Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2008 18:20:11 -0600

214 
ATHW40 PHFO 110020
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
0030 UTC MON FEB 11 2008

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 0000 UTC FEBRUARY 11 2008

AN UPPER LEVEL TROUGH AND UPPER LOW CONTINUE TO MOVE AWAY FROM THE 
MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS...LEAVING AN INCREASINGLY STABLE...EASTERLY 
TRADE WIND REGIME OVER THE STATE.

THE UPPER TROUGH IS CENTERED 300 MILES EAST OF THE BIG ISLAND AND 
RUNS FROM 26N 140W...TO 20N 150W...TO AN UPPER LOW CENTERED AT 11N 
152W ABOUT 575 MILES SOUTH SOUTHEAST OF THE BIG ISLAND. THE UPPER 
LOW IS MOVING TO THE EAST NEAR 15 MPH AND CONTINUES TO TRIGGER 
ISOLATED THUNDERSTORMS WITH TOPS TO 49 KFT 500 MILES EAST OF THE 
CENTER AS WELL AS A LINE OF TOWERING CUMULUS CLOUDS RISING OVER 30 
KFT 350 MILES SOUTH OF THE BIG ISLAND. THE UPPER LOW AND UPPER 
TROUGH ARE ALSO GENERATING A SHIELD OF BROKEN HIGH CLOUDS ALONG 
THEIR SOUTHEAST FLANKS. AS THESE FEATURES MOVE EASTWARD...RIDGING 
ALOFT IS BECOMING ESTABLISHED OVER THE STATE FROM THE NORTHWEST.

MAINLY STABLE LOW CLOUD COVER HAS INCREASED OVER THE ISLANDS THIS 
AFTERNOON. BROKEN STRATOCUMULUS CLOUDS COVER MOST WINDWARD 
LOCALES...WITH WINDWARD EAST MAUI EXPERIENCING THE LEAST CLOUD 
COVER. AFTERNOON SEA BREEZES HAVE CAUSED INCREASE IN LOW CLOUDS 
ACROSS LEEWARD AREAS...PARTICULARLY OVER KAUAI...OAHU...AND THE BIG 
ISLAND. WITH UPPER RIDGING BUILDING OVER THE ISLANDS FROM THE 
NORTHWEST...THE ATMOSPHERE OVER THE BIG ISLAND IS SLIGHTLY LESS 
STABLE...ALLOWING EXTENSIVE LOW CLOUD COVERAGE TO DEVELOP OVER KAU 
AND THE NORTH AND SOUTH KONA DISTRICTS. THE BASES OF THESE CLOUDS 
HAVE CREPT UP THE SNOW-CAPPED UPPER SLOPES OF MAUNA KEA AND MAUNA 
LOA TO AROUND 11 KFT...WHILE CLOUD TOPS RISE TO ONLY 14 OR 15 KFT. 
SCATTERED...MOSTLY STABLE STRATOCUMULUS CLOUDS OVER WINDWARD 
HAWAIIAN COASTAL WATERS ARE TRAVELLING OUT OF THE EAST NEAR 25 MPH 
NEAR THE BIG ISLAND...THEN SLOWLY VEER OUT OF THE EAST SOUTHEAST 
NEAR THE SMALLER ISLANDS...EASING TO 15 MPH NORTH OF KAUAI. 

THE EAST SOUTHEASTERLY CLOUD MOTIONS ACROSS THE NORTHERN END OF THE 
MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS ARE DUE TO PROXIMITY OF THE SUBTROPICAL 
RIDGE...WHICH SITS ROUGHLY 375 MILES NORTH OF KAUAI. THE RIDGE IS 
DEPRESSED SOUTH OF ITS USUAL POSITION BY A FRONT PASSING 500 MILES 
NORTHWEST OF KAUAI. THE WEAKENING FRONT IS COMPRISED OF A NARROW 
BAND OF BROKEN CUMULUS CLOUDS ALONG 30N 161W AND 26N 167W...AND IS 
ADVANCING TO THE EAST AT 35 MPH.

$$
WROE

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.