Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2008 23:30:09 -0600

842 
ATHW40 PHFO 140530
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
0530 UTC MON JAN 14 2008

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 0500 UTC JANUARY 14 2008

A 150 MILE WIDE CLOUD BAND ASSOCIATED WITH A COLD FRONT IS LOCATED 
OVER THE BIG ISLAND AND EXTENDS NORTHEAST 25N 147W...CONTINUING TO 
THE NORTHEAST THE CLOUD BAND WIDTH EXPANDS TO 250 MILES BY 30N. THE 
CLOUD BAND ALSO CONTINUES SOUTHWEST OF THE BIG ISLAND DECREASING IN 
WIDTH TO 50 MILES AS IT EXTENDS BACK TOWARDS THE DATELINE. FROM THE 
BIG ISLAND TO 25N...THE BAND IS COMPRISED OF OVERCAST CUMULUS /CU/ 
AND STRATOCUMULUS /SC/ WITH EMBEDDED ISOLATED TOWERING CUMULUS. FROM 
25N TO 30N...THE BAND IS COMPOSED OF LAYERED OVERCAST CLOUDS WITH 
SCATTERED EMBEDDED CUMULONIMBUS /CB/. BEHIND THE FRONT TO THE NORTH 
AND NORTHWEST AS FAR WEST AS 165W...SCATTERED TO OVERCAST LOW SC ARE 
RACING SOUTH AT 30 TO 40 MPH. WEST OF 165W...LOW BROKEN SC ARE 
MOVING WEST AT 15 TO 25 MPH.

SOUTHWEST OF THE ISLANDS...A STRONG SUBTROPICAL JET IS PRODUCING AN 
AREA OF BROKEN CIRRUS WITHIN 10N 20N AND 160W 170W. THE CIRRUS IS 
MOVING ALONG WITH THE JET TOWARD THE EAST AT 50 TO 70 MPH.

BETWEEN 10N AND 20N...LOW SCATTERED TO BROKEN SC ARE MOVING WEST TO 
SOUTHWEST AT 20 TO 30 MPH.

OVER THE ISLANDS...SKIES ARE BROKEN WITH LOW SC OVER MUCH OF THE 
SMALLER ISLANDS WITH SOUTHERN LEEWARD LOCATION BEING THE CLEAREST 
WITH JUST SCATTERED SC. ON THE BIG ISLAND NORTH AND SOUTHERN COASTS 
UP TO 5 THOUSAND FEET ARE OVERCAST WITH SC WHILE EAST AND WEST AREAS 
ARE MOSTLY CLEAR. THE SUMMITS OF HALEAKALA AND MAUNA KEA AND LOA ARE 
CLEAR.

$$

MORRISON

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.