Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2008 12:30:25 -0600

145 
ATHW40 PHFO 241830
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
1830 UTC THU JAN 24 2008

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 1800 UTC JANUARY 24 2008

A LARGE CLUSTER OF BROKEN TO OVERCAST LOW CLOUDS WAS SOUTH OF KAUAI 
AND WELL WEST OF THE OTHER ISLANDS THIS MORNING.  THIS CLUSTER...A 
MIX OF CUMULUS AND STRATOCUMULUS CLOUDS...MEASURED 70-100 MILES IN 
WIDTH AND EXTENDED ABOUT 230 MILES FROM NORTH TO SOUTH.  THE 
ELONGATED CLOUD CLUSTER WAS CENTERED BETWEEN NIIHAU AND A POINT 
ABOUT 205 MILES WEST-SOUTHWEST OF KONA.  ANOTHER SMALLER CLUSTER OF 
SIMILAR CLOUDS...ABOUT 80 MILES BY 70 MILES IN AREA...WAS MUST 
NORTHWEST OF KAUAI.  CLOUD TOPS REACHED UP TO AROUND 12000 FEET. 
BOTH CLUSTERS WERE MOVING WEST AWAY FROM THE STATE.

YET ANOTHER SIZABLE CLUSTER OR BAND OF SIMILAR CLOUDS WAS JUST 
UPSTREAM OF THE BIG ISLAND AND MAUI.  THIS BAND WAS 30 TO 50 MILES 
WIDE WITH THE LEADING EDGE STRETCHING FROM THE ALENUIHAHA CHANNEL 
SOUTHEAST TO 19N 154W THEN BACK EAST TO NEAR 20N 149W.  THE CLOUDS 
WITHIN THIS BAND APPEARED TO BE MORE SHOWERY DUE THESE CLOUDS 
PASSING BENEATH THE SHALLOW BOTTOM OF A WEAK UPPER TROUGH. 

THIS BAND JUST EAST OF THE BIG ISLAND AND MAUI WAS MOVING MOVING 
WEST OR SLIGHTLY WEST-SOUTHWEST AT BETWEEN 15 AND 20 MILES AN HOUR. 
BUT AT 8 AM...SKIES WERE STILL SUNNY OR MOSTLY SUNNY OVER THE VAST 
MAJORITY OF THE STATE.  A FEW BROKEN LOW CLOUDS WERE GATHERED ALONG 
THE SLOPES AND MOUNTAINS OF EAST KAUAI...OVER THE KOOLAU RANGE ON 
OAHU...OVER THE WEST MAUI MOUNTAINS AND ALONG THE NORTHEAST SLOPES 
OF HALEAKALA CRATER ON MAUI.

AN UPPER LEVEL RIDGE EXTENDED FROM NEAR 30N 167W TO 20N 170W.  HIGH 
LEVEL CIRRUS CLOUDS WERE FLOWING CLOCKWISE UP AND OVER THE RIDGE.  
SOME OF THE CIRRUS WAS ABOUT 250 MILES NORTHWEST OF KAUAI.  BUT THE 
CIRRUS IS NOT EXPECTED TO REACH THE ISLANDS.

$$

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.