Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 Jan 2008 06:00:11 -0600

601 
ATHW40 PHFO 011200
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
1200 UTC TUE JAN 1 2008

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 1130 UTC JANUARY 1 2008

AN UPPER TROUGH REMAINS A FEATURE IN THE CENTRAL NORTH PACIFIC THIS 
EARLY NEW YEAR/S MORNING.  ITS EAST/NORTHEAST-TO-WEST/SOUTHWEST 
ORIENTED AXIS IS CURRENTLY ALONG A LINE FROM 28N148W TO JUST 
NORTHWEST OF KAUAI TO 22N175W.  NORTH OF 25N...THE TROUGH CONTINUES 
TO MOVE TOWARD THE EAST NEAR 15 MPH...BUT IS NEARLY STATIONARY 
ELSEWHERE.  THE SYSTEM IS GENERATING SHOWERS AND ISOLATED 
THUNDERSTORMS TO ITS SOUTHEAST...WITH MOST OF THE ACTIVITY LOCATED 
FROM 12N TO 17N BETWEEN 151W AND 157W.  ACCORDING TO THE MOST RECENT 
WATER VAPOR IMAGERY...A JET STREAM ASSOCIATED WITH THE TROUGH IS 
HUGGING ITS SOUTHERN FLANK...AND IS ROUGHLY ALONG A LINE FROM 
17N170W TO 20N158W TO JUST OVER MAUI COUNTY TO 24N150W TO 25N140W. 
THE JET IS CARRYING BROKEN TO OVERCAST CIRRUS CLOUDS OVER MAUI 
COUNTY AND THE BIG ISLAND AS OF BULLETIN TIME.

LOW CLOUD MOTION ACROSS THE STATE IS FROM THE EAST/NORTHEAST NEAR 15 
MPH JUST EAST OF THE BIG ISLAND...AND BACKS TOWARD THE NORTHEAST AT 
30 TO 35 MPH MOVING UP THE CHAIN TO KAUAI.  THUS...MOST LOW CEILINGS 
AND ACCOMPANYING SHOWERS ARE CONCENTRATED OVER WINDWARD COASTAL... 
MAUKA AND WINDWARD UPSLOPE AREAS ON THE INDIVIDUAL ISLES.  ALSO... 
THE STRONG LOW LEVEL WIND FLOW AT THE WESTERN END OF THE CHAIN IS 
FORCING BROKEN LOW CLOUDS INTO LEEWARD SECTIONS OF KAUAI AND OAHU. 
THE LATEST SURFACE OBSERVATIONS FROM KAILUA KONA ON THE BIG ISLAND 
SHOW THAT LOW CEILINGS ARE OCCASIONALLY AFFECTING THE LEE SIDE OF 
THAT ISLE AS WELL.

LOW CLOUDINESS IS GENERALLY SCATTERED TO BROKEN IN THE ADJACENT 
COASTAL WATERS...USING INFRARED SATELLITE IMAGES...AND RADAR RETURNS 
FOR THOSE AREAS BLOCKED BY HIGH CLOUDS SOUTH OF MAUI COUNTY AND THE 
BIG ISLAND...AND TO THEIR NORTHEAST.  AS OF THIS WRITING...THE MOST 
PROMINENT FEATURE IS A NORTHEAST-TO-SOUTHWEST ORIENTED BAND OF 
SCATTERED TO BROKEN SHOWERY LOW CLOUDS THAT EXTENDS TO THE NORTHEAST 
AND SOUTHWEST OF KAUAI AND THE KAUAI CHANNEL.  ELSEWHERE...SHOWERS 
HAVE RECENTLY DEVELOPED JUST WEST OF THE KOHALA AND NORTH KONA 
DISTRICTS ON THE BIG ISLAND...AND FARTHER TO THE WEST AND SOUTHWEST 
OF THE ISLE.

A STRONG SURFACE HIGH IS NEARLY STATIONARY AROUND 800 MILES 
NORTHWEST OF KAUAI.  IT IS THIS FEATURE THAT IS HELPING TO BOOST THE 
TRADE WINDS ACROSS THE REGION.

$$

KINEL

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.