Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2008 18:00:10 -0600

971 
ATHW40 PHFO 240000
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
0000 UTC THU JAN 24 2008

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 2330 UTC JANUARY 23 2008

A BAND OF SCATTERED TO BROKEN SHOWERY LOW CLOUDS CONTINUES TO MOVE 
OVER THE ISLANDS THIS EARLY AFTERNOON.  THE MOST CONCENTRATED LOW 
CEILINGS AND PRECIPITATION EXIST IN WINDWARD COASTAL...MAUKA AND 
WINDWARD UPSLOPE SECTIONS ON THE INDIVIDUAL ISLES.  HOWEVER...THE 
LEEWARD AREAS OF THE SMALLER ISLES AND WEST MAUI ARE SEEING 
OCCASIONAL BROKEN LOW CLOUDINESS AND LIGHT SHOWERS AS WELL.  OTHER 
AREAS WITH LOW CEILINGS INCLUDE THE SOUTH- AND WEST-FACING SLOPES OF 
HALEAKALA IN EAST MAUI...THE SOUTHWEST COASTAL SECTION OF EAST MAUI 
NEAR MAKENA...AND UPSLOPE PORTIONS OF KONA AND...TO A LESSER 
EXTENT...LEEWARD KOHALA ON THE BIG ISLAND.  LOW CLOUDS ARE MOVING 
FROM THE EAST TO SLIGHTLY NORTH OF EAST AT 20 TO 25 MPH STATEWIDE.

SCATTERED TO BROKEN SHOWERY LOW CLOUDS...PART OF THE BAND DISCUSSED 
ABOVE...REMAIN ANYWHERE FROM 50 TO 80 MILES UPWIND FROM THE ISLANDS 
AS OF BULLETIN TIME.  ALSO...SOME OF THIS CLOUDINESS IS EVIDENT IN 
THE CHANNELS BETWEEN THE ISLANDS.  BEHIND THE LINE OF SHOWERY LOW 
CLOUDS IS CLEARING THE EXTENDS FOR MORE THAN 250 MILES TO THE 
NORTHEAST OF THE ISLAND CHAIN.  ELSEWHERE...BROKEN LOW CLOUDS ARE 
LOCATED WEST OF KAUAI.  SKIES ARE CLEAR TO PARTLY CLOUDY SOUTH AND 
SOUTHWEST OF THE ISLES.

A COLD FRONT IS AROUND 1200 MILES WEST/NORTHWEST OF KAUAI AND IS 
HEADING EASTWARD NEAR 20 MPH.  ALONG AND SOUTH OF 30N...BROKEN TO 
OVERCAST MULTILAYERED CLOUDS WITH EMBEDDED SHOWERS AND ISOLATED 
THUNDERSTORMS ARE BOUNDED BY 30N179W 30N171W 22N177W 20N174E AND 
26N180.  THE LATEST SURFACE OBSERVATION FROM MIDWAY ATOLL...NEAR 28N 
177.5W...INDICATES OVERCAST LOW CLOUDS...REDUCED VISIBILITY DUE TO 
LIGHT RAIN AND FOG...AND WINDS FROM THE SOUTH/SOUTHWEST AT 20 TO 25 
MPH.

A WEAK SURFACE TROUGH...WHOSE NORTHWEST-TO-SOUTHEAST ORIENTED AXIS 
IS MORE THAN 500 MILES NORTHEAST OF HAWAII...IS MOVING TOWARD THE 
SOUTHWEST NEAR 15 MPH.  SCATTERED TO BROKEN LOW CLOUDS...A MIX OF 
SHOWERY AND STABLE ELEMENTS...ARE FOUND IN THE AREA FROM 400 TO 800 
MILES NORTHEAST OF MAUI COUNTY AS OF THIS WRITING.

$$

KINEL

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.