Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2008 23:25:27 -0600

039 
ATHW40 PHFO 270525
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
0530 UTC SUN JAN 27 2008

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 0500 UTC JANUARY 27 2008

A COMPLEX ASSORTMENT OF FAIRLY SMALL UPPER LOWS AND WEAK UPPER 
TROUGHS HOVERED OVER THE CENTRAL NORTH PACIFIC AREA THIS SATURDAY 
EVENING.  ONE OF THE MORE PROMINENT MID TO UPPER LEVEL LOWS WAS 
SITUATED NEAR 20N 170W OR ABOUT 800 MILES WEST OF HONOLULU.  IT WAS 
DRIFTING SLOWLY SOUTH.  WATER VAPOR IMAGERY ALSO SHOWED A WEAK UPPER 
TROUGH EXTENDING FROM THAT LOW TO ANOTHER POSSIBLY WEAKER LOW NEAR 
26N 172W AND CONTINUING UP TO 30N 168W.  BROKEN TO OVERCAST LAYERED 
CLOUDS ALONG WITH ISOLATED THUNDERSTORMS WERE COMMON IN THE REGION 
BETWEEN 17N AND 30N FROM 164W TO 171W. 

A WEAK AND SHALLOW UPPER TROUGH NORTH OF THE STATE...LYING NEARLY 
HORIZONTALLY FROM WEST TO EAST...EXTENDED FROM 26N 160W TO ROUGHLY 
24N 149W.  THIS TROUGH WAS PRODUCING A FEW TUFTS OF CIRRUS 
IMMEDIATELY NORTHEAST OF THE ISLAND CHAIN.  THIS TROUGH MIGHT ALSO 
BE RESPONSIBLE FOR SOME ISOLATED THUNDERSTORMS FORMING WITHIN 150 
MILES SOUTHWEST OF THE STATE FROM MAUI TO BEYOND KAUAI.

THE HAWAIIAN ISLANDS APPEARED TO BE LYING BETWEEN TWO BANDS OF 
BROKEN LOW CLOUDS...EACH LYING PARALLEL TO THE ISLAND CHAIN.  THOSE 
LOW CLOUDS JUST EAST OF THE BIG ISLAND WERE MOVING WEST-SOUTHWEST 
NEAR 20 MILES AN HOUR.  THOSE CLOUDS EAST OF THE OTHER ISLANDS WERE 
FLOWING WEST BETWEEN 20 TO 25 MILES AN HOUR.

A LARGE...200 MILES WIDE...WEST TO EAST ALIGNED SWATH OF BROKEN TO 
OVERCAST CIRRUS WITH SOME LAYERED CLOUDS AND ISOLATED THUNDERSTORMS 
BELOW WAS CENTERED ALONG A LINE FROM 14N 166W TO 14N 153W.  THESE 
CLOUDS WERE FORMING BENEATH A JET STREAM STREAMING EASTWARD FROM 
THROUGH 10N 180 TO 15N 146W.  ANOTHER JET STREAM WAS ALSO FLOWING 
EAST JUST SOUTH OF THE FIRST ONE.  THIS SECOND JET STREAM WAS 
DIRECTLY OVER THE ITCZ...GENERALLY CENTERED ALONG A LINE FROM 07N 
160W THROUGH 08N 140W...AND WAS RESPONSIBLE FOR SOME LAYERED 
CLOUDINESS THERE.  

$$

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.