Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 23:12:30 -0600

253 
ATHW40 PHFO 200512
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
0530 UTC WED FEB 20 2008

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 0500 UTC FEBRUARY 20 2008

A BAND OF LAYERED LOW TO MIDDLE CLOUDS ASSOCIATED WITH A FRONT 
EXTENDED ACROSS HAWAIIAN WATERS WITHIN 175 MILES OF THE LINE FROM 
24N 180 TO 30N 163W AND FURTHER SOUTHWEST AND NORTHEAST. THIS 
FEATURE MOVED EAST SLOWLY. A STREAK OF LAYERED MIDDLE TO HIGH CLOUDS 
OBSCURED LOWER CLOUDS FURTHER TO THE NORTHWEST.

TO THE SOUTH...THERE WAS LITTLE INDICATION OF THUNDERSTORM ACTIVITY 
IN THE REGION WHERE THE ITCZ USUALLY FORMS.

OTHERWISE...SPARSE CUMULUS AND STRATOCUMULUS CLOUDS PREVAILED ACROSS 
HAWAIIAN WATERS. THESE CLOUDS WERE ORGANIZED MAINLY INTO LOOSE 
CLUMPS AND BANDS FROM 40 TO 200 MILES ACROSS...THOUGH INDIVIDUAL 
SMALL CUMULI WERE PRESENT AS WELL. NORTH OF 20N...THE CUMULI 
ORGANIZED INTO THIN FILAMENTS EXTENDING MOSTLY FROM EAST TO WEST... 
WHILE SOUTH OF 20N ROUNDED CLUMPS WERE MORE COMMON. THESE CLOUDS 
GENERALLY ROSE TO HEIGHTS OF 5000 TO 8000 FEET...THOUGH A FEW CUMULI 
APPROACHED 10000 FEET. SOUTH OF 20N...THEY TENDED TO MOVE TOWARD THE 
WEST SOUTHWEST AT 15 TO 20 MILES AN HOUR...WHILE NORTH OF 20N THEY 
CURVED BACK TOWARD THE NORTH TO NORTHEAST AT 10 TO 20 MILES AN HOUR.

ACROSS THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS...CLOUD COVER CONSISTED MOSTLY OF 
DAYTIME CUMULUS BUILDUPS INLAND AND ASSOCIATED LAYERED DEBRIS 
CLOUDS. AREAS WITH THE LEAST CLOUD COVER WERE LIMITED MAINLY TO 
SOUTH KAUAI...WEST MOLOKAI...COASTAL LANAI...COASTAL MAUI...THE 
SUMMIT OF HALEAKALA ON MAUI...THE VICINITY OF CAPE KUMUKAHI ON THE 
BIG ISLAND...AND THE INTERIOR UPLANDS OF THE BIG ISLAND ABOVE 
ELEVATIONS OF ABOUT 5000 FEET. SNOW CAPS WERE VISIBLE ON THE SUMMITS 
OF MAUNA KEA AND MAUNA LOA ON THE BIG ISLAND. THESE CLOUDS GENERALLY 
ROSE TO HEIGHTS OF 5000 TO 7000 FEET. RADAR DATA FROM NEAR THE 
ISLANDS SHOWED LITTLE OR NO PRECIPITATION.

$$

RYSHKO

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.