Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 Feb 2008 12:28:52 -0600

671 
ATHW40 PHFO 081828
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
1830 UTC FRI FEB 08 2008

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 1800 UTC FEBRUARY 08 2008

WATER VAPOR IMAGES CONTINUE TO SHOW A COMPLEX PATTERN OF MIDDLE AND 
UPPER LEVEL TROUGHS OVER AND NEAR THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS.  THREE 
SHORT WAVE TROUGHS CAN BE IDENTIFIED. THE FIRST EXTENDS FROM 25N 
157W TO THE KAUAI CHANNEL THEN SOUTHWESTWARD THROUGH 10N 167W. THIS 
TROUGH IS MOVING SOUTHEAST AT 15 MILES PER HOUR. A FASTER SHORT WAVE 
TROUGH...MOVING EAST AT 25 MILES PER HOUR...IS ASSOCIATED WITH THE 
POLAR WESTERLIES AND EXTENDS FROM 26N 155W NORTHWARD TO A LOW NORTH 
OF 40N. THE THIRD SHORT WAVE...MOVING NORTHEAST AT 25 MILES PER 
HOUR...EXTENDS FROM A FEW MILES NORTH OF THE BIG ISLAND 
SOUTHEASTWARD TO 10N 149W. IT IS THIS THIRD TROUGH THAT IS PRODUCING 
THE MOST CLOUD COVER WITH A NORTHWEST TO SOUTHEAST BAND OF BROKEN TO 
OVERCAST HIGH CLOUDS SPREADING 400 TO 500 MILES NORTHEAST OF A LINE 
FROM 22N 154W TO 10N 144W.  SOME EMBEDDED CUMULONIMBUS CLOUDS ARE 
WITHIN THIS BAND...ESPECIALLY NEAR 20N 151W...AND HAVE CLOUD TOPS 
REACHING UP TO 35000 FT.

OUR FIRST VISIBLE SECTOR IMAGES OF THE DAY REVEAL SCATTERED LOW 
CLOUDS OVER WINDWARD KAUAI AND FEW CLOUDS OVER THE LEEWARD AREAS OF 
THE ISLAND.  SCATTERED TO BROKEN LOW CLOUDS COVER THE SOUTHEASTERN 
HALF OF OAHU WITH RADAR DATA SHOWING LIGHT TO MODERATE SHOWERS 
FALLING FROM THESE CLOUDS.  ON MAUI...BROKEN TO OVERCAST CLOUDS 
COVER THE EAST HALF OF HALEAKALA AND THE UPPER SLOPES OF THE WEST 
MAUI MOUNTAINS.  THE COASTAL WATERS NORTH OF MAUI AND MOLOKAI HAVE 
SCATTERED TO BROKEN SHOWERY LOW CLOUDS. WINDWARD SLOPES OF THE 
BIG ISLAND HAVE BROKEN TO OVERCAST CLOUD LAYERS SOME OF WHICH ARE 
THE LEFT OVER MIDDLE AND HIGH CLOUDS FROM EARLIER THUNDERSTORM 
ACTIVITY NEAR HILO. THE KAU...KONA AND LEEWARD KOHALA AREAS ARE 
MOSTLY FREE OF LOW CLOUD COVER BUT THESE AREAS DO HAVE SCATTERED 
HIGH CLOUDS COMING UP FROM THE SOUTHWEST.

ELSEWHERE...A FRONTAL CLOUD BAND CONSISTING OF BROKEN TO OVERCAST 
LOW CLOUDS EXTENDS 150 TO 200 MILES NORTHWEST OF A LINE FROM 30N 
156W TO 26N 164W...THEN NORTH OF A LINE FROM 26N 164W TO 25N 177W.  
THE BAND STRADDLES THE NORTHWEST HAWAIIAN ISLANDS FROM LAYSAN ISLAND 
TO THE PEARL AND HERMES ATOLLS.

$$

KODAMA

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.