Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 06 Jan 2008 06:17:32 -0600

384 
ATHW40 PHFO 061217
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
1230 UTC SUN JAN 06 2008

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 1200 UTC JANUARY 06 2008

CLOUD COVER HAS INCREASED OVER MOST AREAS AROUND THE MAIN HAWAIIAN 
ISLANDS SINCE LAST EVENING...BUT CLOUD COVER HAS DECREASED OVER 
LANAI AND MOLOKAI. BROKEN TO OVERCAST LOW CLOUDS COVER MOST AREAS OF 
KAUAI AND OAHU. CLOUDS ARE ISOLATED OVER MOLOKAI AND LANAI. BROKEN 
LOW CLOUDS COVER MUCH OF MAUI BUT CLOUDS ARE SCATTERED OVER THE 
CENTRAL ISTHMUS AND SKIES ARE CLEAR OVER HALEAKALA ABOVE 5000 FEET 
OF ELEVATION. CLOUDS ARE ISOLATED OVER MOST OF THE BIG ISLAND OF 
HAWAII BUT OVERCAST LOW CLOUDS COVER THE WINDWARD COAST FROM WAIMEA 
VALLEY TO CAPE KUMUKAHI AND THERE ARE PATCHY LOW CLOUDS ALONG THE 
COAST FROM MILOLII TO KAWAIHAE.

THE LOW LEVEL FLOW SPLITS NEAR THE BIG ISLAND. LOW CLOUD MOTIONS 
SOUTH OF THE BIG ISLAND ARE FROM THE EAST AT 20 TO 25 MPH WHILE LOW 
CLOUD MOTIONS NORTHEAST OF THE ISLANDS ARE FROM THE EAST SOUTHEAST 
AT 20 TO 25 MPH VEERING TO SOUTH SOUTHWEST AT 10 TO 15 MPH NEAR 
KAUAI. THERE ARE SCATTERED TO BROKEN LOW CLOUD UPSTREAM TO 
THE EAST AND SOUTHEAST OF THE ISLANDS. CLOUD PLUMES IN THE LEE OF 
THE ISLANDS HAVE SHIFTED NORTH AS THE LOW LEVEL FLOW HAS VEERED TO 
EAST SOUTHEAST. A BAND OF BROKEN LOW CLOUDS ALONG THE NORTHEAST 
COAST OF THE BIG ISLAND HAS SPREAD UP OVER MAUI AND A PATCH OF 
CLOUDS THAT FORMED DOWNSTREAM OF LANAI HAS MOVED UP OVER OAHU. 
RADARS SHOW ONLY ISOLATED SHOWERS OVER MOST AREAS AROUND THE MAIN 
HAWAIIAN ISLANDS BUT THERE ARE SCATTERED SHOWERS OVER THE BIG ISLAND 
COAST FROM CAPE KUMUKAHI TO APUA POINT...OVER EAST MAUI FROM KEANAE 
TO HANA AND OVER SOUTHEAST KAUAI. THERE ARE NUMEROUS SHOWERS OVER 
THE KOOLAU MOUNTAINS OF OAHU.

A LARGE AREA OF STABLE...BROKEN TO OVERCAST STRATOCUMULUS...SC... 
PERSISTS NORTHEAST OF A LINE FROM 22N 140W TO 21N 150W TO 25N 158W 
TO 30N 163W WITH BROKEN CUMULUS...CU...AND SC FARTHER SOUTH AND 
WEST. A 200 MILE WIDE AREA OF SHOWERY BROKEN TO OVERCAST CU AND SC 
SOUTHWEST OF A LINE FROM JUST WEST OF KAUAI TO 26N 164W TO 30N 165W 
HAS BEEN SHIFTING NORTHEAST AND EXPANDING IN AREA SINCE LAST EVENING.

A 125 MILE WIDE FRONTAL BAND CONTAINING BROKEN CU AND SC IS 
NORTHWEST OF A LINE FROM 25N 180 TO 28N 173W WHERE DISAPPEARS UNDER 
A 180 MILE WIDE BAND OF HIGH CLOUDS CENTERED FROM 30N 170W TO 23N 
180. THESE CLOUD BANDS HAVE BEEN MOVING TOWARD THE EAST SOUTHEAST AT 
25 MPH.

$$
DONALDSON

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.