Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2008 06:18:54 -0600

144 
ATHW40 PHFO 201218
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
1230 UTC SUN JAN 20 2008

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 1200 UTC JANUARY 20 2008

RIDGING AT THE SURFACE AND ALOFT A COUPLE HUNDRED MILES NORTH OF 
KAUAI IS PRODUCING A MODERATE TO FRESH...INCREASINGLY STABLE TRADE 
WIND FLOW ACROSS THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS.

BROKEN LOW CLOUDS ARE FOCUSED ACROSS WINDWARD AREAS...WITH THE 
GREATEST AMOUNT OF CLOUD COVER FOUND OVER MAUI AND THE BIG ISLAND 
TONIGHT. A SMALL BAND OF BROKEN LOW CLOUDS OVER MAUI AND THE BIG
ISLAND HAS EXPANDED IN THE PAST COUPLE OF HOURS AND EXTENDS 50 TO 80 
MILES NORTHEAST OF THESE ISLANDS. NORMALLY CLOUD TOPS GROW 
OVERNIGHT...BUT CUMULUS CELLS HAVE REMAINED BETWEEN 10000 AND 12000 
FT AS THE ATMOSPHERE IS SLOWLY BECOMING MORE STABLE. OVER THE 
WESTERN ISLANDS AND ADJACENT WATERS...CLOUD COVER IS SIGNIFICANTLY 
LESS AND MAINLY CONFINED TO WINDWARD PORTIONS OF KAUAI...OAHU...AND 
MOLOKAI. INDIVIDUAL LOW CLOUD MOTIONS FROM AROUND THE STATE ARE FROM 
THE EAST NORTHEAST AT 20 TO 25 MPH.

THE ATMOSPHERE OVER THE ISLANDS IS STABILIZING AS AN UPPER LOW AND 
AN ASSOCIATED UPPER TROUGH MOVE SLOWLY OFF TO THE EAST...ALLOWING 
UPPER RIDGING TO BUILD IN FROM THE NORTH. THE WEAKENING UPPER LOW IS 
CENTERED ABOUT 500 MILES SOUTHEAST OF THE BIG ISLAND NEAR 15N 
149W...WHERE THUNDERSTORM ACTIVITY HAS CEASED IN THE PAST FEW HOURS. 
THE UPPER LOW IS EMBEDDED WITHIN AN UPPER TROUGH EXTENDING THROUGH 
10N 154W...15N 149W...AND 30N 140W. A SUBTROPICAL JET RUNS ALONG THE 
SOUTHEAST FLANK OF THE UPPER LOW...TAPPING MOISTURE ALOFT FROM THE 
ITCZ AND GENERATING A SHIELD OF BROKEN HIGH CLOUDS SOUTH OF A LINE 
THROUGH 10N 153W AND 22N 140W.

ELSEWHERE...A STALLED FRONT IS RAPIDLY DISSIPATING 575 MILES NORTH 
OF KAUAI AS A SECOND FRONT RACES TOWARD MIDWAY ATOLL FROM THE WEST. 
THE STRONGER FRONT IS COMPRISED OF A 75 MILE-WIDE BAND OF BROKEN LOW 
CLOUDS AND EMBEDDED THUNDERSTORMS ADVANCING TO THE EAST AT 30 TO 35 
MPH. THUNDERSTORMS REACH 31000 FT AND ARE LESS THAN 50 MILES WEST OF 
MIDWAY. THE STALLED FRONT FAR NORTH OF KAUAI IS DISSIPATING... 
LEAVING A SWATH OF HIGH CLOUDS PASSING 325 MILES NORTH OF THE STATE. 
THE WESTERN END OF THIS DECAYING FRONT HAS BEEN ENHANCED BY THE 
UPPER TROUGH DRIVING THE FRONT NEAR MIDWAY...PRODUCING A BAND OF 
BROKEN LAYERED CLOUDS AND ISOLATED THUNDERSTORMS WITHIN 100 MILES OF 
A LINE THROUGH 29N 167W AND 25N 174W.

$$
WROE

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.