Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2008 23:24:42 -0600

432 
ATHW40 PHFO 250524
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
0530 UTC FRI JAN 25 2008

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 0500 UTC JANUARY 25 2008

A HIGHLY AMPLIFIED PATTERN ACROSS THE NORTH PACIFIC IS MAINTAINING 
HIGH PRESSURE AT THE SURFACE AND ALOFT OVER THE MAIN HAWAIIAN 
ISLANDS...RESULTING IN A STABLE...TRADE-WIND WEATHER REGIME THIS 
EVENING. 

FEW TO SCATTERED...MAINLY STABLE STRATOCUMULUS CLOUDS OVER HAWAIIAN 
COASTAL WATERS ARE MOVING FROM THE EAST NORTHEAST AT 15 TO 18 MPH... 
CREATING BROKEN LOW CLOUDS OVER TYPICAL WINDWARD EXPOSURES. LEEWARD 
AREAS ARE MOSTLY CLEAR EXCEPT FOR BROKEN LOW CLOUDS ACROSS THE SOUTH 
KONA AND KAU DISTRICTS OF THE BIG ISLAND AND THE UPPER SLOPES OF 
HALEAKALA ON MAUI. THESE CLOUDS WERE FORMED BY AFTERNOON HEATING AND 
ARE DECREASING RAPIDLY AFTER SUNSET. BEYOND 75 MILES NORTH OF THE 
ISLANDS...SCATTERED CUMULUS CLOUDS DOMINATE.

THE HIGHLY AMPLIFIED PATTERN IS PRODUCING STABLE RIDGING NEAR THE 
MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SANDWICHED BETWEEN TROUGHING TO THE WEST AND 
EAST. A NEARLY STATIONARY UPPER TROUGH CENTERED OVER MIDWAY ATOLL IS 
SUPPORTING A STATIONARY SURFACE TROUGH 800 MILES NORTHWEST OF KAUAI. 
THE TROUGH IS MARKED BY A 400 MILE-WIDE BAND OF OVERCAST LAYERED 
CLOUDS ALONG 30N 169W AND 19N 175W. THE UPPER TROUGH TO THE EAST OF 
THE STATE IS ASSOCIATED WITH THE GALE OFF CENTRAL CALIFORNIA. THE
NEARLY STATIONARY UPPER TROUGH EXTENDS ALONG 27N 140W...25N 148W... 
AND 30N 154W AND IS ENHANCING A BAND OF CLOUDS 400 MILES NORTHEAST 
OF THE ISLANDS. THIS 125 MILE-WIDE BAND OF BROKEN CUMULUS CLOUDS 
RUNS ALONG 27N 156W...24N 148W...AND 22N 140W. ISOLATED 
THUNDERSTORMS EMBEDDED IN THE BAND NEAR 148W RISE TO 38 KFT.

$$

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.