Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2008 12:20:10 -0600

920 
ATHW40 PHFO 111820
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
1830 UTC MON FEB 11 2008

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 1800 UTC FEBRUARY 11 2008

RIDGING AT THE SURFACE AND ALOFT DOMINATE OVER THE MAIN HAWAIIAN 
ISLANDS...PRODUCING A MODERATE TRADE WIND FLOW AND ONLY PATCHES OF 
BROKEN LOW CLOUDS OVER WINDWARD LOCALES.

THE UPPER LEVEL LOW AND TROUGH THAT AFFECTED THE ISLANDS SEVERAL 
DAYS AGO HAVE MOVED OFF TO THE EAST. THE UPPER TROUGH RUNS FROM 25N 
140W...TO 19N 150W ABOUT 300 MILES EAST OF THE BIG ISLAND...TO A 
NEARLY STATIONARY UPPER LOW AT 12N 149W. THE UPPER LOW CONTINUES TO 
TRIGGER ISOLATED THUNDERSTORMS WITH TOPS TO 48 KFT IN THE AREA 
SOUTH OF 14N EAST OF 148W. ALONG ITS NORTHERN FLANK...THE UPPER LOW 
IS ALSO GENERATING AN AREA OF BROKEN LAYERED CLOUDS WITH EMBEDDED 
TOWERING CUMULUS CELLS RISING AS HIGH AS 33 KFT. THESE CLOUDS ARE 
CONFINED TO THE AREA BETWEEN 17N AND 14N EAST OF 154W...ABOUT 175 
MILES SOUTHEAST OF THE BIG ISLAND.

RIDGING ALOFT IS CREATING A STABLE TRADE WIND FLOW WITH SLIGHTLY 
FEWER LOW CLOUDS THAN NORMAL OVER THE ISLANDS. A BAND OF BROKEN LOW 
CLOUDS IS SKIRTING JUST EAST AND SOUTH OF THE BIG ISLAND...LEAVING 
MAINLY SCATTERED STRATOCUMULUS CLOUDS OVER HAWAIIAN WATERS. THESE 
CLOUDS ARE TRAVELLING FROM THE EAST AT NEARLY 25 MPH SOUTH OF THE 
BIG ISLAND...VEERING SLIGHTLY OUT OF THE EAST SOUTHEAST AROUND 20 
MPH NEAR KAUAI. THIS FLOW IS CREATING AREAS OF BROKEN LOW CLOUDS 
OVER WINDWARD PORTIONS OF THE STATE. WHILE WISPS OF HIGH CLOUDS 
MOVE OVER THE SMALLER ISLANDS...LEEWARD SKIES ARE MOSTLY FREE OF LOW 
CLOUDS THIS MORNING.

THE HIGH CLOUDS MOVING OVER THE ISLANDS FROM THE NORTH ARE 
ASSOCIATED WITH A STRONG JET STREAM RUNNING NEARLY EAST TO WEST JUST 
NORTH OF 30N. THE JET STREAM IS SUPPORTING FRONTS RACING ALONG 30N 
SEVERAL HUNDRED MILES NORTH OF THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS. THE 
DISSIPATING TAIL END OF ONE COLD FRONT HAS STALLED ABOUT 350 MILES 
NORTH OF KAUAI WHILE THE REST OF THE FRONT MOVES RAPIDLY TO THE 
NORTHEAST NORTH OF 30N. THE DISSIPATING PORTION OF THIS FEATURE IS 
COMPRISED OF BROKEN LOW CLOUDS WITHIN 100 MILES OF A LINE THROUGH 
30N 157W AND 27N 163W. FURTHER WEST...A COLD FRONT ALONG 30N 180 IS 
APPROACHING MIDWAY ATOLL AT NEARLY 50 MPH. MIDWAY LIES UNDER AN AREA 
OF BROKEN LAYERED CLOUDS ASSOCIATED WITH A WARM FRONT COVERING MOST 
OF THE AREA NORTH OF 27N WEST OF 167W.

$$
WROE

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.