Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2008 18:54:38 -0600

723 
ATHW40 PHFO 140054
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
0030 UTC MON JAN 14 2008

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 0000 UTC JANUARY 14 2008

THE LEADING EDGE OF A CLOUD BAND ASSOCIATED WITH A COLD FRONT 
EXTENDS FROM 30N 143W TO 20N 155W. THESE CLOUDS ARE MOVING TO THE 
SOUTHEAST AT 20 TO 25 MPH. THE BAND IS 300 MILES WIDE NEAR 30N...AND 
TAPERS TO 50 MILES WIDE OVER HAWAIIAN COASTAL WATERS. NORTH OF 
27N...THE BAND IS COMPOSED OF OVERCAST LAYERED CLOUDS. SOUTH OF 
27N...THE BAND IS COMPOSED PRIMARILY OF BROKEN TO OVERCAST CUMULUS 
AND ALTOCUMULUS CLOUDS...WITH EMBEDDED TOWERING CUMULUS WITH TOPS TO 
14000 FT. 

WATER VAPOR IMAGERY SHOWS AN UPPER LOW NEAR 29N 152W...OR ABOUT 650 
MILES NORTHEAST OF HONOLULU. THIS LOW IS MOVING SOUTHEASTWARD AT 30 
MPH. ISOLATED TOWERING CUMULUS AND CUMULONIMBUS CLOUDS WITH TOPS AS 
HIGH AS 30000 FT ARE LOCATED WITHIN 150 MILES OF THE CENTER OF THE 
UPPER LOW. BROKEN TO OVERCAST CIRRUS AND CIRROSTRATUS ARE LOCATED 
EAST OF THE FRONTAL CLOUD BAND...GENERALLY BETWEEN 140W AND 150W 
NORTH OF 26N. 

BEHIND THE FRONT THROUGH 160W...CLOUD ELEMENTS ARE PRIMARILY 
SCATTERED STRATOCUMULUS AND CUMULUS BETWEEN 20N AND 30N. THESE 
CLOUDS ARE MOVING TO THE SOUTH AT 30 MPH. BETWEEN 160W AND 170W... 
CLOUDS ARE PRIMARILY BROKEN TO OVERCAST STRATOCUMULUS...WHICH ARE 
MOVING TO THE SOUTHWEST AT 25 MPH. BETWEEN 170W AND 180...CLOUDS 
ARE PRIMARILY BROKEN CUMULUS...WHICH ARE MOVING TO THE WEST AT 25 
MPH. 

ACROSS THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS...BROKEN TO OVERCAST STRATOCUMULUS 
CLOUDS COVER MOST OF KAUAI...WITH SCATTERED LOW CLOUDS ONLY LOCATED 
ALONG THE SOUTHERN SHORE FROM KEKAHA TO POIPU. THESE CLOUDS EXTEND 
IN EAST-WEST ORIENTED BANDS BANDS 25 MILES OFFSHORE TO THE NORTH AND 
100 MILES OFFSHORE TO THE EAST. THESE CLOUD BANDS ARE MOVING TO THE 
SOUTH AT 25 MPH. TO THE WEST OF KAUAI...THESE CLOUDS MERGE WITH THE 
LARGER AREA OF BROKEN TO OVERCAST STRATOCUMULUS CLOUDS PREVIOUSLY 
MENTIONED BETWEEN 160W AND 170W. BROKEN TO OVERCAST LOW CLOUDS COVER 
OAHU AND MOLOKAI...AND THE NORTHERN SLOPES OF LANAI. OVERCAST LOW 
CLOUDS COVER THE NORTHERN TWO THIRDS OF MAUI...NORTH OF A LINE FROM 
LAHAINA TO KIPAHULU...AND EXTEND 10 MILES OFFSHORE TO THE NORTH. A 
BAND OF LOW CLOUDS IS ALSO LOCATED ALONG LEEWARD SLOPES OF HALEAKALA 
BELOW 7000 FT...FROM PULEHU TO ULUPALAKUA TO KIPAHULU. ON THE BIG 
ISLAND...BROKEN TO OVERCAST LOW CLOUDS AT THE TAIL END OF THE 
FRONTAL CLOUD BAND MENTIONED ABOVE COVER THE KOHALA RANGE. BROKEN TO 
OVERCAST LOW CLOUDS COVER THE KONA SLOPES BELOW 7000 FT...AND KAU 
DISTRICT BELOW 9000 FT. BROKEN LOW CLOUDS COVER PUNA DISTRICT...AND 
SOUTH HILO DISTRICT ABOVE 3000 FT. 

$$

BRAVENDER

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.