Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2008 06:27:48 -0600

294 
ATHW40 PHFO 231227
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
1230 UTC WED JAN 23 2008

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 1200 UTC JANUARY 23 2008

A COLD FRONT APPROACHING THE DATE LINE HAS AN ASSOCIATED CLOUD BAND 
THAT EXTENDS FROM 177E TO 170W AND AS FAR SOUTH AS 22N. THE BAND IS 
MADE UP OF OVERCAST LAYERED CLOUDS WITH SCATTERED EMBEDDED 
THUNDERSTORMS ALONG THE WESTERN EDGE OF THE BAND. THE BAND EXTENDS 
WELL NORTH TO THE CENTER OF THE LOW NEAR THE ALEUTIAN ISLANDS. CLOUD 
TOPS ASSOCIATED WITH THE THUNDERSTORMS SOUTH OF 30N ARE REACHING AS 
HIGH AS 42 THOUSAND FEET. 

NEAR THE SURFACE SOUTH OF 25N...LOW STRATOCUMULUS /SC/ ARE MOVING 
GENERALLY WEST AROUND A HIGH PRESSURE CENTERED FAR NORTH OF THE 
ISLANDS. MOST SC ARE MOVING 20 TO 25 MPH AND CLOUD COVERAGE IS 
SCATTERED WITH PATCHES OF BROKEN SKIES. BETWEEN 25N AND 30N...FROM 
140W TO 150W LOW BROKEN STRATUS AND SC ARE MOVING SOUTH AT 15 
MPH...FROM 150W TO 170W LOW SC ARE MOVING WEST AT 20 MPH...AND FROM 
170W TO 180 CIRRUS IS COVERING THE VIEW OF THE LOW CLOUDS...BUT 
FROM ALL INDICATIONS THE LOW CLOUDS ARE MOVING NORTH NEAR 25 MPH. 

THE SUBTROPICAL JET EMANATES OUT OF THE TROPICS NEAR 10N 160W AND 
HEADS EAST NORTHEAST CROSSING 140W AT 25N. THE 50 TO 80 MPH JET IS 
CREATING MID AND HIGH BROKEN CIRRUS ALONG ITS PATH FROM 160W TO 150W 
AND THEN AGAIN FROM 143W TO POINTS EAST.

OVER THE ISLANDS...WINDWARD AREAS REMAIN WITH SCATTERED TO BROKEN SC 
WITH SOME ISOLATED SHOWERS. LEEWARD SECTIONS OF ALL THE ISLANDS ARE 
MOSTLY CLEAR WITH SOME PASSING SC. 

$$

MORRISON

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.