Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2008 06:42:38 -0600

470 
ATHW40 PHFO 261242
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
1230 UTC SAT JAN 26 2008

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 1200 UTC JANUARY 26 2008

A NARROW BAND OF BROKEN LOW CLOUDS CONTINUES TO MOVE OVER THE MAIN 
HAWAIIAN ISLANDS FROM THE EAST...WHILE A SWATH OF BROKEN HIGH CLOUDS 
PASSES OVER FROM THE WEST. THESE HIGH CLOUDS ARE OBSCURING THE 
DETAILS OF THE BAND OVER LAND EXCEPT ACROSS WINDWARD BIG ISLAND... 
WHERE BROKEN CUMULUS CLOUDS RISE TO 19 KFT. THE 75 MILE-WIDE BAND 
EXTENDS OFF TO THE EAST SOUTHEAST FROM THE BIG ISLAND NEAR 20N 155W 
TO 18N 150W...WHERE IT BECOMES A DIFFUSE LINE OF SCATTERED TO BROKEN 
CUMULUS AND STRATOCUMULUS TO 17N 144W. THIS PORTION OF THE BAND IS 
ADVANCING TO THE WEST SOUTHWEST AT 20 MPH. POLAR SATELLITE 
PRECIPITABLE WATER DATA...WHICH CAN BE DETECTED THROUGH THE HIGH 
CLOUDS...SHOWS THE BAND DRAPED ACROSS THE REST OF THE ISLAND CHAIN 
AND EXTENDING TO THE NORTHWEST FROM KAUAI TO 26N 163W AND 29N 166W.

THE HIGH CLOUDS PASSING OVER THE ISLANDS ORIGINATE FROM A NEARLY 
STATIONARY SURFACE TROUGH AND UPPER LOW SEVERAL HUNDRED MILES WEST 
OF KAUAI. THE WEAK UPPER LOW IS CENTERED NEAR 21N 170W AND SITS AT 
THE BASE OF AN UPPER TROUGH EXTENDING THROUGH 30N 170W. THESE 
FEATURES...COMBINED WITH AN UNDERLYING SURFACE TROUGH...ARE 
GENERATING A 400 MILE-WIDE AREA OF BROKEN LAYERED CLOUDS CENTERED 
ALONG 19N 169W AND 30N 168W WHICH HAS THINNED DURING THE PAST SIX 
HRS. ISOLATED...EMBEDDED THUNDERSTORMS RISE AS HIGH AS 36 KFT ABOUT 
525 MILES WEST OF KAUAI. THE NARROW SWATH OF HIGH CLOUDS ORIGINATING 
FROM THIS AREA PARTIALLY REVEALS THE HIGH AMPLIFIED PATTERN ACROSS 
THE CENTRAL PACIFIC BY ROUNDING THE TOP OF A DIRTY UPPER RIDGE ALONG 
161W...THEN HEADING SOUTHEASTWARD OVER THE ISLANDS TOWARD A MUCH 
LARGER UPPER TROUGH TO THE EAST.

THE UPPER TROUGH EAST OF THE STATE OCCUPIES MOST OF THE NORTHEAST 
PACIFIC AND IS SUPPORTING A GALE LOW OFF CENTRAL CALIFORNIA. THE 
CIRCULATION AROUND THIS CUTOFF LOW IS SENDING AND AREA OF RATHER 
DRY AND STABLE BROKEN STRATOCUMULUS CLOUDS OVER MOST OF THE AREA 
NORTHEAST OF THE LOW CLOUD BAND OVER THE ISLANDS. PRECIPITABLE WATER 
VALUES DROP SHARPLY TO 0.6 INCH BEYOND THE CLOUD BAND JUST OVER 100 
MILES NORTHEAST OF THE ISLANDS.

$$

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.