Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2008 23:12:36 -0600

780 
ATHW40 PHFO 130512
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
0530 UTC SUN JAN 13 2008

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 0500 UTC JANUARY 13 2008

A WEAKENING CLOUD BAND ASSOCIATED WITH A FRONT EXTENDED ACROSS 
HAWAIIAN WATERS WITHIN 75 MILES OF THE CURVE FROM 20N 180 TO 21N 
167W TO 26N 157W TO 30N 154W AND FURTHER SOUTHWEST AND NORTH. THIS 
FEATURE CONSISTED MAINLY OF CUMULUS AND STRATOCUMULUS CLOUDS 
ELONGATED ALONG THE AXIS OF THE BAND...THOUGH NORTHEAST OF ABOUT 26N 
157W LAYERED LOW TO MIDDLE CLOUDS PREDOMINATED. THE PORTION OF THE 
BAND CLOSEST TO KAUAI MOVED SOUTHEAST AT 15 TO 20 MILES AN HOUR. 
OPEN-CELL CUMULI PREVAILED TO THE NORTHWEST OF THE CLOUD BAND.

TO THE SOUTH...THERE WAS LITTLE THUNDERSTORM ACTIVITY IN THE ITCZ. 
HOWEVER...DENSE LAYERED MIDDLE TO HIGH DEBRIS CLOUDS FROM EARLIER 
CONVECTION OBSCURED LOWER FEATURES WITHIN 250 MILES OF THE CURVE 
FROM 06N 180 TO 09N 167W AND FURTHER SOUTHWEST.

OTHERWISE...MARINE CUMULI AND STRATOCUMULI PREVAILED ACROSS HAWAIIAN 
WATERS. THESE CLOUDS WERE ORGANIZED MOSTLY AS LOOSE CLUMPS OR BANDS 
UP TO ABOUT 600 MILES LONG AND 250 MILES WIDE...THOUGH INDIVIDUAL 
SMALL CUMULI APPEARED AS WELL...AND A THIN STRIP OF NEARLY SOLID 
OVERCAST EDGED JUST WEST OF 140W NORTH OF ABOUT 22N. THESE CLOUDS 
GENERALLY ROSE TO HEIGHTS OF 6000 TO 8000 FEET...THOUGH TALLER 
CUMULI APPROACHED 12000 FEET. SOUTH OF 20N AND WEST OF 145W...THESE 
CLOUDS MOVED TOWARD THE WEST SOUTHWEST AT 15 TO 20 MILES AN HOUR. 
OTHERWISE...THEY MOVED TOWARD THE NORTHWEST...NORTH...OR NORTHEAST 
AT 10 TO 15 MILES AN HOUR.

ACROSS THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS...CLOUD COVER CONSISTED MAINLY OF 
DAYTIME CUMULUS BUILDUPS OVER HIGHER TERRAIN AND THEIR ASSOCIATED 
LAYERED DEBRIS CLOUDS. AREAS WITH THE GREATEST CLOUD COVER WERE 
LIMITED MAINLY TO CENTRAL KAUAI...MOST LOWER TO MIDDLE SLOPES OF 
HALEAKALA ON MAUI...AND MOST LOWER TO MIDDLE SLOPES OF THE BIG 
ISLAND EXCEPT OVER THE KOHALA MOUNTAINS. THESE CLOUDS GENERALLY ROSE 
TO HEIGHTS OF 6000 TO 8000 FEET. RADAR DATA FROM NEAR THE ISLANDS 
SHOWED LITTLE PRECIPITATION EXCEPT UNDER ONE BROAD SHOWER NEAR 
MOUNTAIN VIEW IN PUNA DISTRICT ON THE BIG ISLAND.

RYSHKO

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.