Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2008 18:27:37 -0600

340 
ATHW40 PHFO 200027
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
0030 UTC SUN JAN 20 2008

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 0000 UTC JANUARY 20 2008

AN UPPER LEVEL LOW REMAINS 300 MILES SOUTHEAST OF HILO WITH ISOLATED 
THUNDERSTORMS FORMING CLOSE TO THE CENTER OF THE LOW NEAR 17N 152W. 
CUMULONIMBUS /CB/ TOPS ARE REACHING 40 THOUSAND FEET. THESE STORMS 
HAVE REMAINED STATIONARY THROUGH THE DAY. 

THE SUBTROPICAL JET IS PRODUCING AN AREA OF OVERCAST LAYERED CLOUDS 
ALONG THE SOUTHEAST CIRCULATION OF THE AFOREMENTIONED UPPER LOW.  
LAYERED CLOUDS AND CIRRUS START AT A POINT SOURCE WITHIN THE 
ITCZ AT 5N 163W AND EXPANDS OUT IN A CONE SHAPE FASHION TOWARD THE 
NORTHEAST. THE CONE OF CLOUDS IS 800 MILES ACROSS BY 145W AND SPANS 
FROM 17N 148W AND 7N 142W. HIGH CLOUD FEATURES TRACKED BY SATELLITE 
ARE MOVING AS FAST AS 100 MPH TOWARD THE NORTHEAST.

A FRONT 550 MILES NORTHWEST OF KAUAI IS MOVING TO THE EAST AT 25 MPH 
ALONG 27N AND IS STALLED NEAR THE DATELINE. THE FRONT IS COMPRISED 
OF OVERCAST LAYERED CLOUDS AS FAR SOUTH AS 25N.

BETWEEN 20N 30N AND 140W 150W LOW BROKEN STRATUS AND STRATOCUMULUS 
/SC/ ARE MOVING WEST AT 20 MPH. LOW LEVEL CLOUDS ELSEWHERE ARE SC 
AND ARE MOVING WEST BETWEEN 10 AND 20 MPH.

OVER THE ISLANDS...THE SMALLER ISLANDS HAVE SCATTERED TO BROKEN SC 
OVER WINDWARD AREAS WITH FEW TO SCATTERED SC OVER LEEWARD AREAS. ON 
THE BIG ISLAND LEEWARD COASTS AND LOWER SLOPES HAVE SCATTERED TO 
BROKEN SC. THE HAMAKUA DISTRICT HAS BROKEN TO OVERCAST SKIES WHILE 
THE REST OF THE WINDWARD SIDE HAS SCATTERED TO BROKEN SC. BOTH 
SUMMITS HAVE CLEAR SKIES.

$$

MORRISON

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.