Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2008 18:28:16 -0600

817 
ATHW40 PHFO 090028
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
0030 UTC WED JAN 9 2008

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 0000 UTC JANUARY 9 2008

THERE HAS BEEN A SIGNIFICANT INCREASE IN CLOUD COVER OVER THE 
ISLANDS SINCE EARLY THIS MORNING MAINLY DUE TO DAYTIME HEATING OF 
THE ISLAND TERRAIN. CLOUD COVERAGE DID VARY SOMEWHAT FROM ISLAND TO 
ISLAND. BEGINNING WITH KAUAI LOW CLOUDS ARE COVERING INTERIOR AND 
NORTHERN SECTIONS OF THE ISLAND WHILE WHILE WESTERN...SOUTHERN... 
AND EASTERN COASTAL AREAS ONLY HAVING A FEW CLOUDS OVER THEM. ON 
OAHU LOW CLOUDS HAVE FORMED OVER THE SLOPES AND SUMMITS OF BOTH THE 
KOOLAU AND WAIANAE MOUNTAIN RANGES. SOME CLOUDS HAVE ALSO BUILT UP 
OVER THE CENTRAL PLAIN. OVER ON MOLOKAI LOW CLOUDS ARE BANKED UP 
OVER THE NORTHERN SLOPES WHILE THE SOUTHERN HALF OF THE ISLAND 
NEARLY CLOUD FREE. OVER ON LANAI LOW CLOUDS ARE SEEN OVER NORTHERN 
AND INTERIOR OR SECTIONS. THE ISLAND OF MAUI HAS LOW CLOUDS BANKED 
UP OVER THE SLOPES OF HALEAKALA AS WELL AS OVER THE SLOPES AND 
SUMMITS OF THE WEST MAUI MOUNTAINS. OVER ON THE BIG ISLAND LOW 
CLOUDS ARE BANKED UP OVER PORTIONS OF THE WINDWARD SLOPES FROM NORTH 
KOHALA SOUTHWARD THROUGH THE PUNA DISTRICT. LOW CLOUDS HAVE ALSO 
FORMED OVER THE KONA AND KAU SLOPES AS WELL AS OVER PORTIONS OF THE 
LEEWARD KOHALA SLOPES. THE HIGH SUMMITS OF MAUNA KEA AND MAUNA LOW 
REMAINED COVERED IN SNOW. THERE ARE PATCHES OF LOW CLOUDS AROUND THE 
ISLANDS. CLOUDS TO THE NORTH OF THE ISLANDS ARE MOVING GENERALLY 
TOWARD THE NORTH. CLOUDS SOUTH AND WEST OF THE ISLANDS ARE MOVING 
GENERALLY TOWARD THE NORTHWEST. CLOUDS TO THE EAST OF THE ISLANDS 
ARE BASICALLY MOVING TOWARD THE WEST NORTHWEST. 

THE LEADING EDGE OF A COLD FRONT IS PRESENTLY ABOUT 375 MILES TO THE 
WEST NORTHWEST OF KAUAI. CLOUDS ALONG THE THE 150 MILES WIDE BAND 
CONSIST OF MAINLY LAYERED CLOUDS WITH SOME ISOLATED DEEP CONVECTION 
ALONG THE FRONT NORTH OF 25N. FURTHER SOUTH ALONG THE FRONT THE 
CLOUDS BEGIN TO TAKE ON A MORE OF A STRATOCUMULUS APPEARANCE. THE 
FRONT IS MOVING TOWARD THE EAST SOUTHEAST AT AROUND 20 MPH. 

THE ITCZ IS RATHER ACTIVE FAR TO THE SOUTH OF THE STATE. SCATTERED 
THUNDERSTORMS LIE IN AN AREA FROM 08N TO 13N BETWEEN 150W AND 170W. 
INDIVIDUAL CLOUD CLUSTERS ALONG THE ITCZ ARE MOVING OFF TOWARD THE 
WEST AT 15 TO 20 MPH. HIGH CLOUDS ASSOCIATED WITH THE DEEP 
CONVECTION REMAINS WELL TO THE SOUTH OF THE STATE WITH THE NORTHERN 
EDGE SOME 200 OR SO MILES SOUTH OF SOUTH POINT ON THE BIG ISLAND.

$$

BURKE

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.