Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2007 23:02:36 -0600

621 
ATHW40 PHFO 010502
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
0500 UTC TUE JAN 1 2008

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 0430 UTC JANUARY 1 2008

A JET STREAM IS TRANSPORTING BROKEN TO OVERCAST HIGH CLOUDS OVER THE 
ISLES FROM OAHU TO THE BIG ISLAND THIS EVENING.  THE JET IS ALONG A 
LINE FROM 19N170W TO 20N160W TO JUST OVER OAHU AND MAUI COUNTY TO 
25N145W.  THIS FEATURE IS ASSOCIATED WITH A TROUGH LOCATED HIGH IN 
THE ATMOSPHERE...WHOSE EAST/NORTHEAST-TO-WEST/SOUTHWEST ORIENTED 
AXIS IS CURRENTLY ALONG A LINE FROM 28N150W TO JUST NORTHWEST OF 
KAUAI TO 22N170W.  THE TROUGH APPEARS TO BE MOVING TOWARD THE EAST 
NEAR 15 MPH NORTH OF 25N...AND IS NEARLY STATIONARY ELSEWHERE.  THE 
TROUGH IS HELPING TO GENERATE A LARGE AREA OF SHOWERS AND ISOLATED 
THUNDERSTORMS...MOST OF WHICH ARE LOCATED FROM 10N TO 16N BETWEEN 
150W AND 159W.

VARYING AMOUNTS OF LOW CLOUDINESS EXIST ACROSS THE ALOHA STATE... 
WITH BROKEN TO OVERCAST CEILINGS...AND ANY ACCOMPANYING 
SHOWERS...CONCENTRATED IN WINDWARD COASTAL...MAUKA AND WINDWARD 
UPSLOPE SECTIONS ON THE INDIVIDUAL ISLES.  LOW CLOUD MOTION IS FROM 
THE EAST/NORTHEAST NEAR 15 MPH NEAR THE BIG ISLAND AND BACKS TOWARD 
THE NORTHEAST AT 30 TO 35 MPH MOVING UP THE CHAIN TO KAUAI.  THIS 
STRONG LOW LEVEL FLOW AT THE WESTERN END OF THE STATE IS CARRYING 
LOW CEILINGS AND LIGHT SHOWERS INTO LEEWARD AREAS OF THE SMALLER 
ISLES...ESPECIALLY KAUAI AND OAHU.

HIGH CLOUDS OVER THE COASTAL WATERS ARE HIDING A LOT OF THE DETAILS 
AT THE LOWER LEVELS.  THE CIRRUS IS NOT AFFECTING KAUAI AND ITS 
ADJACENT WATERS...WHERE SCATTERED TO BROKEN SHOWERY LOW CLOUDS ARE 
THE STORY.  RADAR RETURNS INDICATE THAT THIS IS LIKELY THE CASE IN 
OTHER PARTS OF THE COASTAL WATERS...THOUGH SHOWERS ARE MORE NUMEROUS 
OVER AND IMMEDIATELY EAST OF THE NORTH KOHALA DISTRICT ON THE BIG 
ISLAND...AND JUST TO THE SOUTHWEST OF THE ISLE.

A STRONG HIGH IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THE BRISK LOW LEVEL WINDS IN THE 
REGION.  THE LATEST INFRARED IMAGERY SHOWS THAT THE CENTER OF THE 
HIGH PRESSURE AREA IS ABOUT 800 MILES NORTHWEST OF KAUAI...AND HAS 
BEEN MOVING SLOWLY TOWARD THE SOUTH OR SOUTHEAST.

$$

KINEL

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.