Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2008 19:36:07 -0600

032 
ATHW40 PHFO 130136 RRA
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
0530 UTC WED FEB 13 2008

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 0500 UTC FEBRUARY 13 2008

SINCE THIS MORNING...CLOUD COVER HAS INCREASED OVER THE ISLANDS... 
ESPECIALLY OVER KAUAI AND THE BIG ISLAND...AND DECREASED OVER WATER 
AROUND THE ISLANDS. BROKEN TO OVERCAST LOW CLOUD COVER CENTRAL KAUAI 
WHILE CLOUDS ARE SCATTERED ALONG THE COAST. CLOUDS ARE SCATTERED 
OVER MOST AREAS OF OAHU AND THE ISLANDS OF MAUI COUNTY BUT THERE ARE 
SMALL BROKEN PATCHES OVER THE MOUNTAINS ON OAHU... MOLOKAI...LANAI 
AND WEST MAUI AND OVER THE LOWERS SLOPES OF HALEAKALA. BROKEN TO 
OVERCAST LOW CLOUDS COVER MOST LOWLAND AREAS ON THE BIG ISLAND OF 
HAWAII. THE CLOUDS EXTEND UP INTO THE WEST HALF OF THE HUMUULA 
SADDLE BETWEEN MAUNA KEA AND MAUNA LOA. CLOUDS ARE ISOLATED ALONG 
THE COAST FROM KAILUA-KONA TO UPOLU POINT AND OVER THE INTERIOR 
ABOVE ABOUT 8000 FEET OF ELEVATION.

LOW LEVEL FLOW AROUND THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS HAS CHANGED LITTLE 
SINCE THIS MORNING. LOW CLOUDS WELL EAST OF THE BIG ISLAND ARE 
MOVING FROM SLIGHTLY NORTH OF EAST AT 20 TO 25 MPH. LOW CLOUD MOTION 
SOUTH OF THE BIG ISLAND CONTINUES FROM SLIGHTLY NORTH OF EAST AT 20 
TO 25 MPH BUT LOW CLOUDS NORTHEAST OF THE ISLANDS ARE MOVING FROM 
THE EAST SOUTHEAST AROUND 20 MPH. THERE ARE ONLY ISOLATED LOW CLOUDS 
IMMEDIATELY UPSTREAM OF THE ISLANDS. RADARS SHOW LITTLE RAINFALL 
OVER THE ISLANDS. THERE ARE SCATTERED SHOWERS OVER WATER SOUTH OF 
THE BIG ISLAND AND ISOLATED SHOWERS NORTHEAST OF OAHU.

WATER VAPOR IMAGERY...WHICH SHOWS FEATURES MAINLY ABOVE 24000 FT... 
SHOWS A LOW ALOFT NEAR 28N133W...ABOUT 1500 MILES EAST NORTHEAST OF 
HILO...NEAR 28N133W WITH A TROUGH EXTENDING THROUGH 16N153W...ABOUT 
300 MILES SOUTHEAST OF HILO...TO 08N170W. OVER THE PAST SEVERAL 
HOURS...THE LOW AND TROUGH HAVE REMAINED NEARLY STATIONARY. BECAUSE 
OF THE TROUGH ALOFT...THE ATMOSPHERE REMAINS UNSTABLE SOUTHEAST OF 
THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS. THERE ARE ISOLATED CUMULONIMBUS 
CLOUDS...CB...AND SCATTERED TOWERING CUMULUS CLOUDS...TCU...WITHIN 
180 MILES SOUTH OF A LINE FROM 16N 140W TO 14N 156W...WITH THE MOST 
ACTIVE CONVECTION BETWEEN 152W AND 158W. THERE ARE SHOWERY CUMULUS 
CLOUDS SOUTH OF 19N EAST OF 165W.

A FRONTAL CLOUD BAND IS NORTHWEST OF A LINE FROM 30N 164W...600 
MILES NORTH NORTHWEST OF KAUAI...TO 22N 180. THE BACK EDGE OF THE 
ACTIVE PART OF THE BAND RUNS FROM 30N 169W TO 24N 180. THE BAND 
CONTAINS BROKEN TO OVERCAST LAYERED CLOUDS WITH TOPS TO 23000 FT. 
OVER THE PAST 5 HOURS...THE SOUTHEAST EDGE OF THE BAND HAS MOVED 
EAST SOUTHEAST AT 15 MPH ALONG 30N WHILE THE PART NEAR THE DATELINE 
HAS BECOME NEARLY STATIONARY. A 90 MILE WIDE PREFRONTAL BAND 
CONTAINING BROKEN TO OVERCAST LOW CLOUDS IS CENTERED FROM 16N170W TO 
20N172W 30N163W. OVER THE PAST 5 HOURS...THE SOUTH END OF THE BAND 
HAS BEEN SHIFTING TOWARD THE WEST AT 10 MPH WHILE THE NORTH END HAS 
BEEN NEARLY STATIONARY AND WEAKENING.

$$
DONALDSON

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.