Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2008 18:25:47 -0600

968 
ATHW40 PHFO 060025
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
0030 UTC WED FEB 6 2008

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 0000 UTC FEBRUARY 6 2008

A NEARLY STATIONARY UPPER LEVEL LOW 500 MILES SOUTHWEST OF KAUAI 
CONTINUES TO SEND A SHIELD OF BROKEN HIGH CLOUDS OVER THE MAIN 
HAWAIIAN ISLANDS AND IS CREATING UNSTABLE CONDITIONS OVER THE AREA. 

HIGH CLOUD COVER HAS THINNED OVER KAUAI AND OAHU BUT REMAINS RATHER 
THICK OVER MAUI COUNTY AND THE BIG ISLAND THIS AFTERNOON. A NARROW 
BAND OF SCATTERED TO BROKEN CUMULUS CLOUDS CAN BE SEEN RIDING IN ON 
THE TRADE WIND FLOW AND AFFECTING WINDWARD PORTIONS OF KAUAI AND 
OAHU...WHILE THESE CONDITIONS PERIODICALLY SPREAD TO LEEWARD 
SECTIONS. LOW CLOUD MOTIONS NORTH OF THESE ISLANDS ARE FROM THE EAST 
NORTHEAST AT 25 TO 30 MPH. LOW CLOUD COVER REMAINS OBSCURED OVER 
MAUI AND THE BIG ISLAND...BUT SATELLITE MICROWAVE IMAGERY...WHICH 
CAN SENSE THROUGH THE HIGH CLOUDS...DETECTS PRECIPITABLE WATER 
VALUES OF 1.5 INCHES NEAR KAUAI AND OAHU INCREASING TO 1.8 INCHES 
OVER THE EASTERN END OF THE STATE. THIS SUGGESTS THAT THE CLOUD BAND 
IS AFFECTING ALL ISLANDS.

THE UPPER LOW IS EMBEDDED WITHIN AN UPPER TROUGH THAT EXTENDS ACROSS 
THE CENTRAL PACIFIC ALONG 30N 155W...TO 22N 164W...TO THE UPPER LOW 
AT 17N 165W...TO 10N 167W. THE UPPER LOW IS TRIGGERING ISOLATED 
THUNDERSTORMS WITH TOPS TO 35 KFT EAST OF THE CENTER WITHIN 100 
MILES OF A LINE THROUGH 19N 162W...16N 161W...AND 11N 166W...AS WELL 
AS WITHIN THE NARROW BIG ISLAND PLUME WHICH STRETCHES 400 MILES WEST 
OF KAILUA KONA. THE UPPER LOW IS ALSO GENERATING THE SWATH OF HIGH 
CLOUDS ACROSS THE REGION. BROKEN TO OVERCAST CIRRUS COVER MOST OF 
THE AREA SOUTH OF 24N BETWEEN 164W AND 148W. TRANSVERSE BANDING 
WITHIN THE HIGH CLOUDS SOUTHWEST OF THE BIG ISLAND IS NOTED ON 
VISIBLE IMAGERY AND IS INDICATIVE OF TURBULENCE ALOFT.

ELSEWHERE...A COLD FRONT CONTINUES TO SKIRT JUST NORTH OF 30N 180. 
LOW CLOUD MOTIONS REVEAL A LOW LEVEL RIDGE OVER OR JUST TO THE 
SOUTH OF MIDWAY ATOLL.

$$
WROE

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.