Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2008 23:26:26 -0600

324 
ATHW40 PHFO 260526
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
0530 UTC SAT JAN 26 2008

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 0500 UTC JANUARY 26 2008

A BAND OF BROKEN LOW CLOUDS IS MOVING ONTO WINDWARD PORTIONS OF THE 
MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS FROM THE EAST...WHILE A NARROW SWATH OF BROKEN 
HIGH CLOUDS IS PASSING OVER FROM THE WEST. 

THE 100 MILE-WIDE LOW CLOUD BAND IS COMPRISED OF BROKEN CUMULUS 
CENTERED FROM 26N 162W...ACROSS WINDWARD HAWAIIAN WATERS TO 21N 
156W...AND FADING AT 19N 149W. INDIVIDUAL CLOUDS WITHIN THE BAND ARE 
TRAVELLING FROM THE EAST NORTHEAST AT 30 TO 35 MPH. WHILE BROKEN 
LOW CLOUDS PERSIST OVER THE SOUTH KONA DISTRICT OF THE BIG ISLAND... 
DETAILS OF LOW CLOUD COVERAGE OVER LAND DUE TO THE BAND IS BEING 
OBSCURED BY A SWATCH OF HIGH CLOUDS PASSING OVERHEAD FROM THE WEST. 

THE HIGH CLOUDS PASSING OVER THE ISLANDS ORIGINATE FROM A NEARLY 
STATIONARY SURFACE TROUGH AND UPPER LOW SEVERAL HUNDRED MILES WEST 
OF KAUAI. THE UPPER LOW IS CENTERED NEAR 22N 170W AND SITS AT THE 
BASE OF AN UPPER TROUGH EXTENDING THROUGH 30N 170W. THESE 
FEATURES...COMBINED WITH AN UNDERLYING SURFACE TROUGH...ARE 
GENERATING A 600 MILE-WIDE AREA OF BROKEN LAYERED CLOUDS CENTERED 
ALONG 19N 169W AND 30N 167W. ISOLATED...EMBEDDED THUNDERSTORMS RISE 
AS HIGH AS 38 KFT IN THIS AREA ABOUT 400 MILES WEST OF KAUAI. THE 
NARROW SWATH OF HIGH CLOUDS ORIGINATING FROM THIS AREA PARTIALLY 
REVEALS THE HIGH AMPLIFIED PATTERN ACROSS THE CENTRAL PACIFIC BY 
ROUNDING THE TOP OF A DIRTY UPPER RIDGE ALONG 162W...THEN HEADING 
SOUTHEASTWARD OVER THE ISLANDS TOWARD A MUCH LARGER UPPER TROUGH TO 
THE EAST.

THE UPPER TROUGH EAST OF THE STATE OCCUPIES MUCH OF THE NORTHEAST 
PACIFIC AND IS SUPPORTING A STORM LOW OFF CENTRAL CALIFORNIA. THE 
CIRCULATION AROUND THIS CUTOFF LOW IS SENDING AND AREA OF RATHER 
DRY AND STABLE BROKEN STRATOCUMULUS CLOUDS OVER MOST OF THE AREA 
NORTHEAST OF THE LOW CLOUD BAND OVER THE ISLANDS. IN FACT... 
SATELLITE DERIVED PRECIPITABLE WATER VALUES ARE DOWN TO JUST OVER 
1/2 INCH ONLY 225 MILES NORTHEAST OF THE STATE.

$$

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.