Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2008 23:30:18 -0600

597 
ATHW40 PHFO 130530
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
0530 UTC WED FEB 13 2008

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 0500 UTC FEBRUARY 13 2008

WATER VAPOR IMAGERY SHOWED AN UPPER LEVEL RIDGE OF HIGH PRESSURE 
OVER THE STATE.  THE RIDGE AXIS EXTENDED ROUGHLY THROUGH 30N 150W 
ACROSS THE CENTRAL PART OF THE ISLAND CHAIN...AROUND OAHU OR 
MOLOKAI...TO AROUND 17N 161W.  THE UPPER RIDGE WAS HELPING TO KEEP 
THE WEATHER ON THE QUIET SIDE AROUND THE STATE THIS TUESDAY EVENING. 

A WEAK SURFACE RIDGE EXTENDED SOUTHWESTWARD FROM NEAR 30N 144W TO 
NEAR KAUAI TO AROUND 19N 170W.  FAIRLY SPARSE PATCHES SCATTERED TO 
BROKEN LOW CLOUDS WERE FLOWING WESTWARD SOUTH OF THE RIDGE AND 
NORTHWARD NORTH OF THE RIDGE IN THE VICINITY OF THE HAWAIIAN 
ISLANDS.  THE LOW CLOUDS NEAR THE ISLANDS WERE TRAVELING ALONG NEAR 
15 MILES AN HOUR.  FEW CLOUDS WERE NOTED FROM KAUAI TO MAUI AT 7 
PM.  THE BIG ISLAND HAD THE MOST CLOUDS WITH BROKEN TO OVERCAST LOW 
CLOUDINESS ALONG THE WINDWARD COASTS AND SLOPES.

THE LEADING EDGE OF A FRONTAL CLOUD BAND NORTHWEST OF KAUAI RAN 
THROUGH 30N 164W TO 26N 170W TO 23N 180.  THE FRONT WAS MOVING EAST 
NEAR 20 MILES AN HOUR BETWEEN 25N AND 30N WITH THE SOUTHERN PART 
LAGGING BEHIND.  THE FRONTAL BAND CONSISTED OF BROKEN TO OVERCAST 
MULTI-LAYERED CLOUDS WITH A HANDFUL OF WEAK ISOLATED THUNDERSTORMS 
ALONG THE EAST EDGE NORTH OF 25N. 

$$ 

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.