Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2008 23:00:08 -0600

129 
ATHW40 PHFO 010500
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
0500 UTC FRI FEB 01 2008

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 0430 UTC FEBRUARY 01 2008

LOW CLOUD MOVEMENT ACROSS THE ALOHA STATE THIS EVENING IS FROM THE 
EAST/NORTHEAST AT 25 TO 30 MPH.  WITH THIS TRADE FLOW...LOW CEILINGS 
AND ANY ACCOMPANYING SHOWERS ARE MAINLY LOCATED OVER WINDWARD 
COASTAL...MAUKA AND WINDWARD UPSLOPE SECTIONS ON THE INDIVIDUAL 
ISLES.  THE STRENGTH OF THE LOW LEVEL WINDS IS ENOUGH TO CARRY 
OCCASIONAL BROKEN LOW CLOUDINESS AND SHOWERS INTO LEEWARD AREAS OF 
THE SMALLER ISLES AND WEST MAUI AS WELL.  BROKEN LOW CLOUDS ARE ALSO 
EVIDENT OVER UPSLOPE PORTIONS OF KONA ON THE BIG ISLAND...AND TO A 
LESSER EXTENT THE LEEWARD KOHALA SLOPES.

IMMEDIATELY UPWIND OF THE ISLANDS AS OF BULLETIN TIME ARE SCATTERED 
TO OCCASIONALLY BROKEN SHOWERY LOW CLOUDS.  SKIES ARE PREDOMINANTLY 
CLEAR TO SCATTERED ELSEWHERE IN THE ADJACENT COASTAL WATERS.

IN THE UPPER AIR...WATER VAPOR IMAGERY SHOWS A LOW APPROXIMATELY 450 
MILES NORTHEAST OF HILO AND MOVING TOWARD THE NORTHEAST AT 10 TO 15 
MPH.  IT HAS BEEN THIS FEATURE...ALONG WITH ITS COMPANION TROUGH... 
THAT HAS BEEN ENHANCING THE TRADE SHOWERS OVER THE PAST SEVERAL 
DAYS.  A JET STREAM...ORIGINATING FAR TO THE SOUTHWEST OF THE UPPER 
LOW...IS FLOWING ALONG A LINE FROM 10N174W TO 19N160W TO JUST OVER 
THE BIG ISLAND TO 24N140W.  THE JET THEN CONTINUES ON TOWARD THE 
EAST/NORTHEAST.  IT HAS BEEN TRANSPORTING WISPS OF HIGH LEVEL CIRRUS 
OVER THE BIG ISLAND...WITH THE MOST CONCENTRATED CLOUDINESS BEING 
FARTHER TO THE SOUTH AND SOUTHWEST OF THE ISLE.

SCATTERED SHOWERS AND ISOLATED THUNDERSTORMS ARE FIRING ALONG THE 
INTERTROPICAL CONVERGENCE ZONE FAR SOUTH OF HAWAII.  MOST OF THE 
CONVECTION IS FOUND WITHIN 140 MILES EITHER SIDE OF A LINE FROM 
07.5N150.5W TO 09.5N162.5W TO 05N178W.

$$

KINEL

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.