Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2007 18:22:24 -0600

363 
ATHW40 PHFO 010022
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
0030 UTC TUE JAN 1 2007

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 0000 UTC JANUARY 1 2007

TROUGHS AT THE SURFACE AND ALOFT HAVE STALLED OVER THE CENTRAL 
PORTION OF THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS THIS AFTERNOON...FOCUSING 
CLOUDS AND SHOWERS ACROSS MAUI COUNTY. THE AXIS OF THE NEARLY 
STATIONARY UPPER LEVEL TROUGH REMAINS ALONG 30N 148W TO 22N 158W 
NEAR OAHU TO 15N 165W. THE TROUGHS CONTINUE TO PRODUCE A SHIELD OF 
BROKEN LAYERED CLOUDS ACROSS MAUI COUNTY AND OAHU. ISOLATED... 
EMBEDDED THUNDERSTORMS WITHIN THIS CLOUD SHIELD HAVE MOVED NORTH OF 
THE HAWAIIAN COASTAL WATERS BETWEEN 50 TO 175 MILES NORTH OF MAUI... 
WHERE CLOUD TOPS RISE AS HIGH AS 37000 FT. HIGH CLOUDS THINNED OVER 
THE BIG ISLAND THIS MORNING...ALLOWING HEATING OF THE LAND AND 
FORMATION OF BROKEN LOW CLOUDS OVER ALL OF THE MIDDLE AND UPPER 
SLOPES.

TO THE WEST OF THE SURFACE AND UPPER LEVEL TROUGHS...KAUAI HAS 
EXPERIENCED A FRESH TO STRONG NORTHEASTERLY FLOW TODAY. SCATTERED TO 
LOCALLY BROKEN CUMULUS CLOUDS ARE TRAVELLING FROM THE NORTHEAST AT 
30 TO 35 MPH ACROSS WATERS SURROUNDING KAUAI. THIS FLOW IS PRODUCING 
BROKEN LOW CLOUDS OVER THE NORTHEAST HALF OF THE GARDEN ISLE.

THE UPPER LEVEL TROUGH IS ALSO DRIVING A SHEAR LINE TOWARD THE MAIN 
HAWAIIAN ISLANDS. THIS FEATURE IS BECOMING POORLY ORGANIZED AS IT 
CREEPS SOUTHWARD AT 10 MPH JUST NORTH OF KAUAI. THE SHEAR LINE IS 
COMPRISED OF A 175 TO 200 MILE-WIDE BAND OF SCATTERED TO BROKEN LOW 
CLOUDS CENTERED ALONG 30N 147W...27N 153W...AND 21N 164W. TO THE 
NORTH OF THE SHEAR LINE LIES A VAST FIELD OF STABLE...BROKEN 
STRATOCUMULUS CLOUDS.

ELSEWHERE...THE UPPER LEVEL TROUGH OVER THE STATE IS ALSO TAPPING 
HIGH LEVEL MOISTURE FROM THE ITCZ ALONG 10N AND IS SPREADING A VAST 
FIELD OF BROKEN HIGH CLOUDS OVER THE AREA SOUTH OF THE ISLANDS 
BETWEEN 164W AND 140W.

$$
WROE

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.