Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2008 06:30:06 -0600

543 
ATHW40 PHFO 311230
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
1230 UTC THU JAN 31 2008

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 1200 UTC JANUARY 31 2008

WATER VAPOR LOOP SHOWS AN UPPER LOW PERSISTS ACROSS THE MAIN 
HAWAIIAN ISLANDS THIS MORNING. BROKEN TO OVERCAST LAYERED CLOUDS 
MARK THE EASTERN FLANK OF THIS UPPER LOW...EXTENDING EAST FROM THE 
ISLANDS THROUGH 140W SOUTH AND EAST OF A LINE FROM 32N140W TO THE 
ALENUIHAHA CHANNEL. ISOLATED CUMULONIMBUS...CB...PERSIST NEAR BUT 
JUST EAST OF THE UPPER LOW...SPECIFICALLY ACROSS WATERS JUST UPWIND 
FROM MAUI AND THE BIG ISLAND. THE 12 HOUR TREND IS FOR THESE CB TO 
FORM 30 TO 100 MILES NORTHEAST OF THESE ISLANDS...DRIFT TOWARDS THE 
SOUTHWEST...THEN DISSIPATE JUST BEFORE REACHING THE ISLANDS AS 
OTHER CB FORM FARTHER OUT.

TO THE NORTHWEST...OVERCAST LAYERED CLOUDS NORTH AND WEST OF A LINE 
FROM 45N157W TO 28N180 MARK A COLD FRONT MOVING ACROSS THE CENTRAL 
NORTH PACIFIC TOWARDS THE EAST AT ABOUT 30 MPH. ISOLATED CB LIE 
WITHIN THE LEADING EDGE OF THIS CLOUD AREA...ALONG A 60 MILE WIDE 
LINE FROM 33N174W TO 30N180. 

LOW CLOUDS ARE MOVING ACROSS LOCAL HAWAIIAN WATERS TOWARDS THE WEST 
SOUTHWEST AT A SOLID 25 MPH. LAYERED CLOUDS HAVE DECREASED ACROSS 
THE ISLANDS BUT REMAIN RATHER DENSE ACROSS WINDWARD WATERS ADJACENT 
TO MAUI AND THE BIG ISLAND. IN PARTICULAR...THE BIG ISLAND IS 
ALMOST FREE OF CLOUD COVER AT THIS HOUR EXCEPT FOR BROKEN LOW 
CLOUDS NEAR MILOLII ON THE KONA SIDE AND FOR A NARROW BAND OF LOW 
CLOUDS EXTENDING SOUTHWEST ACROSS HILO AND PUNA DISTRICTS. MAUI HAS 
BROKEN TO OVERCAST LAYERED CLOUDS ACROSS WINDWARD HALEAKALA 
SLOPES...EXTENDING SOUTHEASTWARD ACROSS THE ALENUIHAHA CHANNEL. 
MOLOKAI AND LANAI APPEAR TO BE MOSTLY CLEAR. OAHU AND KAUAI HAVE 
BROKEN LOW CLOUDS ACROSS WINDWARD AND MAUKA AREAS. TWO CB ARE 
PRESENT WITHIN HAWAIIAN WATERS AT THIS HOUR...ONE ABOUT 10 MILES 
NORTH NORTHEAST OF HILO AND THE OTHER JUST EAST OF HANA WITHIN THE 
WINDWARD APPROACHES TO THE ALENUIHAHA CHANNEL. 

THE 1830 UTC ISSUANCE OF THIS PRODUCT MAY BE DELAYED DUE TO COMPUTER 
SYSTEM UPGRADES AT WFO HONOLULU EXPECTED TO BEGIN EARLY THIS 
MORNING.  

$$

POWELL

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.