Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2008 06:36:15 -0600

578 
ATHW40 PHFO 171236
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
1230 UTC THU JAN 17 2008

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 1200 UTC JANUARY 17 2008

THE FIELD OF HIGH LEVEL CIRRUS CLOUDS HAS THINNED OUT SLIGHTLY IN 
THE PAST FEW HOURS AS IT ADVANCES EASTWARD ACROSS THE HAWAIIAN 
ISLANDS. THE LEADING EDGE OF THE FIELD IS NOW CLOSING IN MOLOKAI. 
THE AREA OF THE FIELD STARTS FROM 280 MILES SOUTH SOUTHWEST TO 320 
MILES NORTH NORTHEAST OF OAHU...WHILE THE BACK EDGE IS 350 MILES 
WEST OF KAUAI. THE MOVEMENT OF THE FIELD IS TOWARD THE EAST...AND IS 
PART OF A SHORTWAVE TROUGH THAT WILL BE PASSING NORTH OF THE 
HAWAIIAN ISLANDS. THE MAIN AXIS OF THE SHORTWAVE IS FROM 24N 170W TO 
30N 166W AND BEYOND. A MORE SOLID AREA OF CIRRUS WITH EMBEDDED 
ISOLATED THUNDERSTORMS LIES 600 MILES AHEAD OF THE AXIS. THE TOPS 
OF THUNDERSTORMS ARE AROUND 33 THOUSAND FEET.

AS NOTED ABOVE...THE CIRRUS AFFECTING THE ISLANDS HAS THINNED OUT 
SOME IN THE PAST FEW HOURS. THIS HAS ALLOW US TO VIEW THE COVERAGE 
OF THE LOW CLOUDS...AND IT LOOKS LIKE BROKEN STRATOCUMULUS CLOUDS 
WITH A FEW SHOWERS WEST OF MOLOKAI AND ONLY LOCALLY BROKEN COVERAGE 
ELSEWHERE. THE LOCALLY BROKEN PERTAINS TO WINDWARD MAUI AND ADJACENT 
WINDWARD WATERS. THE LOW CLOUDS AFFECTING LEEWARD BIG ISLAND EARLIER 
HAVE DISSIPATED THUS LEAVING RELATIVELY CLEAR SKIES TO SCATTERED LOW 
CLOUDS OVER THE BIG ISLAND AND SURROUNDING WATERS THIS HOUR. ALSO 
THE POOL OF MID LEVEL CLOUDS THREATENING LANAI AND KAHOOLAWE EARLIER 
HAS DISSIPATED.

THE LOW LEVEL WIND FLOW OVER THE ISLANDS IS WEAK BUT GENERALLY FROM 
EAST TO WEST. THE LOW LEVEL WINDS IS MORE NOTICEABLE OVER THE OPEN 
WATERS EAST OF THE BIG ISLAND. ABOUT OUT 110 NM EAST OF CAPE 
KUMUKAHI...IS AN AREA OF UNSTABLE LOW CLOUDS CONSISTING OF ISOLATED 
TOWERING CUMULUS CLOUDS. IT IS MOVING WESTWARD AT 15 KT. 
HOWEVER...THERE IS SOME DISSIPATION OF THE LEADING EDGE AS IT NEARS 
THE BIG ISLAND.

WEATHER RADAR SHOWS SCATTERED MAINLY LIGHT SHOWERS OVER MANY PARTS 
OF KAUAI AND THE SURROUNDING WATERS...AND THE WINDWARD SECTION OF 
OAHU.

$$

LAU

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.