Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 02 Feb 2008 12:45:26 -0600

132 
ATHW40 PHFO 021845
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
1830 UTC SAT FEB 02 2008

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 1800 UTC FEBRUARY 02 2008

WATER VAPOR IMAGERY SHOWS THAT THE UPPER LEVEL LOW THAT FORMED 
NORTHWEST OF KAUAI LAST NIGHT HAS DEEPENED WHILE MOVING TO THE WEST 
AT 10 MPH. THE LOW IS CENTERED NEAR 27N165W OR ABOUT 450 MILES 
NORTHWEST OF KAUAI. SCATTERED THUNDERSTORMS ARE LOCATED WITHIN 250 
MILES EAST THROUGH SOUTH OF THE LOW CENTER. ISOLATED THUNDERSTORMS 
ARE ALSO OCCURRING FROM 25 TO 100 MILES NORTHWEST OF KAUAI. BOTH 
THUNDERSTORM AREAS ARE ALSO MOVING TO THE WEST AT 10 MPH. 

A STATIONARY JET STREAM IS LOCATED EAST AND SOUTHEAST OF THE LOW... 
RUNNING ALONG A LINE FROM 10N166N TO OAHU TO 26N150W THEN TO THE 
EAST. THE JET CONTINUES TO DRAW CIRRUS CLOUDS FROM WELL SOUTH OF 
HAWAII NEAR 08N LATITUDE UP OVER AND TO WITHIN 500 MILES EAST OF THE 
BIG ISLAND. THE REST OF THE STATE IS CLEAR OF HIGH CLOUDS.

BROKEN OCCASIONALLY OVERCAST CLOUDS COVER THE SMALLER ISLANDS. THE
CLOUDS NORTH OF THESE ISLANDS CONSIST OF TOWERING CUMULUS WITH TOPS 
TO 17000 FEET AND ISOLATED THUNDERSTORMS WITH TOPS TO 34000 FEET. 
RADAR SHOWS MODERATE TO HEAVY RAIN FALLING FROM THESE CLOUDS. CLOUDS 
SOUTH OF THESE ISLANDS...THOUGH THE SAME IN COVERAGE...ARE MOSTLY 
CUMULUS WITH TOPS TO 10000 FEET AND ISOLATED TOWERING CUMULUS. THE 
CLOUDS ARE MOVING TO THE WEST NORTHWEST AT 25 MPH.

THE BIG ISLAND IS COVERED IN CLOUDS...EXCEPT FOR THE NORTH KONA AND 
KOHALA DISTRICTS WHERE SKIES ARE CLEAR. THE CIRRUS CLOUDS OBSCURE 
THE LOW CLOUDS BELOW...BUT SOME THUNDERSTORM TOPS ARE SEEN REACHING
38000 FEET OVER HILO. RADAR SHOWS HEAVY RAIN OVER THE HILO AND KAU 
COASTS. THE SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS ARE MOVING TO THE WEST 
NORTHWEST AT 25 TO 30 MPH OVER WATER THEN BECOMING STATIONARY OVER 
THE EASTERN SLOPES OF MAUNA KEA AND MAUNA LOA.

$$

CRAIG

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.