Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 06:30:11 -0600

609 
ATHW40 PHFO 211230
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
1230 UTC MON JAN 21 2008

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 1200 UTC JANUARY 21 2008

A RAGGED 300 MILE WIDE BAND OF OVERCAST LAYERED CLOUDS SOUTH AND 
EAST OF A LINE FROM 40N160W TO 30N168W EXTENDS FARTHER NORTH BEFORE 
WRAPPING CYCLONICALLY INTO A DEEP LOW NEAR 48N169W. THIS 
BAND...MARKING A COLD FRONT MOVING EAST ACROSS THE CENTRAL NORTH 
PACIFIC...NARROWS TO 60 TO 100 MILES WIDE AS IT EXTENDS FROM 30N168W 
TO 25N175W TO 24N180. THIS BAND WIDENS WEST OF THE DATELINE. THE 
LEADING EDGE OF THIS CLOUD BAND IS ABOUT 550 MILES NORTHWEST OF 
KAUAI. THAT PART OF THE FRONTAL CLOUD BAND NEAR AND JUST SOUTH OF 
30N IS MOVING EAST AT 10 TO 15 MPH...WHILE 30 TO 40 MPH EASTWARD 
MOTION IS NOTED NORTH OF 30N. 

A BROAD ANTICYCLONIC SURFACE CIRCULATION LIES EAST OF THE LAYERED 
CLOUD BAND...CENTERED ROUGHLY ALONG AN AXIS FROM 36N149W TO 28N162W. 
THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS ARE SOUTH OF THIS AXIS...WITHIN A BROAD 
BELT OF EASTERLY TRADE WINDS. WATER VAPOR LOOP SHOWS WEAK TROUGHING 
ALOFT FROM 140W TO THE LAYERED CLOUD BAND AND NORTH OF 20N. THERE IS 
AN AREA OF BROKEN HIGH CLOUDS MOVING SOUTHEAST WITHIN THE WESTERN 
FLANK OF THIS UPPER TROUGH...BETWEEN 20N AND 23N FROM 149W AND 152W. 
THESE HIGH CLOUDS ARE DIMINISHING AND THE REMNANTS WILL MISS THE 
MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS. 

SATELLITE LOOPS SHOW LOW CLOUDS ARE MOVING ACROSS HAWAIIAN WATERS 
TOWARDS THE WEST AT 25 MPH. LOW CLOUDS JUST UPWIND FROM THE ISLANDS 
HAVE INCREASED...WITH A RAGGED AREA OF BROKEN LOW CLOUDS NOW 30 TO 
150 MILES NORTHEAST OF OAHU...MOLOKAI...MAUI AND THE BIG ISLAND. 
CLOUD TOP TEMPERATURES IN THE 4 TO 6 DEGREE C RANGE CORRESPOND TO 
CLOUD TOP HEIGHTS OF 10000 TO 12000 FEET...INDICATING ENOUGH CLOUD 
DEPTH FOR THE ASSOCIATED ISOLATED LIGHT SHOWERS NOTED ON RADAR. A 
SINGLE CUMULONIMBUS...CB...LIES WITHIN THE BIG ISLAND PLUME ABOUT 
110 MILES WEST OF THE KONA SHORELINE. CLOUD COVER FAVORS WINDWARD 
AND MAUKA AREAS OF THE ISLANDS...WITH BROKEN LOW CLOUDS NOTED ACROSS 
WINDWARD AND MAUKA SECTIONS OF KAUAI AND ACROSS THE KOOLAU SUMMITS 
AND SLOPES ON OAHU. SCATTERED TO BROKEN LOW CLOUDS COVER THE EASTERN 
THIRD OF MOLOKAI AND WINDWARD HALEAKALA SLOPES ON MAUI. LANAI 
APPEARS TO BE MOSTLY CLEAR. CLOUD COVER ON THE BIG ISLAND HAS 
DECREASED SINCE LAST EVENING...LEAVING ONLY SCATTERED TO BROKEN LOW 
CLOUDS ACROSS WINDWARD SLOPES. EXCEPT FOR A PATCH OF BROKEN LOW 
CLOUDS NEAR MILOLII ON THE KONA COAST...LEEWARD BIG ISLAND AREAS ARE 
MOSTLY CLEAR.   

$$
POWELL

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.