Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 05 Jan 2008 23:37:42 -0600

383 
ATHW40 PHFO 060537
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
0530 UTC SUN JAN 06 2008

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 0500 UTC JANUARY 06 2008

OVER THE PAST 5 HOURS...CLOUD COVER HAS CHANGED LITTLE AROUND THE 
MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS. BROKEN TO OVERCAST LOW CLOUDS COVER MOST 
AREAS OF KAUAI AND OAHU. CLOUDS ARE SCATTERED OVER MOST AREAS OF THE 
ISLANDS IN MAUI COUNTY BUT BROKEN LOW CLOUDS COVER THE SOUTHWEST TIP 
AND THE EAST QUARTER OF MOLOKAI...THE NORTH TIP OF LANAI AND WEST 
MAUI FROM KAPALUA TO KAHAKULOA. BROKEN LOW CLOUDS COVER THE LOWER 
SLOPES AROUND MOST OF THE BIG ISLAND AND THESE CLOUDS ARE SPREADING 
ACROSS THE COAST AND OFFSHORE FROM HAWAIIAN OCEANVIEW ESTATES TO 
UPOLU POINT. CLOUDS ARE SCATTERED ELSEWHERE ALONG THE COAST...ALONG 
THE LOWER SLOPES FROM HONOKAA TO HAKALAU AND OVER THE KAU DESERT. 
SKIES ARE CLEAR OVER THE INTERIOR ABOVE ABOUT 5000 FEET OF ELEVATION.

THE LOW LEVEL FLOW SPLITS NEAR THE BIG ISLAND. LOW CLOUD MOTIONS 
SOUTH OF THE BIG ISLAND ARE FROM THE EAST AT 20 TO 25 MPH WHILE LOW 
CLOUD MOTIONS NORTHEAST OF THE ISLANDS ARE FROM THE EAST SOUTHEAST 
AT 20 TO 25 MPH. THERE ARE SCATTERED TO BROKEN LOW CLOUD UPSTREAM TO 
THE EAST OF THE ISLANDS. MOST OF THESE CLOUDS ARE PASSING OFFSHORE 
OF THE ISLANDS. CLOUD PLUMES IN THE LEE OF THE ISLANDS HAVE SHIFTED 
NORTH AS THE LOW LEVEL FLOW HAS VEERED TO EAST SOUTHEAST. THE CLOUD 
PLUME IN THE LEE OF MOLOKAI NOW EXTENDS UP OVER OAHU. RADARS SHOW 
MOSTLY ISOLATED LIGHT SHOWERS AROUND THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS BUT 
THERE ARE NUMEROUS LIGHT TO MODERATE SHOWERS OVER THE KOOLAU 
MOUNTAINS OF OAHU.

SOME OF THE CLOUDS AROUND THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS ARE PART OF A 
120 MILE WIDE BAND OF BROKEN LOW CLOUDS CENTERED FROM 21N 140W TO 
20N 150W TO 120 MILES NORTH OF KAUAI TO 180 MILES WEST SOUTHWEST OF 
KAUAI TO 26N 168W TO 30N 168W. THE PART OF THE BAND NEAR THE MAIN 
HAWAIIAN ISLANDS HAS BEEN MOVING NORTHWEST SLOWLY OVER THE PAST 5 
HOURS. A LARGE AREA OF STABLE...BROKEN TO OVERCAST SC IS NORTHEAST 
OF A LINE FROM 24N 140W TO 24N 150W TO 30N 165W.

A 350 MILE WIDE BAND OF THICK LAYERED CLOUDS AND ISOLATED TOWERING 
CUMULUS CLOUDS IS NORTHWEST OF A LINE FROM 30N 172W TO 26N 173W TO 
22N 180. THIS BAND...WHICH CONTAINS A FRONT AND ASSOCIATED 
CONVERGENCE LINES...HAS BEEN MOVING TOWARDS THE EAST SOUTHEAST AT 30 
MPH OVER THE PAST 5 HOURS.

$$
DONALDSON

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.