Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2008 06:39:04 -0600

836 
ATHW40 PHFO 151238
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
1230 UTC TUE JAN 15 2008

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 1200 UTC JANUARY 15 2008

WATER VAPOR IMAGERY SHOWS AN UPPER LOW NEAR 32N 149W. THIS LOW IS 
MOVING TO THE WEST AT 20 MPH. ISOLATED CUMULONIMBUS CLOUDS WITH TOPS 
TO 32000 FT ARE LOCATED WITHIN 300 MILES OF THE CENTER OF THIS LOW. 
AN AREA OF DEEPER CONVECTION WITH TOPS TO 40000 FT IS LOCATED 
FARTHER TO THE NORTHEAST. A BAND OF LAYERED CLOUDS EXTENDING THROUGH 
20000 FT IS LOCATED ON THE EASTERN SIDE OF THE LOW...EAST OF 143W. 
THE BACK EDGE OF THESE CLOUDS IS NEARLY STATIONARY...ALTHOUGH 
INDIVIDUAL CLOUD ELEMENTS ARE MOVING TO THE NORTH AT 40 MPH. 

BETWEEN 150W AND 143W...LOW CLOUDS ARE COMPOSED PRIMARILY OF 
SCATTERED TO BROKEN OPEN CELL CUMULUS ELEMENTS. THESE CLOUDS ARE 
MOVING TO THE EAST AT 15 TO 20 MPH. WEST OF 150W...LOW CLOUDS 
CONSIST OF MORE STABLE CLOSED CELL CUMULUS AND STRATOCUMULUS 
ELEMENTS...AND ARE BROKEN TO OVERCAST IN COVERAGE. BETWEEN 150W AND 
160W...CLOUD MOTION IS TO THE SOUTH AT 20 MPH. WEST OF 160W...CLOUD 
MOTION IS TO THE WEST AT 20 MPH. 

THE LEADING EDGE OF A 400 MILE WIDE CLOUD BAND ASSOCIATED WITH A 
COLD FRONT EXTENDS FROM 30N 175W TO 27N 180...OR FROM 200 MILES 
NORTHEAST OF MIDWAY ATOLL TO 200 MILES SOUTHWEST OF MIDWAY. THIS 
BAND IS COMPOSED OF LAYERED CLOUDS EXTENDING THROUGH 25000 FT...AND 
ISOLATED EMBEDDED CUMULONIMBUS CLOUDS WITH TOPS TO 36000 FT. CLOUD 
MOTION IS TO THE EAST SOUTHEAST AT 25 MPH. SCATTERED TO BROKEN 
CIRRUS CLOUDS EXTEND 300 MILES SOUTHEAST OF THE MAIN FRONTAL BAND. 

A 300 MILE WIDE AREA OF BROKEN TO OVERCAST CIRRUS AND CIRROSTRATUS 
EXTENDS FROM 10N 164W TO 17N 156W. THE BACK EDGE OF THIS CLOUD FIELD 
IS MOVING EASTWARD AT 15 MPH. ADDITIONAL AREAS OF THINNER SCATTERED 
TO BROKEN CIRRUS ELEMENTS EXTEND EASTWARD THROUGH 140W. THESE CLOUDS 
ARE MOVING TO THE EAST NORTHEAST AT 60 MPH.

THE LARGE AREA OF STABLE STRATOCUMULUS CLOUDS WEST OF 150W MENTIONED 
ABOVE CONTINUE TO AFFECT THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS. BROKEN TO 
OVERCAST LOW CLOUDS COVER ALL OF THE SMALLER ISLANDS EXCEPT FOR 
LEEWARD HALEAKALA. ON THE BIG ISLAND...BROKEN LOW CLOUDS COVER 
WINDWARD SLOPES FROM UPOLU TO MOUNTAIN VIEW. BROKEN LOW CLOUDS ALSO 
COVER THE KONA SLOPES...AND EXTEND OFFSHORE TO THE SOUTHWEST. PATCHY 
CIRRUS AND CIRROSTRATUS ARE ALSO PASSING OVER THE BIG ISLAND. 

$$

BRAVENDER

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.