Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 00:11:45 -0600

153 
ATHW40 PHFO 180611
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
0600 UTC FRI JAN 18 2008

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 0500 UTC JANUARY 18 2008

SATELLITE IMAGERY SHOWS A LAYER OF BROKEN HIGH LEVEL CIRRUS CLOUDS 
PASSING THROUGH THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS FROM WEST TO EAST. THESE 
CLOUDS ARE RUNNING AHEAD OF AN UPPER LEVEL TROUGH WITH ITS NORTH TO 
SOUTH AXIS ALONG 164W OR ABOUT 240 NM WEST OF KAUAI. THE TROUGH IS 
RESPONSIBLE FOR AN ISOLATED THUNDERSTORM AT NEAR 19N 163W OR 230 
NM SOUTHWEST OF KAUAI. THE FIELD OF CIRRUS CLOUDS ENCOMPASSES THE 
ENTIRE LENGTH OF THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS AND MORE...FROM KAUAI TO 
150 NM EAST OF THE BIG ISLAND. THE SOUTHERN EXTENT IS 15N AND THE 
NORTHERN IS TO AT LEAST 32N. THE FORECAST CALLS FOR THE UPPER TROUGH 
SETTLE OVER THE STATE BY TOMORROW AFTERNOON.

SATELLITE IMAGERY ALSO SHOW A BAND OF LOW CLOUDS OVER THE BIG ISLAND 
WITH THE LEADING EDGE APPROACHING HANA MAUI. THE ENTIRE BAND IS 
ACTUALLY 160 NM WIDE AND 360 NM LONG...MOVING WEST AT NEAR 15 KT.  
WEATHER RADAR INDICATES ONLY ISOLATED SHOWERS OVER THE HAMAKUA COAST 
AND HILO DISTRICTS. THE BULK OF THE SHOWERS...WITH A FEW OF THEM 
BEING HEAVY...REMAINS OVER THE COASTAL WATERS JUST OFF CAPE 
KUMUKAHI. THE HEAVY SHOWERS CONSISTING OF TOWERING CUMULUS CLOUDS OR 
TCU...ARE WIDELY SCATTERED IN COVERAGE AND CONFINED TO WITHIN A 70 
NM WIDE BAND EXTENDING FROM 55 NM SOUTHEAST OF SOUTH POINT BIG 
ISLAND TO 220 NM NORTHEAST OF CAPE KUMUKAHI. THE TOPS OF THESE TCU 
ARE TO 33000 FEET. SCATTERED LOW CLOUDS LIES IMMEDIATELY EAST OF 
THIS BAND. THE CIRRUS IS THICK ENOUGH OVER THE SMALLER ISLAND THUS 
OBSCURING THE DETAILS OF THE LOW CLOUDS. THE WEATHER RADAR THOUGH IS 
ONLY PICKING UP ISOLATED SHOWERS IN THE KAUAI CHANNEL. OTHERWISE IT 
IS A RELATIVELY SHOWER-FREE EVENING.

$$

LAU

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.