Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2008 23:26:57 -0600

398 
ATHW40 PHFO 210526
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
0530 UTC MON JAN 21 2008

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 0500 UTC JANUARY 21 2008

A 300 TO 400 MILE WIDE BAND OF OVERCAST LAYERED CLOUDS SOUTH AND 
EAST OF A LINE FROM 40N165W TO 30N170W EXTENDS FARTHER NORTH BEFORE 
WRAPPING CYCLONICALLY INTO A DEEP LOW NEAR 45N172W. THIS 
BAND...MARKING A COLD FRONT MOVING EAST ACROSS THE CENTRAL NORTH 
PACIFIC...NARROWS TO 60 TO 100 MILES WIDE AS IT EXTENDS FROM 
30N170W TO 25N175W TO 23N180. THE LEADING EDGE OF THIS CLOUD BAND 
IS ABOUT 450 MILES NORTHWEST OF KAUAI. THAT PART OF THE FRONTAL 
CLOUD BAND SOUTH OF 30N IS MOVING EAST AT 10 TO 15 MPH...WHILE 30 
TO 40 MPH EASTWARD MOTION IS NOTED NORTH OF 30N. 

A BROAD ANTICYCLONIC SURFACE CIRCULATION LIES EAST OF THE LAYERED 
CLOUD BAND...CENTERED ROUGHLY ALONG AN AXIS FROM 36N149W TO 28N162W. 
THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS ARE SOUTH OF THIS AXIS...WITHIN A BROAD 
BELT OF EASTERLY TRADE WINDS. WATER VAPOR LOOP SHOWS WEAK TROUGHING 
ALOFT FROM 140W TO THE LAYERED CLOUD BAND AND NORTH OF 20N. THERE 
IS AN AREA OF BROKEN HIGH CLOUDS MOVING SOUTHEAST WITHIN THE 
WESTERN FLANK OF THIS UPPER TROUGH...BETWEEN 21N AND 26N FROM 148W 
AND 153W. THESE HIGH CLOUDS WILL MISS THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS. 

SATELLITE LOOPS SHOW LOW CLOUDS ARE MOVING ACROSS HAWAIIAN WATERS 
TOWARDS THE WEST AT 25 MPH. LOW CLOUDS ARE RATHER SPARSE ACROSS 
LOCAL WATERS...WITH THE BULK OF LOW CLOUD COVER WITHIN A 25 MILE 
WIDE BAND JUST UPWIND FROM MAUI AND THE BIG ISLAND. BROKEN LOW 
CLOUDS COVER MAUKA AREAS OF KAUAI AND WINDWARD SLOPES AND SUMMITS OF 
OAHU...MOLOKAI AND MAUI. LANAI APPEARS TO BE MOSTLY CLEAR. BROKEN 
TO OVERCAST LOW CLOUDS COVER WINDWARD BIG ISLAND SLOPES FROM UPOLU 
POINT THROUGH HILO. BROKEN LOW CLOUDS LINGER ACROSS KAU 
SLOPES...WRAPPING AROUND SOUTH POINT THROUGH MILOLII. ADDITIONAL 
BROKEN LOW CLOUDS ARE SLOUGHING OFF THE KONA SLOPES ACROSS 
KAILUA-KONA...SPREADING WESTWARD ACROSS BIG ISLAND LEEWARD WATERS.   

$$
POWELL

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.