Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 06:29:14 -0600

470 
ATHW40 PHFO 301229
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
1230 UTC WED JAN 30 2008

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 1200 UTC JANUARY 30 2008

AN UPPER LEVEL LOW OVER THE STATE HAS REMAINED STATIONARY 
OVER THE PAST 12 HOURS. THE UPPER LOW HAS CREATED AN UNSTABLE 
ATMOSPHERE AND TRADE WIND SHOWERS UNDERNEATH THE LOW ARE BEING 
ENHANCED INTO TOWERING CUMULUS /TCU/ AND ISOLATED CUMULONIMBUS 
/CB/. THE MAJORITY OF THE CONVECTION IS OCCURRING OVER THE WINDWARD 
BIG ISLAND AND TO THE NORTH AND EAST OF THE ISLAND. THE TOPS OF THE 
CB/S ARE REACHING AS HIGH AS 30 THOUSAND FEET. OVER THE 
ISLANDS...HEAVY SHOWERS ARE MOVING QUICKLY OVER THE SMALLER ISLANDS 
WHILE OVER THE WINDWARD BIG ISLAND THUNDERSTORMS HAVE BEEN MORE 
PERSISTENT IN THE AREA FROM KAPOHO TO HONOKAA. THE LEE SIDE OF THE 
BIG ISLAND HAS CLEARED SINCE YESTERDAYS AFTERNOON CONVECTION.

THE UPPER LOW IS EMBEDDED WITHIN A LARGER...NEARLY STATIONARY UPPER 
TROUGH EXTENDING ALONG 30N 145W... 20N 160W...AND 18N 170W. A 
SUBTROPICAL JET STREAM RUNNING ALONG THE SOUTHEAST FLANK OF THE 
UPPER TROUGH IS GENERATING A SHIELD OF BROKEN HIGH CLOUDS 200 MILES 
SOUTHEAST OF THE BIG ISLAND. THE CIRRUS SHIELD IS 800 MILES ACROSS 
AND RUNS FROM 10N 157W TO THE NORTHEAST OVER 20N 140W AND CONTINUES 
INTO THE EAST PACIFIC. 

ELSEWHERE...A DECAYING FRONT NEAR 25N 175W IS MOVING 10 MPH TOWARD 
THE EAST. THE ASSOCIATED 250 MILE WIDE CLOUD BAND IS MADE UP OF 
BROKEN LAYERED CLOUDS FROM 25N 178W TO 30N 170W.

$$

MORRISON

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.