Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 03 Feb 2008 12:39:33 -0600

104 
ATHW40 PHFO 031839
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
1830 UTC SUN FEB 03 2008

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 1800 UTC FEBRUARY 03 2008

WATER VAPOR LOOP SHOWS AN UPPER TROUGH JUST WEST OF THE MAIN 
HAWAIIAN ISLANDS...WITH AN AXIS EXTENDING THROUGH 31N164W AND 
20N168W. ISOLATED CUMULONIMBUS...CB...ARE INCREASING JUST EAST OF 
THE TROUGH AXIS...ROUGHLY FROM 159W TO 165W BETWEEN 22N AND 27N. THE 
CLOSEST CB ARE ABOUT 125 MILES NORTHWEST OF KAUAI. BROKEN TO 
OVERCAST LAYERED CLOUDS MARK THE EASTERN FLANK OF THE UPPER TROUGH 
EAST OF A LINE FROM 28N150W TO 17N160W. THESE LAYERED CLOUDS COVER 
THE BIG ISLAND...BLOCKING THE VIEW OF LOW CLOUDS THERE. 

A 300 MILE WIDE BAND OF OVERCAST LAYERED CLOUDS NORTH AND WEST OF A 
LINE FROM 46N160W TO 40N165W TO 30N170W TO 29N175W MARKS A COLD 
FRONT FAR NORTHWEST OF THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS. CB HAVE FORMED 
NEAR THE LEADING EDGE OF THIS CLOUD BAND...MAINLY WITHIN 30 MILES OF 
A LINE FROM 34N172W TO 30N175W. THAT PORTION OF THE CLOUD BAND SOUTH 
OF 40N IS MOVING EAST AT ABOUT 30 MPH. 

LOW CLOUDS ARE MOVING ACROSS LOCAL HAWAIIAN WATERS TOWARDS THE 
NORTHWEST AT 20 TO 25 MPH THIS MORNING. WHILE VIEWS OF THE BIG 
ISLAND ARE MOSTLY BLOCKED...CONVECTIVE TOPS ARE NOTED ABOVE SOUTHERN 
PUNA DISTRICT...EXTENDING JUST OFFSHORE TO THE SOUTHEAST. CLOUD TOPS 
ARE ALSO RAPIDLY COOLING...CONVECTIVE STYLE...ACROSS MAUKA SECTIONS 
OF KAUAI AND ACROSS THE WINDWARD SLOPES OF MAUI. OAHU HAS SCATTERED 
TO BROKEN LOW CLOUDS ACROSS ITS EASTERN THIRD. MOLOKAI APPEARS TO 
HAVE ONLY WISPS OF HIGH CLOUDS ACROSS ITS WESTERN HALF...WHILE LANAI 
APPEARS TO BE MOSTLY CLEAR. ADDITIONAL CB APPEAR TO BE FORMING 
OUTSIDE LOCAL WATERS TO THE SOUTHWEST...ROUGHLY WITHIN A 30 MILE 
WIDE BAND FROM 110 MILES WEST OF THE BIG ISLAND TO 90 MILES SOUTH OF 
KAUAI. ALL OF THIS ACTIVITY APPEARS TO BE MOVING TOWARDS THE 
NORTHWEST AT 15 TO 20 MPH. 

$$
POWELL

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.