Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 18:32:27 -0600

076 
ATHW40 PHFO 200032
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
0030 UTC WED FEB 20 2008

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 0000 UTC FEBRUARY 20 2008

CLOUDS HAVE FORMED OVER ALL ISLANDS WITH AFTERNOON HEATING. FOR 
KAUAI...CLOUD COVER FOLLOWS TOPOGRAPHY ALMOST EXACTLY. THE MOUNTAINS 
HAVE BROKEN TO OVERCAST CLOUDS WHILE COASTAL SECTIONS ARE FOR THE 
MOST PART CLEAR.

OAHU...LIKE KAUAI...HAS BROKEN TO OVERCAST CLOUDS ALONG THE WAIANAE 
AND KOOLAU MOUNTAINS AND OVER THE HIGH PLAINS OF CENTRAL OAHU. THE 
REST OF THE ISLAND IS CLEAR. MOLOKAI HAS LESS CLOUD COVER...WITH 
SCATTERED TO BROKEN CLOUDS OVER THE WESTERN HALF OF THE ISLAND. THE 
OTHER HALF...CLEAR. 

LANAI...BROKEN CLOUDS NORTH HALF...CLEAR SOUTH HALF. ON MAUI... 
OVERCAST CLOUDS COVER HIGHER ELEVATIONS OF THE WEST MAUI MOUNTAINS. 
CLOUDS ARE SCATTERED OVER UPCOUNTRY MAUI...AND SKIES ARE CLEAR 
ELSEWHERE.

MOST OF THE CLOUDS ON THE BIG ISLAND ARE LIMITED TO THE NORTH AND 
SOUTH KONA SLOPES...AND THE KAU SLOPES. CLOUDS WERE BROKEN TO 
OVERCAST IN THESE AREAS. SKIES ARE MOSTLY CLEAR ELSEWHERE OVER THE 
ISLAND...EVEN FOR THE USUALLY CLOUDY HAMAKUA HILO AND PUNA DISTRICTS.

OVER THE OCEAN...THE ONLY NOTABLE CLOUDS ARE THE BROKEN SHOWERY ONES 
ALONG A LINE FROM MIDWAY ACROSS THE KAUAI CHANNEL SOUTHWARD TO NEAR 
20N159W. TOPS ARE AT 5000 TO 9500 FEET. A THIN LINE ALSO EXISTS FROM 
24 TO 84 MILES WEST NORTHWEST OF KEAHOLE POINT ON THE BIG ISLAND. 
TOPS HERE ARE NEAR 4000 FEET. SKIES OUT SOME 450 MILES TO THE 
NORTHEAST AND 200 MILES TO THE SOUTHWEST OF THE MAIN ISLANDS ARE 
CLEAR OR HAVE ISOLATED CLOUDS. BEYOND THAT...CLOUDS ARE SCATTERED 
OCCASIONALLY BROKEN.

NORTHWEST OF THE ISLANDS IS A NORTHEAST TO SOUTHWEST FRONTAL BAND 
ABOUT 300 MILE WIDE. THE LEADING OR SOUTHEASTERN EDGE OF THE 
BAND...WHICH IS SOMETIMES REFERRED TO AS A ROPE CLOUD...RUNS FROM 
30N158W TO 25N170W AND 21N160W. SOME OF THE CLOUDS ALONG THE ROPE 
CLOUD EXTEND UP TO 16000 FEET...WHILE THE VAST MAJORITY OF CLOUDS 
GO UP TO ONLY 5000 FEET. OVER THE LAST 6 HOURS...THE FRONT HAS BEEN 
MOVING TO THE SOUTHEAST AT 11 KNOTS.

$$

CRAIG

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.