Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2008 23:41:44 -0600

937 
ATHW40 PHFO 190541
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
0530 UTC TUE FEB 19 2008

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 0500 UTC FEBRUARY 19 2008

PATCHES OF BROKEN TO LOCALLY OVERCAST LOW CLOUDS THAT FORMED OVER 
MOST OF THE ISLANDS RESULTING FROM THE DAYTIME HEATING AND THE 
DEVELOPMENT OF SEA BREEZE CIRCULATIONS WERE BEGINNING TO DISSIPATE 
AT SUNSET THIS EVENING. SCATTERED TO BROKEN LOW CLOUDS WERE ALSO 
OVER THE HAWAIIAN WATERS ADJACENT TO MOST OF THE ISLANDS.

A WEAK EAST TO WEST ORIENTED SURFACE RIDGE APPEARED TO BE ACROSS THE 
BIG ISLAND EARLY THIS EVENING. IN ADDITION TO THIS SURFACE RIDGE... 
THERE WAS ALSO RIDGING ABOVE THE HAWAIIAN ISLANDS. THESE WEATHER 
FEATURES WERE NOT ONLY MAINTAINING RELATIVELY LIGHT WINDS ACROSS THE 
STATE...BUT WERE KEEPING STABLE ATMOSPHERIC CONDITIONS IN PLACE.

AS OF 700 PM HST MONDAY...SCATTERED TO BROKEN LOW CLOUDS WERE OVER 
NORTHERN KAUAI. SCATTERED TO BROKEN LOW CLOUDS COVERED MOST OF 
OAHU...EXCEPT PARTS OF THE SOUTH SHORE. SCATTERED TO BROKEN LOW 
CLOUDS WERE ACROSS MOST OF MOLOKAI AND LANAI. BROKEN LOW CLOUDS WERE 
OVER MOST OF THE WESTERN TWO-THIRDS OF MAUI. BROKEN TO LOCALLY 
OVERCAST LOW CLOUDS WERE OVER MOST OF THE LOWER ELEVATIONS OF THE 
BIG ISLAND...EXCEPT ALONG THE IMMEDIATE EAST COAST.

ACCORDING TO WATER VAPOR IMAGERY AND SATELLITE DERIVED UPPER LEVEL 
WINDS...THE MIDDLE AND UPPER LEVEL RIDGE CONTINUED ACROSS THE 
HAWAIIAN ISLANDS. THIS WAS PRODUCING THE UPPER LEVEL WINDS ACROSS 
THE ISLANDS FROM THE NORTHWEST TO NORTH AT 25 TO 30 MPH. SIGNIFICANT 
UPPER LEVEL SUBSIDENCE ALOFT WAS ALSO BEING MAINTAINED BY THIS 
RIDGING. THIS SINKING MOTION AT THE UPPER LEVELS OF THE ATMOSPHERE 
WAS CONTRIBUTING TO THE STABLE WEATHER PATTERN ACROSS THE ISLAND 
CHAIN. 

ELSEWHERE...BANDS OF CLOUDS ASSOCIATED WITH SURFACE FRONTS WERE 
LOCATED FAR AWAY FROM THE HAWAIIAN ISLANDS. ONE BAND OF BROKEN LOW 
CLOUDS WITH EMBEDDED SCATTERED SHOWERS WAS WITHIN 100 TO 125 MILES 
ON EITHER SIDE OF A LINE EXTENDING FROM NEAR 28.5N 153W THROUGH 27N 
165.5W TO 21.5N 176W...OR ABOUT 400 MILES NORTH NORTHWEST OF LIHUE. 
THIS BAND WAS MOVING SLOWLY EASTWARD.

THE LEADING EDGE OF THE SECOND 200 MILE WIDE BAND OF BROKEN TO 
OVERCAST LOW CLOUDS WITH EMBEDDED SHOWERS ASSOCIATED WITH A SURFACE 
FRONT EXTENDED FROM NEAR 30N 175W TO 27.5N 180...OR ABOUT 40 MILES 
NORTHWEST OF MIDWAY ATOLL. THIS LEADING EDGE HAS MOVED EAST AT 35 TO 
40 MPH DURING THE PAST 6 HOURS.  

$$

HOUSTON

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.