESSURE STRETCHED FROM EAST TO WEST 
IMMEDIATELY SOUTH OF THE BIG ISLAND THIS AFTERNOON.  BETWEEN THE 
RIDGE AND THE FRONT TO THE NORTH...SEVERAL LINES AND NARROW BANDS 
OF CLOUDS OF VARYING LENGTHS WERE ALIGNED IN GENERALLY A NORTHEAST 
TO SOUTHWEST MANNER.  THE FORMATION OF THESE CLOUD LINES AND BANDS 
WERE THE RESULT OF LOW LEVEL CONVERGENCE.
 
THESE LOW LEVEL CONVERGENCE LINES AND BANDS WERE MOST NOTICEABLE 
BETWEEN 20N AND 30N FROM 145W TO 153W.  ONE SUCH CONVERGENCE CLOUD 
BAND WAS CREATING SOME CLOUDINESS ACROSS THE CENTRAL PART OF THE 
ISLAND CHAIN.  SMALL CLUSTERS OF BROKEN LOW CLOUDS WERE AFFECTING 
MAINLY MAUI COUNTY AND OAHU AT 2 PM.  THE BIG ISLAND WAS MOSTLY 
CLOUDY ALSO DUE TO DAYTIME HEATING AND THE RESULTING CONVECTION 
OVER THE LAND MASS.  A GRAVITY WAVE THE JUST PASSED ACROSS KAUAI 
HAD CLEARED THE SKIES OVER THAT ISLAND FOR THE TIME BEING.  THE 
GRAVITY WAVE ALSO CLEARED OUT THE CLOUDS IN THE KAUAI CHANNEL AS IT 
HEADED FOR OAHU.

THE SPARSE PATCHES AND SMALL CLUSTERS OF LOW CLOUDS NEAR THE ISLANDS 
WERE MOVING NORTH NEAR THE BIG ISLAND AND NORTHEAST FROM KAUAI TO 
MAUI.  SPEED OF MOTION REMAINED GENERALLY UNDER 10 MILES AN HOUR.

$$ 

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.