Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2008 23:30:30 -0600

040 
ATHW40 PHFO 050530
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
0530 UTC TUE FEB 05 2008

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 0500 UTC FEBRUARY 05 2008

AN UPPER TROUGH ABOUT 250 MILES WEST OF KAUAI WAS KEEPING THE AIR 
MASS ACROSS THE HAWAIIAN ISLANDS ON THE UNSTABLE SIDE THIS MONDAY 
EVENING.  THE TROUGH AXIS RAN ROUGHLY FROM 25N 161W TO 14N 169W.  AN 
UPPER LOW OR TWO WERE EMBEDDED WITHIN THIS TROUGH...ONE NOTABLY NEAR 
22N 164W OR ABOUT 265 MILES WEST OF KAUAI WITH POSSIBLY ANOTHER LESS 
DISTINCT LOW NEAR 19N 166W.  THE TROUGH APPEARED TO BE NEARLY 
STATIONARY WITH THE UPPER LOWS DRIFTING VERY SLOWLY SOUTH WITHIN THE 
TROUGH.

A LARGE SWATH OF BROKEN TO OVERCAST CIRRUS WAS SPREADING EAST AND 
NORTHEASTWARD ALONG THE EAST SIDE OF THE UPPER TROUGH.  THE NORTHERN 
EDGE OF THIS LARGE AREA OF HIGH CLOUDINESS STRETCHED FROM 09N 170W 
TO THE KAUAI CHANNEL AND OVER TO 24N 145W.  THE EAST EDGE OF THIS 
SWATH WAS MOSTLY ALONG 150W BETWEEN 24N AND 07N LATITUDES.  THE 
SOUTHERN EDGE OF THE TRIANGULAR-SHAPED REGION WAS BOUNDED BY 07N 
FROM 140W TO 175W.  

THE SOUTHERN SECTION OF THIS CLOUD MASS CONTAINED ISOLATED 
THUNDERSTORMS ALONG THE ITCZ BETWEEN 07N AND 10N.  BUT A FEW 
ISOLATED THUNDERSTORMS WERE ALSO FORMING NEAR THE UPPER TROUGH AND 
LOWS WITHIN 350 MILES SOUTHWEST OF OAHU.  A HANDFUL OF ISOLATED 
THUNDERSTORMS WERE ALSO WITHIN A 150 MILES WIDE AREA CENTERED ABOUT 
400 MILES SOUTHWEST OF KAUAI. 

CIRRUS WAS OBSCURING MUCH OF THE ALOHA STATE EXCEPT FOR KAUAI.  
HOWEVER...THERE WERE A FEW BREAKS HERE AND THERE WITHIN THE HIGH 
CLOUDS OVER THE OTHER PARTS OF THE STATE OCCASIONALLY.  WITHIN THESE 
BREAKS...PATCHES AND SMALL CLUSTERS OF SCATTERED TO BROKEN LOW 
CLOUDS COULD BE SEEN STREAMING WESTWARD THROUGH THE STATE WITHIN THE 
TRADE WIND FLOW.  BUT KAUAI WAS THE MOST VIEWABLE ISLAND AND HAD FEW 
CLOUDS IN CLOSE PROXIMITY AT 7 PM.  

$$

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.