Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2008 18:25:10 -0600

474 
ATHW40 PHFO 260025
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
0030 UTC SAT JAN 26 2008

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 0000 UTC JANUARY 26 2008

WATER VAPOR IMAGES SHOW AN UPPER LEVEL LOW NEAR 23N 174W MOVING 
SOUTHEASTWARD AT ABOUT 20 MILES PER HOUR.  THIS WEATHER SYSTEM IS 
PRODUCING A LARGE AREA OF BROKEN TO OVERCAST CLOUD LAYERS MAINLY 
NORTH OF 20N BETWEEN 174W AND A WEAK UPPER LEVEL RIDGE ALONG 161W.  
ISOLATED EMBEDDED THUNDERSTORMS ARE FIRING UP NORTH OF 25N BETWEEN 
166W AND 170W.  A NORTHWEST TO SOUTHEAST BAND OF BROKEN TO OVERCAST 
HIGH CLOUDS HAS SPILLED PAST THE RIDGE AND COVERED THE STATE FROM 
KAUAI TO THE KOHALA AREA OF THE BIG ISLAND.  

A 150 TO 200 MILE WIDE NORTHWEST TO SOUTHEAST BAND OF SHOWERY LOW 
CLOUDS CONTINUES TO APPROACH THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS FROM THE 
NORTHEAST.  TRACKING DATA SHOW INDIVIDUAL CLOUD ELEMENTS TO BE 
RIDING THE TRADE WINDS TOWARD THE WEST AT 25 TO 30 MILES PER HOUR.  
LEADING ELEMENTS OF THE APPROACHING SHOWER BAND ARE SHOWING UP ON 
RADAR AT LIGHT TO MODERATE INTENSITIES.  FARTHER NORTHEAST...ANOTHER 
NORTHWEST TO SOUTHEAST LOW CLOUD BAND IS MOVING TOWARD THE HAWAIIAN 
ISLANDS.  THIS SECOND BAND HAS A LEADING EDGE RUNNING ALONG A LINE 
FROM 30N 158W TO 24N 151W TO 21N 140W AND IS ABOUT 100 TO 150 MILES 
WIDE WITH BROKEN STABLE LOW CLOUDS.

OVER THE BIG ISLAND...SCATTERED TO BROKEN LOW CLOUDS COVER THE SOUTH 
HILO AND PUNA DISTRICTS.  THE USUAL AFTERNOON BROKEN LOW CLOUDS 
COVER THE SLOPES OF THE KAU AND KONA DISTRICTS.  THE UPPER 
SLOPES...ABOVE 7000 FT...ARE MOSTLY FREE OF LOWER CLOUDS BUT ARE 
UNDER THIN BROKEN HIGH CLOUDS.  THE LOW CLOUD COVER OVER THE 
REMAINING ISLANDS HAS BEEN MOSTLY OBSCURED BY BROKEN TO OVERCAST 
HIGH CLOUDS.

$$

KODAMA

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.