Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2008 12:28:55 -0600

143 
ATHW40 PHFO 181828
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
1830 UTC MON FEB 18 2008

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 1800 UTC FEBRUARY 18 2008

SEVERAL WEAK FRONTAL SYSTEMS WERE STRUNG OUT ACROSS THE REGION NORTH 
OF THE ISLANDS THIS MONDAY MORNING.  ONE FRONT EXTENDED SOUTHWEST 
THROUGH 30N 140W TO A WEAK SURFACE LOW NEAR 28N 145W AND CONTINUED 
SOUTHWEST THROUGH 25N 150W TO 25N 155W IN A MUCH WEAKENED STATE.  
FROM 25N 155W THIS FRONTAL REMNANT CONTINUED NORTHWEST TO A WEAK LOW 
LEVEL VORTEX NEAR 28N 160W AND THEN CONTINUED AS A STATIONARY FRONT 
SOUTHWEST TO 20N 180.  

ANOTHER RATHER DIFFUSE FRONT WAS JUST NORTH AND PARALLEL TO THE 
STATIONARY FRONT.  THIS FRONT EXTENDED DOWN THROUGH 30N 165W TO 26N 
175W.  MOST OF THE CLOUDS ALONG THESE FRONTS WERE LOW CLOUDS WITH 
TOPS BETWEEN 12 AND 15 THOUSAND FEET WITH A FEW MID LEVEL CLOUDS 
MIXED IN.  BUT THAT PART OF THE FRONT TO THE NORTHEAST BETWEEN 30N 
140W AND 24N 152W APPEARED MORE SHOWERY WITH CLOUD ENHANCED TOPS UP 
NEAR 25 THOUSAND FEET.

CLOUDS WERE FAIRLY SPARSE IN THE IMMEDIATE VICINITY OF THE ISLANDS.  
ONE STRAND OF MOSTLY SCATTERED...ALONG WITH A FEW BROKEN LOW 
CLOUDS...STRETCHED FROM EAST TO WEST ACROSS KAUAI.  BUT A BREAK IN 
THIS NARROW CLOUD BAND HAD LEFT KAUAI MOSTLY CLEAR WITH CLOUDS OVER 
THE WATERS ON EITHER SIDE OF THE ISLAND.  A SMATTERING OF PATCHY 
SCATTERED LOW CLOUDS OCCUPIED THE KAIWI CHANNEL BETWEEN MOLOKAI AND 
OAHU.  AND A FEW CLOUDS WERE SEEN JUST OFF THE NORTH KONA COAST. 
OTHERWISE...SUNNY SKIES GRACED THE ALOHA STATE.

LOW CLOUD MOVEMENTS NEAR THE ISLANDS WERE ON THE SLOW SIDE THIS 
MORNING WITH SPEEDS GENERALLY AROUND 10 MILES AN HOUR.  DOWN NEAR 
THE BIG ISLAND THE CLOUDS WERE MOVING WESTWARD.  THE LOW CLOUDS WERE 
MOVING NORTHWEST FROM MAUI TO OAHU THEN TURNING NORTH OR 
NORTHEASTWARD NEAR KAUAI.

WATER VAPOR IMAGERY SHOWED A BROAD UPPER LEVEL RIDGE EXTENDING FROM 
THE WEST-SOUTHWEST ACROSS THE HAWAIIAN ISLANDS.  THE RIDGE AXIS 
EXTENDED GENERALLY THROUGH 14N 180 TO 24N 147W.  THE RIDGE WAS 
NEARLY STATIONARY.  AN UPPER LEVEL LOW NEAR 08N 141W WAS MOVING 
EASTWARD.  AN ISOLATED THUNDERSTORM OR TWO HAD FORMED JUST SOUTHWEST 
OF THE LOW NEAR 07N 142W.  

$$

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.