Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2008 06:29:41 -0600

436 
ATHW40 PHFO 071229
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
1230 UTC THU FEB 7 2008

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 1200 UTC FEBRUARY 7 2008

AN AREA OF BROKEN TO OVERCAST LAYERED CLOUDS COVERS THE CENTRAL 
NORTH PACIFIC WITHIN AN AREA BOUNDED BY 24N145W...09N148W...10N157W 
AND 23N155W. OVERCAST HIGH CLOUDS EXTEND TO THE NORTHEAST OF THESE 
LAYERED CLOUDS...MAINLY FROM 24N AND 30N BETWEEN 142W AND 155W. 
ISOLATED CUMULONIMBUS...CB...LIE NEAR THE SOUTHERN EDGE OF THIS 
LAYERED CLOUD AREA...WITHIN AN AREA BOUNDED BY 12N150W...09N148W AND 
08N152W. ISOLATED CB ALSO PERSIST WEST OF THE LAYERED CLOUD AREA 250 
MILES SOUTHWEST OF THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS. EARLIER CB OVER THE 
KOOLAU RANGE ON OAHU HAVE DISSIPATED. OTHER CB PERSIST 90 TO 120 
MILES NORTHEAST OF MOLOKAI AND MAUI BUT APPEAR TO BE WEAKENING. THE 
LAYERED CLOUD AREA COVERS THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS FROM MAUI 
EASTWARD. HOWEVER...SOME THINNING OF THESE CLOUDS IS NOTED OVER THE 
PAST 24 HOURS AND THE WESTERN EDGE OF THE LAYERED CLOUDS HAS MOVED 
SLOWLY EASTWARD OVER THE PAST 6 HOURS.

WATER VAPOR LOOPS SHOW AN UPPER TROUGH ACROSS THE MAIN HAWAIIAN 
ISLANDS...WITH AN AXIS EXTENDING THROUGH 33N150W...30N154W AND 
18N158W. THE LAYERED CLOUD AREA MARKS THE EASTERN FLANK OF THIS 
UPPER TROUGH. THIS TROUGH APPEARS TO BE MOVING TOWARDS THE EAST 
AT 5 TO 10 MPH.

FARTHER TO THE NORTH...BROKEN TO OVERCAST LAYERED CLOUDS LIE NORTH 
AND WEST OF A LINE FROM 42N140W TO 40N150W TO 30N160W TO 27N180W. AN 
UPPER LOW IS NOTED NEAR 40N170W...WITH THE LAYERED CLOUDS MARKING 
EAST AND SOUTHEAST FLANKS OF THIS SYSTEM AS WELL AS A COLD FRONT TO 
THE WEST OF 170W. A LINE OF CB HAVE FORMED WITHIN THESE LAYERED 
CLOUDS...SPECIFICALLY WITHIN 30 NM OF A LINE FROM 40N161W TO 
28N168W.  

BROKEN TO OVERCAST LAYERED CLOUDS COMPLETELY BLOCK THE VIEW OF LOW 
CLOUDS ACROSS THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS FROM THE PAILOLO CHANNEL 
EASTWARD. MOLOKAI HAS BROKEN LOW CLOUDS ACROSS ITS EASTERN HALF. 
KAUAI AND OAHU HAVE BROKEN TO OVERCAST LOW CLOUDS ACROSS WINDWARD 
AND MAUKA AREAS. SATELLITE LOOPS SHOW LOW CLOUDS MOVING ACROSS 
HAWAIIAN WATERS TOWARDS THE WEST NORTHWEST AT 25 MPH NEAR KAUAI AND 
OAHU.

$$
POWELL

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.