Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 Feb 2008 06:08:14 -0600

058 
ATHW40 PHFO 081208
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
1230 UTC FRI FEB 08 2008

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 1200 UTC FEBRUARY 08 2008

WATER VAPOR IMAGES SHOWED A TROUGH OF LOW PRESSURE IN THE MIDDLE TO 
UPPER ATMOSPHERE EXTENDING ABOUT 600 MILES BOTH NORTHEAST AND 
SOUTHWEST FROM THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS. THIS FEATURE DRIFTED EAST 
SLOWLY AS A RIDGE OF HIGH PRESSURE STRENGTHENED TO THE WEST AND 
TILTED SOUTHEAST GRADUALLY. A BAND OF THIN BUT THICKENING MIDDLE TO 
HIGH LAYERED CLOUDS UP TO ABOUT 150 MILES WIDE EXTENDED ALONG THE 
AXIS OF THE TROUGH FROM 16N 163W TO 20N 159W TO 23N 157W TO 27N 154W.

TO THE EAST OF THE ISLANDS...A BAND OF DENSE LAYERED CLOUDS MARKED A 
PLUME OF ATMOSPHERIC MOISTURE EXTENDING NORTH FROM THE ITCZ WITHIN 
ABOUT 300 MILES OF THE LINE FROM 13N 146W TO 24N 150W. LAYERED 
MIDDLE TO HIGH CLOUDS OF VARYING THICKNESS EXTENDED NORTH AND EAST 
FROM THIS FEATURE TO 30N AND 140W. SCATTEROMETER DATA SHOWED A 
TROUGH OF LOW PRESSURE NEAR SEA LEVEL EXTENDING UNDER THE LAYERED 
CLOUDS FROM THE ITCZ TO ABOUT 19N.

TO THE NORTHWEST...A BAND OF LAYERED MIDDLE TO LOW CLOUDS ASSOCIATED 
WITH A FRONT EXTENDED WITHIN 75 MILES OF THE CURVE FROM 28N 179W TO 
27N 171W TO 27N 167W TO 29N 162W TO 30N 161W AND FURTHER NORTHWEST 
AND NORTHEAST. LAYERED HIGH CLOUDS ALSO ASSOCIATED WITH THE FRONT 
APPEARED WITHIN 75 MILES OF THE CURVE FROM 20N 165W TO 25N 163W TO 
30N 157W AND FURTHER NORTHEAST. A FIELD OF FAIRLY UNIFORM 
STRATOCUMULI PREVAILED TO THE NORTH OF THE LOWER CLOUD BAND.

TO THE SOUTH...LIGHT THUNDERSTORM ACTIVITY CONTINUED IN THE ITCZ 
BETWEEN ABOUT 12N AND 07N...MAINLY EAST OF 160W. DENSE LAYERED HIGH 
TO MIDDLE CLOUDS FROM THIS AND EARLIER CONVECTION PARTLY TO MOSTLY 
OBSCURED LOWER FEATURES WITHIN 150 MILES OF THE CURVE FROM 07N 166W 
TO 09N 153W TO 08N 142W...AND ALSO DRIFTED NORTH AS DESCRIBED IN 
THE SECOND PARAGRAPH FROM THE TOP ABOVE.

OTHERWISE...CLOUD COVER ACROSS HAWAIIAN WATERS WAS LIMITED MAINLY TO 
ISOLATED SMALL CUMULUS CLOUDS...THOUGH TOWERING CUMULUS CLOUDS AND 
POSSIBLE THUNDERSTORMS STILL OCCURRED WITHIN 65 MILES OF THE POINT 
16N 165W...AND NEAR THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS. THE LESSER CUMULI 
GENERALLY ROSE TO HEIGHTS OF 6000 TO 9000 FEET...AND MOVED TOWARD 
THE SOUTHWEST...WEST...OR NORTHWEST AT AROUND 20 MILES AN HOUR. THE 
MORE DEVELOPED CLOUDS MOVED MORE SLOWLY...AND VARIED IN HEIGHT 
CONSIDERABLY...WITH THE TALLER ONES APPROACHING 35000 FEET.

OVER THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS...CLOUD COVER CONSISTED MOSTLY OF 
CUMULI...TOWERING CUMULI...AND POSSIBLE THUNDERSTORMS WITH THEIR 
LAYERED DEBRIS CLOUDS AT VARIOUS HEIGHTS. THE HEAVIEST RECENT 
ACTIVITY WAS LOCATED MAINLY ALONG THE NORTHEAST COAST OF THE BIG 
ISLAND...ESPECIALLY NEAR CAPE KUMUKAHI...AND MOST ISLANDS WERE 
OBSCURED AT LEAST IN PART BY DEBRIS CLOUDS FROM EARLIER ACTIVITY. 
HOWEVER...OVERALL AREAL COVERAGE OF THE CLOUDS HAD DIMINISHED 
OVERNIGHT.

$$

RYSHKO

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.