Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2008 06:02:12 -0600

846 
ATHW40 PHFO 201202
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
1230 UTC WED FEB 20 2008

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 1200 UTC FEBRUARY 20 2008

A NEARLY STATIONARY BAND OF LAYERED LOW TO MIDDLE CLOUDS ASSOCIATED 
WITH A FRONT EXTENDED ACROSS THE NORTHWEST HAWAIIAN ISLANDS AND 
SURROUNDING WATERS WITHIN 250 MILES OF THE LINE FROM 25N 180 TO 30N 
163W AND FURTHER SOUTHWEST AND NORTHEAST. A STREAK OF LAYERED MIDDLE 
TO HIGH CLOUDS OBSCURED LOWER FEATURES FURTHER TO THE NORTHWEST.

TO THE SOUTH...THERE WAS LITTLE INDICATION OF THUNDERSTORM ACTIVITY 
IN THE REGION WHERE THE ITCZ USUALLY FORMS.

OTHERWISE...SPARSE CUMULUS AND STRATOCUMULUS CLOUDS PREVAILED ACROSS 
HAWAIIAN WATERS. THESE CLOUDS WERE ORGANIZED MAINLY INTO LOOSE 
CLUMPS AND BANDS FROM 40 TO 200 MILES ACROSS...THOUGH INDIVIDUAL 
SMALL CUMULI WERE PRESENT AS WELL. NORTH OF 20N...THE CUMULI 
ORGANIZED INTO THIN FILAMENTS EXTENDING MOSTLY FROM EAST TO WEST... 
WHILE SOUTH OF 20N ROUNDED CLUMPS WERE MORE COMMON. THESE CLOUDS 
GENERALLY ROSE TO HEIGHTS OF 5000 TO 8000 FEET...THOUGH A FEW CUMULI 
APPROACHED 10000 FEET. SOUTH OF 20N...THEY TENDED TO MOVE TOWARD THE 
WEST SOUTHWEST AT 15 TO 20 MILES AN HOUR...WHILE NORTH OF 20N THEY 
CURVED BACK TOWARD THE NORTH TO NORTHEAST AT 10 TO 20 MILES AN HOUR.

ACROSS THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS...CLOUD COVER CONSISTED MOSTLY OF 
REMNANTS FROM LAYERED DEBRIS CLOUDS ORIGINALLY SPAWNED BY AFTERNOON 
CUMULUS BUILDUPS ON TUESDAY...THOUGH THESE CLOUDS HAD DIMINISHED 
CONSIDERABLY IN AREAL COVERAGE OVERNIGHT. A FEW MARINE CUMULI ALSO 
MOVED ASHORE ALONG SLOPES FACING THE EAST TO SOUTHEAST. THESE CLOUDS 
GENERALLY ROSE TO HEIGHTS OF 5000 TO 7000 FEET. RADAR DATA FROM NEAR 
THE ISLANDS SHOWED LITTLE OR NO PRECIPITATION.

$$

RYSHKO

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.