Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 06:32:45 -0600

450 
ATHW40 PHFO 291232
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
1230 UTC TUE JAN 29 2008

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 1200 UTC JANUARY 29 2008

WATER VAPOR IMAGES SHOWED A COMPACT AREA OF LOW PRESSURE IN THE 
MIDDLE TO UPPER ATMOSPHERE LOCATED JUST NORTHEAST OF THE MAIN 
HAWAIIAN ISLANDS. THIS FEATURE ENHANCED THE OTHERWISE UNREMARKABLE 
MARINE CLOUDS PASSING UNDER IT AS IT EDGED TOWARD THE SOUTHWEST.

THUS...CLOUD COVER OVER AND JUST NORTHEAST OF THE ISLANDS INCLUDED 
ISOLATED TOWERING CUMULI RISING UP TO ABOUT 30000 FEET...THOUGH MOST 
CLOUDS THERE CONSISTED OF SHOWERY CUMULI AND STRATOCUMULI UP TO 
ABOUT 12000 FEET HIGH. THESE CLOUDS WERE MOST DEVELOPED FROM MAUI 
COUNTY TO THE BIG ISLAND...THOUGH SOME LARGE TOWERING CUMULI 
APPEARED UPWIND OF OAHU AS WELL. THEY MOVED GENERALLY TOWARD THE 
SOUTHWEST TO WEST AT 25 TO 30 MILES AN HOUR...AT TIMES PASSING 
COMPLETELY OVER THE SMALLER ISLANDS WITHOUT BECOMING TRAPPED ALONG 
WINDWARD SLOPES. LAYERED DEBRIS CLOUDS FROM EARLIER CUMULUS BUILDUPS 
ALSO LINGERED ALONG NORTHEAST SLOPES OF THE BIG ISLAND...PARTLY 
OBSCURING LOWER FEATURES. ALTHOUGH TYPICALLY THE STRONGEST ACTIVITY 
IN THE LEE PLUME OF THE BIG ISLAND DEVELOPS FAR OUT TO SEA...A 
TOWERING CUMULUS CLOUD ABOUT 20000 FEET TALL HAD DEVELOPED JUST 
OFFSHORE FROM KAILUA-KONA.

RADAR DATA FROM NEAR THE ISLANDS SHOWED AREAS OF RAIN ALONG THE 
NORTHEAST COAST OF THE BIG ISLAND...AND SCATTERED SHOWERS OVER MOST 
OF THE ISLANDS AND ADJACENT WATERS. HOWEVER...RADAR DATA SHOWED 
ISOLATED SHOWERS AT MOST IMMEDIATELY SOUTHWEST OF MAUI COUNTY AND 
OAHU...AND AROUND SOUTH POINT ON THE BIG ISLAND.

FARTHER TO THE SOUTH AND SOUTHEAST...VERY LIGHT THUNDERSTORM 
ACTIVITY CONTINUED IN THE ITCZ BETWEEN 12N AND 10N...MAINLY EAST OF 
150W. DENSE LAYERED MIDDLE TO HIGH CLOUDS FROM THIS AND EARLIER 
CONVECTION OBSCURED LOWER CLOUD FEATURES WITHIN 150 MILES OF THE 
CURVE FROM 08N 175W TO 07N 170W TO 07N 166W TO 02N 160W...AND WITHIN 
450 MILES OF THE CURVE FROM 04N 154W TO 17N 143W TO 17N 140W AND 
FURTHER NORTHEAST.

TO THE NORTHWEST...A BAND OF DENSE LAYERED MIDDLE TO HIGH CLOUDS 
ASSOCIATED WITH A FRONT OBSCURED LOWER CLOUD FEATURES NORTHWEST OF 
THE LINE FROM 22N 180 TO 30N 172W. A FEW TOWERING CUMULI OR POSSIBLE 
THUNDERSTORMS ROSE THROUGH THE LAYERED CLOUDS.

OTHERWISE...CLOUD COVER ACROSS HAWAIIAN WATERS CONSISTED MOSTLY OF 
CUMULI AND STRATOCUMULI ORGANIZED INTO LOOSE STREAMS ABOUT 350 MILES 
WIDE EXTENDING FROM EAST TO WEST WHILE MEANDERING FROM NORTH TO 
SOUTH. THESE CLOUDS INCREASED IN AREAL COVERAGE NORTH OF 20N AND 
EAST OF 150W...AND THEY HAD INCREASED IN AREAL COVERAGE WITH TIME 
OVERNIGHT. THEY GENERALLY ROSE TO HEIGHTS OF 6000 TO 9000 FEET... 
AND MOVED TOWARD THE SOUTHWEST...WEST...OR NORTHWEST AT 20 TO 30 
MILES AN HOUR.

$$

RYSHKO

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.