Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2008 23:18:04 -0600

409 
ATHW40 PHFO 290517
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
0530 UTC TUE JAN 29 2008

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 0500 UTC JANUARY 29 2008

WATER VAPOR IMAGES SHOWED A COMPACT AREA OF LOW PRESSURE IN THE 
MIDDLE TO UPPER ATMOSPHERE LOCATED JUST NORTHEAST OF THE MAIN 
HAWAIIAN ISLANDS. THIS FEATURE ENHANCED THE OTHERWISE UNREMARKABLE 
MARINE CLOUDS PASSING UNDER IT AS IT MOVED TOWARD THE SOUTHWEST.

THUS...CLOUD COVER OVER AND JUST NORTHEAST OF THE ISLANDS INCLUDED 
ISOLATED TOWERING CUMULI RISING UP TO ABOUT 25000 FEET...THOUGH MOST 
CLOUDS THERE CONSISTED OF SHOWERY CUMULI AND STRATOCUMULI UP TO 
ABOUT 12000 FEET HIGH. THESE CLOUDS WERE MOST DENSE FROM MAUI COUNTY 
NORTH...THOUGH SOME WERE PRESENT NEAR THE BIG ISLAND TOO. THEY MOVED 
GENERALLY TOWARD THE SOUTHWEST TO WEST AT 25 TO 30 MILES AN HOUR... 
AT TIMES PASSING COMPLETELY OVER THE SMALLER ISLANDS WITHOUT 
BECOMING TRAPPED ALONG WINDWARD SLOPES. LAYERED DEBRIS CLOUDS FROM 
EARLIER CUMULUS BUILDUPS ALSO LINGERED OVER MUCH OF MAUI COUNTY... 
AND A FEW LOWER TO MIDDLE WEST SLOPES OF THE BIG ISLAND. RADAR DATA 
FROM NEAR THE ISLANDS SHOWED SCATTERED SHOWERS OVER MUCH OF MAUI... 
NORTH LANAI...AND WATERS TO THE NORTHEAST THROUGH SOUTHEAST OF THE 
ISLANDS.

FARTHER TO THE SOUTH AND SOUTHEAST...VERY LIGHT THUNDERSTORM 
ACTIVITY CONTINUED IN THE ITCZ BETWEEN 12N AND 10N...MAINLY EAST OF 
150W. DENSE LAYERED MIDDLE TO HIGH CLOUDS FROM THIS AND EARLIER 
CONVECTION OBSCURED LOWER CLOUD FEATURES WITHIN 150 MILES OF THE 
LINE FROM 08N 175W TO 08N 162W...AND WITHIN 400 MILES OF THE CURVE 
FROM 07N 159W TO 14N 147W TO 06N 140W AND FURTHER NORTHEAST.

TO THE NORTHWEST...A BAND OF LAYERED HIGH CLOUDS ASSOCIATED WITH A 
FRONT PARTLY TO MOSTLY OBSCURED LOWER CLOUD FEATURES NORTHWEST OF 
THE LINE FROM 23N 180 TO 30N 170W.

OTHERWISE...CLOUD COVER ACROSS HAWAIIAN WATERS CONSISTED MOSTLY OF 
CUMULI AND STRATOCUMULI ORGANIZED INTO LOOSE STREAMS ABOUT 300 MILES 
WIDE EXTENDING FROM EAST TO WEST WHILE MEANDERING FROM NORTH TO 
SOUTH. THESE CLOUDS INCREASED IN AREAL COVERAGE NORTH OF 20N AND 
EAST OF 150W. THEY GENERALLY ROSE TO HEIGHTS OF 6000 TO 9000 FEET... 
AND MOVED TOWARD THE SOUTHWEST...WEST...OR NORTHWEST AT 20 TO 30 
MILES AN HOUR.

$$

RYSHKO

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.