Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 Jan 2008 18:29:08 -0600

635 
ATHW40 PHFO 020029
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
0030 UTC WED JAN 2 2008

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 0000 UTC JANUARY 2 2008

A EAST-NORTHEAST TO WEST-SOUTHWEST ALIGNED UPPER TROUGH REMAINED 
SITUATED OVER THE HAWAIIAN ISLANDS THIS NEW YEARS DAY AFTERNOON.  
THE TROUGH AXIS RAN FROM THROUGH 30N 145W OVER THE KAUAI CHANNEL TO 
21N 160W TO NEAR 17N 170W.  A JET STREAM JUST SOUTH OF THE TROUGH 
WAS FLOWING TOWARD THE EAST AND NORTHEAST WAS GENERATING A LARGE 
SWATH OF BROKEN TO OVERCAST CIRRUS CENTERED BETWEEN 13N 162W AND 22N 
140W.  AN ISOLATED THUNDERSTORM OR TWO WAS NOTED IN THE VICINITY OF 
13N 162W.  CIRRUS ALONG THE NORTHERN FRINGES OF THE SWATH WAS 
FREQUENTLY OBSCURING THE BIG ISLAND.  A FEW WISPS OF CIRRUS HAD 
BEGUN TO NUDGE FURTHER NORTH TOWARD MAUI. 

A DECAYING SHEAR LINE CLOUD BAND CONTINUED TO STRETCH ACROSS KAUAI. 
THE APPROXIMATELY 60 MILES WIDE BAND...CONSISTING OF MOSTLY BROKEN 
AND OCCASIONALLY OVERCAST LOW CLOUDS...STRETCHED FROM 26N 150W 
ACROSS KAUAI TO 20N 168W.  THE BAND CONTINUED NORTHEAST FROM 26N 
150W AS THE TAIL END OF A FRONT CONNECTED TO A LARGE LOW PRESSURE 
SYSTEM IN THE GULF OF ALASKA. 

AT 2 PM...KAUAI WAS MOSTLY CLOUDY WITH LOW CLOUDS FROM THE 
DISSIPATING SHEAR LINE.  THE BIG ISLAND WAS CLOUDY DUE TO HIGH 
CLOUDS.  OAHU WAS PARTLY CLOUDY AND MAUI COUNTY WAS MOSTLY SUNNY. 

$$

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.