Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2008 18:23:53 -0600

730 
ATHW40 PHFO 010023
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
0030 UTC FRI FEB 1 2008

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 0000 UTC FEBRUARY 1 2008

A FRESH TRADE WIND FLOW IS FOCUSING CLOUDS OVER WINDWARD PORTIONS OF 
THE STATE THIS AFTERNOON...WHILE AN OVERLYING UPPER LEVEL LOW AND 
TROUGH ARE ENHANCING LOW CLOUDS OVER THE BIG ISLAND AND MAUI.

AN UPPER LEVEL TROUGH MEANDERS ACROSS THE CENTRAL PACIFIC FROM 12N 
180...TO 18N 170W...OVER THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS TO AN UPPER LOW 
375 MILES NORTHEAST OF HILO AT 24N 151W...TO 30N 146W. THE NEARLY 
STATIONARY UPPER LOW IS GENERATING UNSTABLE CONDITIONS OVER THE BIG 
ISLAND...MAUI...AND WATERS TO THE EAST. AS A RESULT...A LINE OF 
BROKEN TOWERING CUMULUS CLOUDS OVER WINDWARD BIG ISLAND RISES TO 27 
KFT...DOWN SLIGHTLY FROM 32 KFT THIS MORNING. BROKEN CUMULUS AND 
TOWERING CUMULUS HAVE ALSO DEVELOPED OVER LEEWARD BIG ISLAND AND THE 
KAU DISTRICT OVER THE PAST SEVERAL HOURS. TOWERING CUMULUS CELLS 
ROSE TO 20 KFT OVER MAUI A COUPLE OF HOURS AGO BUT HAVE SINCE 
DISSIPATED...LEAVING THE GREATEST CONCENTRATION OF LOW CLOUDS OVER 
WINDWARD SLOPES.

TO THE WEST OF THE UPPER TROUGH AXIS...THE ATMOSPHERE BECOMES 
INCREASINGLY STABLE OVER MOLOKAI...OAHU...AND KAUAI. BROKEN CUMULUS  
CLOUDS RISING TO 10 KFT ARE LARGELY CONFINED TO WINDWARD AREAS... 
ALTHOUGH BROKEN LOW CLOUDS PERIODICALLY DRIFT OVER LEEWARD 
SECTIONS. A LOOSELY ORGANIZED BAND OF SCATTERED TO LOCALLY BROKEN 
CUMULUS CLOUDS IS SKIRTING JUST NORTH OF THE ISLANDS...WITH CLOUD 
MOTIONS FROM THE EAST NORTHEAST 25 TO 30 MPH. 

THE UPPER LOW IS PRODUCING THE GREATEST INSTABILITY TO ITS EAST AND 
SOUTHEAST. ISOLATED THUNDERSTORMS RISE TO 35 KFT ABOUT 250 MILES 
EAST NORTHEAST OF HILO...WITH ANOTHER AREA OF POSSIBLE THUNDERSTORMS 
600 MILES EAST NORTHEAST OF HILO. THE UPPER LOW AND TROUGH ARE ALSO 
GENERATING SHIELDS OF BROKEN HIGH CLOUDS SOUTH AND EAST OF THE 
STATE. BROKEN CIRRUS CLOUDS ARE FOUND SOUTH OF 16N BETWEEN 172W AND 
154W AND ACROSS MOST WATERS EAST OF 152W...ABOUT 150 MILES EAST OF 
THE BIG ISLAND.

$$
WROE

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.