Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 05 Jan 2008 06:30:10 -0600

285 
ATHW40 PHFO 051230
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
1230 UTC SAT JAN 05 2008

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 1200 UTC JANUARY 05 2008

CLOUD COVER AROUND THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS HAS DECREASED OVER THE 
PAST 7 HOURS. THERE ARE BROKEN TO OVERCAST LOW CLOUDS OVER CENTRAL 
KAUAI...THE NORTHEAST TWO THIRDS OF OAHU...EAST MOLOKAI...WINDWARD 
WEST MAUI FROM LIPOA POINT TO WAIHEE AND WINDWARD EAST MAUI FROM 
MAKAWAO TO HANA. CLOUDS ARE SCATTERED ELSEWHERE OVER THE ISLANDS 
FROM KAUAI TO MAUI. ON THE BIG ISLAND OF HAWAII...THERE ARE BROKEN 
TO OVERCAST LOW CLOUDS ALONG THE WINDWARD COAST FROM UPOLU POINT TO 
VOLCANO AND OVER THE KONA SLOPES FROM ABOVE MILOLII TO ABOVE 
KAILUA-KONA. CLOUDS ARE ISOLATED ELSEWHERE ON THE BIG ISLAND. THE 
CLOUDS NEAR THE ISLANDS ARE A MIX OF STABLE STRATOCUMULUS...SC... 
AND SHOWERY CUMULUS...CU.

LOW CLOUD MOTIONS NEAR THE ISLANDS ARE FROM THE EAST NORTHEAST AT 
20 TO 25 MPH. THERE ARE BROKEN TO OVERCAST LOW CLOUDS UPSTREAM OF 
THE ISLANDS FROM THE BIG ISLAND TO MAUI AND RADARS SHOW SCATTERED 
MODERATE SHOWERS FALLING FROM THESE CLOUDS. THERE ARE SCATTERED TO 
BROKEN LOW CLOUDS UPSTREAM OF OAHU AND KAUAI AND RADARS SHOW 
ISOLATED LIGHT SHOWERS FALLING FROM THESE CLOUDS.

THERE IS A LARGE AREA OF STABLE...BROKEN TO OVERCAST SC NORTHEAST OF 
A LINE FROM 24N 140W TO 60 MILES NORTH OF KAUAI TO 30N 160W. THERE 
ARE LESS STABLE CU AND SC CLOUDS FARTHER SOUTHWEST. 

WATER VAPOR IMAGERY...WHICH SHOWS FEATURES MAINLY ABOVE 24000 
FEET...SHOWS AN ANTICYCLONE ALOFT 530 MILES NORTHEAST OF MAUI NEAR 
27N 152W. THE ANTICYCLONE HAS BEEN MOVING EAST AT 10 MPH. A TROUGH 
ALOFT CENTERED FROM 29N 174W TO 30N 175W HAS BEEN MOVING TOWARD THE 
EAST AT 25 MPH. AN AREA OF BROKEN TO OVERCAST HIGH...CIRRUS...CLOUDS
IS WEST AND SOUTH OF A LINE FROM 16N 163W TO 25N 169W TO 19N 180. 
THIS CLOUD AREA HAS BEEN NEARLY STATIONARY AND HAS THINNED OVER THE 
PAST 7 HOURS.

$$
DONALDSON

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.