Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 Feb 2008 18:25:11 -0600

527 
ATHW40 PHFO 090025
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
0030 UTC SAT FEB 9 2008

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 0000 UTC FEBRUARY 9 2008

CONSIDERABLE CLOUDINESS OVER THE STATE THIS AFTERNOON WITH KAUAI AND 
OAHU UNDER SCATTERED TO BROKEN LOW CLOUDS. MAUI COUNTY HAS BROKEN TO 
OVERCAST SKY COVER CONSISTING OF A MIX OF LOW AND HIGH CLOUDINESS.  
MEANWHILE...BROKEN TO OVERCAST CLOUDS COVER MOST OF THE BIG ISLAND 
WITH THE EXCEPTION OF SMALL AREAS OF SCATTERED CLOUDS EAST OF MAUNA 
LOA/S SUMMIT AND OVER THE HUMUULA SADDLE.

SCATTERED LOW CLOUDS OVER THE COASTAL AND OFFSHORE WATERS NORTH AND 
NORTHEAST OF KAUAI AND OAHU ARE MOVING TOWARD THE WEST SOUTHWEST AT 
15 TO 20 MILES PER HOUR.  ABOUT 100 MILES EAST OF CAPE KUMUKAHI ON 
THE BIG ISLAND...THE LEADING EDGE OF AN AREA OF BROKEN TO OVERCAST 
SHOWERY LOW CLOUDS HAS EMERGED FROM BENEATH AN UPPER LEVEL SHORT 
WAVE TROUGH.  THESE CLOUDS ARE MOVING TOWARD THE WEST SOUTHWEST AT 
15 TO 20 MILES PER HOUR.

IN THE WATER VAPOR IMAGES...A COMPLEX PATTERN OF THREE UPPER LEVEL 
TROUGHS REMAINS OVER AND NEAR THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS. THREE 
SHORT WAVE TROUGHS CAN BE IDENTIFIED. THE FIRST EXTENDS FROM 25N 
155W TO THE KAIWI CHANNEL THEN SOUTHWESTWARD THROUGH 10N 165W. THIS 
TROUGH IS MOVING SOUTHEAST AT 20 MILES PER HOUR AND THROUGH THE DAY 
HAS DEVELOPED A LARGE AREA OF BROKEN TO OVERCAST HIGH CLOUDS SOUTH 
OF 16N BETWEEN 150W AND 160W. SOME EMBEDDED CUMULONIMBUS CLOUDS ARE 
BETWEEN 10N AND 13N FROM 155W TO 159W. A FASTER SHORT WAVE 
TROUGH...MOVING EAST AT 25 MILES PER HOUR...IS ASSOCIATED WITH THE 
POLAR WESTERLIES AND EXTENDS FROM 26N 155W NORTHWARD TO A LOW NORTH 
OF 40N. THE THIRD SHORT WAVE...MOVING NORTHEAST AT 25 MILES PER 
HOUR...EXTENDS FROM ABOUT 100 MILES NORTHEAST OF HILO TO 10N 142W. 
THIS SHORT WAVE IS PRODUCING A LARGE NORTHWEST TO SOUTHEAST BAND OF 
BROKEN TO OVERCAST HIGH CLOUDS SPREADING 400 TO 500 MILES NORTHEAST 
OF A LINE 21N 153W TO 10N 145W.  EMBEDDED CUMULONIMBUS ACTIVITY HAS 
WEAKENED OVER THE PAST 6 HOURS WITH ENHANCED CLOUD TOPS TO 36000 FT 
NEAR 20N 150W.

FINALLY...A WEAK FRONTAL CLOUD BAND CONSISTING OF BROKEN LOW CLOUDS 
EXTENDS 100 TO 150 MILES NORTHWEST OF A LINE FROM 30N 155W TO 26N 
164W...THEN NORTH OF A LINE FROM 26N 164W TO 25N 175W. THE BAND 
STRADDLES THE NORTHWEST HAWAIIAN ISLANDS FROM LAYSAN ISLAND 
TO THE PEARL AND HERMES ATOLLS.  THE WESTERN END OF THE BAND HAS 
BECOME RAGGED THROUGH THE DAY.

$$

KODAMA

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.