Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Jan 2008 12:29:49 -0600

641 
ATHW40 PHFO 031829
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
1830 UTC THU JAN 03 2008

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 1800 UTC JANUARY 03 2008

NUMEROUS PATCHES OF TIGHTLY GROUPED...SCATTERED LOW CLOUDS WERE 
WITHIN A 325 MILES WIDE...EAST-WEST BAND LYING ACROSS KAUAI AND 
OAHU.  THE SOUTH EDGE OF THE BAND EXTENDED ROUGHLY FROM 22N 152W 
ACROSS OAHU AND PASSED ABOUT 20 MILES SOUTH OF KAUAI TO 22N 170W.  
THE NORTHERN EDGE RAN FROM 26N 150W TO 26N 170W.  THESE CLOUDS WERE 
MOSTLY OPEN CELLED CUMULUS AND WERE FAIRLY SHOWERY AS DEPICTED BY 
RADAR IN THE VICINITY OF KAUAI AND OAHU.  

IMMEDIATELY NORTH AND ADJACENT TO THE PREVIOUSLY MENTIONED BAND OF 
CLOUDS WAS A MASS OF BROKEN TO OVERCAST...MORE STABLE STRATOCUMULUS 
CLOUDS.  THIS CLOUD MASS WAS GENERALLY BETWEEN 26N AND 31N FROM 152W 
TO 175W.

A NARROWER...75 MILES WIDE BAND OF EVEN MORE SHOWERY...BROKEN 
CUMULUS CLOUDS WAS CENTERED ALONG A LINE FROM 21N 150W ACROSS THE 
BIG ISLAND TO 20N 180.  THE BAND OF CLOUDS OVER KAUAI AND OAHU WAS 
DRIFTING VERY SLOWLY SOUTH WHILE THE NARROW BAND ACROSS THE BIG 
ISLAND WAS NEARLY STATIONARY.

AT 8 AM...CLEAR SKIES OVER THE WESTERN TWO THIRDS OF THE BIG ISLAND 
SHOWED SNOW STILL CAPPING THE SUMMITS OF MAUNA LOA AND MAUNA KEA.  
SKIES WERE MOSTLY CLEAR OVER THE WATERS JUST LEE OF THE STATE AS 
WELL.  MOST OF MAUI HAD SUNNY SKIES BUT OTHER PARTS OF THE STATE HAD 
PARTLY TO MOSTLY CLOUDY SKIES MAINLY ALONG THE WINDWARD SECTIONS.
A NARROW PLUME OF SHOWERY LOW CLOUDS MEANDERED DOWNWIND OR WEST OF 
THE SOUTH KONA COAST FOR JUST OVER 300 MILES.  THE PLUME WAS MIXED 
IN WITHIN THE WIDER CLOUD BAND OVER THAT AREA.

WATER VAPOR IMAGERY SHOWED A LARGE UPPER LEVEL HIGH PRESSURE AREA 
WAS CENTERED NORTH OF THE STATE IN THE VICINITY OF 30N 160W.  TO THE 
SOUTH...A JET STREAM CENTERED ALONG A LINE FROM 11N 180 TO 15N 170W 
TO 20N 150W WAS FLOWING EASTWARD. 
 
$$

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.