Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2008 18:29:56 -0600

559 
ATHW40 PHFO 030029
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
0030 UTC THU JAN 3 2008

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 0000 UTC JANUARY 3 2008

SINCE THIS MORNING HIGH CLOUD COVER HAS DECREASED OVER THE MAIN 
HAWAIIAN ISLANDS. LOW CLOUD COVER HAS INCREASED OVER THE KONA AND 
KAU SLOPES OF THE BIG ISLAND OF HAWAII AND CHANGED LITTLE ELSEWHERE.

THERE ARE STILL SOME HIGH...CIRRUS...CLOUDS ACROSS THE MAIN HAWAIIAN 
ISLANDS. THE CIRRUS IS THIN AND SCATTERED FROM KAUAI TO MAUI AND 
EVEN THE CIRRUS OVER THE BIG ISLAND IS THIN ENOUGH TO ALLOW A 
PARTIAL VIEW OF LOWER LEVEL FEATURES ON MID-DAY VISIBLE IMAGERY.

LOW CLOUDS ARE SCATTERED OVER MOST AREAS OF THE BIG ISLAND BUT THERE 
ARE BROKEN TO OVERCAST LOW CLOUDS ALONG THE COAST AND LOWER SLOPES 
FROM UPOLU POINT TO CAPE KUMUKAHI AND PATCHY BROKEN LOW CLOUDS OVER 
THE LOWER SLOPES FROM PAHALA TO SOUTH CAPE TO 10 MILES NORTHEAST OF 
KAILUA-KONA. THERE ARE BROKEN TO OVERCAST LOW CLOUDS OVER WINDWARD 
MAUI AND ALSO ALONG THE LOWER SLOPES FROM KIPAHULU TO ULUPALAKUA TO 
WAIKOA. LOW CLOUDS ARE SCATTERED ELSEWHERE ON MAUI. ON LANAI... 
BROKEN TO OVERCAST LOW CLOUDS COVER THE INTERIOR WHILE CLOUDS ARE 
SCATTERED ALONG THE COAST. SHOWERY...BROKEN TO OVERCAST LOW CLOUDS 
COVER MOST OF MOLOKAI AND OAHU...BUT LOW CLOUDS ARE SCATTERED IN 
SOME AREAS ALONG THE SOUTH SHORE OF MOLOKAI AND ALONG THE WAIANAE 
COAST OF OAHU. BROKEN TO OVERCAST LOW CLOUDS COVER THE NORTHEAST 
THIRD OF KAUAI WHILE LOW CLOUDS ARE SCATTERED ELSEWHERE ON THE 
ISLAND. THERE ARE ONLY ISOLATED LOW CLOUDS ON NIIHAU. 

THE CLOUDS OVER MAUI COUNTY AND OAHU ARE PART OF A THE TRAILING END 
OF AN OLD FRONTAL BAND CENTERED FROM 27N 140W TO 22.5N 150W ACROSS 
THE ISLANDS TO 18N 180. THE BAND RANGES FROM 60 TO 120 MILES WIDE 
AND CONTAINS SHOWERY BROKEN TO OVERCAST LOW CLOUDS. THE PART OF THE 
BAND OVER THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS IS 90 MILES WIDE AND HAS BEEN 
MOVING SOUTH SLOWLY SINCE THIS MORNING. RADARS SHOW SCATTERED TO 
NUMEROUS MODERATE SHOWERS OVER THE ISLANDS FROM OAHU TO MAUI AND 
ONLY ISOLATED LIGHT SHOWERS ELSEWHERE AROUND THE ISLANDS. 

WATER VAPOR IMAGERY SHOWS A TROUGH ALOFT FROM 22N 140W TO MAUI TO 
18N 180. THE PART OF THE TROUGH EAST OF 150W HAS BEEN MOVING TOWARD 
THE EAST SOUTHEAST AT 25 MPH WHILE THE PART WEST OF 150W HAS BEEN 
NEARLY STATIONARY. A JET STREAM RUNS FROM 17N 180 TO 17N 170W 
TO 10N 148W. ANOTHER BRANCH OF THE JET RUNS FROM 21N 150W TO 20N 
145W TO 21N 140W.

$$
DONALDSON

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.