Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 06:05:13 -0600

072 
ATHW40 PHFO 221205
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
1230 UTC TUE JAN 22 2008

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 1200 UTC JANUARY 22 2008

OVERCAST LAYERED CLOUDS FORM A RAGGED 300 TO 400 MILE WIDE BAND WEST 
OF A LINE FROM 50N149W TO 40N150W TO 30N156W. MARKING A FRONTAL 
BOUNDARY...THIS CLOUD BAND SWINGS WESTWARD...BECOMING A 200 TO 300 
MILE WIDE BAND NORTH AND WEST OF A LINE FROM 30N156W TO 25N170W TO 
24N180. THAT PORTION OF THE CLOUD BAND NORTH OF 35N IS MOVING EAST 
AT 10 TO 15 MPH WHILE THAT PORTION SOUTH OF 35N HAS BECOME NEARLY 
STATIONARY. THE LEADING EDGE OF THIS CLOUD BAND REMAINS ABOUT 600 
MILES NORTHWEST OF KAUAI. 

A BROAD ANTICYCLONIC CIRCULATION SOUTHEAST OF THE LAYERED CLOUD BAND 
IS CENTERED ROUGHLY ALONG AN AXIS FROM 40N150W TO 29N160W. THE MAIN 
HAWAIIAN ISLANDS ARE SOUTH OF THIS AXIS...WITHIN A BROAD BELT OF 
EASTERLY TRADE WINDS. WATER VAPOR LOOP SHOWS AN UPPER TROUGH LIES 
EAST OF THE ISLANDS...WITH AN AXIS EXTENDING THROUGH 32N143W AND 
29N152W. BREAKAWAY CIRRUS FROM THE LAYERED CLOUD BAND IS MOVING 
SOUTH SOUTHEASTWARD DOWN THE WESTERN FLANK OF THIS UPPER 
TROUGH...PASSING JUST NORTHEAST OF THE ISLANDS. MORE CIRRUS ALONG 
THE EASTERN FLANK OF THE UPPER TROUGH IS NOTED 600 TO 800 MILES EAST 
OF THE BIG ISLAND. 

SATELLITE LOOPS SHOW LOW CLOUDS MOVING ACROSS HAWAIIAN WATERS 
TOWARDS THE WEST AT 25 MPH. AN AREA OF BROKEN LOW CLOUDS EMBEDDED IN 
THE TRADE FLOW IS PASSING OVER THE MAIN ISLAND CHAIN THIS 
MORNING...CAUSING CLOUD COVER TO INCREASE ACROSS LEEWARD AREAS OF 
SOME OF THE SMALLER ISLANDS. CLOUD COVER HAS ALSO INCREASED ACROSS 
LEEWARD HAWAIIAN WATERS OVER THE PAST FEW HOURS...MERGING WITH THE 
AREA OF LOW CLOUDS CROSSING THE ISLANDS. THE EASTERN HALF OF KAUAI 
HAS BROKEN TO OVERCAST LOW CLOUDS. THE EASTERN TWO-THIRDS OF OAHU 
HAS BROKEN TO OVERCAST LOW CLOUDS. BROKEN LOW CLOUDS COVER THE 
EASTERN THIRD OF MOLOKAI AND WINDWARD HALEAKALA SLOPES ON MAUI. 
WINDWARD AND MAUKA AREAS OF THE WINDWARD WEST MOUNTAINS ON MAUI ALSO 
HAVE BROKEN LOW CLOUDS. LANAI HAS SCATTERED TO BROKEN LOW CLOUDS 
ACROSS MAUKA AND LEEWARD AREAS. KONA SHORES AND SLOPES OF THE BIG 
ISLAND HAVE CLEARED OVERNIGHT...WITH BROKEN LOW CLOUDS NOTED ALONG 
ALL WINDWARD BIG ISLAND SLOPES. 

$$

POWELL

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.