Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2008 18:34:20 -0600

930 
ATHW40 PHFO 180034
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
0030 UTC FRI JAN 18 2008

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 0000 UTC JANUARY 18 2008

THE WEATHER PATTERN IS RATHER COMPLEX ACROSS THE CENTRAL PACIFIC. A 
WEAK RIDGE SEVERAL HUNDRED MILES NORTHWEST OF KAUAI IS SANDWICHED 
BETWEEN A WEAKENING LOW 875 MILES NORTH NORTHEAST OF THE STATE AND A 
DEVELOPING FRONT 1500 MILES TO THE NORTHWEST. IN ADDITION...A WEAK 
TROUGH IS APPROACHING THE BIG ISLAND FROM THE EAST.

THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS ARE UNDER A LIGHT...STABLE...AND MAINLY 
DRY TRADE WIND FLOW SOUTH OF THE HIGH AND ITS ASSOCIATED RIDGE. THE 
FIELD OF MAINLY STABLE CLOUDS THAT AFFECTED MAINLY WINDWARD AREAS 
THIS MORNING HAS DISSIPATED...LEAVING SMALL PATCHES OF BROKEN LOW 
CLOUDS OVER WINDWARD PORTIONS OF THE STATE AS WELL AS THE KONA 
SLOPES OF THE BIG ISLAND. A SHIELD OF BROKEN HIGH CLOUDS PASSING 
OVER THE STATE IS PARTIALLY OBSCURING THE DETAILS OF THE LOW CLOUD 
COVER.

A WEAK SURFACE TROUGH 35 MILES EAST OF THE BIG ISLAND IS APPROACHING 
FROM THE EAST AT 13 MPH. THIS FEATURE IS COMPRISED OF BROKEN CUMULUS 
CLOUDS WITHIN 60 MILES OF A LINE THROUGH 17N 155W AND 22N 151W... 
WITH ISOLATED...EMBEDDED TOWERING CUMULUS CELLS RISING AS HIGH AS 
30000 FT. THE TROUGH DISSIPATES TO THE NORTH...BUT A VERY WEAK BAND 
OF SCATTERED TO LOCALLY BROKEN LOW CLOUDS PERSISTS ALONG 22N 151W... 
27N 147W...30N 146W...AND CONTINUING NORTHWARD TO THE WEAKENING LOW 
875 MILES NORTH NORTHEAST OF THE STATE.

AN UPPER LEVEL TROUGH CENTERED 375 MILES NORTHWEST OF KAUAI IS 
GENERATING THE SHIELD OF BROKEN HIGH CLOUDS OVER THE STATE AS IT 
TRAVELS TO THE EAST NEAR 30 MPH. BROKEN CIRRUS CLOUDS ARE FOUND 
WITHIN 300 MILES OF A LINE THROUGH 20N 160W AND 28N 155W. FARTHER 
NORTHWEST...A STRONGER UPPER TROUGH IS DRIVING A DEEPENING FRONT 
THAT IS APPROACHING THE DATELINE.

$$

WROE

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.