Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2008 12:30:07 -0600

340 
ATHW40 PHFO 161830
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
1830 UTC SAT FEB 16 2008

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 1800 UTC FEBRUARY 16 2008

THREE DISTINCT OVERCAST CLOUD AREAS ARE HOVERING AROUND THE ISLANDS 
THIS MORNING. ONE AREA IS CLIPPING THE WESTERN HALF OF KAUAI 
EXTENDING 170 MILES SOUTHWEST..100 MILES WEST...AND 100 MILES NORTH 
OF THE ISLAND. THE SECOND AREA OF LOW STRATOCUMULUS /SC/ COVERS THE 
SOUTH SHORE OF OAHU AND STRETCHES 270 MILES TO THE SOUTHWEST WITH A 
WIDTH OF 50 MILES ACROSS. THE THIRD IS THE BIG ISLAND PLUME STARTING 
30 MILES OFFSHORE OF KONA AND EXTENDING EAST 140 MILES WITH A WIDTH 
OF 70 MILES. ALL THREE CLOUD AREAS HAVE SOME EMBEDDED SHOWERS WITHIN 
THE OVERCAST SC. OTHERWISE...ISLAND SKIES ARE MOSTLY CLEAR WITH 
NIGHTTIME DRAINAGE FLOWS KEEPING CLOUDS OFFSHORE.

A COLD FRONT IS MOVING 28 MPH TOWARD THE EAST AT 27N AND AT ITS 
CLOSEST POINT IS 425 MILES NORTHWEST OF KAUAI. THE CLOUD BAND 
ASSOCIATED WITH THE FRONT STRETCHES FROM THE WEST PACIFIC OVER 22N 
180 OVER 26N 170W AND 30N 160W. THE BAND IS 700 MILES ACROSS NEAR 
30N AND TAPERS TO 200 MILES NEAR THE DATELINE. THE BAND IS MADE UP 
OF OVERCAST SC WITH EMBEDDED TOWERING CUMULUS SOUTH OF 30N. BROKEN 
CIRRUS AHEAD OF THE FRONT COVERS THE AREA NORTH OF 28N BETWEEN 150W 
TO 160W.

AN UPPER LEVEL LOW IS CENTERED OVER 15N 147W AND THE SUBTROPICAL JET 
IS RUNNING NORTHEAST ALONG THE SOUTHEAST QUADRANT OF THE LOW. 
SCATTERED THUNDERSTORMS ARE FORMING OVER THE EASTERN SEMICIRCLE OF 
THE LOW WITH AN AREA OF BROKEN CIRRUS. THE THUNDERSTORM TOPS ARE 
REACHING AS HIGH AS 45 THOUSAND FEET.

SCATTERED SC IN THE VICINITY OF THE ISLANDS ARE MOVING NORTH AT 15 
MPH DUE TO A SURFACE RIDGE OVER THE ISLANDS. SOUTH OF 20N SCATTERED 
SC ARE MOVING WEST AT 15 MPH.

$$ 

MORRISON

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.