Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2008 23:00:08 -0600

388 
ATHW40 PHFO 170500
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
0500 UTC SUN FEB 17 2008

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 0430 UTC FEBRUARY 17 2008

EXTENSIVE LOW CLOUD CEILINGS REMAIN ACROSS THE ALOHA STATE THIS 
EARLY EVENING.  HOWEVER...A FEW AREAS HAVE BECOME CLEAR TO PARTLY 
CLOUDY...INCLUDING THE WESTERN THIRD OF OAHU...THE WESTERN HALF OF 
MOLOKAI...THE NORTHERN HALF OF LANAI...THE NORTHERN COASTAL SECTIONS 
OF MAUI...AND COASTAL AREAS OF NORTH KOHALA ON THE BIG ISLAND.  
ALSO...SKIES ARE CLEAR AT THE SUMMITS OF MAUNA KEA AND MAUNA LOA ON 
THE ISLAND OF HAWAII.  LOW CLOUD MOVEMENT IS FROM THE EAST/SOUTHEAST 
NEAR 10 MPH JUST EAST OF THE BIG ISLAND AND GRADUALLY VEERS TOWARD 
THE SOUTHWEST AT 15 TO 20 MPH MOVING UP THE CHAIN TO JUST WEST OF 
KAUAI.

A CONVERGENT BAND OF BROKEN TO OVERCAST LOW CLOUDS...SOME WITH 
EMBEDDED SHOWERS...EXTENDS ACROSS KAUAI INTO THE KAUAI CHANNEL.  THE 
BAND IS ORIENTED NORTHEAST TO SOUTHWEST AND STRETCHES FROM 90 MILES 
NORTH OF OAHU TO 145 MILES SOUTHWEST OF KAUAI.  THIS LINE OF 
CLOUDINESS IS NOW JUST WEST OF OAHU AND IS MOVING SLOWLY TOWARD THE 
NORTHEAST AND EAST.  ANOTHER AREA OF LOW CLOUDS...SCATTERED TO 
BROKEN...EXISTS WEST OF THE BIG ISLAND.  CONDITIONS ARE OTHERWISE 
CLEAR TO SCATTERED IN THE ADJACENT COASTAL WATERS.

THE LEADING EDGE OF BROKEN LOW AND MIDDLE CLOUDS WITH A WEAKENING 
COLD FRONT IS AROUND 340 MILES NORTHWEST OF KAUAI AS OF BULLETIN 
TIME...AND HAS BEEN MOVING EASTWARD AT 15 TO 20 MPH OVER THE PAST 
SIX HOURS.  ALONG AND SOUTH OF 30N...MOST OF THE CLOUDS ASSOCIATED 
WITH THE BOUNDARY...INCLUDING CONVERGENT CLOUDINESS AHEAD OF THE 
FRONT...ARE BOUNDED BY 30N169W 30N150W 25N161.5W 23N174W AND 
27N169W.  ALONG AND EAST OF THE DATELINE...MORE CLOUDS ARE LOCATED 
IN THE AREA FROM 24N TO 28.5N WEST OF 175W....AND IN THE AREA FROM 
22N TO 28.5N WEST OF THE DATELINE TO 175E.

WATER VAPOR IMAGERY SHOWS UPPER LEVEL RIDGING TAKING HOLD OVER THE 
ISLANDS.  THE LATEST GFS MODEL OUTPUT FOR 250 MB INDICATES A RIDGE 
ALONG A LINE FROM 32N146W TO 26N155W TO 20N166W TO 17N176E.  OVER 
AND WEST OF HAWAII...DRY AIR IS BECOMING MORE ENTRENCHED ALOFT AS 
THE UPPER RIDGE EXPANDS SLOWLY TOWARD THE NORTHEAST AND EAST.

$$ 

KINEL

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.