Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2008 23:26:35 -0600

036 
ATHW40 PHFO 140526
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
0530 UTC THU FEB 14 2008

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 0500 UTC FEBRUARY 14 2008

A FRONTAL CLOUD BAND JUST NORTH OF THE STATE WAS BECOMING MORE 
DIFFUSE.  HIGH CLOUDS WERE SPREADING OUT ALONG THE FRONT...MAKING 
THE BAND LOOK MORE RAGGED IN APPEARANCE AND MAKING THE LOWER CLOUDS 
BENEATH THEM MORE DIFFICULT TO OBSERVE.  SOME OF THE CIRRUS CLOUDS 
SPREADING SOUTH OF THE MAIN FRONTAL BAND WERE JUST REACHING KAUAI.  
THE FRONT IS EXPECTED TO LIFT NORTHEASTWARD AND NOT IMPACT THE STATE.

A RIDGE OF HIGH PRESSURE EXTENDING SOUTHWEST TO ABOUT 150 MILES 
NORTH OF KAUAI REMAINS INTACT.  LOW CLOUDS FLOWING ALONG THE RIDGE 
INTO THE HAWAIIAN ISLANDS WERE RELATIVELY SPARSE.  LOW CLOUDS WERE 
FLOWING IN A CLOCKWISE CURVATURE AROUND THE RIDGE. LOW CLOUD MOTION
JUST SOUTH OF THE BIG ISLANDS WAS TOWARD THE WEST-SOUTHWEST NEAR 17 
MILES AN HOUR.  THOSE LOW CLOUDS JUST EAST OF THE CHAIN FROM MAUI TO 
KAUAI WERE MOVING WEST AT 12 TO 15 MILES AN HOUR.  

LOW CLOUDINESS WAS SPREADING OUT OVER THE BIG ISLAND AND NEAR KAUAI 
EARLY THIS EVENING BUT MOST OF THESE CLOUDS WERE RESIDUAL CLOUDINESS 
FROM DAYTIME CONVECTION. WITH LIGHT WINDS...THESE CLOUDS ARE 
EXPECTED TO DIMINISH OVERNIGHT.

WATER VAPOR IMAGERY SHOWED AN UPPER LOW NEAR 25N 140W OR ABOUT 990 
MILES EAST-NORTHEAST OF HILO.  THE LOW WAS DRIFTING SLOWLY WEST.  
UPPER TROUGHING ASSOCIATED WITH THE LOW EXTENDED SOUTHWEST THROUGH 
20N 150W TO NEAR 10N 160W.  LARGE STRANDS OF BROKEN TO OVERCAST 
CIRRUS OCCUPIED A 400 MILES WIDE AREA CENTERED BETWEEN 13N 140W AND 
06N 151W.  THE CIRRUS WAS FLOWING NORTHEAST WITH A JET STREAM.
ISOLATED THUNDERSTORMS WERE FORMING IN THE VICINITY OF 08N 140W.

$$ 

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.