Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 12:25:08 -0600

668 
ATHW40 PHFO 301825
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
1830 UTC WED JAN 30 2008

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 1800 UTC JANUARY 30 2008

A LOW ALOFT CONTINUES TO SPIN OVER THE STATE THIS MORNING.  WATER 
VAPOR IMAGERY AND SATELLITE DERIVED WINDS SUGGEST THE CENTER IS 
LOCATED ABOUT 75 MILES WEST OF THE BIG ISLAND.  THE LOW IS NEARLY 
STATIONARY AND STARTING TO ELONGATE ROUGHLY ALONG ITS EAST WEST 
AXIS.  TOWERING CUMULUS AND THUNDERSTORMS CONTINUE TO FIRE UP 
NORTHEAST OF THE CENTER ESPECIALLY FROM THE WINDWARD SLOPES OF MAUI 
THEN EASTWARD ABOUT 200 MILES.  ANOTHER BAND WITH EMBEDDED ISOLATED 
THUNDERSTORMS EXTENDS FROM 80 MILES SOUTH OF SOUTH POINT TO 200 
MILES EAST NORTHEAST OF HILO.  A COUPLE OF THUNDERSTORMS ARE ALSO 
NORTHEAST OF OAHU MOVING WEST SOUTHWESTWARD AT 25 MILES PER HOUR.

BETWEEN 23N AND 25N TO THE NORTH OF THE THUNDERSTORM 
ACTIVITY...SCATTERED TO BROKEN LOW CLOUDS ARE MOVING TOWARD THE WEST 
SOUTHWEST AT 25 TO 30 MILES PER HOUR.  THE UNSTABLE CONDITIONS 
PRODUCED BY THE UPPER LEVEL LOW HAS MADE THESE CLOUDS RATHER SHOWERY 
IN APPEARANCE.

OUR FIRST VISIBLE IMAGES OF THE DAY REVEAL SCATTERED TO BROKEN LOW 
CLOUDS OVER THE WINDWARD SLOPES OF KAUAI AND OAHU AND FEW TO 
SCATTERED LOW CLOUDS OVER REMAINING AREAS OF BOTH ISLANDS.  BROKEN 
LOW CLOUDS COVER PORTIONS OF CENTRAL AND EAST MOLOKAI BUT WEST 
MOLOKAI AND ALL OF LANAI ARE UNDER MOSTLY SUNNY SKIES.  MOST OF MAUI 
IS COVERED BY OVERCAST CLOUD LAYERS DUE TO SHOWER AND THUNDERSTORM 
ACTIVITY ALONG THE WINDWARD SLOPES.  PATCHY BROKEN CLOUDS COVER THE 
MIDDLE AND UPPER SLOPES OF THE BIG ISLAND BUT REMAINING AREAS ARE 
MOSTLY CLEAR THIS MORNING.

$$

KODAMA/TANABE

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.