Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 12:35:41 -0600

701 
ATHW40 PHFO 291835
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
1830 UTC TUE JAN 29 2008

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 1800 UTC JANUARY 29 2008

AN UPPER LEVEL LOW APPROACHING THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS FROM THE 
NORTHEAST IS ENHANCING CLOUDS WITHIN THE FRESH TRADE WIND FLOW.

THE UPPER LOW IS CENTERED ABOUT 200 MILES NORTH NORTHEAST OF HILO 
NEAR 22N 154W AND IS TRAVELLING SOUTHWARD AT 10 MPH. THIS FEATURE IS 
TRIGGERING A 175 MILE-WIDE SWATH OF CONVECTION ALONG ITS SOUTHEAST 
FLANK THAT EXTENDS 325 MILES TO THE NORTHEAST FROM THE WINDWARD 
PORTIONS OF MAUI COUNTY AND THE BIG ISLAND. NEAR THE ISLANDS... 
CONVECTIVE CLOUD TOPS RISE BETWEEN 28 TO 31 KFT...RIGHT ON THE 
BORDERLINE FOR THUNDERSTORMS. LIGHTNING DETECTION NETWORK DATA HAS 
FAILED TO SENSE ANY THUNDERSTORMS ACROSS THE REGION...BUT AIRPORT 
OBSERVATIONS FROM HILO HAVE INCLUDED THUNDERSTORMS FOR THE PAST TWO 
HOURS. FURTHER NORTHEAST NEAR 23N 153W...THUNDERSTORMS REACH 36 KFT. 
THE UPPER LOW IS EMBEDDED WITHIN A LARGER UPPER TROUGH WHICH IS 
GENERATING A SHIELD OF BROKEN HIGH CLOUDS SEVERAL HUNDRED MILES EAST 
OF THE STATE. BROKEN CIRRUS IS FOUND IN THE AREA SOUTH OF A LINE 
THROUGH 12N 159W AND 25N 140W.

A FRESH AND UNSTABLE TRADE WIND FLOW DOMINATES ACROSS THE MAIN 
HAWAIIAN ISLANDS. THE UPPER LOW IS FOCUSING THE GREATEST INSTABILITY 
ALONG ITS SOUTHEAST FLANK ACROSS MAUI AND THE BIG ISLAND. BROKEN 
TOWERING CUMULUS CLOUDS AND ISOLATED THUNDERSTORMS COVER WINDWARD 
PORTIONS OF THESE ISLANDS...THOUGH LEEWARD SECTIONS ARE EXPERIENCING 
FEW LOW CLOUDS. ALONG THE WESTERN END OF THE STATE UNDER THE 
SOUTHWEST FLANK OF THE UPPER LOW...SCATTERED CUMULUS CLOUDS RISE AS 
HIGH AS 14 KFT AND ARE TRAVELLING FROM THE EAST NORTHEAST AT 30 TO 
35 MPH IN THE FRESH TRADE WIND FLOW. BROKEN CUMULUS CLOUDS ARE 
CONFINED TO WINDWARD AREAS OF MOLOKAI...OAHU...AND KAUAI...WHILE 
LEEWARD SKIES ARE EXPERIENCING FEW LOW CLOUDS.

ELSEWHERE...A FRONT IS APPROACHING MIDWAY ATOLL FROM THE WEST. THIS 
SLOW-MOVING FEATURE IS PRODUCING ISOLATED THUNDERSTORMS NEAR 30N 
180...WHILE BROKEN HIGH CLOUDS AHEAD OF THE FRONT PASS OVER MIDWAY.

$$
WROE

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.