Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2008 06:02:05 -0600

591 
ATHW40 PHFO 081202
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
1230 UTC TUE JAN 08 2008

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 1200 UTC JANUARY 08 2008

NORTHWEST OF THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS...A BAND OF DENSE LAYERED 
CLOUDS WITH A FEW EMBEDDED TOWERING CUMULI EXTENDED ACROSS THE OCEAN 
WITHIN 105 MILES OF THE CURVE FROM 21N 180W TO 26N 170W TO 30N 166W 
AND FURTHER SOUTHWEST AND NORTHEAST. THIS FEATURE...WHICH WAS 
ASSOCIATED WITH A FRONT...MOVED TOWARD THE SOUTHEAST AT AROUND 10 
MILES AN HOUR. COLD-AIR CUMULUS CLOUDS PREVAILED TO THE NORTHWEST OF 
THIS BAND.

TO THE SOUTH...LIGHT THUNDERSTORM ACTIVITY CONTINUED IN THE ITCZ 
BETWEEN ABOUT 13N AND 05N. LAYERED HIGH TO MIDDLE DEBRIS CLOUDS FROM 
THIS CONVECTION PARTLY TO MOSTLY OBSCURED LOWER CLOUD FEATURES 
BETWEEN ABOUT 15N AND 02N.

TO THE EAST OF THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS...AN AREA OF NEARLY SOLID 
LOW OVERCAST WAS LOCATED EAST OF THE CURVE FROM 26N 140W TO 25N 146W 
TO 18N 153W TO 15N 149W TO 15N 140W. FURTHER WEST BUT STILL 
NORTHEAST OF THE ISLANDS...FRAGMENTS OF A DISSIPATED CLOUD BAND 
FORMED LOOSE CLUMPS OF STRATOCUMULI UP TO ABOUT 500 MILES LONG AND 
270 MILES WIDE.

OTHERWISE...CLOUD COVER ACROSS HAWAIIAN WATERS WAS SPARSE...AND 
CONSISTED MAINLY OF INDIVIDUAL CUMULI. THESE CLOUDS GENERALLY ROSE 
TO HEIGHTS OF 6000 TO 7000 FEET. SOUTH OF ABOUT 19N THEY MOVED 
TOWARD THE WEST SOUTHWEST...WHILE NORTH OF ABOUT 25N THEY MOVED 
TOWARD THE NORTH TO NORTHEAST. IN BETWEEN...THESE CLOUDS CURVED FROM 
SOUTHWEST TO NORTH. IN MOST CASES THEY MOVED AT AROUND 15 MILES AN 
HOUR.

ACROSS THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS...CLOUD COVER ALSO WAS QUITE 
SPARSE...CONSISTING MOSTLY OF THE MARINE CLOUDS MOVING ASHORE ALONG 
SLOPES FACING THE SOUTHEAST...CHIEFLY ON THE BIG ISLAND. THESE 
CLOUDS GENERALLY ROSE TO HEIGHTS OF AROUND 6000 FEET. RADAR DATA 
FROM NEAR THE ISLANDS SHOWED LITTLE PRECIPITATION.

$$

RYSHKO

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.