Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 03 Feb 2008 18:26:04 -0600

554 
ATHW40 PHFO 040025
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
0030 UTC MON FEB 04 2008

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 0000 UTC FEBRUARY 04 2008

AN UPPER TROUGH PERSISTS JUST WEST OF THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS THIS 
AFTERNOON...WITH AN AXIS EXTENDING THROUGH 31N164W AND 20N168W. 
ISOLATED CUMULONIMBUS...CB...ARE INCREASING JUST EAST OF THE TROUGH 
AXIS...NORTHWEST OF A LINE FROM 28N158W TO KAUAI TO 23N164W. BROKEN 
TO OVERCAST LAYERED CLOUDS MARK THE EASTERN FLANK OF THE UPPER 
TROUGH SOUTH AND EAST OF A LINE FROM 29N140W TO 29N150W TO MAUI TO 
19N160W. THESE LAYERED CLOUDS COVER THE BIG ISLAND AND 
MAUI...BLOCKING THE VIEW OF LOW CLOUDS THERE. 

A 300 MILE WIDE BAND OF OVERCAST LAYERED CLOUDS NORTH AND WEST OF A 
LINE FROM 50N150W TO 45N160W TO 40N162W TO 30N168W TO 28N175W MARKS 
A COLD FRONT FAR NORTHWEST OF THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS. CB PERSIST 
NEAR THE LEADING EDGE OF THIS CLOUD BAND...MAINLY WITHIN 30 MILES OF 
A LINE FROM 33N169W TO 28N178W. THAT PORTION OF THE CLOUD BAND SOUTH 
OF 40N IS MOVING EAST AT ABOUT 30 MPH. 

LOW CLOUDS ARE MOVING ACROSS LOCAL HAWAIIAN WATERS TOWARDS THE 
NORTHWEST AT 20 TO 25 MPH THIS AFTERNOON. WHILE VIEWS OF THE BIG 
ISLAND AND MAUI ARE MOSTLY BLOCKED...COLD CONVECTIVE CLOUD TOPS ARE 
NOTED ABOVE PUNA DISTRICT...EXTENDING JUST OFFSHORE TO THE EAST. 
CONVECTIVE CLOUD TOPS AS COOL AS MINUS 52 DEGREES C ARE NOTED ACROSS 
THE NORTHERN HALF OF KAUAI. OAHU HAS BROKEN TO OVERCAST LOW CLOUDS 
ACROSS ITS EASTERN HALF. MOLOKAI HAS BROKEN LOW CLOUDS ACROSS ITS 
EASTERN THIRD WITH SCATTERED TO BROKEN LOW CLOUDS ELSEWHERE...WHILE 
LANAI APPEARS TO HAVE BROKEN LOW CLOUDS ACROSS MAUKA AREAS. 
ADDITIONAL CB APPEAR TO BE FORMING OUTSIDE LOCAL WATERS TO THE 
SOUTHWEST...WITHIN A 30 TO 60 MILE WIDE BAND FROM 110 MILES WEST OF 
THE BIG ISLAND TO 90 MILES SOUTH OF KAUAI. ALL OF THIS ACTIVITY 
APPEARS TO BE MOVING TOWARDS THE NORTHWEST AT 15 TO 20 MPH. 

$$
POWELL

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.