Subject: Western Pacific: Synoptic Discussion For The Marianas

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2008 01:22:06 -0600

377 
FXPQ60 PGUM 110722
AFDPQ 

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE TIYAN GU
522 PM CHST MON FEB 11 2008

.SYNOPSIS...
SURFACE ANALYSIS SHOWS SURFACE RIDGE RUNNING THROUGH THE MARIANAS
ALONG 17-18N. SOUTH OF THE RIDGE...TRADES ARE MUCH WEAKER THAN
OVER THE WEEKEND. SATELLITE AND RADAR SHOW ONLY VERY ISOLATED
LIGHT SHOWERS WITH MOSTLY DRY STRATO-CUMULUS ACROSS THE REGION. A
SHEAR LINE IS SITUATED ABOUT 400 MILES NW OF THE ISLANDS. 

&&

.DISCUSSION...
GFS KEEPS DRY AIR IN PLACE THROUGH WEDNESDAY...WITH VIRUALLY NO
RAINFALL. WILL KEEP SLT CHC IN THROUGH WED NIGHT...BUT IT REALLY
IS A VERY SLIGHT CHANCE INDEED. THE SHEAR LINE NW OF THE ISLANDS
IS FORECAST BY GFS/UKMET TO APPROACH LATE IN THE WEEK...BRINGING
DEEPER MOISTURE AND ISOLATED SHOWERS IN BY THURSDAY.

&&

.MARINE/SURF...
WW3 MODEL SHOWS NORTH SWELL INCREASING OVER THE COURSE OF THE
WEEK...PROBABLY RESULTING IN HAZARDOUS SURF ON NORTH FACING REEFS
BY THURSDAY. UNTIL THEN...MODERATE RIP CURRENT RISK CONTINUES
THROUGH WEDNESDAY.

&&

.EASTERN MICRONESIA...
EARLIER FORECAST STILL HOLDS PRETTY GOOD. DELAYED SHOWERS ENDING 
OVER KOSRAE TO TUESDAY EVENING AS MORE SHOWERS ARE SHOWING UPSTREAM 
ON VISIBLE SATELLITE. ADDED A PERIOD OF EAST WIND OVER POHNPEI AND 
KOSRAE FOR TRANSITION FROM SOUTHEAST TO NORTHEAST WIND. DRY WEATHER 
WILL SPREAD FROM THE MARSHALL ISLANDS INTO KOSRAE AND POHNPEI BY 
WEDNESDAY.

HIGH SURF ADVISORY OVER KOSRAE IS CANCELLED AS LATEST MODEL GUIDANCE 
INDICATES SURF HEIGHTS DROPPING BELOW ADVISORY CRITERIA THIS EVENING.

&&

.WESTERN MICRONESIA...
OVERALL SYNOPTICS HAS NOT CHANGED WITH NEAR-EQUATORIAL TROUGH STILL 
DOMINATING WEATHER OVER PALAU INTO TUESDAY AFTERNOON. OUTFLOW 
BOUNDARIES FROM CONVECTION ASSOCIATED WITH THIS TROUGH HAVE BEEN
PROVIDING CLOUDINESS AND A FEW SHOWERS OVER YAP. THEREFORE
INCREASED CLOUD COVERAGE FOR YAP TONIGHT AND TUESDAY. CONDITIONS
OVER CHUUK ARE ALMOST A CARBON COPY OF PALAU. THEY WILL ALSO
IMPROVE BY TUESDAY NIGHT AS TRADE-WIND CONVERGENCE LOSES ITS GRIP
OVER THE AREA.

NORTH SWELLS GENERATED BY A STRONG COLD FRONT NORTH OF THE MARIANAS 
WILL BE ARRIVING OVER YAP AND PALAU THURSDAY EVENING INTO FRIDAY 
NIGHT. AT THIS TIME...A BORDERLINE HIGH SURF ADVISORY IS POSSIBLE 
DURING THIS 12 TO 24 HOUR PERIOD.

&&

.GUM WATCHES/WARNINGS/ADVISORIES...
GU...NONE.
MARIANAS WATERS...NONE.
&&

$$

MIDDLEBROOKE/CHAN

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.