Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2008 12:41:00 -0600

689 
ATHW40 PHFO 121840
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
1830 UTC TUE FEB 12 2008

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 1800 UTC FEBRUARY 12 2008

THERE HAS BEEN LITTLE CHANGE IN CLOUD COVER AROUND THE MAIN HAWAIIAN 
ISLANDS IN THE PAST 6 HOURS. CLOUDS ARE ISOLATED OVER MOST AREAS 
FROM KAUAI TO MAUI. SHOWERY...BROKEN TO OVERCAST LOW CLOUDS COVER 
THE WINDWARD SIDE OF THE BIG ISLAND FROM PEPEEKEO TO APUA POINT. 
SKIES ARE CLEAR ELSEWHERE ON THE BIG ISLAND.

LOW LEVEL FLOW SPLITS AROUND THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS. LOW CLOUDS 
WELL EAST OF THE BIG ISLAND ARE MOVING FROM SLIGHTLY NORTH OF EAST 
AT 20 TO 25 MPH. LOW CLOUD MOTION SOUTH OF THE BIG ISLAND CONTINUES 
FROM SLIGHTLY NORTH OF EAST AT 20 TO 25 MPH BUT LOW CLOUDS NORTHEAST 
OF THE ISLANDS ARE MOVING FROM THE EAST SOUTHEAST AROUND 20 MPH. 
THERE ARE SHOWERY BROKEN LOW CLOUDS UPSTREAM OF THE BIG ISLAND. 
RADARS SHOW SCATTERED TO NUMEROUS SHOWERS FALLING FROM THESE CLOUDS. 
RADARS SHOW SCATTERED SHOWERS NORTHEAST OF MAUI COUNTY AND OAHU BUT 
THESE SHOWERS ARE REMAINING WELL OFFSHORE. SHOWERS ARE ISOLATED FROM 
MAUI TO KAUAI.

WATER VAPOR IMAGERY...WHICH SHOWS FEATURES MAINLY ABOVE 24000 FT... 
SHOWS A LOW ALOFT NEAR 28N133W...ABOUT 1500 MILES EAST NORTHEAST OF 
HILO...NEAR 28N133W WITH A TROUGH EXTENDING THROUGH 16N153W...ABOUT 
300 MILES SOUTHEAST OF HILO...TO 09N165W. OVER THE PAST SEVERAL 
HOURS...THE LOW HAS BEEN MOVING NORTHEAST SLOWLY WHILE THE TROUGH 
HAS REMAINED NEARLY STATIONARY. BECAUSE OF THE TROUGH ALOFT...THE 
ATMOSPHERE IS SOMEWHAT UNSTABLE SOUTHEAST OF THE MAIN HAWAIIAN 
ISLANDS. THERE ARE ISOLATED CUMULONIMBUS CLOUDS...CB...AND SCATTERED 
TOWERING CUMULUS CLOUDS...TCU...WITHIN 180 MILES SOUTH OF A LINE 
FROM 18N 140W TO 15N 155W TO 16N 162W WITH THE MOST ACTIVE 
CONVECTION BETWEEN 145W AND 155W. THERE ARE SHOWERY CUMULUS CLOUDS 
SOUTH OF 20N EAST OF 165W.

A FRONTAL CLOUD BAND IS NORTHWEST OF A LINE FROM 30N 165W...640 
MILES NORTHWEST OF KAUAI...TO 22N 180. THE BACK EDGE OF THE BAND 
RUNS FROM 30N 175W OVER MIDWAY TO 27N 180. THE BAND CONTAINS BROKEN 
TO OVERCAST LAYERED CLOUDS WITH TOPS TO 25000 FT. OVER THE PAST 12 
HOURS... THE SOUTHEAST EDGE OF THE BAND HAS MOVED EAST AT 35 MPH 
ALONG 30N WHILE THE PART NEAR THE DATELINE HAS MOVED SOUTHEAST AT 10 
MPH. A 120 MILE WIDE PREFRONTAL BAND CONTAINING BROKEN TO OVERCAST 
LOW CLOUDS IS CENTERED FROM 15N 169W TO 20N 172W TO 30N 165W. OVER 
THE PAST 12 HOURS...THE SOUTH END OF THE BAND HAS BEEN SHIFTING 
TOWARD THE WEST SOUTHWEST AT 10 MPH WHILE THE NORTH END HAS 
STRETCHED OUT RAPIDLY TOWARD THE NORTH NORTHEAST.

$$
DONALDSON

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.