Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 12:47:17 -0600

165 
ATHW40 PHFO 181837
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
1830 UTC FRI JAN 18 2008

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 1800 UTC JANUARY 18 2008

THUNDERSTORMS ARE CURRENTLY LOCATED JUST OFF THE KAU COAST...OVER 
THE NORTHERN BIG ISLAND WATERS...AND 100 MILES SOUTHEAST OF KONA. 
THESE THUNDERSTORMS ARE BEING SPURNED ON BY AN UPPER LEVEL TROUGH 
WITH A NORTH SOUTH AXIS LOCATED NEAR KAUAI. A 175 MILE WIDE CLOUD 
BAND ASSOCIATED WITH THE TROUGH...INCLUDING THE AFOREMENTIONED 
THUNDERSTORMS...CROSSES 30N AT 152W. CUMULONIMBUS /CB/ NEAR THE BIG 
ISLAND HAVE CLOUD TOPS REACHING 40 THOUSAND FEET.

EAST OF THE CLOUD BAND...OUT TO 140W...BROKEN TO OVERCAST 
STRATOCUMULUS /SC/ AND STRATUS CLOUDS ARE MOVING 20 MPH TOWARD THE 
WEST.

ANOTHER CLOUD BAND RUNS DIRECTLY UNDER THE UPPER LEVEL TROUGH...AND 
OVER KAUAI. ISOLATED CB/S ARE LOCATED AT THE SOUTHERN END OF THE 
BAND NEAR 18N 162W. SCATTERED CUMULUS AND TOWERING CUMULUS /TCU/ RUN 
AS FAR NORTH AS 24N 159W.

OVER OAHU AND MAUI COUNTY...SKIES ARE BROKEN WITH STATOCUMULUS OVER 
WINDWARD LOCATIONS WITH MOSTLY CLEAR SKIES ON THE LEEWARD SIDES.

A SOUTHWEST TO NORTHEAST CLOUD BAND ASSOCIATED WITH A COLD FRONT IS 
MOVING 30 MPH TOWARD THE EAST FAR NORTHWEST OF ISLANDS...OR ALONG 
THE LINE FROM 25N 180 TO 30N 168W. THE BAND IS MADE UP OF OVERCAST 
LAYERED CLOUDS WITH ISOLATED EMBEDDED CB.

AHEAD OF THE COLD FRONT BETWEEN 160W AND 170W LOW SCATTERED SC ARE 
MOVING NORTHWEST TO NORTH AT 25 MPH.

LOW SC CLOUDS BETWEEN 10N AND 20N FROM 140W TO 180 ARE MOVING WEST 
AT 10 TO 20 MPH. SCATTERED CB AND TCU ASSOCIATED WITH THE ITCZ HAVE 
MOVED AS FAR NORTH AS 14N BETWEEN 150W AND 160W.

$$

MORRISON

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.